• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Another 'Made-It-Good" Grasslooter!

makapaaa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
[h=2]School dropout now rubs shoulders with Ministers[/h]
dmca_protected_sml_120n.png
PostDateIcon.png
August 1st, 2014 |
PostAuthorIcon.png
Author: Editorial

Hoon-300x260.jpg
Hoon Thing Leong with his "bestseller" (ST Photo)

ST featured a story about a school dropout, Hoon Thing Leong, last week (“Coffee boy is now ‘coffee shop king’”, 28 Jul).

It talked about Mr Hoon launching his book on business failures and successes in June and apparently, the book has “become a bestseller”. It was Mr Hoon’s first book and ST reported that all 10,000 copies were snapped up within five days.

The book in Chinese, “The Boss Strikes – Effective Business Practices”, made him a best-selling author overnight, thanks to support from an informal network of mainly Chinese-educated businessmen and friends that he had founded 18 years ago. “I am surprised that so many wanted to read my book,” he said.

Mr Hoon is the boss behind the coffee shop chain, Kim San Leng. In his book, he revealed his past successes and failures.

Mr Hoon was born in Fuzhou, China, and moved to Singapore with his mother when he was five to join his father. He started working as a coffee boy in his father’s shop in Hougang when he was 12. He later dropped out of school when he was Secondary 2.

By the time he was 24, he started his first coffee shop in Bukit Timah with his younger brother. In 1990, he made news when he paid a record $3.52 million for a coffee shop in Bishan Street 13. He still owns the shop, which is worth many times more today. He is said to devote his entire life to the coffee shop business.

In 1996, he and a few other businessmen started an informal business group called, The Bosses Network. The purpose is to organise talks and forums and learn from one another.

Mr Hoon said the group currently organises talks almost every other week, where some few hundred people would attend. They would invite professionals from different fields to speak. They even partnered Shin Min Daily News in starting an annual three-day cruise event. Up to 700 members join the cruise each year, where talks and workshops are organised for them.

Four years ago, it also started hosting its regular “round table” lunch meetings with government officials and ministers. At each meeting, some 20 of its members would meet the authorities to discuss issues.

Senior Minister of State for Finance and Transport and Bishan-Toa Payoh GRC MP, Josephine Teo, who met the group at the Shangri-La Hotel in June, said, “I like the informal setting because I can also be frank with them with my answers to the problems they raise.”

Mr Hoon Thing Leong is a PAP member

Last year, TRE published a piece of news that “grassroots members” were found to be reserving seats for MP at a food court in Block 511 of Bishan for almost 2 hours and were seen “chasing away” food court patrons from the reserved tables (‘Grassroots members chase away foot court patrons to ‘chope’ seats for MP‘). The food court turns out to be part of Mr Hoon’s Kim San Leng coffee shop chain.

A TRE reader asked, “If this MP goes to a restaurant, is he going to chase away all the customers?!?? If this MP goes to shopping centre, is he going to chase all the people away from shopping centre?”

After the news was published, the vice chairman of the Bishan East Citizens Consultative Committee (CCC), Roland Ang, wrote to Stomp to explain that it was the coffee shop owner who reserved the tables and not any grassroots leaders (‘Bishan East CCC: Seats were ‘choped’ by coffeeshop owner, not us‘).

Mr Ang said the owner just wanted to be a hospitable host to the group of grassroots leaders and MP on a walkabout. Mr Ang added the owner was informed that the visit would end at his coffee shop. He explained that unbeknown to his group, the coffee shop owner went ahead to reserve the tables.

Mr Ang said, “We thank the owner for being hospitable but reservation of tables was not necessary or asked for. We apologise for any inconvenience caused to other patrons.”

Later, new information was sent to TRE, confirming that the coffee shop owner, Mr Hoon Thing Leong, is himself a PAP grassroots member (‘New revelation: Bishan coffeeshop owner is a PAP member‘).

The informant told TRE, “It’s no secret the chairman of Kim San Leng group, Hoon Thing Leong, has close relationship with PAP’s grassroots. He is an active grassroots leader (former CCC chairman or something) in Bishan. No wonder the coffee shop was so eager to please the MP lah. They are all own kakis lah.”

Checks on the Net reveal that in fact, Mr Hoon is a long-time PAP member. At the 2011 PAP Awards, he was awarded the PAP Long Service Medal (Silver). He was also identified as a grassroots member of Bishan-Toa Payoh GRC (Bishan East).

http://maintmp.pap.org.sg/uploads/ap/987/documents/pap_awards_2011_recipients_list.pdf

Citation: The PAP has remained successful and cohesive all these years because of its loyal and long-serving members who have stayed the course through thick and thin. They did not melt away in crisis. Instead, they rallied to the cause. They did not flinch from the unglamorous work of tilling the ground between elections. Instead, they made significant contributions that have allowed the PAP to win at every General Election. In awarding the Long Service Medals, the Party salutes each of them for their dedication, loyalty and hard work.
Mr Hoon’s other achievements found on the Net:

• He received his PBM in 1999 for his contributions as a grassroots member in Bishan East CCC. He was listed as the Auditor for Bishan East CCC [Link].
  • Life Honorary President of the Singapore Food Manufacturers’ Association (SFMA) [Link]
  • Vice President of the Federation of Merchants’ Association, Singapore (FMAS) [Link]

And interestingly, he appears to be close to Singapore’s President Tony Tan too. In a Zaobao article [Link], it was reported that Mr Hoon organized a “rah-rah” team of more than 20 supporters to follow and support Tony Tan during the Presidential Election in 2011, starting from nomination day till the end of the election:
属下有1000多名会员的老板联谊会的创办人洪鼎良(金山岭美食)说,他们其中20多人就组成了支持陈庆炎的团队,从提名日开始就一路支持他,因为大家认为陈庆炎有世界的眼光,可以把新加坡带到世界的平台上。

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
Sucking up to those in power is part and parcel of doing business.

I do it all the time.

If the government changes, so too will the loyalties of businessmen. That's the way the game is played around the world.

krafty

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
i also suck up to you but you never upz my points...?:(

I do it all the time.

If the government changes, so too will the loyalties of businessmen. That's the way the game is played around the world.

winnipegjets

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

I do it all the time.

When the WP takes over, all these sycophants will have to go then. Do you suggest the Hilter approach of extermination?

virus

Alfrescian
Loyal
i also suck up to you but you never upz my points...?:(

oh pleaze points step one side. i asking boss sam for his remaining petty cash deh. to help needy pple like me who in return can promise to reward his after life with 99 virgins. you got nothing in rtn to offer. shooo... go away.

wendychan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
:rub shoulders with Ministers " means GOOD person?

LOL and FOOk FOOk FOOk

i beelive theres is lots of evidence out there to disprove that headline

wendychan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
lance armstrong used to "rub shoulders with presidents and other well connected"......

ALL the time he was a liar....

Last edited:

frenchbriefs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
ok i dont understand why everyone is so harsh on him,look he is 65 years old,hes from the generation that believed in PAP when PAP still pro Singapore and had singaporeans' best interest at heart.

still setting aside his fetish for PAP and misguided loyalty aside,i did some research on him,this guy is truly impressive,hes a true rags to riches story,a son of a poor migrant from china who came in the 1960s....like li ka shing one of my heros,these people obviously are intelligent,have a strong business drive,more importantly they have a thirst for knowledge even though they may be out of the formal school setting......like me he believes in reading books to increase his knowledge and broaden his mind,he studies chinese classical literature,he has attended over 500 seminars to constantly upgrade his business knowledge and develop his skills.....how many sinkies you know does that???how many would actually pick up a difficult book on law or accounting or programming or finance or economics or investment or poker,read it study it dissect,use his intelligence if he has any and learn how to get ahead in the world during his spare time???

how many of your parents generation are like him?i have a grandmother whose close to his age....same education level as him,stopped schooling after primary,cannot read english or chinese,cannot write,never read a book in her life.....does nothing but shitty ass peanut paying jobs all her life,now is stony broke and wouldnt survive unless she has government handouts,children assistance or going out to collect cardboard.why?????sinkies work hard all their lives and then complain they are stony broke because they dont bother to use their brains????i see these in almost all middle age sinkies,they have a regular 9 to 5 job for years or drive that taxi or work that government job in NUH or SGH,a iron rice bowl and thats it im going to depend on that iron rice bowl for the rest of my life and my hdb flat?????and pop out some kids.....wtf????

now hoon thin leong owns 30 coffeeshops and built an empire of between 30 to 100 million,i would be proud if he was my grandfather or father.

wendychan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
who i rub shoulders with, i dont go and boast about it, or use it to enrich myself..... or use it to score points

anyway i rub shoulders with no fake os

wendychan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

It’s no secret the chairman of Kim San Leng group, Hoon Thing Leong, has close relationship with PAP’s grassroots.

is that why Kim San Leng coffee shop bukit timah road used to be able to have tables outside while other resturarants in the same area were told to stop their outdoor seating?

im asking a question here, based on what i observe with my own eyes

BTW, that particualr coffee shop seems to be undergoing renovation

frenchbriefs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
where does it say he boasted about rubbing shoulders with ministers or anyone?

that is the title that tmeritus gave the article....so now what tmeritus says becomes words in his mouth?

Spock

Alfrescian
Loyal
Not everyone wants that kind of lifestyle. Sometimes, there is enough for everyone but the greed of a few causes a shortage. There is a bowl of 5 apples for 5 people but one of them is greedy and grabbed 3 of them for himself. Now there is a shortage and everyone else has to fight.

escher

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
oh pleaze points step one side. i asking boss sam for his remaining petty cash deh. to help needy pple like me who in return can promise to reward his after life with 99 virgins. you got nothing in rtn to offer. shooo... go away.

Dont tell your lies to Leongsam.
Only 72 virgins and houris promised, not 99.
Which meant even less than 72 virgins and virgins and houris make total only of 72

do not follow the fucking PAP telling lies after lies after lies

You disappoint me greatly if you walk in their footsteps notwithstanding your yearning to laugh all the way to the banks like the fucking PAPs

PAP is finished.
The stinking glue and terror that hold PAP together is that old fart smear of shit on sole of shoe LKY. LKY is about to die in days or weeks.
LKY will never allow good decent people into the PAP and good decent people will not want to get into the PAP. Those in PAP are the most corrupt and moral degenerates and moral bankrupts and moral filths that are being presented to stinkaporeans as moral compasses.
None of those in PAP work for anyone but that smear of shit on sole of shoe LKY, to help him hold down Singaporeans to screw and fuck hundreds of BILLIONs from us all into smear of shit on sole of shoe LKY stinkapore sovereign funds.
They are there in PAP because LKY know that they are a bunch of self serving greedy bastards and scrapings of scums of society. To call them maggots cockroaches will be to insult real maggots and real cockroaches.

WE ALL ARE NOW WAITING FOR THE DEATH OF LKY IN COMING DAYS OR WEEKS.
WE ALL WILL YUM SENG AND YUM SENG AND YUM SENG AGAIN AND AGAIN DANCING SINGING ON TABLE TOPS AND STREETS
WE THEN WILL SEE THOSE IN PAP WITH SHARPENED KNIVES HOOTING ARSEHLOON A DOZEN NEW ARSEHOLES AND THE DEATH OF THE ENTIRE LEE KWA CLAN
WE THEN WILL PICK UP PIANO WIRES AND HANG ALL THOSE REMAINING PAP AND THEIR COLLABORATORS FROM LAMP POSTS AND SEE THOSE BASTARDS AND BITCHES DANCE.
AND HAPPINESS WILL RETURN TO OUR LAND.
AND STINKAPORE WILL BECOME SINGAPORE ONCE MORE.
https://www.torproject.org/about/overview.html.en

virus

Alfrescian
Loyal
Dont tell your lies to Leongsam.
Only 72 virgins and houris promised, not 99.
Which meant even less than 72 virgins and virgins and houris make total only of 72

do not follow the fucking PAP telling lies after lies after lies

You disappoint me greatly if you walk in their footsteps notwithstanding your yearning to laugh all the way to the banks like the fucking PAPs

PAP is finished.
The stinking glue and terror that hold PAP together is that old fart smear of shit on sole of shoe LKY. LKY is about to die in days or weeks.
LKY will never allow good decent people into the PAP and good decent people will not want to get into the PAP. Those in PAP are the most corrupt and moral degenerates and moral bankrupts and moral filths that are being presented to stinkaporeans as moral compasses.
None of those in PAP work for anyone but that smear of shit on sole of shoe LKY, to help him hold down Singaporeans to screw and fuck hundreds of BILLIONs from us all into smear of shit on sole of shoe LKY stinkapore sovereign funds.
They are there in PAP because LKY know that they are a bunch of self serving greedy bastards and scrapings of scums of society. To call them maggots cockroaches will be to insult real maggots and real cockroaches.

WE ALL ARE NOW WAITING FOR THE DEATH OF LKY IN COMING DAYS OR WEEKS.
WE ALL WILL YUM SENG AND YUM SENG AND YUM SENG AGAIN AND AGAIN DANCING SINGING ON TABLE TOPS AND STREETS
WE THEN WILL SEE THOSE IN PAP WITH SHARPENED KNIVES HOOTING ARSEHLOON A DOZEN NEW ARSEHOLES AND THE DEATH OF THE ENTIRE LEE KWA CLAN
WE THEN WILL PICK UP PIANO WIRES AND HANG ALL THOSE REMAINING PAP AND THEIR COLLABORATORS FROM LAMP POSTS AND SEE THOSE BASTARDS AND BITCHES DANCE.
AND HAPPINESS WILL RETURN TO OUR LAND.
AND STINKAPORE WILL BECOME SINGAPORE ONCE MORE.
https://www.torproject.org/about/overview.html.en

please lah. 72 is a lousy number. tat's why qaeda hardly got takers for their offer. you need to sweeten the deal for afterlife. anything eternal, like 99 久久 like give him impulse to think through his penis than his head.

escher

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
please lah. 72 is a lousy number. tat's why qaeda hardly got takers for their offer. you need to sweeten the deal for afterlife. anything eternal, like 99 久久 like give him impulse to think through his penis than his head.

Ahhhh!

Poetic license used in advertising and packaging promises to part a fool from his money!

That I understand.

As long as not outright lies like PAPs it is ok.

You have back my profound respect.

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
This chap however smart or driven in business that he is......rode on his connections with vile pappies.
He is just as vile.

greedy and cunning

Alfrescian
Loyal

I do it all the time.

KNN !!!! :(:(:(

now then you telling the tooth , the whole tooth and nothing but the tooth.

so you admitting that success has nothing to do with work hard and work smart.
or at least work hard and work smart only play an insignificant role in success.

or you forgot to take medicine today ?