• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

More HORRIBLE Auckland weather

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
printLogo.png

Hail storm hits Auckland

2:58 PM Monday Aug 4, 2014
HailAndFlooding2_620x310.jpg

Marua Road in Ellerslie was covered in hail, with surface flooding quickly building up. Photo / Richard Kerry

Send your weather related stories, photos or video here.

A hailstorm has painted parts of Auckland white.

A massive hailstorm hit Ellerslie just before 2pm, which blanketed the ground in hail and caused an office block off Marua Road to flood.
<nzh-inline-video id="144614" position="center" media-id="16143606">
WeatherWatch forecasters said slow moving isolated showers were developing over the Auckland region, including the city itself.
</nzh-inline-video>

Some of these downpours were heavy, which caused thunderstorms and hail, WeatherWatch said.
<nzh-inline-video id="144614" position="center" media-id="16143970"></nzh-inline-video>
Many other parts of the region will remain calm and dry this afternoon with large cloud build ups, it said.

Drivers and the general public were advised to be aware of the conditions over the next few hours.

A cold snap is also expected later this week, with rain, wind and snow set to hit most of the country.

MetService spokesman John Law said the east of the North Island was set for a wet week.

A severe weather warning had been issued for heavy rainfall for Gisborne and Hawkes Bay north of Napier.

Waikato and the Central Plateau as well as the South Island could expect frosty nights from this evening, he said.

"Once again, the temperatures are likely to see-saw across the country.

"After a frosty Monday night temperatures will recover slightly on Tuesday with a brief return to milder northwesterlies."

A cold outbreak would arrive at the end of the week, and would send temperatures plummeting again with more snow in the south, Mr Law said.

Gusty northwesterly winds were also expected to hit Southland, Otago and Canterbury, with a potential of reaching gale-force.
- APNZ

Copyright ©2014, APN New Zealand Limited

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
I was working with a physician and nurse (not related) who were each planning to move to New Zealand to "escape" the "horrible" weather and natural disasters in Calgary.

They were planning to go to Nelson. I guess it's all a matter of perspective and relativity?

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
I was working with a physician and nurse (not related) who were each planning to move to New Zealand to "escape" the "horrible" weather and natural disasters in Calgary.

They were planning to go to Nelson. I guess it's all a matter of perspective and relativity?

Nelson is the sunniest place in NZ.

Compared to what you're used to, Auckland is paradise as far as the weather is concerned. The problem lies in the variability of the conditions. You never know what is going to happen in the next hour so it's very hard to plan things.

For example, if you want to a pool side BBQ, you cannot plan a week in advance. You have to wait till the night before in order to have a reasonable guess as to what the weather will be like the following evening.

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
Once you've lived and experienced Canadian weather, everywhere else on this planet seems mild and somewhat acceptable.

Cheers!

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
Nelson is the sunniest place in NZ.

Compared to what you're used to, Auckland is paradise as far as the weather is concerned. The problem lies in the variability of the conditions. You never know what is going to happen in the next hour so it's very hard to plan things.

For example, if you want to a pool side BBQ, you cannot plan a week in advance. You have to wait till the night before in order to have a reasonable guess as to what the weather will be like the following evening.

Isn't it the same in Singapore? Same everywhere lah. Weather is always unpredictable.

Of course during the seasons eg in winter can be sure cannot have pool side BBQ in December lah....

Actually I do love Alberta's weather. The winters may be cold but it is dry cold so it's doesn't feel that cold. -35 degrees and my 6 year old son is still skiing with us!

During summer, it is hot! Lakeside BBQ quite easy to plan. Weather man is generally quite good for 7 days forecast.

I was told Nelson has landslides and can have big tidal waves? The nurse is from High River and was very upset when the flood hit Southern Alberta last year. High River was particularly badly hit. Well it is called High River for a reason. But seriously, having to move all the way to New Zealand to "escape" the weather? C'mon....!

Looking at some of these Canadians, they probably don't realize how good they have it here.

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
Once you've lived and experienced Canadian weather, everywhere else on this planet seems mild and somewhat acceptable.

Cheers!

I actually love Alberta's weather. Very acceptable to me and family. We like it cold in general. heard the "cold" in Alberta is dry which feels different from the wet winters in Vancouver and Toronto.

Singapore's weather is harsh. Burning hot and sauna humid. I always felt like I was getting heat stroke. Fried my brain for so many years! Hate it!

I guess my body takes cold better than heat! :smile:

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
I actually love Alberta's weather. Very acceptable to me and family. We like it cold in general. heard the "cold" in Alberta is dry which feels different from the wet winters in Vancouver and Toronto.

Singapore's weather is harsh. Burning hot and sauna humid. I always felt like I was getting heat stroke. Fried my brain for so many years! Hate it!

I prefer the cold too. It's the winds that get to me.

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
I prefer the cold too. It's the winds that get to me.

For cold there is always the right clothing for the conditions. Balaclavas, goggles, mitts, you name it. They even have heated boots and mitts.

I can be so active outdoors in -20 degrees that I am sweating and have to take some clothing off just to cool off. But nice easy cool off then put it back and off we go again.

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
I'd say I gotten used to Toronto's weather. Spring and fall are nicest in the year while summer nights are especially nice. Vancouver is somewhat pleasant all year round, but economy is comparatively small which makes jobs harder to find. What's the Chinook winds like in Calgary? Heard these winds can very quickly raise the winter temperature by a couple of degrees to somewhat mildly warm. Is this true?

Cheers!