• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Excuse me, do you eat Margarine?

Force 136

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
At last, the truth: Butter is GOOD for you - and margarine is chemical gunk
We have been conned into believing margarine was better for us than butter

The scientific evidence is totally at odds with decades of official advice

The profit-grabbing manufacturers have never been prepared to admit

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/a...D--margarine-chemical-gunk.html#ixzz38lGIOuOY

Like my grandmother before me, I have never had a tub of margarine in the house. Perhaps thanks to her, my gut instinct has always told me that butter is better for you.

Not only does butter taste incomparably better, it's a natural product that human beings have been eating and cooking with for centuries without *damaging their health.

Why swap it for margarine, a highly synthetic and unpleasant-tasting concoction laced with additives and cheap, low-grade oils refined on an industrial scale?

Especially, if I tell you that without colourings margarine isn't yellow at all, but actually an appetite-crushing shade of sludgy grey.

If my preference for butter began with instinct, in the past few years it's been supported by a growing body of scientific research that not only indicates that there is absolutely no reason to stop eating *butter, but also leads to one inescapable conclusion: that decades of government health advice, particularly in regard to heart disease, cholesterol levels and the consumption of fats and oils, have been plain wrong.

It's so wrong, in fact, that I believe the health establishment now owes us an apology.

We have been conned into believing that margarine was better for us than butter. The nation's morning toast has been ruined for decades by kind-hearted women thinking they were doing the best for their *husbands and children by switching from butter to marge.

Confronted with such a bleak, butter-free future, there will be many who will have wondered whether life was even worth living.
That is why the latest news from scientists working in the U.S. will have been greeted with loud cheers at breakfast tables all over Britain — and, at mine, by a vehement 'I told you so!'

For, having reanalysed a study originally carried out in the late Sixties and early Seventies, the scientists have confirmed what many of us have believed to be the truth for years.

Margarine isn't better for you than butter. In fact, margarine is *actually more damaging to your health than butter.
The scientific evidence is compelling and totally at odds with decades of official advice that we should all be cutting down on our consumption of animal fats.

Taking a sample of middle-aged Australian men who had either experienced a heart attack or *suffered from angina, half were advised to cut their animal fat intake and replace it with safflower oil (which is similar to sunflower oil) and safflower oil margarine, while the other half continued to eat as normal.

If the unholy alliance of Government nutritionists and the food processing industry were right — and margarine really was better for you, as they've been claiming for decades — you'd expect the men who switched to safflower oil to live longer and have better health outcomes.

The exact opposite turned out to be true. Those who ate more of the safflower-derived products were almost twice as likely to die from all causes, including heart disease.

Suddenly, margarine isn't looking the healthy option that those expensive marketing campaigns claim it to be.
For a start, the once widely accepted wisdom that saturated fats are bad for you — an idea on which so much health advice is founded — is looking increasingly shaky.

So fast is the shift in scientific thinking that there is a growing belief that natural saturated fats — like those contained in dairy and meat, as opposed to those *contained in marge — may actually turn out to be good for you.

Certainly, these fats have already been identified as key components of cell membranes, essential for the production of *certain *hormones and having an important role to play in the transport and absorption of certain vitamins and minerals.
Indeed, earlier this week, a meta-study (a study of studies, if you like) from America, covering almost 350,000 people, came to the sort of shock conclusion that a few years earlier would have made front-page news.

Now, however, it merely confirmed what a growing body of scientific opinion already believes — that there is, and never was, any good evidence linking intake of dietary saturated fats with blocked coronary arteries and heart disease.

It was, of course, in the belief that the exact opposite was true that millions of us were persuaded to give up butter and switch to margarine. Now, perhaps, you see why our public health advisers should be in the dock explaining themselves.
For so much of what we were told was gospel truth turns out to be plain wrong. Butter isn't bad for you; in fact, it's healthy, being high in vitamins, beneficial saturated fats, the sort of cholesterol that is vital for brain and nervous system development and various natural compounds with anti-fungal, anti-oxidant and even anti-cancer properties.
Margarine, by contrast, has always been much worse for you than its profit-grabbing manufacturers have ever been prepared to admit.

In the early days, it was made with 'hydrogenated fats', which were so dense that solid concrete couldn't have done a better job of blocking your coronary arteries. Honestly, this stuff was lethal.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/a...D--margarine-chemical-gunk.html#ixzz38lI054vh
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Luvurbaht

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I have been avoiding margarine for many many years now and butter more recently. I agree that these 2 items are not very good for the body especially as you age and the body takes longer to clear the bad stuff.

enterprise2

Alfrescian
Loyal
I have been avoiding margarine for many many years now and butter more recently. I agree that these 2 items are not very good for the body especially as you age and the body takes longer to clear the bad stuff.

Do your toast with olive oil and discover a whole new experience!

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Some people may not know that margarine is a trans fat which is damaging to ones health. Some companies are claiming their margarine is healthy but it is hard to determine if this is true. Best to just avoid all forms of margarine.

Luvurbaht

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Do your toast with olive oil and discover a whole new experience!

I just did that a few weeks ago at a friend's dinner , olive oil and balsamic. They served that before the main stuff and yes it very nice and supposed to be healthy stuff.

sirus

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Butter vs Margarine – Why I Trust Cows More Than Chemists
By Kris Gunnars | 34,514 views
Woman Eating Buttered ToastThere is a massive amount of nutrition misinformation on the internet.

Even the professionals themselves often say things that challenge common sense and don’t seem to have a scientific basis.

For example, when they tell people to replace butter with factory-made margarine…

The Difference Between Butter and Margarine
Butter and margarine serve the same purpose. They are used for cooking, baking and as spreads.

Butter has been a dietary staple for centuries.

It is made by churning the fatty portion of cow’s milk until it turns into the final product… butter. That’s it.

Margarine is totally different. It is a highly processed food that was invented to replace butter. The primary ingredient is vegetable oil along with emulsifiers, colorants and various artificial ingredients.

Vegetable oil is liquid at room temperature. This is why margarine is often hydrogenated, which gives it a harder consistency and extends shelf life. Hydrogenation also turns some of the vegetable oils into trans fats.

Butter is Loaded With Saturated Fat and Cholesterol
Cow
Butter has been demonized by the media and nutrition professionals because it contains large amounts of both saturated fat and cholesterol.

But new studies show that this actually doesn’t matter… despite decades of anti-fat propaganda.

A large review study published in 2010 looked at 21 studies that included a total of 347.747 participants (1).

They found absolutely no association between saturated fat and cardiovascular disease. Other studies lead to the same conclusion (2, 3).

Eating saturated fat actually improves the blood lipid profile. It raises HDL (the “good”) cholesterol and changes the LDL from small, dense LDL (very bad) to Large LDL, which is benign (4, 5, 6, 7, 8).

Eating cholesterol rich foods like eggs leads to the same improvements in blood lipid profiles. The LDL pattern improves and HDL goes up (9, 10).

Unless you have a medical condition like familial hypercholesterolemia, then there is NO reason to fear saturated fats or dietary cholesterol.
Bottom Line: Neither saturated fat nor dietary cholesterol harm the blood lipid profile. They raise the good (HDL) cholesterol and change the LDL cholesterol to a benign subtype that is not associated with heart disease.

Margarine Contains Vegetable Oils and Trans Fats
Toast With Margarine
The main ingredients in most margarines are vegetable oils like soybean or safflower oil.

Vegetable oils are mostly unsaturated, which is a problem because unsaturated oils are liquid at room temperature and cannot be used as spreads.

To remedy this problem, the vegetable oils are subjected to a hydrogenation process. This involves exposing the oils to high heat, high pressure, hydrogen gas and a metal catalyst. Disgusting, yes.

http://authoritynutrition.com/butter-vs-margarine/

Luvurbaht

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I dunno the ang moh name, but it indeed taste good. Thanks for the info.

In fact, adding it to salad instead of other source taste very good too.

Ah yes....we had that too. This was supposed to be a healthy type dinner. Had the toast and salad with the olive oil and vinegar. Also had the bruschetta with the same.

Then it was some kind of pumpkin soup and the main course some panfried fish which was lightly fried in olive oil. No dessert after that , just some cut fruit.

It was a good change from the regular type dinner.

Timerty

Alfrescian
Loyal
avoid the lanjiao butter and margarine, use avocado.

olive oil can contribute to heart disease, avoid it too.

http://connecticare.com/GlobalFiles/HealthNews/article.asp?ID=091e9c5e8000735f&Cat=0&Num=6

"The olive oil meal caused vessels to constrict by 34%, whereas the canola oil and salmon meals caused insignificant changes in blood vessels, Vogel reports. Because such constrictions injure the blood vessels' endothelium, they contribute to heart disease."