• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

NS Deferred Schooling Last

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hmmm, good or bad, doesn't really bother or concern me. If one is good, one is good, hopefully there is an opportunity for progress in life for that person in that field, else, just enjoy participating at it is good enough, not everybody is cut out for professional sports. In the competitive arena, there are people all over the world with the means, talent, and backing to pursue to their fullest. Sometimes I wonder how does this benefit humankind? I suppose that doesn't matter. For most, the monetary rewards are all that matters.

Cheers!

Yeah!! Got to face the hard truth!! We r crap at sports!! All sports!

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
To me, the only thing about this (or any other athlete) is their ability in that category, other things are their own personal life. I reached this conclusion afer watching a documentary on Maradonna, Argentina's soccer star. That program was shown about his life after his "downfall" caused by drug (cocaine) abuse. Once he was adored, even worshipped as the greatest soccer player on earth, and after that, looked upon with disdain and disgust. In that program, he spoke. He said "I am from a poor background, without any education. When I became a millionaire, all I knew was to party and do good for my friends, which he did." For that, I understand him. He didn't harm anyone. What else could he have done? What else was he capable of? I will only see him as a soccer player, a great one. For any other trait, it is not my business to judge him.

Cheers!

Actually it is only this guy with the issue. Or I having issue with him. Heard about his antics and that of his family. The only reason the press dare not write the truth is that his uncle once removed is the chief propaganda and media chief of the Government. SPH is dead sacred of him.

How you think he got deferment. Every time got some silly excuse. Wrong trunks, bad start, ???

We all appreciate good sportsman and sportswoman of this country but not the haughty and spoilt ones.

enterprise2

Alfrescian
Loyal
To me, the only thing about this (or any other athlete) is their ability in that category, other things are their own personal life. I reached this conclusion afer watching a documentary on Maradonna, Argentina's soccer star. That program was shown about his life after his "downfall" caused by drug (cocaine) abuse. Once he was adored, even worshipped as the greatest soccer player on earth, and after that, looked upon with disdain and disgust. In that program, he spoke. He said "I am from a poor background, without any education. When I became a millionaire, all I knew was to party and do good for my friends, which he did." For that, I understand him. He didn't harm anyone. What else could he have done? What else was he capable of? I will only see him as a soccer player, a great one. For any other trait, it is not my business to judge him.

Cheers!
So J Schooling flunk at swimming and also as a role model! That's two strikes down! But at least he's local, rite!

Luvurbaht

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I read somewhere thats he's still quite young, below 20 yrs old so still can get stronger and faster later on.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Peng Siong did very well. He was miles ahead of Schooling. He once was ranked world no. 1 for 50m freestyle.

Here is the issue and most Singaporeans have little clue. Schooling would not have been included in any National School Programme in any of the 1st world countries because he is short and his mum is short. At about age 14, these countries would ask you to undergo a series of test to determine your potential and whether the Govt can afford to spend tax payers money on these candidates.

In the first world countries, national sports bodies will ask size the kid as and a letter goes to their parents where their potential lies. Only a few kids get those letters. The parents are also called in to size their height and build as well. The next stage is that the kid must go for heart and lung capacity checks.

That's the reason why those in the know wondered how Schooling got deferment. This is similar to Patrick Tan case, where most Singaporeans have no idea what is going on.

These are matters of science. All the finalist for US trials are all above 1.90m. One of the shortest world competitor is from Japan who is 1.78m. Schooling is 1.7m.

Hope he don't turn out like Ang Peng Siong! He was top 5 once but frizzled out!!

3_M

Alfrescian
Loyal
C'mon , give the guy a little credit. He was swimming against the Olympic champion Chad le Clos.
and did come 7th (second last) in the 50m Butterfly final! LOL!

The issue is whether he is so good to warrant a NS deferment? We are not speaking about anyone who could win a SEA game gold but the potential to take on the bests in the world. Clearly his result doesn't justify such special treatment. Reminds me of someone who seriously think he could very well be the next IOC president only to end up second last.

Last edited:

Luvurbaht

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The issue is whether he is so good to warrant a NS deferment? We are not speaking about anyone who could win a SEA game gold but the potential to take on the bests in the world. Clearly his result doesn't justify such special treatment. Reminds me of someone who seriously think he could very well be the next IOC president only to end up second last.

Hahahaa, dont be so bad la.

numero uno

Alfrescian
Loyal
Oh crap will his poor performance justify more foreign sports ppl?

as i alwasy said the newspaper always report all the hype and crap. last time olympics make so much noise as if if he talented like sucking up some white man dick.created a fuss when he was disbarred because of some stupid swimming cap incodent. full of crap. last in commonwealth games. and they still have the audacity to brag about him winning a gold at next olympics. my foot. the trouble with sinkieland is that they always like to boast aloy when they have not proven them selves one single bit. next something would happen to show they they are in fact worse than lousy and amongst the lowest grade of talent. same with some ministars

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Hope he don't turn out like Ang Peng Siong! He was top 5 once but frizzled out!!

APS didn't fizzled out.
He was born in the wrong era....and without good sponsorship/support from sg sporting body (those chaps probably clueless on how to nurture a world class sportsman).
He did the best with what he had and his achievements (still unsurpassed by any sinkie) are nothing to be sneered at.
He could have been more, he had the talent to go further but alas it was not to be.

enterprise2

Alfrescian
Loyal
APS didn't fizzled out.
He was born in the wrong era....and without good sponsorship/support from sg sporting body (those chaps probably clueless on how to nurture a world class sportsman).
He did the best with what he had and his achievements (still unsurpassed by any sinkie) are nothing to be sneered at.
He could have been more, he had the talent to go further but alas it was not to be.

Thought he was training in US at that time. Think Singapore gave him everything he needed but he couldn't improve further and later all the guys that he beat overtook him. Sorry that's how I see it through my clear glasses!!