• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

☆ UEFA Champions League 2014-15 ☆

Ibrahimovic

Alfrescian
Loyal

Lucas Moura out for at least four weeks

1014982_heroa.jpg

By Harry West
Feb 27, 2015 16:38:45

The Brazilian is set to miss the Champions League clash with Chelsea after surgery on an adductor problem

Ligue 1 champions Paris Saint-Germain have been dealt a blow with the news that winger Lucas Moura will be out for at least four weeks with an adductor injury.

The Brazilian picked up the problem in the 2-2 draw with Caen two weeks ago and has not featured since.

Lucas has been a key component of the PSG side this season, with seven goals in 24 league outings.

But Thursday's announcement will see him miss all of March, including a Ligue 1 meeting with Monaco and a Coupe de France quarter-final against the same opponents.

Lucas is also set to miss the second leg of PSG's Champions League last-16 tie with Chelsea, which is finely poised at 1-1 after the first leg in Paris.

Ibrahimovic

Alfrescian
Loyal

I could have joined Chelsea, admits Douglas Costa

446816_heroa.jpg

Feb 27, 2015 18:28:00

EXCLUSIVE: The Shakhtar Donetsk forward confirms that the Blues were in contact in January and admits the squad were "scared" by the crisis in eastern Ukraine

By Cassio Santestevan

Shakhtar Donetsk forward Douglas Costa has confirmed that Chelsea were in contact over a possible January transfer.

The Brazil international was a target for Jose Mourinho's men over the winter, though the Ukrainian side wanted over €30 million for his signature and the Premier League leaders eventually signed Juan Cuadrado from Fiorentina instead.

Costa had indicated that a move to Stamford Bridge would be a "dream" come true for him but remains thankful for their interest despite the deal not coming together.

"Yes, I had a contact [with Chelsea] and the chance to work with a coach like Jose Mourinho always motivates a player," he told Goal. "I am very grateful for the kindness he showed with me.

"He is a very smart coach and who won [titles] wherever he has gone."

The ongoing crisis in Ukraine forced Shakhtar to relocate their home matches to Lviv, with their Donbass Arena having been damaged during the conflict in the east of the country.

Costa admits it was a challenging situation for the players but has thanked Shakhtar for doing their utmost to maintain order and stability within the camp.

"It was hard at the beginning, and we were all very scared. But, once again, Shakhtar were exceptional, keeping all the players calm in an apprehensive climate," he added.

"Of course, we wanted to play at home for our fans, where we are very strong. But we're evolving with every passing game.

Ibrahimovic

Alfrescian
Loyal

Giroud: I'm embarrassed by misses against Monaco

1006172_heroa.jpg

By Gill Clark
Feb 28, 2015 09:11:00

The Arsenal striker admits that he is hurt by his part in Tuesday's shock Champions League defeat but vows to bounce back against Everton in the Premier League on Sunday

Arsenal striker Olivier Giroud admits that he is embarrassed by his performance against Monaco as the Gunners slumped to a 3-1 defeat at the Emirates Stadium.

The France international missed several clear chances before being hauled off by manager Arsene Wenger on the hour mark.

Arsenal now face an uphill battle to qualify for the knockout stages and Giroud concedes that the defeat was a painful one.

"I am not a better or worse player than three days ago; it is just about confidence and keeping [strong]," he told the Gunners' official website.

"I am really hurting, more than disappointed. It has been embarrassing for me but I have never given up in my career and sometimes I have had tough games like that before.

"It was difficult because nothing went right; everything was tough for me. I tried to keep focused but I understood why the boss wanted to substitute me. It was not my day."

Giroud had been in good form going into the game, having scored three goals in his previous two games, but vows to bounce back against Everton on Sunday.

"When you are a striker, people expect more from you," he added. "I did well recently and scored a lot of goals but, when you miss chances, it is like that - you have to question yourself.

"I will keep working hard and bounce back as soon as possible."

Ibrahimovic

Alfrescian
Loyal

Luis Enrique: There is an English campaign against Suarez

1003382_heroa.jpg

By Matthew Scott
Feb 27, 2015 21:13:07

The Barcelona coach has leapt to the defence of the striker after attempts to whip up another biting frenzy around after his side's win over Manchester City

Barcelona coach Luis Enrique has accused the English media of launching a campaign against Luis Suarez, after claims that the striker attempted to bite Martin Demichelis in midweek.

Suarez returned to England for the first time since leaving Liverpool in July, scoring twice in a 2-1 win over Manchester City in the first-leg of their Champions League last-16 tie.

Despite his goalscoring exploits, many media outlets in the UK instead focused on images that they claimed appeared to show Suarez biting the hand of Demichelis, after the City centre-back put his hand up to the Uruguayan's chest.

The Uruguay international, who has been banned three times in his career for biting opponents, said the reports were untrue, putting it down to a media agenda against him - a stance supported by Luis Enrique.

"Unfortunately, it's something normal in some parts of the world to have these sort of campaigns against somebody," the coach said.

"Suarez already knows he will always be watched, even he has said many times that he made a mistake.

"We have seen this kind of campaigns against players, president, supporters."

Barca welcome City to Camp Nou for the second leg of their Champions League tie on Wednesday, March 18.

Ibrahimovic

Alfrescian
Loyal

Prince Albert: I feel for Wenger

26 February 2015

795316header.jpg

Prince Albert II of Monaco said he feels for Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger after the Premier League club lost on Wednesday.

Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger received sympathy from Prince Albert II, who admitted he was "sort of sad" for the Frenchman after Monaco claimed a remarkable 3-1 victory in the opening leg of the UEFA Champions League last-16 clash.

Monaco put Arsenal on the brink of elimination on Wednesday thanks to goals from Geoffrey Kondogbia, Dimitar Berbatov and Yannick Ferreira-Carrasco at the Emirates Stadium.

Depleted by injuries and suspensions, not much was expected of Monaco in a reunion with former boss Wenger but Kondogbia and Berbatov had other ideas as the pair struck on either side of the break to put the visitors in control.

Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain came off the bench and pulled a goal back for Arsenal in the first minute of stoppage time, but Monaco substitute Ferreira-Carrasco struck at the death to give Leonardo Jardim's men the upper hand heading into the return leg on March 17.

Monaco's head of state, Prince Albert II, who attended the match, conceded he was stunned by the result after meeting with Wenger prior to kick-off.

"I never thought I would see this scoreline here but it's deserved," he said.

"A draw would have been great for us. Before the game I met Arsene and asked him to be kind to us.

"I'm sort of sad for him, for us to have stolen the show."

Ibrahimovic

Alfrescian
Loyal

Townsend: No excuses for Tottenham

3 March 2015

797835header.jpg

Andros Townsend is adamant that Tottenham's light schedule will help them qualify for next season's UEFA Champions League.

Tottenham midfielder Andros Townsend warned his team-mates that there are "no excuses" for the London club not to finish in the Premier League's top four and reach next season's UEFA Champions League.

Having been eliminated from the UEFA Europa League and lost the League Cup Final in the space of four days, Tottenham's sole focus for the rest of the season is the Premier League, with 12 matches to rise from seventh into the top four.

Tottenham sit six points adrift of fourth-placed Manchester United, although Mauricio Pochettino's men have a game in hand, and Townsend urged his team on Monday to take advantage of their light schedule.

"We're out of two competitions but that just makes us more hungry to fight for fourth place in the Premier League," Townsend said.

"It's all to play for and there's no excuses about the schedule, Thursday-Sunday, any more. It's just straight weekend games until the end of the season and, hopefully, we'll be good enough to get fourth place."

The 23-year-old added: "The schedule gives us a focus, a chance to train a bit more and come into games fresher, and prove whether we're good enough to finish in the top four."

Like Tottenham (44 points), sixth-placed Southampton (46) have no other responsibilities outside the Premier League, although Liverpool (48) and United (50) remain in the FA Cup.

Chelsea defeated Tottenham 2-0 in the League Cup decider on Sunday and although Townsend was disappointed, he insisted Pochettino's men will have many more chances to win titles in the coming years.

"We're a relatively young and inexperienced team and our confidence was booming ahead of the final, so we were extremely disappointed to lose, but this side will have many occasions to play in finals," Townsend said.

"We went toe to toe with one of the best teams in European football, having beaten them in the league a few months ago. Hopefully that was just the start.

"We'll only get better. We're on the beginning of our journey and, hopefully, we can lift a trophy in a few years' time."

Ibrahimovic

Alfrescian
Loyal

Bale: Winning La Decima a dream come true

Mar 3, 2015 09:15:00

Hear the Welsh star talk about Real Madrid's historic victory and Andriy Shevchenko recall AC Milan's collapse against Liverpool as part of UEFA's Legendary Moments campaign

Gareth Bale has described winning La Decima in his first season at Real Madrid as "a dream come true".

The Wales winger was speaking as part of UEFA's Legendary Moments campaign, which gives fans the chance to vote for the greatest moment - such as the Spanish club's famous victory - in UEFA Champions League history.

"It's a dream come true, literally I think," Bale said. "When you're a little boy you dream of lifting the Champions League and to lift the 10th one for Real Madrid is special and one that will go down in history."

To take part in the Legendary Moments campaign, simply visit UEFA.com or click the link below, watch video highlights of some of the greatest matches in the competition's history and vote for your favourites.

All registered voters have the chance to win a selection of amazing prizes, including a trip to this season's UEFA Champions League final in Berlin during which you could play on the Olympiastadion pitch!

You can hear more from Bale, Andriy Shevchenko on AC Milan's historic collapse against Liverpool in 2005 and Billy McNeill on Celtic's victory in 1967 in the video above.

Ibrahimovic

Alfrescian
Loyal

Henry: Chelsea can win the treble now

1025502_heroa.jpg

Mar 2, 2015 07:38:00

A 2-0 win over Spurs saw the Blues claim their first piece of silverware of 2014-15, while they lead their league and remain in the Champions League

Thierry Henry believes Chelsea are capable of adding the Champions League and Premier League to their League Cup triumph this season.

Jose Mourinho's men took the first step towards a potential treble by beating Tottenham 2-0 at Wembley on a day that saw Manchester City lose ground on the league leaders with a 2-1 loss to Liverpool.

The Champions League last-16 tie between Chelsea and Paris Saint-Germain is finely poised at 1-1 after the first leg and Henry, now working as a media pundit in England, believes Chelsea can go all the way both at home and abroad.

"I think they can win a treble,"Henry told Sky Sports. "They have all of the quality required to do it. Time will tell.

"I'm so eager to see that game against Paris Saint-Germain. That will be massive. If they beat PSG, you have to go through maybe Bayern Munich, then Real Madrid and Barcelona."

Ibrahimovic

Alfrescian
Loyal

Allegri: Pirlo to return against Dortmund

988342_heroa.jpg

By Stefan Coerts
Mar 4, 2015 11:43:38

The Juve coach expects the midfielder to be fit for the upcoming European encounter, while stressing his team must improve against lesser opposition

Juventus coach Massimiliano Allegri is hopeful Andrea Pirlo will be match-fit in time for their Champions League last-16 second leg at Borussia Dortmund .

The experienced midfielder picked up a knock in the first leg of the encounter and consequently missed the Serie A draw with Roma.

He will also miss Thursday's Coppa Italia semi-final first leg with Fiorentina and is expected to watch from the sidelines for upcoming league matches against Sassuolo and Palermo.

Nevertheless, Allegri thinks Pirlo will be raring to go again on March 18 when Juventus defend a 2-1 lead at Signal Iduna Park.

"I hope to have Pirlo back for the game against Borussia Dortmund," Allegri said at a press conference. "We want to get through to the next round in the Champions League."

Allegri then went on to reflect on his team's 1-1 draw with Roma and stressed that Juve still have room for improvement, adding they must do better against lesser opposition.

"We played well in Rome for 70 minutes, showing compactness and maturity," he added. "Then we switched off.

"We must keep improving. Those final minutes in Rome will help us better deal with similar games in the future.

"We've dropped many points against the so-called 'smaller' Serie A sides. We must do a lot better.

"A fourth Scudetto would be an extraordinary feat for the lads. But it's not a given, we can't lose sight of our target."

Juventus remain at the top of Serie A, holding a nine-point lead over second-placed Roma.

Ibrahimovic

Alfrescian
Loyal

PSG can win quadruple - Blanc

964902_heroa.jpg

Peter McVitie
Mar 5, 2015 09:53:11

The Ligue 1 side are still in the running for four trophies and though their coach admits it's a tough ask, he says they can win the lot

Laurent Blanc believes Paris Saint-Germain can win the quadruple after his side beat Monaco in the Coupe de France quarter-finals.

Goals from David Luiz and Edinson Cavani secured a 2-0 win and a place in the last four for PSG to keep them in the running for four trophies as they maintain the fight for the Champions League, Ligue 1 and Coupe de la Ligue.

"For now the only certainty is that we are in the final of the Coupe de la Ligue," he told reporters on Wednesday's win. "We are not in the final of the Coupe de France, we are far from being champions and we are far from qualified for the Champions League quarter-finals. But we can do it all and that's good."

The 2-0 win over Monaco comes just days after the two sides played out a goalless draw in the league and the 49-year-old insists his team were good value for the win.

"In the two matches, we created many chances against a team deemed defensively strong. This is proof that our game is going well. We scored two, but we could have had one or two more. That means we need more work up front.

"My greatest satisfaction is that since January we are playing every three days and whatever the opponent, we are better than them.

"Defensively, there are individuals who are getting better but there is also a collective awareness which is growing. That was not quite the case in the first half of the season."

PSG are level with Chelsea heading into the second-leg of their Champions League tie at Stamford Bridge on Tuesday but the coach has stressed his side must look to the weekend's clash with Lens first.

"Everyone has the Chelsea match in mind, but this has been a complicated week and the Lens game is an important one that we must win."

Ibrahimovic

Alfrescian
Loyal

Champions League win my career highlight - Kroos

965432_heroa.jpg

By Enis Koylu
Mar 5, 2015 22:19:50

The Real Madrid star is desperate to add to the winners' medal he picked up two years ago with Bayern Munich in this season's tournament

Real Madrid star Toni Kroos says winning the Champions League with Bayern Munich in 2013 remains the highlight of his career.

The Germany international was part of Jupp Heynckes' treble-winning team two years ago, but missed the 2-1 European Cup final win over Borussia Dortmund at Wembley due to an injury.

However, he still ranks receiving a winner's medal in the competition over every other moment in his career, with any of the clubs he has represented.

"This competition is always brilliant, especially when you reach the knockout stages," he told Uefa.

"At this point, the games are tight and you meet the best teams in Europe. The greatest challenge is to show what you can do season in, season out in the competition.

"Of course, the highlight of my career at this level was winning the tournament with Bayern and I will try to repeat that success with Madrid."

Kroos went on to say that he has been thoroughly enjoying life at the Bernabeu since his summer move from Bavaria and has set his sights on success.

"It has been a good start for me," said the midfielder.

"I have been here a while now and it has gone well from the off.

"For the time being, we are first in our league and still in the race for the Champions League. I hope we will be successful. As far as I am concerned, I hope to contribute to that success."

Ibrahimovic

Alfrescian
Loyal

Racism victim rejects Chelsea offer to visit Stamford Bridge

1003862_heroa.jpg

By Harry West
Mar 6, 2015 18:31:00

Souleymane S, the man denied access to a Paris Metro train by a group of Blues fans before their Champions League game in February, remains troubled after the incident

Souleymane S, the man denied access to a Paris Metro train by a number of Chelsea supporters in February, has decided not to take the club up on an offer to come to a game.

The 33-year-old Parisian, who is black, was blocked from entering the carriage at the Richelieu-Drouot station before being pushed back onto the platform while the group sang racially charged songs.

The incident took place prior to the first leg of Chelsea's Champions League last-16 meeting with Paris Saint-Germain, which ended 1-1.

The Blues have since suspended five fans for their actions and offered Souleymane an invitation to attend the return leg at Stamford Bridge on Wednesday.

Souleymane's lawyer, Jim Michel-Gabriel, confirmed on Friday that his client had declined the offer.

"He doesn't want to go to London to watch a football match because he's very shocked," he told Perform.

"It's too early and he's told me it's too early for him to go to London and to see the match.

"He doesn't want to see a football match at the moment. He doesn't want to go."

Ibrahimovic

Alfrescian
Loyal

Bayern Munich v Shakhtar Donetsk: Lahm taking nothing for granted

9 March 2015

801598header.jpg

Philipp Lahm has conceded it will be difficult for Bayern Munich to prevail on all fronts ahead of Wednesday's crucial UEFA Champions League last-16 clash with Shakhtar Donetsk.

Bayern sit top of the Bundesliga and are set to face Bayer Leverkusen in the quarter-finals of the DFB-Pokal next month, but the German champions were held to a goalless draw in Ukraine three weeks ago.

That stalemate leaves Bayern needing a win at the Allianz Arena to book their place in the quarter-finals, but Lahm - set to make his comeback after four months out with a broken ankle - is not getting ahead of himself.

"It is always the goal to win every competition, especially when you are playing for Bayern Munich. But that is tough," he told Perform.

"The Champions League is not a title you can win with no effort. It is a hard competition.

"The most important thing is to win the Bundesliga because you want to stay at the top in Germany, plus it is over a whole season. At the end it is an honest result. You can have a bad day and it will not affect anything.

"In the end the best team in Germany is at the top of the table. That’s the reason why it is the most important thing.

"But of course I want to win the Champions League."

Lahm, along with several of his Bayern team-mates, was part of Germany's World Cup-winning squad last year and has compared the experience to that of lifting the Champions League trophy.

"The feelings are similar," he added. "One is the highest possible achievement you can reach with your club and the other one is the highest possible achievement for a national team. Both are really important.

"I think the realisation of winning the World Cup will only set in after we retire. In our business things go on very fast."

And the quality at Bayern's disposal is not lost on Shakhtar coach Mircea Lucescu.

"We'll be playing against a very strong club," he told UEFA.com. "In my opinion Bayern are the world's strongest football team at the moment.

"They have six world champions among their players, and leading figures like [Franck] Ribery or [Arjen] Robben."

Bayern will be without Xabi Alonso, who was dismissed in the first leg, while Taras Stepanenko returns from suspension for Shakhtar.

Ibrahimovic

Alfrescian
Loyal

Chelsea v Paris Saint-Germain: Cahill hungry for more silverware success

9 March 2015

801553header.jpg

Gary Cahill has warned Paris Saint-Germain that Chelsea's recent League Cup victory has left the team hungry for more silverware as the sides prepare to meet in the UEFA Champions League last-16 second leg.

Premier League leaders Chelsea won their first silverware since Jose Mourinho returned as manager when they defeated London rivals Tottenham 2-0 in the Wembley showpiece at the start of this month.

A hard-fought 1-0 victory at West Ham followed in the league as Chelsea made it eight games unbeaten since suffering a surprise 4-2 defeat to third-tier Bradford City in the FA Cup.

That loss afforded Chelsea a rare weekend off and Cahill believes the extra time spent on the training ground could be crucial in Wednesday's contest at Stamford Bridge, with the tie locked at 1-1.

"The cup final was huge in terms of the atmosphere around the club and the dressing room," he told Chelsea's official website. "We were desperate as a team, as a squad, to win that game.

"We came through it really well and hopefully as a group we can use the positive experiences from that and try and build momentum for many more cup finals.

"We have had more time than we usually would to rest up and prepare in training for a good three or four days before the game. We've been able to really work on specific things in preparation for it.

"We know the quality of PSG and the job that lies ahead of us. It's going to be like a final, a big one-off game and we'll be ready to go out there and give it everything we have to get us into the next round."

Chelsea defeated French champions PSG in last season's quarter-finals and return to London in better shape this time around having trailed 3-1 following the first leg 12 months ago.

For big-spending PSG, the match offers the chance to finally make a statement in Europe's premier competition, having suffered last-eight defeats on the away goals rule to Barcelona and Chelsea in the last two seasons.

Former Chelsea defender David Luiz stoked the flames ahead of his return to Stamford Bridge by claiming Mourinho was not special for him - a reference to the Portuguese's 'Special One' moniker.

The Brazil international also spoke of his belief that PSG can progress, a view shared by team-mate Blaise Matuidi.

"Wednesday's match will be a very tough one against a team full of confidence," he told PSG's official website. "But we're heading there to qualify."

Head coach Laurent Blanc will have to make do without Serge Aurier (hamstring), Lucas Moura (groin) and Yohan Cabaye (thigh).

Chelsea will once more be without John Obi Mikel (knee), but Nemanja Matic should shake of an ankle injury sustained celebrating the League Cup win - despite the Serbian missing that match through suspension.

Ibrahimovic

Alfrescian
Loyal

Real Madrid v Schalke: Holders look to bounce back with record-breaking win

8 March 2015

800992header.jpg

Real Madrid are chasing a spot in the UEFA Champions League quarter-finals and further entries into the competition's record books when they host Schalke on Tuesday.

The defending champions enhanced their status as the most successful European club of all time when they beat neighbours Atletico Madrid to collect a 10th Champions League crown last May.

Victory over Schalke would be Real's 11th successive win in the competition, following a 2-0 triumph in the first-leg of the last-16 tie in Gelsenkirchen last month, and this would represent a new Champions League record.

Additionally, Carlo Ancelotti's men are chasing a record-equalling 12th straight home win in Europe's premier club tournament, although they will do so following a domestic setback at the the weekend.

Real went down to a 1-0 defeat at Athletic Bilbao on Saturday, allowing bitter rivals Barcelona to return to the top of La Liga with a 6-1 demolition of Rayo Vallecano the following day.

Defeat to Athletic followed a 1-1 draw against Villarreal and Ancelotti has urged his all-star attack to start firing again as soon as possible.

"The team is compact and focused on the targets that we have to keep fighting for," he said, as quoted on Real's official website.

"We have to fix the problems quickly. It sounds strange to say that Real Madrid has attacking problems when we have scored so many goals this season, but it is the truth."

Schalke must hope these unusual misfiring tendencies continue having endured the Real attack at its most brutal last season.

At the same stage of the Champions League, the Spanish giants beat their Bundesliga opponents 6-1 away before closing out a 9-2 aggregate scoreline.

The assignment remains an incredibly tough one for Schalke, who won for the first time in five games across all competitions on Saturday - 3-1 against Hoffenheim.

Christian Fuchs opened the scoring at the weekend and told Schalke's official website: "We head to Madrid in high spirits.

"No one will be betting on us to turn it around, but there's a chance that it could happen."

Madrid could welcome back influential midfielder Luka Modric, who has been sidelined with a thigh injury since November, but captain Sergio Ramos (hamstring) and playmaker James Rodriguez (toe) will miss out once more.

Kevin-Prince Boateng's booking during the first leg means he is unavailable to Schalke coach Roberto Di Matteo due to suspension.

Ibrahimovic

Alfrescian
Loyal

Porto v Basel: Injured Martinez to miss out

8 March 2015

800984header.jpg

Porto have been dealt a blow ahead of the second leg of their UEFA Champions League last-16 tie against Basel, with Jackson Martinez ruled out due to a thigh muscle tear.

Two-time European champions Porto head into Tuesday's match, which will see the teams start on level terms following a 1-1 draw on February 18, in fine form, having stretched their winning run in the Primeira Liga to six games with a 1-0 triumph at Braga on Friday.

However, the victory over Braga was dampened by Martinez's withdrawal midway through the second half.

The Colombia international is now facing a spell on the sidelines, yet Porto can still call on an in-form forward in the shape of on-loan Barcelona man Cristian Tello.

It was Tello who scored the only goal against Braga, five days after he had registered a hat-trick in a 3-0 home win over Sporting.

Julen Lopetegui's side are one of only three teams yet to lose in the Champions League this season, along with Real Madrid and Chelsea - and are seeking to reach the quarter-finals for only the second time since winning the competition in 2004.

Danilo's 79th-minute penalty cancelled out Derlis Gonzalez's early opener for Basel in the first leg, giving Porto the advantage of an away goal.

Porto can also take heart from the fact they have only lost once in seven meetings with Swiss sides in European competition, while they have also avoided defeat in their last eight European home games.

Adrian Lopez (thigh) and Oliver Torres (shoulder) join Martinez in being unavailable to Lopetegui as Basel coach Paulo Sousa, twice a Champions League winner during his playing career, returns to his homeland.

Basel have only reached the last eight of Europe's premier club competition once before, in 1974, and are without a win in five visits to Portugal.

However, while the omens do not look good for Sousa's side, they are also in good form, with a 3-0 victory over Thun at the weekend making it three wins in a row for the Swiss Super League leaders.

Sousa will be able to call upon Fabian Schar, available again after suspension, but Marek Suchy misses out through a one-match ban of his own, while Ivan Ivanov is out with a knee injury.

Ibrahimovic

Alfrescian
Loyal

Di Matteo: Schalke need 'perfect day' to beat Real Madrid

971462_heroa.jpg

By Paul Thompson
Mar 9, 2015 13:45:01

The Italian takes his side to the Santiago Bernabeu knowing they are huge underdogs to progress to the Champions League quarter-finals

Schalke coach Roberto Di Matteo concedes his side need to have a "perfect day" if they are to stand any chance of creating a Champions League upset against Real Madrid on Tuesday.

The Bundesliga side lost the first leg of their last-16 tie 2-0 on home soil and face an uphill task to overturn that deficit at the Bernabeu.

Di Matteo, who took over in Gelsenkirchen in October last year, said: "To be able to compete against a team like this, our team has to have a perfect day and hope that Real Madrid are not at their best. Then we can get a positive result.

"We have a good group. The players want to improve every day. That's very important."

Di Matteo won the tournament at the helm of Chelsea in 2012 and will draw on that experience against Carlo Ancelotti's men.

"I don't know how much it helps my team, but for me personally that experience has helped me prepare the team," he added.

"I played in the competition, then gained experience as a coach. There is a difference between playing in the Champions League and in the domestic league, and your opponents normally play a different kind of football from the Bundesliga. The whole atmosphere is totally different as well."

Subotic

Alfrescian
Loyal

Ancelotti backs 'untouchable' BBC

1055232_heroa.jpg

By Ben Hayward
Mar 9, 2015 13:53:39

The Italian coach has said he will not drop his trio of under-fire forwards but has called for attacking improvements ahead of Real Madrid's clash against Schalke

Real Madrid coach Carlo Ancelotti says the presence of Gareth Bale, Karim Benzema and Cristiano Ronaldo in his starting XI is "non-negotiable" as he believes the 'BBC' trident forms the basis for his side's identity.

The trio have come under fire recently following some poor performances culminating in a disappointing draw at home to Villarreal on March 1 and Saturday's damaging defeat at Athletic Club which saw Ancelotti's side lose top spot in La Liga to Barcelona.

Apart from Ronaldo's two-match ban earlier in 2015, the three have been ever-present in the Madrid side this year and have scored just 15 goals between them in a combined 40 appearances.

Nevertheless, Ancelotti has ruled out making any changes to his famous forward line.

"As long as they are fit, their presence is non-negotiable because they have given us so much," the 55-year-old said in the pre-match press conference ahead of his side's Champions League last-16 second leg against Schalke on Tuesday.

"I have total confidence in them, without a doubt. There has been an overall dip in form, but not those three. The team aren't helping the forwards very much at the moment."

And he added: "We are going to line up the same way [against Schalke]. We are not going to change our identity because that is how we feel comfortable and that's what gives us results. That identity won't change, let that be clear."

Asked if Bale should be left out after scoring only one goal in his last eight games, Ancelotti said: "[Then] I would have to change the whole team! Benzema, Cristiano, the midfield... I have to make a general assessment for the good of the team. I think Bale is unhappy at how he is doing but he understands that and will try to do better."

Ancelotti has resisted the temptation to call up January signing Martin Odegaard, who misses the chance to become the youngest player in Champions League history, but revealed that Luka Modric will feature after missing the last four months through injury.

"Odegaard is not on the list," the Italian said. "He is doing well with Castilla and I can't say how close he is to the first team.

"Modric will start on the bench. I will give him half an hour in the second half."

On Madrid's poor performance against Athletic on Sunday, the Italian said: "We played with too many touches. The play wasn't fast enough and there wasn't good co-ordination between the passing and the movement."

Ancelotti was also asked about the Clasico clash on March 22 that could ultimately decide La Liga and said he hopes his side can build momentum for that match with positive performances against Schalke on Tuesday and Levante at the weekend.

"We have to go to Camp Nou on March 22 but before that we have to play Schalke and Levante," he added. "Our confidence for the game on the 22nd will depend on that. I hope we can react positively and go there with as much confidence as possible."

Subotic

Alfrescian
Loyal

Porto have to cope without Martinez, says Lopetegui

1062732_heroa.jpg

By Joe Wright
Mar 9, 2015 17:08:36

The Portuguese giants have a handful of injury concerns ahead of the clash with Basel but their coach has told the squad to step up to fill the absences

Porto head coach Julen Lopetegui has called on his players to step up in the absence of key first-team stars when they take on Basel on Tuesday.

Jackson Martinez picked up a groin injury in the win over Braga which will rule him out of the Champions League last-16 second leg, while Oliver Torres remains a doubt.

Lopetegui says his players must be ready to fill the void left by any injuries and has warned they must not underestimate the Swiss champions despite holding a slight advantage after a 1-1 draw at St Jakob Park.

"We have to be able to cope with our injuries, it has to be accepted," he told reporters. "We started this journey without a ticket [after qualifying via the playoffs], we had to earn it and now we are here.

"We are talking about the quarter-finals of the Champions League, the opportunity to be among the best eight of the competition. We’re tied [after the first leg] and Basel will ensure they are at their best to go through.

"We have to overcome an opponent that has had a great campaign in the Champions League and has been doing well in Europe in the past two seasons as well."

Midfielder Casemiro has acknowledged that Martinez could be a big loss but is confident they can progress if they play to their best.

"Jackson is an important absence, but I'm sure that the player that will replace him will do the best he can," he said. "We know Basel have a strong midfield. In this round, the level of the opponents is very high, so I'm positive tomorrow's match will be great.

"We have to enjoy this competition, play good football and win - that's the most important thing. We need a good performance to go through to the next phase of the competition. We have to think game by game, step by step. First, it's Basel, then the quarter-finals."