• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

COEs for Singaporeans first

makapaaa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
[h=2]COEs for Singaporeans first[/h]
dmca_protected_sml_120n.png
PostDateIcon.png
July 26th, 2014 |
PostAuthorIcon.png
Author: Contributions

It is frustrating that COEs are not coming down, while the congestion everywhere is getting worse. [Link]
EVER-GROWING CONGESTION

The transport infrastructure is really getting from bad to worse. There are more buses and trains but the number of passengers seem to be on the rise too. The observation is that there are more foreign workers and students.

Specific to Bus Service 171, there is a group of foreign construction workers who would board near Beauty World Shopping Centre around 7pm. It looks like their employer decided to let them take the public transport instead, adding to the congestion.

For those who take trains at Jurong East MRT, we wonder when they would run out of space to queue up while waiting for the next train.

Traveling by public transport is such a horrible experience that some would still pay for a car, even when the COE hovers around 60,000 dollars.

COE – UPFRONT TRANSPORT TAX

COE is nothing but a transport tax. It is meant to curb car ownership, put a price on congestion, and reduce congestion. But thanks to the great lack of foresight by the government, targeting for 7 million people, and keeping the road infrastructure fixed at 12 percent of land area, we now enjoy the unique situation of high COE and traffic jams everywhere. You can take a bus, train, or drive, but you can be assured of frustrations by the ever growing congestion. The elites who work on flexible hours face no such issues. They can report at 10 am, and leave at 4 pm.

The COE system has failed to curb congestion, but the government is addicted to the revenue collection each year, easily a few billion dollars. It is now even talking about a new ERP system, GPS distance based collection. So even if one is traveling off peak, not adding on to the congestion, you still have to pay the transport tax. Never mind that you have already paid GST for the fuel which is technically already a distance-based tax.

COE FOR SINGAPOREANS

We recognise that there is probably nothing we can say to convince the government to scrap COE. However, can the government at least live up to their promise of Singaporeans First?

It has shown to be willing to give priority to Singaporeans on housing (only SC can apply for BTO), education (SC priority for P1 enrollment), healthcare (SC has a lower rate at public hospitals), but to date, why is the Government still reluctant to give SC priority when it comes to COE balloting?

I appeal to the government to set aside 80 percent of the COE for Singaporeans only.

Kampong Boy

* Submitted by TRE reader.

makapaaa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
<cite class="fn">Anthony:</cite>
July 26, 2014 at 4:13 pm Anthony(Quote)
This Goverment is not bothered or concerned for Singaporeans.They only care for themselves,their immediate family members who are well placed in high positions and of cost foreigners.As far as they are concerned they will want to squeeze every drop of your blood till you run dry.The only way we Singaporeans can have a caring Goverment is to install a new Goverment who will restore our Singaporean first policy rights.Come on my dear fellow Singaporeans,wake up before it is too late to retake our basic rights back from this e**l LeeRegime.Come 2016 we must vote for change.Vote opposition.

VA:F [1.9.22_1171]

Rating: +36 (from 36 votes)

garlic

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Kampong Boy is a moron... Set aside 80% for Sinkies, what does that solve? Cutting the limited supply to be even smaller? Obviously he is not trying to solve traffic jams, his post is just a veiled rant to mask his inability to afford a car. The prices, taxes, Erps are known, nothing is new. He can complain about govt lack of foresigh etc etc... He should go make sure he earns enough to afford a car.

If he had proposed families with disabled elderly parents or >3 kids etc to get rebates or preference in getting a car, then he would be making sense. This is just a rant coming from a CMI guy who cant afford a car and just had a bad day squeezing in public transport.

I wont be surprised he is a local mid-20s grad who believes he is a godsent and is a huge talent to the world and superior than everybody at whatever sector he is in, only to realise that after 2-3 years of work, reality paints a completely different picture.

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
Agree with Garlic.

The political discourse in Singapore isn't about policy. It has degenerated into a sinkie brand of politics of envy.

Nobody is actually unhappy with how the government runs the country. What riles them is the fact that others are doing better than they are. It affects all levels with the exception, of course, of those at the top of the pile.

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Hosay liao. If CEO for citizens only this will surely make sinkies rich, another money making opportunity for sinkies who can be proxy to foreigners and make a few thousand bucks at least for each successful bidding. Surely it's a pro Singapore policy.

The_Hypocrite

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
For the gahmen to earn even more $$$,,,,,it should bring back the luxury car category for the elite super bestest cars etc,,,,this category is the only category open to foreigners and PRs,,,all other categories is for singkies only,,,gahmen will sure earn more,,,,,wonder why they dont implement ah"?

Satyr

Alfrescian
Loyal
The political discourse in Singapore isn't about policy. It has degenerated into a sinkie brand of politics of envy.

Nobody is actually unhappy with how the government runs the country. What riles them is the fact that others are doing better than they are. It affects all levels with the exception, of course, of those at the top of the pile.

I am afraid you are a little out of date. Sinkies have always been complainers, that is true. In the past , you are right, they were basically not unhappy with things or they felt the little irritations were not worth throwing the baby out with the bath water. Things have changed. This government has shown itself to be indifferent to the needs of Singaporeans.

The PAP of old could dish out hard truths because people accepted they had the good of Singaporeans at heart. This government has a problem convincing Singaporeans of the same.

I have a car but frankly I am pissed at the congestion and delays on the road on a daily basis. At the effing General Hospital you cannot find parking and have to resort to valet parking. And even that is not easy, mind you. If you drove to the hospital with a heart attack you could die in the carpark. It seems to me the government is not delivering after extracting exorbitant charges from the people.

xebay11

Alfrescian
Loyal
For the gahmen to earn even more $$$,,,,,it should bring back the luxury car category for the elite super bestest cars etc,,,,this category is the only category open to foreigners and PRs,,,all other categories is for singkies only,,,gahmen will sure earn more,,,,,wonder why they dont implement ah"?

1800 CallLTA

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

We will see in the next GE if Sporeans are really happy with the PAP.

I have a lower tolerance level for what I see as legislated corruption. The 60% may not care about morality but they do care about their own jobs, money, CPF,...:biggrin:

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
Singapore is a crowded place and I can understand crowded traffic lanes and congested malls, however this lack or rather shortage of parking at SGH is disturbing. This is an important location and priority needs to be focused on its efficiency in serving the public's needs. I have visited SGH and on most of those occassions, I do have difficulty finding a parking space for my car. Surely the authorities can do something to alleviate this situation; it sure is frustrating not being able to quickly park one's vehicle to attend to something more desperate at a medical facility.

Cheers!

........ At the effing General Hospital you cannot find parking and ..........

hockbeng

Alfrescian
Loyal
COEs SHOULD BE CHARED AS A MULTIPLE OF THE COST OF THE CAR INSTEAD OF A FIXED VALUE.

THIS WOULD MAKE PPL THINK TWICE ABOUT BUYING A BIG CAR; AND ALSO PROMOTES LESS CONSUMPTION OF FUEL AND SPACE.

SO A COE OF LETS SAY 2.5 WOULD MEAN A PERSON WHO BUYS A SMALL HONDA JAZZ VS A FERRARI WOULD PAY A VERY DIFFERENT COE AMT

hockbeng

Alfrescian
Loyal
Singapore is a crowded place and I can understand crowded traffic lanes and congested malls, however this lack or rather shortage of parking at SGH is disturbing. This is an important location and priority needs to be focused on its efficiency in serving the public's needs. I have visited SGH and on most of those occassions, I do have difficulty finding a parking space for my car. Surely the authorities can do something to alleviate this situation; it sure is frustrating not being able to quickly park one's vehicle to attend to something more desperate at a medical facility.

Cheers!

I hate this term " authorities do something" .

I see / hear this phrase every week !!!

babuSingh

Alfrescian
Loyal
The author is a fucking frog in a well. He should travel up north south highway during weekend to see how bad the road congestion is.

Hans168

Alfrescian
Loyal
Friggin malusial FTs want to earn super sg $ salaries but drive dirt cheap malusial cars on our congested roads n still want to KPKB!!
Simply taking advantage of us!!

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
I know. I wish to say, "People, do something." But here in Peesai, everything has to be done, approved, acknowledged, or allowed by the "authorities," People are unable to do anything without the permission of the "authorities." It is a nanny-state, the people listen and obey.

Cheers!

I hate this term " authorities do something" .

I see / hear this phrase every week !!!

ykhuser

Alfrescian
Loyal
this lack or rather shortage of parking at SGH is disturbing. This is an important location and priority needs to be focused on its efficiency in serving the public's needs. I have visited SGH and on most of those occassions, I do have difficulty finding a parking space for my car. Surely the authorities can do something to alleviate this situation; it sure is frustrating not being able to quickly park one's vehicle to attend to something more desperate at a medical facility.

Cheers!

the sgh open carparks are designed in the early 70s. At that time, cars are not too many and overcrowding.
today,they failed to expect there is a sharp outburst of owning cars and more sickly Singaporeans
now it is too late to build a giant multi storey cp at sgh because doing so will have to temporary close down the current open carpark for at least 2 years.

sochi2014

Alfrescian
Loyal
The main purpose of coe is to max out the garmen coffers so that ministars could justify their million dollars paycheck.

Do you think it will happen? No unless you change the garmen!

The_Hypocrite

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Knowing singkies...all pinky have to do is say sorry n dish out a few goodies n all pap shit will b forgotten. The chance to make a difference was 2011...However singkies blew it...now wait for 2016 is too little to late..n with the infighting amongst the oppos. With the likes of Got More Shit etc. It does not really inspire confidence.

In addition, Vincent Vijaysingha has pissed off alot of people with his faggot agenda..no doubt the pappies will use him as an example pf quality oppo candidates. And with singkies kia su kia see kiam siup kia bor die dont want face attitude they sure will vote pap wan...
We will see in the next GE if Sporeans are really happy with the PAP.

I have a lower tolerance level for what I see as legislated corruption. The 60% may not care about morality but they do care about their own jobs, money, CPF,...:biggrin: