• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Xiaomi Tops Chinese Smartphone Market

winnipegjets

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Unless u use Alipay, your transaction with Visa and Mastercard will be "rejected". I have never purchase from that site. I gave up when their Alipay account setup screw up.

I used MasterCard for all my purchase from Aliexpress with no problem. If you sign up for Alipay, you get a one time discount. Not interested.

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Xiaomi’s Mi Pad 2 is an iPad mini that runs Windows 10
It'll go on sale in China this year for $200
By
James Vincent on November 24, 2015 04:59 am

Chinese tech firm Xiaomi has unveiled three new products to mark the end of the year, and one of them is a real surprise. The trio of gadgets includes a low-cost smartphone with solid specs (the Redmi Note 3), the Mi Air Purifier (which may bore Westerners but plays into the company's
smart home ambitions), and — last but not least — a 7.9-inch metal-body tablet that looks like an iPad mini, but is available running Windows 10 as well as the company's MIUI Android fork.

This is the Mi Pad 2, which, like
its predecessor, shares design notes with Apple devices. But while the original Mi Pad had a colorful plastic casing that was reminiscent of an iPhone 5C, the new Mi Pad 2 has an all-metal construction that's much more similar to the iPad mini. Xiaomi says the Mi Pad 2 is lighter and thinner than the first-generation Mi Pad, and comes with 2GB of RAM, 16GB or 64GB of internal storage, and a 7.9-inch, 2048 x 1536 resolution screen. The company has also swapped out the Mi Pad's original Nvidia Tegra K1 chip for Intel's 64-bit Atom X5-Z8500 processor, and given the tablet a reversible USB Type-C port. (The image at the top of this page shows a render of the Mi Pad 2 running Windows 10, but Xiaomi says the final appearance of the interface may differ at launch.)

As ever with Xiaomi, the price is one of the most interesting specs. The 16GB Mi Pad 2 will be available in China from November 27th for RMB 999 or roughly $156, while the 64GB version will sell for RMB 1299 or around $200. The Windows 10 version of the device will only be available with 64GB of storage and will go on sale in late December for RMB 1299. Rumors
earlier in the year had suggested that Xiaomi's new tablet would dual-boot Windows 10 and Android, but this is not the case — users will have to choose between Google and Microsoft's operating systems.

Meanwhile, the standout feature on Xiaomi's new Redmi Note 3 smartphone is a fingerprint sensor, located on the rear of the device in a ringed circle — similar to
the design of the Nexus 5X and 6P. The Note 3 has the same processor as its predecessor (a 64-bit MTK Helio X10), and comes with a 5.5-inch full HD display, and 13-megapixel and 5-megapixel cameras on the rear and front respectively. The Note 3 with 2GB of RAM and 16GB of internal storage will sell for RMB 899 ($140), while a version of the phone with 3GB of RAM and 32GB of storage will go for RMB 1099 ($171).

It's extremely unlikely that any of these products will make their way to America though. Although Xiaomi has been slowly expanding internationally (in 2014 it launched in neighboring countries, and in July this year it made its first leap out of Asia to
start selling in Brazil), the company has previously said it won't start selling in the US or Europe for "a few years." It's a shame, as we'd like to see how Xiaomi's Windows 10 device compares with those from other manufacturers.

http://www.theverge.com/2015/11/24/9790250/xiaomi-mi-pad-2-windows-10

Z0wdL9xIx-Y5wOjAuKmQxpobz_-JLIdHgjtWLU8zFJg.0.png

winnipegjets

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Xiaomi’s Mi Pad 2 is an iPad mini that runs Windows 10
It'll go on sale in China this year for $200
By
James Vincent on November 24, 2015 04:59 am

Chinese tech firm Xiaomi has unveiled three new products to mark the end of the year, and one of them is a real surprise. The trio of gadgets includes a low-cost smartphone with solid specs (the Redmi Note 3), the Mi Air Purifier (which may bore Westerners but plays into the company's
smart home ambitions), and — last but not least — a 7.9-inch metal-body tablet that looks like an iPad mini, but is available running Windows 10 as well as the company's MIUI Android fork.

This is the Mi Pad 2, which, like
its predecessor, shares design notes with Apple devices. But while the original Mi Pad had a colorful plastic casing that was reminiscent of an iPhone 5C, the new Mi Pad 2 has an all-metal construction that's much more similar to the iPad mini. Xiaomi says the Mi Pad 2 is lighter and thinner than the first-generation Mi Pad, and comes with 2GB of RAM, 16GB or 64GB of internal storage, and a 7.9-inch, 2048 x 1536 resolution screen. The company has also swapped out the Mi Pad's original Nvidia Tegra K1 chip for Intel's 64-bit Atom X5-Z8500 processor, and given the tablet a reversible USB Type-C port. (The image at the top of this page shows a render of the Mi Pad 2 running Windows 10, but Xiaomi says the final appearance of the interface may differ at launch.)

As ever with Xiaomi, the price is one of the most interesting specs. The 16GB Mi Pad 2 will be available in China from November 27th for RMB 999 or roughly $156, while the 64GB version will sell for RMB 1299 or around $200. The Windows 10 version of the device will only be available with 64GB of storage and will go on sale in late December for RMB 1299. Rumors
earlier in the year had suggested that Xiaomi's new tablet would dual-boot Windows 10 and Android, but this is not the case — users will have to choose between Google and Microsoft's operating systems.

Meanwhile, the standout feature on Xiaomi's new Redmi Note 3 smartphone is a fingerprint sensor, located on the rear of the device in a ringed circle — similar to
the design of the Nexus 5X and 6P. The Note 3 has the same processor as its predecessor (a 64-bit MTK Helio X10), and comes with a 5.5-inch full HD display, and 13-megapixel and 5-megapixel cameras on the rear and front respectively. The Note 3 with 2GB of RAM and 16GB of internal storage will sell for RMB 899 ($140), while a version of the phone with 3GB of RAM and 32GB of storage will go for RMB 1099 ($171).

It's extremely unlikely that any of these products will make their way to America though. Although Xiaomi has been slowly expanding internationally (in 2014 it launched in neighboring countries, and in July this year it made its first leap out of Asia to
start selling in Brazil), the company has previously said it won't start selling in the US or Europe for "a few years." It's a shame, as we'd like to see how Xiaomi's Windows 10 device compares with those from other manufacturers.

http://www.theverge.com/2015/11/24/9790250/xiaomi-mi-pad-2-windows-10

Z0wdL9xIx-Y5wOjAuKmQxpobz_-JLIdHgjtWLU8zFJg.0.png

Pretty impress with Mi, my first Ah Tiong phone. Now, don't know how much of my personal stuff are being used by them for their other purpose ;-)

Sideswipe

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Where got Redmi Note 3? Mine already obsolete ..so fast?

post 283.
Meanwhile, the standout feature on Xiaomi's new Redmi Note 3 smartphone is a fingerprint sensor, located on the rear of the device in a ringed circle.......... maybe release date next year ?

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
post 283.
Meanwhile, the standout feature on Xiaomi's new Redmi Note 3 smartphone is a fingerprint sensor, located on the rear of the device in a ringed circle.......... maybe release date next year ?

Fingerprint sensor at the rear?
Want to copy apple but still want chut pattern.

winnipegjets

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
post 283.

My Redmi Note 2 Prime will probable still can tahan for 1 or two years before obsolescence sets in. I am happy, must not chase the Lees.

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
I very happy with my Redmi Note 2 Prime. Cheap and good. Samsung is in big trouble. No wonder Xiaomi is so popular in China.

Xiaomi Note is my 3rd Xiaomi. Started with Redmi Note then the Mi 4i and quickly the Mi Note. Separately I got another Mi 4i and a Mi Pad for the Filipino maid while my Mi 4i is use by the Thai maid all very happy with them.

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Xiaomi launches Mi Air Purifier 2, only in China for now

mi-air-purifier_647_112415013809.jpg

Xiaomi, on Tuesday, renewed its commitment towards creating products that aren't typically categorised as consumer technology. Besides launching the new Redmi Note 3 smartphone and the Mi Pad 2 tablet, the Chinese start-up announced its second generation Air Purifier - the Mi Air Purifier 2 at an event in Beijing, China.

The company has made the Mi Purifier 2 dramatically smaller than the previous model. While doing so, it hasn't sacrificed the effectiveness of the product. Xiaomi specifies that it has a large CADR of 388 m3/h which is larger than the average of 330 m3/h.

Xiaomi touts a unique single motor, dual fan system, which is almost as effective as the previous model that had a dual-motor and four fan system with a CADR of 406 m3/h. In fact, the company claims, that the design of the fan has been inspired by aircraft engines.

Overall, it can remove "99.7 per cent of PM2.5 in 1 hour" using its unique single motor dual fan system and a triple filter setup. Xiaomi implements a pre-filter, HEPA filter and activated carbon filter.

It has also made the product 11 per cent quieter and 58 per cent more power efficient. Xiaomi claims at worse it sounds like a gentle breeze and doesn't disturb the user.

The Mi Purifier 2 starts at 699RMB (Rs.7,262) and the filters alone cost 149RMB (Rs.1,550). No launch plans for India have been announced for the product.

Back in 2014, Hugo Barra, the company's VP for global operations claimed that there was demand for the Purifier in India, but till date the product hasn't made its way to India.

The Purifier 2 isn't the only off beat product developed by the company. It has smart lights, sneakers and even a product similar to a segway in China.

http://indiatoday.intoday.in/techno...for-now-available-only-in-china/1/530239.html

yellowarse

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Xiaomi's latest phone is cheap, metal and has a fingerprint sensor

q:80
by Nick Summers

Just three months after launching the
Redmi Note 2, Xiaomi is back with its successor. The Redmi Note 3 is, unsurprisingly, another mid-range handset with decent specs and a staggeringly low base price: $141, or more importantly RMB 899, given that it's only headed to China at the moment. For the money you're getting a full metal body and a 5.5-inch, 1080p display. Underneath is the same MTK Helio X10 processor found on the Redmi Note 2, along with 2GB of RAM and 16GB of storage. If you're willing to pay a little extra, however (RMB 1,099, or $172) you can upgrade to 3GB of RAM and 32GB of storage instead.

The handset is a little pricier than its colorful predecessor, but in return Xiaomi is offering a few features normally reserved for flagships. There's the fingerprint sensor on the back -- a first for the company -- which unlocks the phone in 0.3 seconds and integrates with Xiaomi's new Mi Wallet service. The phone also packs an enormous 4000mAh battery, with fast-charging support that replenishes up to 50 percent in a single hour. Not to mention the new metal build, which comes in gold, silver and dark grey. I prefer the playful plastics wrapped around the Redmi Note 2, but I can't deny this new design is more luxurious.

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Xiaomi in trouble????? - http://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...ion-valuation-seen-unfeasible-as-growth-cools

[h=1]Xiaomi's $45 Billion Valuation Seen `Unfeasible' as Growth Cools[/h]Tom Culpan
November 25, 2015 — 6:00 PM WIB

Things were going so well for Xiaomi Corp. Customers were lining up, investors were swooning and the Beijing-based startup closed funding at a $45 billion valuation. That was last year.

Now the high-flying smartphone maker is stumbling. Founder Lei Jun’s latest business, one of China’s most exciting startup stories of the past few years, is likely to miss its own goal of selling 80 million smartphones this year, according to two people with knowledge of its production plans. Suppliers also cut their internal targets for Xiaomi in anticipation of the shortfall, they said.

Xiaomi’s falter shows the startup’s challenge in trying to maintain momentum after a meteoric ascent past Apple Inc. and Samsung Electronics Co. in China. Investors bought into the company’s story of youthful disruption and online sales, yet the subsequent lowering of China’s growth target and the copying of its sales strategy by rivals have neutralized Xiaomi’s first-mover advantage, putting its high price tag in doubt.

"All those expectations of growth aren’t being realized, which now makes that $45 billion valuation unfeasible," said Alberto Moel, an analyst at Sanford C Bernstein in Hong Kong. "The argument was that their business is kind of like Apple and they’re growing very fast, but they’re no longer growing so fast and they’re not as good as Apple."

Shipments Drop

Xiaomi doesn’t provide exact shipment targets to its suppliers, instead working on a real-time basis with orders fulfilled as they come in on Xiaomi’s website. Yet the companies tasked with preparing the components and capacity to meet Xiaomi’s needs have started scaling back production and diverting resources elsewhere, said the people, who have knowledge of the supply chain and asked not to be identified because the details are private.

Domestic shipments of Xiaomi smartphones, including its premium Mi 4 and more economical Redmi series, dropped 8 percent in the third quarter from a year earlier, its first-ever decline, according to researcher Canalys. IHS, another research firm, estimates that Xiaomi shipments dropped 3.9 percent, barely maintaining the lead over Huawei Technologies Co.

That’s a big change from the bold growth projections used to justify Xiaomi’s tag as one of the world’s most-valuable technology startups. In March of last year, Lei predicted selling 100 million smartphones in 2015. Through the first nine months of this year, Xiaomi shipped about 53 million smartphones.

With its optimistic forecast, Xiaomi secured $1.1 billion in December from investors including GIC Pte., All-Stars Investment Ltd. and DST. Xiaomi drew comparisons to Alibaba Group Holding Ltd., the Chinese e-commerce company that months earlier held the largest initial public offering ever.

‘Hype, Hope’

At 3.75 times last year’s $12 billion in revenue, Xiaomi’s fundraising gave it a price-to-sales ratio exceeding that of Apple, which currently trades at 2.9.

That pricing of Xiaomi does not seem to have been based on any known or accepted valuation methodology, said Peter Fuhrman, chairman and CEO of China First Capital. "Hype and hope seem to have been the two key drivers," he said.

In March, after that round of funding and after China set its lowest growth target in 15 years, Lei trimmed his earlier prediction to "80 million to 100 million" units for the year.

Its first year-on-year decline came during a quarter when Xiaomi released its Redmi Note 2, a lower-priced handset that sold for an average of 801 yuan ($125) each. On Tuesday it unveiled a metallic version of that phone with a fingerprint sensor, as well as a new tablet computer and air purifier.

‘Substantial’ Market

Growth might be reignited in the fourth quarter by China’s Nov. 11 Singles’ Day shopping promotions and the latest version of the Redmi Note. The company, which traditionally unveils an update to its marquee Mi smartphones during the third quarter, hasn’t yet announced a Mi 5 after last year’s Mi 4.

“I am not concerned about the valuation because, over time, their market is substantial,” said Hans Tung, managing partner at Xiaomi investor GGV Capital in Menlo Park, Calif. “Over the next 12 months, it’ll become increasingly obvious what Xiaomi is doing in the smart home and services space.”

Hugo Barra, a Xiaomi vice president, declined to comment on shipment targets or valuations and referred questions to Chief Financial Officer Shou Zi Chew, who didn’t reply to an e-mail seeking comment.

Xiaomi eschews the label of smartphone maker, claiming instead to be an "Internet company” furnishing a range of devices and online services. Xiaomi and its affiliates sell TVs, air filters, battery packs, action cameras, fitness trackers and even a self-balancing scooter. Its non-hardware offerings include games, payments, mobile-phone services and cloud storage.

No Loyalty

It’s those other products, such as the Mi Air Purifier 2 released this week, which Tung sees helping Xiaomi expand its sales and keeping consumers coming back to an ecosystem that connects home devices to the Internet and through mobile apps.

The ancillary businesses are still relatively small, with the company expecting the services units to account for just $1 billion of its $16 billion in projected revenue this year, Barra said in a July interview. Sales of smartphones outside China accounted for just 7 percent of its total in the third quarter, according to Strategy Analytics.

Xiaomi has struggled partly because competitors Huawei, Lenovo Group Ltd. and Gionee -- among others -- quickly copied its business model with ultra-thin devices, glossy websites and lower prices, allowing consumers to easily switch to the hippest new phone.

"Xiaomi was very popular because it was the first brand that marketed its phones as being limited edition," said Chen Si, a 25-year-old real estate worker in Beijing who bought the Mi 3 after its 2013 release, citing its cool design. "I wouldn’t say I am loyal to Xiaomi, I just think that a phone should be affordable and easy to use. If not, then I’ll just change."

A year later, she switched to the iPhone 6.

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Will test the Xiaomi Hybrid Earphones when I get it, feeling excited about it as its got pretty good review so far