• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

DBS the "people's bank" accounts for 97% of ATMs without $10 notes?

Confuseous

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I refer to the article “Customers annoyed over more ATMs dispensing only $50 notes” (Straits Times, Jul 30).

Cannot tell you how many “No $10″ ATMs?

It states that “But Singapore’s biggest bank, DBS Bank, which also operates POSB and its ATMs, declined to give the number or proportion of its ATMs issuing only larger bills.”

I was rather intriqued by the above “decline to give the number”. So, I looked for clues in the article.

2 of the banks have 12 “No $10″ ATMs?

Since “Checks with the three local banks indicate that OCBC is the only bank which still issues $10 bills at all its roughly 600 ATMs.

Fewer than 2 per cent of United Overseas Bank’s (UOB) more than 600 ATMs do not issue $10 notes.

- Does it mean that only about 12 ATMs (2% of UOB’s 600) out of OCBC and UOB’s total of about 1,200 ATMs – do not issue $10 notes?

97% of “No $10″ ATMs belong to 1 bank?

As to “Deputy Prime Minister Tharman Shanmugaratnam, also Finance Minister and minister in charge of the Monetary Authority of Singapore (MAS), replied that 85 per cent of the roughly 2,700 ATMs here dispense $10 notes”

- Does it mean that about 405 ATMs (15% of 2,700) do not issue $10 notes?

Deducting UOB’s about 12 ATMs – Does it mean that about 393 (405 minus 12) ATMs belong to DBS?

If so, then does it mean that about 97% (393 divide by 405) of all the ATMs that do not issue $10 notes, belong to DBS?

The “People’s Bank”?

I find it sad that what was affectionately known as “the people’s bank”, our national savings bank – which as market watchers said at the time – was transferred to Temasek/DBS at a very low price without any substantive debate in Parliament – continues arguably, with scant regard and consideration to the fact that there are many poor and low-income people in Singapore.

For example, there are more than 200,000 who earn less than $1,000 a month, and about 400,000 who earn less than $1,200.

Why always cannot tell you?

Finally, with regard to “A spokesman for DBS, which has more than 1,100 ATMs, said some ATMs configured to dispense only $50 notes have been changed to dispense $10 and $50 notes. “For ATMs that dispense only $50 notes, we noticed that while the number of withdrawals has decreased, the overall cash withdrawn has remained at a consistent level,” she said. “This indicates that customers may be making fewer trips to withdraw the amount they require.”

- Can we be told how many ATMs exactly have been changed to dispense $10 notes too? And by the way, the decrease in the number of withdrawals may simple mean that people have gone to ATM’s that issue $10 notes.

Leong Sze Hian

http://leongszehian.com/?p=9525

leetahbar

Alfrescian
Loyal
dbs is the biggest LEECH of the people after they taken over and destroyed the real people's bank POSB. everything that POSB once gave free like cheque serivces, cheque book and etc, dbs - the dirty bastards of singapore now charges like nobody's business. by the right, the gov should censor them. but as we know dbs is also gov's personal piggy bank, so everything is ok for those DB to rob the ppl in broad daylight.

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Sinkies damn fucked up. Always complain about shit stuff like this.

It is not shit stuff...ok, we may sometime, have lack of planning or account have too low a balance to withdraw $50 at one go...you need small change to buy small things....say around $20?, the machine dispenses only $50...the choices you have (1) Join the every long queue at POSB/DBS to withdraw $20?, (2) Some banks charges you $5 to make use of counter services, to withdraw $20..

It is ok, if you have a "healthy" bank account, $50 is small change these days...but you are buying something for $4.50...you give $50 note....the faces, will have 'jump to joy look'...no?

At least they could have, every 3 machines...1 only give out $50...to be fair, some POSB branches have that...but many these days, including all the banks, do not dispense $10 notes....so, it is like playing "gotcha"....you go to one, wanting $10's....you slot in your card...key in $20 or $30...GOTCHA!..."this machine does not dispense $10's".....:p

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
See lah! Increase the population by so much, even the money printing machines cannot keep up with the increased demand. :biggrin:

Who did you vote for? :rolleyes:

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
DBS is just following vile pappies exanples....
Only want to cater to and serve the rich people in Sg....
Losers who can't even withdraw lousy minimum of 50 bucks have no right to use the ATMs.
Who did the poor losers vote for?

Logisex

Alfrescian
Loyal
Don't forget the number of branches they have closed down since that ah neh took over. He has absolutely no regards for the poor and the masses. People say he is 'visionary' but I think he has vision only for the profit margins and his multi million dollar bonus.

Leepotism

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
So the poor and desperate who wanted to draw out their last $20 dollars from the ATM also cannot.

McDonaldsKid

Alfrescian
Loyal
I always wondered if it was because the interest they pay would be less because people die die have to withdraw $50, i.e, save interest on $30. Remember when we could withdraw just $10? Then they increased to $20.

wendychan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
I always wondered if it was because the interest they pay would be less because people die die have to withdraw $50, i.e, save interest on $30. Remember when we could withdraw just $10? Then they increased to $20.

on machines where you can withdraw less than $50, the minimum is $20, yet machine spits out 2x$10 notes
so what is the FOOking problem in letting people withdraw $10?

Confuseous

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
on machines where you can withdraw less than $50, the minimum is $20, yet machine spits out 2x$10 notes
so what is the FOOking problem in letting people withdraw $10?

My guess is that they may then have to service/top up these machines more frequently and therefore incur higher expenses.