• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

☆ UEFA Champions League 2014-15 ☆

Chicharito

Alfrescian
Loyal

Rode & Ribery ruled out of Barcelona clash

sebastian-rode-bayern-bundesliga-19042015_9rsmx9hcjocw1wvibkxzk19q2.jpg

By Stefan Coerts
May 5, 2015 11:56:29

The German midfielder and the experienced winger will both miss Wednesday's first leg after failing to recover from their injury problems

Bayern Munich will have to make do without Sebastian Rode for the first leg of their Champions League semi-final tie against Barcelona on Wednesday due to injury, while Franck Ribery has also lost the fitness battle for the match at Camp Nou.

The 24-year-old midfielder missed last weekend's defeat to Leverkusen due to a muscular problem, but Bayern were hopeful he would be fit on time to face the Catalan side.

However, the Bundesliga champions have now announced that Rode has not been included in the squad to travel to Barcelona.

Ribery, meanwhile, has not featured for the Bavarians since picking up an ankle injury in the 7-0 win over Shakhtar Donetsk back in March.

Bayern still hoped the ex-France international would recover in time for the match at Camp Nou, but the winger has now been ruled out, too.

Rode and Ribery join Arjen Robben, Davi Alaba, Holger Badstuber and Tom Starke on the sidelines.

Robert Lewandowski on the other hand seems set to feature despite a number of facial injuries.

The Poland international resumed regular training on Monday wearing a mask and has been included in the squad travelling to Spain.

"Everything is alright. I will have to wait and see how things go on Wednesday, but I do not have any fear," the striker told reporters.

Stegen

Alfrescian
Loyal

Messi: I don't have any relationship with Guardiola

lionel-messi-barcelona-press-conference-champions-league-05052015_4tkxwquxcrtu1bk5hxnxpscmr.jpg

May 5, 2015 11:49:39

The prolific attacker no longer has any special bond with the current Bayern boss, while he has stressed his feud with Luis Enrique has been resolved

Barcelona star Lionel Messi has insisted that he no longer has a special relationship with former mentor Pep Guardiola ahead of the first leg of the Champions League semi-final tie with Bayern Munich on Wednesday.

The 27-year-old developed into one of the best players in the world under Guardiola's guidance between 2008 and 2012, winning numerous individual and team accolades in the process including two Champions League titles and three Liga crowns.

Messi was the star man for Guardiola's team, but the attacker has made it clear that he does not have a special bond with the current Bayern boss any more.

"We had a great time when Pep was here. We won a lot of titles and I grew a lot – that was the time when I grew most as a footballer," Messi said at a press conference.

"We had a fantastic relationship when he was here. I have seen him a few times since he left, but we don’t have any kind of relationship now.

"Guardiola knows us, he knows us all well. We were lucky enough to win a lot of titles with him. Based on what Guardiola meant to the club in his time as coach, I think he will get a good welcome. He gave a lot to the club and he is from here, but I think the fans will support the club and want us to win the game."

The forward then went on to stress that he does not have any problems with Luis Enrique after falling out with the club's head coach earlier this season.

The Argentina international had a heated argument with the 44-year-old during a training session at the start of 2015 and was then benched for the Liga match against Real Sociedad. Their relationship consequently seemed to be beyond repair, but the prolific attacker has stressed the situation has been resolved.

"I have said before that what happened happened, but since then there haven’t been any problems at all.

"How does Luis Enrique compare to Guardiola? Some things are different. Pep has his way of doing things. Both coaches treat the players well and treat them equally."

Barcelona were beaten 7-0 by Bayern on aggregate when they last met in the semi-finals of the Champions League in 2012-13, but Messi has stressed there will be no repeat of that tie.

"It is an important game for everything that it represents, it’s a semi-final. We remember the game two years ago of course, but this is a completely different game to the one two years ago.

"I don't know who the favourite is. I don't think there is one. Both sides have great players that are used to playing these games. Of course, it's important to get a good result at home. We always play to win and we want to go into the return leg with a good result."

Messi, Luis Suarez and Neymar have already scored over 100 goals in all competitions for Barcelona this term, but the Argentine does not see "MSN" as the best attack he has ever been part of.

"I have been lucky enough to play with some great players. I enjoy the players I'm playing with today, but I can’t say if it’s the best front three. We understand each other well on and off the pitch, but I have had great team-mates alongside me in attack in other forward lines as I have today.

"When you have players of the characteristics of Neymar and Luis, that makes things a lot easier. We have a good relationship on and off the pitch. Luis adapted really quickly to the dressing room and that has helped things work out well for us."

Stegen

Alfrescian
Loyal

Luis Enrique: Guardiola has changed Bayern's style

luis-enrique-barcelona-psg-champions-league-04212015_1nrqak7abck471fy3i1b35v0qf.jpg

Stefan Coerts
May 5, 2015 13:44:51

The two former team-mates will go up against each other in the dug-out on Wednesday, with the Barcelona boss quick to praise his friend's impact at the Allianz Arena

Barcelona coach Luis Enrique has praised the way Pep Guardiola has changed Bayern Munich's playing style but doesn't think his time in charge at Camp Nou will have any impact on Wednesday's meeting between the sides.

The two teams face one another in the first leg of their Champions League semi-final, as Guardiola faces his old club for the first time since his departure in the summer of 2012.

The 44-year-old took charge of the Bavarians in the summer of 2012-13 after Jupp Heynckes had guided them to a historic treble and has since led Bayern to two Bundesliga titles and one DFB Pokal.

The Allianz Arena side missed out on Champions League glory last term after being thrashed 7-0 over two legs by eventual winners Real Madrid, but Luis Enrique feels Guardiola has done a fine job at the German giants.

"I believe that Bayern, since Guardiola became the coach, have a slightly different playing style," he said at a press conference.

"He has maintained the positive aspects and added his own touch. They are one of the best teams in Europe without a doubt. We don’t think about beating Pep, we want to beat Bayern - a historic club in Europe. Unfortunately only one of us will reach the final.

"I don't think Pep has any doubts about what we are going to do tomorrow. We both want possession and we shall see who is in better condition tomorrow. I respect them of course, but other than that, we are motivated and feel we can win tomorrow. He knows every one of my players very well, but I don't think it’s a determining factor for the match. This type of game is resolved by minor details.

"It will be nice for the players to see Pep again. But they feel the match is more important than to see their former coach. There’s always time at the end of the game to say hello."

Luis Enrique then gave his thoughts on the injury crisis facing Bayern ahead of the game, which sees them without David Alaba, Franck Ribery and Arjen Robben amongst a host of absentees.

He added: "Bayern are good enough to overcome their injuries. We have prepared for this match in the usual way, despite the men they will be missing.

"We will try to do the same as we have done all season. We have to score goals and not concede any, which means we have to be a complete team. It’s not just about attacking and defending, we have to do both jobs."

Barcelona remain in the hunt for the treble having already secured their place in the final of the Copa del Rey, as well as sitting top of La Liga ahead of their last four European tie and Luis Enrique admitted he is excited by the prospect of winning three trophies.

"I like the word treble, I love it. But, we know it can go from three [potential trophies] to zero. We know we are in the position to win all three but we haven’t finished the season yet. There are four teams that want to win the Champions League.

"There are no favourites for this match, It's a semi-final. We are playing at home with our crowd - that makes us stronger. The crowd has to be great, supporting the team especially when the opponent is hurting us, I want them to be even more enthusiastic tomorrow."

Stegen

Alfrescian
Loyal

Mathieu out of Bayern clash

jeremymathieu-cropped_1vga25u5okvdr15ibm0j2zplbw.jpg

Matthew Rogerson
May 5, 2015 14:35:27

The defender picked up an injury in training and is likely to be replaced by Marc Bartra or Javier Mascherano at centre-back

Barcelona defender Jeremy Mathieu has been ruled out of Wednesday's Champions League clash with Bayern Munich with an Achilles problem.

The Frenchman complained of discomfort in his right Achilles tendon during training and will therefore miss the first leg of his side's semi-final.

His absences means Marc Bartra or Javier Mascherano will slot in alongside Gerard Pique at centre-back.

Luis Enrique also had fitness doubts over Jordi Alba after the full-back trained alone on Monday, but he will be available for the meeting with former Barca boss Pep Guardiola.

The 44-year-old faces his old club for the first time since departing in 2012 but has his own fitness concerns to contend with ahead of the game.

Arjen Robben and Franck Ribery are both out, along with defender David Alaba, Holger Badstuber and Sebastian Rode as the Bundesliga side's injury list continues to lengthen.

RaphaelVarane

Alfrescian
Loyal

Guardiola will be emotional - Low

pep-guardiola-barcelona-2009-champions-league-final_1wskbc9fs94qj18jzwrti21aeq.jpg

Alec Fenn
May 5, 2015 16:25:33

The coach faces Barcelona for the first time since leaving Camp Nou in 2012 on Wednesday night

Bayern Munich coach Pep Guardiola will be emotional when he faces former club Barcelona on Wednesday, according to Germany boss Joachim Low.

The 44-year-old departed Camp Nou after four silverware-laden years in charge in 2012 and faces the Catalans for the first time since leaving in the first leg of their Champions League semi-final.

"It is a very emotional game for him," said Low. "He has played for Barcelona and of course been their coach and had great success.

"Whether he will benefit from knowing Barcelona inside out on Wednesday, I don't know. At the top level you know most things about the best clubs, there aren't too many surprises."

Guardiola has had to contend with a lengthy injury list which sees Arjen Robben and Franck Ribery both absent through injury, as well as David Alaba, Holger Badstuber and Sebastian Rode.

That said, Low still believes Bayern have enough quality to trouble Barca and is anticipating a tight affair over two legs.

"Of course Bayern have a chance against Barcelona. Barcelona are probably in the best form at the moment but Bayern, despite their injuries, still have a lot of quality.

"For me it is a duel at eye level and I look forward to seeing two fantastic teams in action."

RaphaelVarane

Alfrescian
Loyal

Stopping Messi is impossible - Guardiola

lionelmessipepguardiola-cropped_1h1yros3fkj4u1l3xeby236eb4.jpg

By Peter Hanson
May 5, 2015 18:04:29

The Bayern Munich boss says there is no tactical plan to nullify the Argentine's effect on matches but does not want his players to focus solely on his old charge

Bayern Munich boss Pep Guardiola has warned his players that they have no chance of stoppiong Lionel Messi if the Barcelona star is in the mood.

The 44-year-old coached the Argentine at Camp Nou for four years and enjoyed great success by moving him from the flank to a central attacking role.

The former Spain international will return to the club he represented as player and coach in the Champions League semi-finals on Wednesday and is worried about the impact his old charge could have.

"If Messi is in top form, no defence can stop him," Guardiola said at a press conference.

"There is no system to stop Messi. He's too good. You just have to try to limit him in another way - stop the ball reaching him, but even then, you can't stop him."

However, Guardiola was also keen to stress that focusing on only Messi could prove to be the undoing of his troops.

"It's very difficult to find any weaknesses with talent like this," he added.

"We're going to try to perform as well as we can. We're going to try to better than we usually are. You know the level of respect I have for these players and for Barcelona.

"I think that they have the advantage because I know them but when you think you might know what these players are going to do they do something different.

"I know that from a defensive standpoint it's really impossible to stop them. We can't stop them."

RaphaelVarane

Alfrescian
Loyal

I'm not here for a tribute - Guardiola

only-germany-pep-guardiola-fc-barcelona_5mebp3g1hgmj1grkseddfjfue.jpg

By Alec Fenn
May 5, 2015 18:07:35

The 44-year-old admits he might not celebrate if his side score at Camp Nou but insists he won't allow emotion to cloud his thinking

Bayern Munich coach Pep Guardiola says he isn't returning to Barcelona on Wednesday for a tribute and is fully focused on knocking his former club out of Europe.

The former Blaugrana coach faces his old side for the first time since leaving in 2012, as the two teams meet at Camp Nou in the first-leg of their Champions League semi-final.

The pre-match build-up has been dominated by Guardiola's return to Catalunya - where he enjoyed success as both a player and coach - but though he admits it will be an emotional night, he is refusing to allow sentiment to get in the way of his ultimate goal.

"It's wonderful to be back," he said on Tuesday.

"Obviously it’s very special for me because I have been at this club for many years. Now I am with Bayern and I am here for the match tomorrow - that’s my job and I have to do my best.

"I knew that if I coached great clubs that there would be a possibility to return here. This is the first time of course. I am not here for a tribute. I am here to do my job.

"We have to score, it will be difficult to play well in Munich if we don’t score here. We need at least one goal. It's virtually impossible to just defend here.

"Barcelona are an important part of my life but I am here to win. We have prepared to give our best and I will be very happy if we score a goal, but I don’t know what my reaction will be."

The current Barcelona side still contains many of the names who worked under Guardiola between 2008 and 2012, and the 44-year-old admitted his inside knowledge may well be an advantage.

He continued: "It's hard to find weak points with so much talent. Barca always want to have the ball. We'll see who comes out on top there and reaches the final.

"They have enormously talented players, they are the ones taking decisions on the pitch. Their players know me. But they don't know my players. Maybe we can surprise them."

Bayern head into the game with a host of first team players missing through injury, including forward pair Arjen Robben and Franck Ribery, as well as defender David Alaba.

Striker Robert Lewandowski is also a doubt, but Guardiola refused to use their respective absences as an excuse for a potentially below-par display.

"If we had complained about injuries, we wouldn’t have won the Bundesliga already, we wouldn’t have reached the semi-finals of the German Cup or these semi-finals. I have never complained about bad luck with injuries and I won’t do it now.

"I'm going to talk today about who's playing tomorrow and who isn't. [Robert] Lewandowski has trained and I will speak to him [before deciding if he will feature]. I need all my players to be 100 per cent fit."

RaphaelVarane

Alfrescian
Loyal

Tevez: Madrid tie will be decided by mistakes

carlos-tevez-juventus-serie-a-29042015_1gwmweid68fj41164vemq71r4z.jpg

By Peter McVitie
May 4, 2015 20:15:00

The Argentine believes the semi-final with Carlo Ancelotti's men will be tough and hard fought but believes his side can progress

Carlos Tevez believes Juventus' Champions League semi-final tie with Real Madrid will be won by the team who makes the least mistakes.

The two sides meet in the first leg of their last-four tie in Turin on Tuesday and the striker is expecting a close encounter.

"It will be a difficult, open and hard fought semi-final. There's no favourite, the team that makes the least mistakes will win," he told reporters.

"Here, I have the belief of my coach and my team-mates. They make me feel important. The big secret behind Juventus is the group's mentality, that's what's brought us the success we've had."

Tevez believes he and star midfielder Arturo Vidal can combine to drive the Italian champions to victory and is looking forward to seeing former Manchester United team-mate Cristiano Ronaldo.

"Vidal is in great shape, he scored on Saturday against Sampdoria and has regained his confidence. I hope that together we can make the difference.

"I'll see Cristiano in the tunnel and we'll have a chat. But we'll be rivals the minute the game starts.

"Alvaro Morata has come on leaps and bounds over the past few months and is ready. He won't feel the pressure."

RaphaelVarane

Alfrescian
Loyal

Ancelotti: Bale 100 per cent fit to face Juventus

carlo-ancelotti-press-conference-21042015_p6dcfqpptph319mbp0xoad03g.jpg

By Mark Doyle
May 4, 2015 18:56:00

The Real Madrid ace made his comeback from injury in Saturday's win at Sevilla and has now been deemed fit to start against the Bianconeri

Real Madrid coach Carlo Ancelotti insists that Gareth Bale is in "perfect" physical shape to face Juventus in Turin on Tuesday.

The Wales international only made his return from a calf injury in Saturday's Liga meeting with Sevilla, with the winger coming on in the second half of the 3-2 win at the Ramon Sanchez Pizjuan and setting up Cristiano Ronaldo for his hat-trick goal.

Ancelotti is thus in no doubt that Bale is ready to play a major role in Madrid's Champions League semi-final, second-leg clash with Juve.

"I think Bale is perfect," the Italian told reporters on the eve of the game. "He had an injury but then he recovered and is doing well.

"He played just 30 minutes against Sevilla, but he was fine afterwards. He is at 100 per cent."

The game has come too soon, though, for Karim Benzema, who is still struggling with a knee problem.

Consequently, Javier Hernandez, who netted the only goal in the 1-0 aggregate win over Atletico Madrid in the quarter-finals, is expected to continue up front.

The Mexico international expressed his frustration at his lack of game time during the first half of the season but he has contributed four Liga goals in his last six outings and Ancelotti believes that he has managed the on-loan Manchester United forward well.

"Everybody is happy with Chicharito," the former Chelsea boss stated. "If we are here, it is also thanks to him.

"I was smart when I called him to play and he will remain an important part of the team.

"He has never been a problem because he is in optimal physical and mental condition.

"He can play from the first minute or stepping off the bench. He just has to enjoy the positive moment he is in."

It has been suggested that Juventus will try to frustrate Madrid's much vaunted attack as much as Atletico did, but Ancelotti disagrees.

"This tie will also be equal but Juve are not like Atletico," he added. "They're different.

"I think it will be a different game. Juve also like possession.

"They have experienced players and others with a lot of quality."

Robben

Alfrescian
Loyal

Llorente: Madrid will provide the biggest challenge of our lives

fernando-llorente-juventus-fiorentina-serie-a_zsyc7cmr807v1ftwt9mkhp6ev.jpg

By Mark Doyle
May 4, 2015 18:08:00

The Bianconeri have already wrapped up the Serie A title and are through to the final of the Coppa Italia - but they must now face Real Madrid in Europe

Fernando Llorente is in no doubt that Juventus can win the treble this season - even though they must face Real Madrid will provide "the biggest challenge" of the team's life in the semi-finals of the Champions League.

The Bianconeri wrapped up a fourth successive Serie A title at the weekend courtesy of a 1-0 win at Sampdoria, while they are already through to the Coppa Italia final, in which they will meet Lazio at the Stadio Olimpico.

However, as coach Massimiliano Allegri recently admitted, their dream is the Champions League and on Tuesday they host current titleholders Madrid in the first leg of a last-four showdown.

Llorente freely admits that getting the better of Los Blancos will be tough but he says that he and his colleagues have faith in their ability to pull off a treble.

"We believe in it, and why not? It's pointless to hide from it," the striker told reporters on Monday. "We want to beat Real and reach the final in Berlin: for us they will be the biggest challenges of our lives.

"Winning the Scudetto was beautiful but we cannot allow ourselves too much time to celebrate."

Llorente enjoyed a fine debut season in Serie A after joining Juve from Athletic Bilbao on a free transfer in the summer of 2013 but he has struggled this term, managing just six goals in 29 league appearances.

The Spaniard acknowledges that he has underperformed in recent months but he has been lifted by last week's headed effort in a crucial 3-2 win over Fiorentina.

"It's true that things that not go in the way in which I expected, although I must say that I still managed to score some decisive goals all the same," he added. "I'm rediscovering my best form."

Robben

Alfrescian
Loyal

Pepe: Champions League elimination would not be failure for Madrid

pepe-real-madrid-villarreal-la-liga-05152014_1csteqk1cf48w127xrcdwnmkau.jpg

By Mark Doyle
May 4, 2015 19:22:00

The European champions must face Juventus in the last four of this year's competition and the defender says there would be no shame in losing to such a strong side

Pepe says Real Madrid have a responsibility to retain their Champions League crown this season but insists that being eliminated at the hands of Juventus in the semi-finals would not constitute failure.

Los Blancos claimed their 10th European title last season, defeating city rivals Atletico in the final, and are now in a position to become the first side to successfully defend the trophy in the competition's current format.

Pepe freely admits that Carlo Ancelotti's men are determined to make history but points out that they face a significant hurdle in the shape of Juve, whom they face in the first leg of their last-four tie in Turin on Tuesday.

“We dream of playing another final and winning the Champions League," the Portugal international told reporters on the eve of the first leg. "This is what the greatness of this club tells us we must do.

"But would it be failure if we are eliminated? Not at all.

"We respect all our opponents and this will not be easy. We have to face a serious challenge here.

"We know how difficult it is to play here and, at this stage of the Champions League, there are no favourites.

"This will be a tough game against an Italian team who will want to defend well while trying to win the match with the great attack that they have."

Robben

Alfrescian
Loyal

Dunga: I want Neymar and Marcelo in Champions League final

May 5, 2015 18:09:08

real-madrids-marcelo-vc-barcelonas-neymar_14xwgkesm53q019wzb9h3dqptj.jpg

The Brazil boss is fully supportive of their ambitions at club level, even if it has an impact on the national side

Brazil coach Dunga wants Neymar and Marcelo to reach this year’s Champions League final - despite the prospect of the pair missing their country’s Copa America warm-up clash with Mexico.

Barcelona meet Bayern Munich in their semi-final, while Madrid have been paired with Juventus, as the four clubs battle for a place in the final in Berlin on June 6.

Dunga’s squad are scheduled to meet at the Selecao’s Granja Comary training complex in Teresopolis on June 1, ahead of the Chevrolet Brasil Global Tour friendlies against Mexico on June 7 and Honduras on June 10.

"I hope that both are in the final. It's good to reach the squad motivated. It's good for Brazilian football,” Dunga said.

Technical co-ordinator Gilmar Rinaldi said the coaching staff will talk to the pair's respective clubs ahead of their arrival in order to assess their physical state.

"We hope that Neymar plays in both friendlies,” Dunga added.

“When we chose him to be captain we all had had an expectation of how he would behave. But since he was given the captain's armband [in August 2014], his own performances have matured at Barcelona and he is scoring even more goals.”

Neymar has hit eight goals in eight internationals since Dunga’s appointment following last year’s World Cup.

Marchisio

Alfrescian
Loyal

Juventus 2-1 Real Madrid: Tevez penalty gives Bianconeri first-leg advantage

1340092_heroa.jpg

May 5, 2015 21:36:00

The Argentine fired home a second-half spot-kick, which he had earned himself, after Cristiano Ronaldo had cancelled out Alvaro Morata's early opener in Turin

Carlos Tevez's penalty handed Juventus a crucial lead as they beat Real Madrid 2-1 in Tuesday's Champions League semi-final first leg.

Juve, crowned Serie A champions for a fourth year in a row on Saturday, were rewarded for a bright start when former Real striker Alvaro Morata opened the scoring from close range in Turin.

Massimiliano Allegri's side were soon pegged back, though, as Cristiano Ronaldo - who scored three times against Juve in last season's group stages - headed home a close-range equaliser from James Rodriguez's sublime cross.

Holders Real wasted a great chance shortly before the break when Rodriguez somehow headed against the crossbar from three yards with the goal unguarded.

That miss ultimately proved costly as Juve were awarded a penalty just before the hour when Dani Carvajal felled Tevez, and the Argentina forward emphatically dispatched his spot-kick.

Juve therefore hold a narrow advantage ahead of next week's return leg in Madrid, although Ronaldo's away goal - his 76th in the Champions League, one more than his great rival Lionel Messi - could prove crucial.

The hosts took the game to Real from the off, and a poor clearance from Iker Casillas almost led to a chance for Arturo Vidal.

Casillas was then equal to Morata's audacious lob, but the ex-Real man did get on the scoresheet in the eighth minute.

Tevez's low shot across the face of goal was only parried by Casillas and Morata tapped in the rebound, the striker recognising the goal against his former club with muted celebrations.

Real gained a foothold in the game after the opener, as Toni Kroos' low 25-yard drive drew a fine stop from Gianluigi Buffon before Ronaldo raced clear and dragged a left-foot shot wide.

And the holders' pressure told in the 27th minute. An extended period of possession led to Rodriguez looping an exquisite half-volleyed cross from the right of the penalty area that Ronaldo nodded home from a yard out.

The visitors should have had the lead heading into the break as another flowing attack ended with Rodriguez heading Isco's delivery against the crossbar when it appeared easier to score.

After a cautious opening to the second half, the tie took a twist in the 57th minute.

Tevez led a lightning Juve counter-attack from his own half and Carjaval sent the former Manchester City man tumbling when he tried to nick the ball, leaving referee Martin Atkinson with no choice but to award a penalty.

And there was no mistake from Tevez, who drilled his shot straight down the middle to register his 29th goal of another prolific season.

Real threw numbers forward in an attempt to find the leveller, and Ronaldo let Juve off the hook when he failed to guide Rodriguez's left-wing cross on target.

Juve could have had a third in injury time when substitute Fernando Llorente headed Andrea Pirlo's teasing free-kick straight at Casillas, but Allegri is sure to be satisfied with a one-goal lead.

Marchisio

Alfrescian
Loyal

Pirlo: Champions League final just one battle away

1340502_heroa.jpg

By Miles Chambers
May 5, 2015 22:00:00

The veteran playmaker was buoyed by Juventus' victory over Real Madrid but is taking nothing for granted ahead of next week's return clash at the Santiago Bernabeu

Andrea Pirlo has his sights set on the Champions League final after Juventus dented Real Madrid's hopes of retaining their European crown with a 2-1 first-leg win in Turin on Tuesday.

Alvaro Morata opened the scoring against the club with whom he won the trophy last season, tapping in a rebound from a Carlos Tevez strike.

Cristiano Ronaldo levelled matters with a header in the 27th minute but Tevez converted from the penalty spot just before the hour mark to give Juve a slender advantage ahead of next week's second leg at the Santiago Bernabeu.

Pirlo is thus aware having one foot in the final means nothing if they cannot back up their opening triumph with a solid showing in the Spanish capital.

"There we go! Now we want to reach the Champions League final," the 35-year-old playmaker told Sky Sport Italia after the final whistle.

"We'll battle all the way. We've won this game now we have to play the other leg with the same conviction.

"We're hoping the final in Berlin is on our horizon. At the Santiago Bernabeu next week we need to compete in the same way to have that chance, though."

When asked if he would leave Juve if they lift the Champions League, Pirlo added: "Before considering that we must win the trophy. Then we'll see."

Juventus remain on track for a treble in Massimiliano Allegri's first season in charge, with the Scudetto (their fourth in a row) secured on Saturday and a Coppa Italia final against Lazio to look forward to next month.

Marchisio

Alfrescian
Loyal

Keane slates Bale: Madrid had 10 men against Juventus

1325312_heroa.jpg

May 5, 2015 21:24:00

The former Manchester United captain was less than impressed by the Welshman's contribution in Turin, while fellow pundit Paul Scholes felt that Sergio Ramos also went missing

Roy Keane lashed out at Gareth Bale following his ineffective performance against Juventus, claiming Real Madrid were effectively playing with "10 men" in the first leg of their Champions League semi-final.

The winger was restored to the starting line-up after three weeks out with a calf injury, and just half an hour of game time in Saturday's Liga win at Sevilla, but made little impact as Los Blancos suffered a 2-1 loss in Turin, with Alvaro Morata and Carlos Tevez netting either side of Cristiano Ronaldo's equaliser.

Bale was eventually replaced by Jese Rodriguez with four minutes to go but former Manchester United captain Keane was surprised that the Wales international had lasted that long.

The Irishman told ITV: "It was difficult for Madrid to play with 10 men. Gareth Bale gave them nothing. There was a lack of confidence, he kept making the easy decision.

"His team-mates can't be happy with him. He took the easy option every time."

Keane's fellow pundit, and another former United man, Paul Scholes, was equally unimpressed. He said: "He [Bale] wasn't great. He needs to be better, as he wasn't good enough."

It wasn't just Bale who earned the wrath of Keane, with Dani Carvajal also criticised for the needless challenge on Tevez which handed the Argentine the chance to grab the winner from the spot.

Keane added: "I'm angry with him and I'm not even involved. It was schoolboy stuff; they should lynch him."

Madrid were sloppy all night with Scholes singling out Sergio Ramos, again playing in an unfamiliar midfield role, as another weak link.

The former England international said: "I'd probably say [Madrid had] nine men with Ramos as well. It was a real lack of quality in there from him.

"Every time he got the ball he gave it away. He was hitting the ball out of play. [Luka] Modric was a big miss for them."

Marchisio

Alfrescian
Loyal

Absent Bale, renegade Ramos - Madrid's loss was all their own making

1340112_heroa.jpg

May 5, 2015 22:30:00

COMMENT: There were problems all through the team as Carlo Ancelotti's side threw away a golden opportunity to take an advantage back to the Santiago Bernabeu next week
By Ben Hayward | Spanish Football Writer

Real Madrid live to fight another day. The European champions' shaky defence of their continental crown continued with a narrow defeat at Juventus on Tuesday night. It should have been better for Carlo Ancelotti's side - but it could have been much worse.

Juve controlled the opening phases of this game and had Madrid on the rack, particularly after Alvaro Morata had given the Italians the lead against his old club. But when Cristiano Ronaldo restored parity with a headed equaliser, the game was there for Real to win.

James Rodriguez rattled the crossbar with a diving header late in the first half. It was a key moment, perhaps a turning point. Nevertheless, the initiative was with Madrid at the break. But in the second half, Juve took advantage of Real's defensive deficiencies.

Earlier this week, coach Carlo Ancelotti was asked to compare Sergio Ramos to the great defenders he has managed - Franco Baresi, Paolo Maldini, Fabio Cannavaro, Alessandro Nesta, Thaigo Silva and John Terry among them - and surprisingly concluded that the Spain centre-back is "the most complete" of them all.

For the third important game in a row, however, Sergio started in midfield. That, in itself, was a damning indictment of so-called specialist defensive midfielders Asier Illarramendi (signed for €38m), Sami Khedira (€14m) and Lucas Silva (€14m) by Madrid in recent seasons.

Ramos gave the ball away constantly in a dreadful display that merely served to highlight how Madrid are still struggling to come to terms with the loss of Xabi Alonso in big games, with no real replacement ready to step in. Perhaps the best one of all is Casemiro, but he has inexplicably spent the season on loan at Porto.

Behind Ramos, there were plenty of other problems. Raphael Varane is out of sorts, his head apparently turned by talk of a summer transfer. Marcelo was exposed by Juventus as the Italian side had planned, with notes from Massimiliano Allegri's assistant caught by a Marca cameraman reading "Madrid's left side is weak" ahead of this match. Dani Carvajal's clumsy challenge giving Carlos Tevez the spot-kick that allowed him to win the game from the penalty spot.

There was absolutely no need for the right-back to dive in and Ancelotti's doubts over the defender - who was the last man and extremely lucky to stay on the pitch - appear justified at times like these.

Further forward, James and Isco impressed, with the latter setting up the former for the great chance that hit the bar late in the first half. But both players are most comfortable operating behind a striker and Madrid's midfield lacks the necessary balance in games like these - especially with Luka Modric missing through injury.

Perhaps Madrid's poorest player of the entire evening, however, was Gareth Bale. The Welsh winger is back from injury and his return was supposed to be a boost. Instead, he displaced the in-form Chicharito in the starting line-up and was conspicuous by his absence for most of the night's action.

Effective as part of a front three, Bale looked lost in a two alongside Ronaldo and has never been truly at home for Madrid out on the right. With Cristiano spending most of his time in the centre these days, the former Tottenham midfielder should start in his favoured position on the left. As it stands, however, he doesn't deserve to be in the team.

So there is plenty of food for thought for Ancelotti ahead of the second leg at the Santiago Bernabeu. The good news is that Madrid won't play away in the Champions League again this season.

But the bad news is that, with a performance like this one, it is hard to see how they will overcome Juventus next week - let alone Barcelona or Bayern Munich in the final.

MarceloVieira

Alfrescian
Loyal

Barcelona 3-0 Bayern Munich: Magic Messi puts Catalans in control

By Joe Wright
May 6, 2015 21:37:00

1344942_heroa.jpg

The Argentine scored twice in the second half before Neymar's stoppage-time strike as Pep Guardiola endured a miserable return to Camp Nou

Two moments of magic from Lionel Messi and a late finish from Neymar gave Barcelona a 3-0 win over Bayern Munich on Wednesday in the first leg of their Champions League semi-final.

The clash at Camp Nou marked the first time since his departure from Barca in 2012 that Pep Guardiola had met the team he led to 14 major trophies in four years.

Guardiola had branded Messi "unstoppable" in the build-up to the game and his words proved prophetic as Messi dismantled Bayern with two spectacular late goals.

Having seen Bayern goalkeeper Manuel Neuer frustrate Barca for much of the encounter, the two sides looked set to head back to the Allianz Arena next week with the tie finely poised at 0-0.

But Messi, playing in his 100th European game, produced another sparkling display to put Barca in command, breaking the deadlock with a rasping 77th-minute opener.

And the Argentina forward doubled his tally three minutes later with a superb solo goal before an injury-time third from Neymar effectively ended the tie as Barca went some way to gaining a measure of revenge for the 7-0 aggregate loss to Bayern at the same stage two years ago.

As promised, Guardiola played an attacking side, although that mindset almost cost Bayern in the opening stages.

Barca exploited the extra space afforded to them by Bayern's back three, with Luis Suarez brilliantly denied by a one-on-one save from Neuer in the seventh minute.

Suarez was involved again as Neymar's shot from his pull-back was deflected wide of the post by Philipp Lahm.

For all the hosts' early pressure Bayern would have taken the lead had Robert Lewandowski displayed more composure in front of goal.

Thomas Muller played a low ball into the box from the right flank, but Lewandowski – wearing a protective mask due to facial injuries suffered in last week's DFB-Pokal semi-final with Borussia Dortmund - failed to get a proper connection and shot well wide.

Despite Guardiola switching to a back four, Barca continued to create chances, Suarez heading over from a corner before Dani Alves drew another fine close-range save from Neuer following a superb lofted pass from Andres Iniesta.

The second half saw Bayern tighten things up at the back, but their defence was finally breached as Messi collected a lay-off from Alves and unleashed a low left-footed drive that flew into the bottom-right corner.

But Messi was far from finished and stretched Barca's lead with a goal befitting a game of such magnitude.

After collecting the ball from Ivan Rakitic, Messi teased Jerome Boateng before expertly flicking the ball from his left to his right boot and lofting a magnificent chipped finish over Neuer and into the bottom-left corner.

There was still time for Neymar to all but ensure Barca's place in the Berlin showpiece next month as he slipped free of the Bayern defence and coolly slotted the ball underneath Neuer in stoppage time.

SergioRamos

Alfrescian
Loyal

Ronaldo was better than Messi when I was in Spain - Alonso

xabi-alonso-bayern-munich-uefa-champions-league-05052015_bubw2wn3hof61iwzcrnsmi2r8.jpg

By Alec Fenn
May 5, 2015 19:34:49

The midfielder has hailed the Argentine as a great player but unsurprisingly favours his former Real Madrid team-mate over the Barcelona talisman

Bayern Munich star Xabi Alonso says Cristiano Ronaldo was a better player than Lionel Messi during his time in Spain.

The midfielder played alongside Ronaldo at Real Madrid but also did battle with Messi on numerous occasions during his five years at the Santiago Bernabeu between 2009 and 2014.

However, despite praising the Argentina star, Alonso unsurprisingly offered his backing to his ex-team-mate when asked about who is the better of the two global superstars.

The playmaker said: "Both of them are amazing players. You only need to look at the goals they score. While I was at Madrid, for me, Cristiano was the best."

The Spaniard will come up against Messi again on Wednesday night when Bayern face Barcelona in the first leg of their Champions League semi-final.

Bavarians boss Pep Guardiola says he has no special plans to stop the four-time Ballon d'Or winner and Alonso admits that the diminutive No.10 is difficult to nullify when on top form.

"He's a great player and it's not easy to stop him, but we will try," added the former Liverpool man.

"I've played a lot of times against Barca over the years but this time is going to be very different. We're all looking forward to it and hoping to put in a good game."