• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Local tuition centre wants to sue forums that say that their company is "bullshit"

makapaaa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
[h=1]LOCAL TUITION CENTRE WANTS TO SUE FORUMS THAT SAY THAT THEIR COMPANY IS "BULLSHIT"[/h]
<!-- /.block --> <style>.node-article .field-name-ad-box-in-article {float: left;margin: 15px 15px 10px 0;}.node-article .field-tags{clear: both;}</style> Post date:
25 Jul 2014 - 6:26pm

<ins style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; border: currentColor; width: 336px; height: 280px; display: inline-table; visibility: visible; position: relative; background-color: transparent; border-image: none;"><ins id="aswift_1_anchor" style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; border: currentColor; width: 336px; height: 280px; display: block; visibility: visible; position: relative; background-color: transparent; border-image: none;"><iframe name="aswift_1" width="336" height="280" id="aswift_1" frameBorder="0" marginWidth="0" marginHeight="0" scrolling="no" vspace="0" hspace="0" allowfullscreen="true" style="left: 0px; top: 0px; position: absolute;" allowTransparency="true"></iframe></ins></ins>

Dear The Real Singapore,

I am a local forum owner and I thought this news might be interesting for your readers. A local tuition centre called MindChamps are issuing legal threats through their lawyers to forum owners in Singapore for failure to remove comments by users that say that their tution centre services is rubbish and 'Bullshit'. Since when does complaining about a bad tuition centre equates to defamation? Doesn't the owner of the tuition centre remember what Tharman said you can call me stupid and useless because the PAP government have this terrible government policies but I won't sue you because these are just your opinions. But if you say that I am corrupted and a liar then I will require you to have facts to back that up if not I will sue you for defamation.

Calling someone "bullshit" hardly constitutes a false allegation that could be proven to be false as it is merely an expression of one's opinion. I want to warn all ordinary Singaporeans not to be afraid and back down just because you receive a letter of demand from the lawyer. A lot of times they are just making use of a lawyer to scare you and make you back down. You can read this legal letter below and you can see how stupid the lawyer even sound because calling a company "bullshit" doesn't constitute to a defamation lawsuit.

You can see some of the comments in the original forum thread below:
[h=1]MINDCHAMPS so costly?[/h]User 787180:
MINDCHAMPs has been using students who excel and important educators such as former RGS principal to endorse.I understand that they provide methods to study as oppse to rote learning but the fact is that it did not really goes into core contents of the subjects.From K1 to even varsity level the fee for each student ranges from $3000 to $6000 so exorbitant.My neighbours sent her son P6 and daughter sec 4 spending .$10k and yet no results.The p6 boy went for English course and emphasis on essay writing but fare badly in recent PSLE in 2007. The teachers did not even mark his practice papers even though they tried to teach him to write better.They instead asked the boy to bring back essay paper to be marked by his pte tutor.

What I understand is that the marketers they employed work like insurance agent.ie they're paid on comission basis..many of their marketers are only out getting pple to sign up and they are paid very lucratively hence the bulk of the comissions account for the high fees charged $3000 to $6000.These marketers are paid and even be rewarded based on how many students signed up for the courses.My neighbours' students even remarked they love going there to play as co emphaise play to encourage learning but these 2 children p4 & sec 4 obviously did not reap much benefits..luckily their parents can afford to splurge on them.Anyone can comment on MINDCHAMP
icon_razz.gif
icon_razz.gif
icon_razz.gif

User fudgester:
My neighbour’s son incurred >$6000 on Eng course alone for just a few months and the results still shows no improvement at all..not everybody is going to benefit from it.The worse is their agents( a bit like those insurance agents) keep pushing her to recommend and introduce her to sign up for > courses offered..outright aim is to maximise profits…can’t understand why so many suckers still willing to be sucked / lured into it?
Below is the legal letter sent to forum owners:

XaNwLSy.jpg

lYDNeYJ.jpg

A local Forum owner

Seee3

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Re: Local tuition centre wants to sue forums that say that their company is "bullshit

A classic example of top not straight, bottom will be crooked. Monkey see monkey do. It will go viral and damage is even more.

Muthukali

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Re: Local tuition centre wants to sue forums that say that their company is "bullshit

Would Ah Leong kena defamation letter too?

garlic

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Nowadays companies can sue people for bad reviews?

Sinkie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Let's all twit this thread to twitter.

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

It's all about marketing these days. And a lot of parents are willing suckers for it, so that's that.

It's the same with baby milk powder these days. During my time it was Dumex, Nespray and KLIM, the big three brands.

Nowadays you get the weird and exotic milk powders, fortified with taurine and other stuff. A small can costs a bomb.

garlic

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Licensed OKTs can sue for bad FRs?

Romagnum

Alfrescian
Loyal

Can safely ignore this letter - the chance of them winning defamation case is zero.

This bully tactic works on the those who are clueless.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal

i more shocked about the size of the fees involved. For that amount, it would be criminal if mindchamps accepts students with doing a baseline assessment and show the improvement. You just cannot these kinds of fees and then blame the child for not improving.

Thick Face Black Heart

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

i more shocked about the size of the fees involved. For that amount, it would be criminal if mindchamps accepts students with doing a baseline assessment and show the improvement. You just cannot these kinds of fees and then blame the child for not improving.

These fees have been going on for a long time, and not just mindchamps. There is also no redress for kids who fail to show improvement. Other centres are more unscrupulous, where if a student is approaching exam date and is still weak, the tutor will force him to quit citing his laziness and lack of motivation.

Complaints are made, and litany of excuses usually dished out. But other parents still come in next year and pay the same fees. Kiasu mentality at its finest and there's nothing on earth that can stop them as they feel their kids cannot lose out to other kids.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal

Seriously bro, I was not aware. Former CJ used to pay a few hundred a month to a PHD guy to teach his now perm sec daughter during her A levels. For that kind of fee, I expect the kids to be Minister. And I thought Kong Hee was a crook.

These fees have been going on for a long time, and not just mindchamps. There is also no redress for kids who fail to show improvement. Other centres are more unscrupulous, where if a student is approaching exam date and is still weak, the tutor will force him to quit citing his laziness and lack of motivation.

Complaints are made, and litany of excuses usually dished out. But other parents still come in next year and pay the same fees. Kiasu mentality at its finest and there's nothing on earth that can stop them as they feel their kids cannot lose out to other kids.

Thick Face Black Heart

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

Seriously bro, I was not aware. Former CJ used to pay a few hundred a month to a PHD guy to teach his now perm sec daughter during her A levels. For that kind of fee, I expect the kids to be Minister. And I thought Kong Hee was a crook.

My friend sent her son to a tuition centre. Hefty fees. Hundreds per month, and mind you a large class size.

Two months before his exam the centre asked him to discontinue. The reason being that he was so weak they knew he would drag down their record. My friend got a home tutor out of desperation.

His score: 9 out of 100 for final exam.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal

Wow. Poor kid.

My friend sent her son to a tuition centre. Hefty fees. Hundreds per month, and mind you a large class size.

Two months before his exam the centre asked him to discontinue. The reason being that he was so weak they knew he would drag down their record. My friend got a home tutor out of desperation.

His score: 9 out of 100 for final exam.

garlic

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

If we say mindchamps is bullshit here, will Boss Sam get lawyer's letter?

tanwahp

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

What the hell is this guy smoking. In the thread, there isn't a single word "bullshit".

Some people too much spare cash. Might as well spend on pretty lawyers.

soIsee

Alfrescian
Loyal

And I bet it is to 'coach' his daughter primarily in English, which till this day she still is deficient in and it shows up whenever she speaks! LoL

Satyr

Alfrescian
Loyal

The fact that they have to resort to legal action is more damaging.
However this is symptom of the sickness of the Singapoore education system. Sheer idiocy to spend long hours at school and then long hours at a tuition centre to learn what should be taught in school.