• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Go bank to open savings account, end up with......

Scrooball (clone)

Alfrescian
Loyal
http://forum.omy.sg/showthread.php?t=10116

I am writing to voice out my unhappiness for the disputes between me and UOB Bank.

I stepped into the bank on 31st Jan 2009 to open a savings account. While waiting for my queue to be served, I was approached by a personal banker, Mr Jack Ngoh. He asked me for the purpose of coming to the bank and I told him that Im here to open an account, so I was served immediately after that. He said that normal saving account earns low interest, why not I put in my savings to the Maxi Cash SPecial account to earn better interest. The benefits are so attractive, such as I can earn interest of S$750 every 2 years. If I decided not to withdraw my interest, I could continue let it roll for another 2 years and so .. I was afraid to get cheated as I always hear that there are people who get tricked signing plans and the bank would use the money for other high risk investments so I asked whether will there be any risk for this account. Mr Jack Ngoh said this is a risk-free account, it is good to open such account because of good returns. He even drew a table on a blank piece of A4 paper, drafting out how much I could get back after 5 or 10 years. I see it so attractive of course I decided to take up this package. The whole conversation was about good benefits and good returns. The last part was, he said on top of the package, insurance is covered as well. (I dont know what kind of insurance but since so many gd benefits, still got insurance covered, not bad ya.. This is always what Singaporeans think. So I asked, how to proceed with that.. He asked me how much would I want to contribute? I had S$9000 with me that day, so I happily said put all lor (S$9K). He smiled and said, no.. I mean how much monthly...? Of course I do not know how much is the min and the max. He proposed either S$100+ or S$300+ monthly. I thought I could afford, so I opted for the S$300+ (S$310.17) monthly. I asked whether will there be any monthly statements and he said no. Of course I felt puzzled as saving accounts should have statements, but I didnt bother after that. End up we began signing all documents. I received the documents by post abt 1-2 weeks after signing the package. I received the Policy booklet as well, was not surprised as I was told that insurance is covered as well. So I keep the documents well in my drawer.

In Jun or July this year (2010), my original saving account dropped from S$9000 to about S$4000 (after 1 year plus deduction). I felt that I might not be able to continue contributing this amount of S$310.17 monthly. I decided to forfeit the interest and without all my money. I walked into the same branch, approached one of the staff, to my surprised, the lady told me that this Maxi Cash Special Account is a life Policy. I cannot withdraw my money. It means I want to terminate my policy and forfeit my premiums. I was so stunned by the answer, could not accept it and nearly cried. In the first place, 95% of the conversation was about the good benefits & returns, 4% signing documents and 1% saying that insurance is covered. How come I ended up walking into a bank to purchase a life insurance? The whole duration took abt 30 - 40 mins and I bought a life insurance??? At that time, I imagined my balance of S$4000 once deducted for the next one year till dried and if I am unable to continue paying the premiums, all S$9K gone?? I was so so worried. I only have a low salary of S$1400. How to survive? The lady suggested that I can write in to their main branch at Raffles Place to lodge a complain and I did that immediately. Few weeks later, I was contacted by them and was asked to go down for an interview. ANyway, I repeated my story to about 4 times to the different people who contacted me.

I finally received a letter from them on 6th Oct 2010, telling me that my request to get back my premiums has been rejected. The letter says if I am unhappy with the decision, I could go and report to FIDrec. Of course at this time I am at the losing end as they keep mentioning that I have signed this documents and that documents. We people always trust the bankers, and whatever they says, we agreed as all they said are all so true and attractive. Who will really go read all the 10-20 over pages of terms word by word.?? I sent them an email and says I will report as per their suggestion, and yet they still can reply me with :

We have noted your feedback to us on the above policy and that you will be contacting FIDReC.<br> <br> Should you require further assistance, please email us again or call our 24-hour Call Centre at 1800 388 2121 . If you are calling from overseas, please dial 65 388 2121. We will be happy to assist you.

TThey dont seem to assist us in any way, all they did was telling me to send my appeal to FIDrec. They simply dont bother and keep referring me to appeal through FIDreC. I simply believe, I am not the only Singaporean cheated by an established bank in Singapore, I believe that are someone out there who might be victims too. I would like to warn people out there, to beware of the banks' savings scheme not to get attracted by their special cash schemes anymore. You will regret!

Right now, I am so lost and helpless!

BEWARE!!

SNTCK

Alfrescian
Loyal
well, i only can say. Ownself responsible for own investment/ decision making.
if not familiar with the investment, be it saving plan, FD or unit trust. just not to buy.

also, do not just blindly listen to what insurance agent, or what bank manager saying.
must read out all the term and condition and information given before you sign any document .

that is.

KNNBXCB

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Financial consultants, ah nehs, Goh Meng Seng and cobras all belongs to the same pit. If you are stuck in a pit with them and only have 01 bullet left, better kill yourself :biggrin:

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
The details regarding the maxi cash scheme are readily available

UOB Life Maxi Series

As its name suggests, the UOB Life Maxi Series maximises not only your savings, but lets you enjoy comprehensive life coverage as well. Comprising three plans -
UOB Life Maxi Returns and UOB Life Maxi US$; and UOB LifeMaxi Savings which are single premium and regular premium plans respectively.

UOB Life Maxi Returns
UOB Life Maxi US$

<tbody>
</tbody>

• Enjoy as high as 5.93% in higher yields, depending on policy term and age at entry
  • Flexible premium payment period, starting from a minimum of 10 years
  • Low initial minimum investment, beginning at $10,000 basic sum assured, with no limit to amount invested
  • Annual bonuses that grow - accumulation of reversionary bonuses over the years increases the value of savings throughout the term of policy
  • Guaranteed cash - flexibility to borrow against the value of policy should the need arise, subject to the policy being in force for three years
  • Enjoy a Maturity Bonus guaranteed at 120% of your initial sum assured and also aTerminal Bonus, projected as high as 350% of the accumulated annual bonuses, all paid in one lump sum
  • Growth in life coverage increases in value with accumulated bonuses every year . Should death or total and permanent disability occur, the plan pays an amount equivalent to the initial sum assured plus all declared bonuses
  • Option of accelerated dread diseases cover pays the sum assured and all declared attaching bonuses upon diagnosis of any of the 30 specified major illnesses
  • CPF Investment Scheme
Features UOB Life Maxi Savings

<tbody>
</tbody>

<tbody>
</tbody>

songsongjurong

Alfrescian
Loyal
no diff to NKF (durai's reign) every dollar, only 10cents goes to patient, rest to durai's gold-plated tap, 1st class flight seat. GST is help the poor, something along the line...

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
no diff to NKF (durai's reign) every dollar, only 10cents goes to patient, rest to durai's gold-plated tap, 1st class flight seat. GST is help the poor, something along the line...

The bank deducts nothing. As far as I can see, the scheme is simply an endowment policy/term deposit combo with a maturity date. In order to pay out higher returns, the funds have to be pledged to the bank for a specific period.

No on-call account will pay the same rate as a term investment no matter which bank you go to.

frenchbriefs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
i thought this was a aesop's fable warning us the perils of putting our money into cpf.....when i heard the hero couldnt take back his $9k i nearly cried.....

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
i thought this was a aesop's fable warning us the perils of putting our money into cpf.....when i heard the hero couldnt take back his $9k i nearly cried.....

CPF is an excellent scheme and the majority of the funds can be withdrawn at 55. Only a small amount needs to be withheld.

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Beware of these retail bankers who are always on the prowl to pounce on the gullible with their fanciful 'investment' schemes. :wink:

They rank right up there alongside MLMs, Nigerian email scammers, blacklisted Sim Lim shops etc.

Oh but it's a proper finance job, and they are all dressed very smartly, so it must all be legit, right? :rolleyes:

Even without prior knowledge, the fanciful name 'Maxi Cash SPecial account' alone should have already set your bullshit detector ringing an alarm.

Be more discerning. Be more 'seng mok' Don't wander through life on blind faith.

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
Interest rates are so low, it makes putting money in a savings account almost a joke! I remember opening a POSB savings account way back in primary school - the annual interest rate was 4%! If you have more money, FD accounts paid 7% or more! Nowadays, it more like zero point something percent! Better to borrow money at these rates!

Cheers!

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
Wow!!

Then again... when it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.

I can vouch for the CPF scheme because I've actually used all the facilities that the scheme offers.... housing, investment, savings, medisave and withdrawal.

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Interest rates are so low, it makes putting money in a savings account almost a joke! I remember opening a POSB savings account way back in primary school - the annual interest rate was 4%! If you have more money, FD accounts paid 7% or more! Nowadays, it more like zero point something percent! Better to borrow money at these rates!

Indonesian banks still offer fantastic interest rates for your savings. Of course, there may be currency fluctuations when you convert from SGD to rupiah and vice versa. Also, if you're one of the 60.1% who believes Singapore is the best in everything, you may be turned off thinking Indon banks are dangerous. :rolleyes:

Singapore's low interest rates are not an accident. They were deliberately kept low, after Lee Hsien Loong became PM and sought to liberalize the finance industry. Shortly after, DBS bought POSB, Citibank arrived etc. You have to keep interest rates low to facilitate rampant borrowing from consumers (credit cards) and companies (construction).

This also indirectly causes price inflation which you are witnessing now. Further explanation can be found here.

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
It never occurred to me to have a Rupiah account. I only change the amount I need for my trips there which usually last two to three days. Many years ago, I had a Maybank account for transactions with Malaysian businesses, but that was only for a short period of time. I do not handle large amounts of foreign currency so the fluctuations do not concern me. On this, I have mixed feeling about the Rupiah, Indonesian business seem to be progressive, their political situation seems to have settle for a stable future, but nobody (even their locals) has much confidence in the rupiah. Even their business people quickly change rupiah for SGD or USD whenever they get a chance. Honestly, the only thing I know about banking is how to withdraw cash from the ATM machine.

Cheers!

Indonesian banks still offer fantastic interest rates for your savings. Of course, there may be currency fluctuations .........................

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Nobody walks into a bank branch with the intention of buying an insurance policy with $9K in hand. These product collaterals are done to make it easy for their sales reps to misrepresent and miss-sell the product.