• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

║ Serie A Season 2014-15 ║

LAZIO

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Totti has eyes on coaching role

18 November 2014

732175header.jpg

​Francesco Totti is keen to follow in the footsteps of former Italy team-mates Filippo Inzaghi and Vincenzo Montella into coaching.

The Roma captain has spent his entire career with the capital club, making 568 appearances and scoring 237 goals since making his debut in 1993, winning one Scudetto and two Coppa Italia titles.

Now 38, the forward has revealed that he does have plans to go into management, although he is keen to continue playing for the time being before possibly beginning his career on the bench at Roma.

"I will play for three more years and then train, maybe Roma," he told Gazzetta dello Sport.

"Maybe I will start with the kids, although perhaps there is no need.

"After all, someone who has played at my level does not take long to learn."

Totti is also convinced Roma are a stronger side than last season, which saw them finish second to Juventus in Serie A.

And the captain has challenged his team-mates to maintain their level of performance as they go in search of toppling the Turin giants at the top of the table.

"Our goal is to win [the title]," he added. "The team is still stronger than last year and Garcia says we are better than Juventus.

"But it's up to us [the players] to prove it."

LAZIO

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Crespo ready to lead Parma if required

18 November 2014

732689header.jpg

Hernan Crespo is ready to step in to help Parma resurrect their season if under-pressure boss Roberto Donadoni is dismissed.

Parma have made a disastrous start to the campaign with just six points from the opening 11 games, leaving them bottom of Serie A and four points from safety.

A 7-0 hammering at the hands of Juventus before the international break only served to pile more pressure on Donadoni and, though Crespo does not wish to see the former Italy boss pay with his job, he is prepared to step in if required.

"I hope that Roberto keeps Parma up and stays until the end of the season," the former Argentina striker, now Parma's youth coach, told Corriere della Sera.

"Then I know I'd be in pole position to take over in June.

"But if the club asked me for my help during the season I wouldn't shy away from it.

"I'm ready. Even the current economic situation at the club doesn't worry me, I've been here for years and I know everything about this place."

During his playing career Crespo scored 86 goals in two spells with Parma, and returned as part of the coaching set up earlier this year.

To add to Parma's woes this season, reports have suggested they could be deducted points for failing to pay player's wages.

Juventus

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Yanga-Mbiwa sustains thigh injury

18 November 2014

733269header.jpg

Mapou Yanga-Mbiwa is a serious doubt for Roma's Serie A clash with Atalanta on Saturday after picking up a thigh injury.

Roma go into the game second in the table, three points behind leaders Juventus after 11 matches.

But they will likely have to contend without Yanga-Mbiwa, after it was revealed on Tuesday that he had sustained the problem.

"Yanga-Mbiwa underwent medical tests today that confirmed a grade one strain to his right thigh," a statement said.

"The player has already started treatment for the injury."

The France international moved on loan to Roma from Newcastle United during the last transfer window and has made nine league appearances so far this season.

Roma have not placed a timescale on the defender's recovery, but this weekend's game may come to soon and he could miss the crucial UEFA Champions League fixture with CSKA Moscow next Tuesday.

Inzaghi

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Muriel suffers thigh injury

18 November 2014

734107header.jpg

Udinese striker Luis Muriel is facing a spell on the sidelines with a thigh injury.

The Colombia international pulled up with the problem during a friendly against Red Star Belgrade over the weekend.

Muriel subsequently underwent tests on Tuesday that indicated a tear in his right thigh.

Udinese have now confirmed that the 23-year-old is to undergo further evaluation in eight to 10 days to get a clearer picture as to the extent of the issue.

"[Muriel] has already started physiotherapy as appropriate," read a statement on Udinese's website.

"In eight to 10 days he will have repeated examinations which will better enable us to define a more precise prognosis."

Muriel has made 11 Serie A appearances this season for an Udinese side that sit eighth in Italy's top flight.

Inzaghi

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Thohir: Inter objectives the same for Mancini

19 November 2014

736911header.jpg

Inter president Erick Thohir says expectations remain the same for new coach Roberto Mancini as they were for predecessor Walter Mazzarri.

Mancini was confirmed as the man to take over from Mazzarri last week and will mark the start of his second stint with the club against rivals Milan on Sunday.

Having won Serie A and Coppa Italia titles during his first spell at San Siro, Mancini takes over with Inter ninth in the top flight and without a win in three matches in all competitions.

However, president Thohir claims he does not expect miracles, stating European qualification remains the objective as it was with Mazzarri.

"The objectives are the same as the ones we set Mazzarri: qualifying for Europe," he told Indonesian newspaper Topskor.

"The minimum goal is the Europa League, which now provides a route to the Champions League.

"I'm not asking for heroics, I will give Mancini as long as possible to build this team in order to achieve the ideal level of stability.

"The decision to hire Mancini went through thorough examination. I spoke with him, he's very ambitious."

LAZIO

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Milito: Mancini can inspire Inter revival

20 November 2014

738007header.jpg

Diego Milito is confident that Roberto Mancini can return Inter to the top of Italian football in his second spell at the club.

Mancini was reappointed as Inter coach last Friday as a replacement for Walter Mazzarri and will take charge of his first game back at the club in Sunday's derby with city rivals Milan.

The 49-year-old won three Serie A titles and two Coppa Italia crowns in his first stint with Inter, which came to an end in 2008 when he was sacked and succeeded by Jose Mourinho.

Three-and-a-half seasons at Manchester City, in which he won the Premier League and the FA Cup, followed before a one-campaign reign at Galatasaray.

Despite Mancini's failure to enjoy sustained success with his previous two employers, Milito - who ended his five-year spell with Inter at the end of last season by leaving to return to Argentina with Racing Club - has faith that he can turn around the fortunes of a team sits ninth in Serie A.

"Everybody knows about Mancini, he's a great manager, with a lot of experience," Milito - who won Serie A, the UEFA Champions League and two Coppa Italias during his time at the club - told Perform.

"I don't have any doubt he'll be able to bring Inter back to greatness, he knows the club, he's beloved by the fans, which is always very important. He'll do great things, I'm sure about it.

"I believe the squad is good enough to achieve great things on the pitch, they have to fight for the title, they're a big club, it's imperative they fight to get titles."

Inter have experienced a high turnover of players in recent years, and Milito believes it will be some time before the team gels effectively.

"I see an Inter that's rebuilding, they’ve just changed the manager, it's going to take some time before they find their balance on the pitch," the 35-year-old added.

"Inter is going through a difficult phase, they have to find a new balance, a lot of us veterans left at the same time, a lot of changes in a very short time, you have to be patient and keep the faith."

Inzaghi

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Castan set for brain surgery

20 November 2014

738331header.jpg

Roma defender Leandro Castan will undergo surgery on a brain injury, the club have confirmed.

The 28-year-old has played just once this season, against Empoli in September - a game that saw him withdrawn at half-time after suffering from dizziness.

Subsequent tests have revealed that an accumulation of fluid, resulting in swelling on the brain, was the route of Castan's discomfort.

Roma coach Rudi Garcia has opted not to risk the Brazilian since and he could now be set for a longer-term absence as he prepares to go under the knife, though his neurological issue is not life-threatening.

A club statement read: "After the Empoli v Roma match, Leandro Castan suffered a bout of acute dizziness.

"The player underwent medical tests in the days after the match, which revealed a congenital vascular alteration in his brain, a condition more commonly known as a cavernoma.

"Inside the cavernoma, the tests revealed a small edema and, as a consequence, temporary swelling. This was the cause of the symptoms reported by the player, which subsided of their own accord within a few days.

"Although the cavernoma does not represent a threat to the player's life - indeed, he is currently in peak physical condition - he is at risk of reoccurrences.

"Therefore, the medical staff, club and player have agreed that he will undergo neurosurgery at the beginning of December in order to definitively cure the problem. This will allow his to resume regular competitive sporting activity."

Juventus

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Serie A Preview: Mancini reign to begin with Milan derby

20 November 2014

738095header.jpg

Roberto Mancini has been handed a baptism of fire on his return to Inter - starting with a crucial Serie A derby against Milan on Sunday.

Mancini - who replaced Walter Mazzarri at the helm of the Italian giants last week - is not afforded time to settle into the top job.

Instead, a meeting with their city rivals and a clash with Roma are up first domestically for Mancini, who led the club to three successive titles and two Coppa Italia successes in a four-year tenure that ended in 2008.

The 49-year-old has since managed Manchester City and Galatasaray and takes over an Inter side languishing in ninth - 12 points adrift of leaders Juventus after just 11 matches.

Inter have won just four Serie A games this term and trail the seventh-placed Milan by a point.

Milan midfielder Sulley Muntari knows just how much the match means for players and supporters, having played for both sides, and believes victory at San Siro could kick-start his current employers' season.

"The derby means so much for us, for the table, but also for our self-confidence," Muntari told Milan Channel.

"We must give our all for our fans. It is going to be a very important match and we'll do everything to win.

"This is a unique event and therefore means a huge amount in the city.

"We've certainly been very focused and concentrated on the game. We've got to run and fight to the end, not think of what could go wrong.

"Mancini is a great coach who has done well everywhere. He will have an influence - but he won't be the one playing on the pitch."

Mancini, who said he considered the club his "home" when returning last week, will be banking on the goals of Mauro Icardi.

The Argentina international has scored seven times in Serie A - just two players have netted more this season.

Juve face a test of their credentials when they go to Rome to face fifth-placed Lazio on Saturday.

Massimiliano Allegri's men have bounced back from defeat at Genoa in impressive fashion and their 7-0 trouncing of Parma last time out was emphatic.

But Lazio have won four of their five home fixtures this season and will be no pushover.

Roma, who sit three points adrift of the leaders in second, are also in action on Saturday, when they go to struggling Atalanta.

The 17th-placed side have moved out of the relegation zone after losing just one of their last five, but have scored a league-low four goals.

Napoli and Sampdoria - third and fourth - will be big favourites to defeat Cagliari and Cesena respectively, while Genoa's improvement will be tested when Palermo come to town.

Genoa are undefeated in six matches.

Verona have not won in five and host out-of-sorts Fiorentina, while Parma and Chievo, both trapped in the bottom three, battle Empoli and Udinese respectively.

And Sassuolo will be out to extend their five-match unbeaten run when they visit Torino.

Juventus

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Monk: Swansea will not recall Michu

21 November 2014

738849header.jpg

Swansea City manager Garry Monk is not considering recalling Michu when Wilfred Bony departs for the Africa Cup of Nations in January.

Monk could be without leading Ivorian marksman Bony for up to six matches once the showpiece African tournament - to be held in Equatorial Guinea - gets underway in the New Year.

Bony's absence has led to speculation that Michu - on loan at Serie A outfit Napoli - could return to Wales to fill the void.

But Monk was quick to dismiss the Spaniard's possible return when quizzed by reporters, instead claiming he could delve into the transfer market.

"Michu is on loan at Napoli for the season," Monk said. "I'm not even thinking about that, I've not even checked the details of the loan.

"Obviously Ivory Coast's qualification dictates what you do in terms of January. We may have to go into the loan market or do something to cover it.

"We've already been looking at all the positions but now Bony has qualified a striker is the position we do now have to cover.

"We could promote from within, but it is likely to be a loan. It might be a loan with a view to a permanent or to next season, or just for a month."

Swansea travel to defending Premier League champions Manchester City on Saturday.

DeSanctis

Alfrescian
Loyal

Garcia unsure of Castan timeframe

21 November 2014

739267header.jpg

Roma coach Rudi Garcia says he is unsure when Leandro Castan will return following brain surgery.

The 28-year-old has played just once this season, against Empoli in September - a game that saw him withdrawn at half-time after suffering from dizziness.

Subsequent tests revealed that an accumulation of fluid, resulting in swelling on the brain, was the cause of Castan's discomfort.

Castan will now undergo treatment for the issue, but Garcia said he would leave it to the medical professionals to put a timeframe on his comeback.

"I'm not a doctor," he said. "There are professionals who will evaluate him. We need to leave him alone, but it's clear, he's a Roma player.

"We are all behind Leo - after his surgery in December he will return to being a Roma player.

"Now we must leave him alone. He’s a warrior; he will soon be back at 200 per cent."

Castan's problem is the latest in a long line of injuries for Roma this season, and Garcia has bemoaned his side's fitness fortunes.

"It's bad luck for sure," he added. "At the moment it's not something to worry about. With so many games to play, and some players playing too much, it increases the chances of injuries.

"Things are slowly getting back to normal, and that’s the important thing. The returning players will give us even more."

Roma currently sit second in Serie A and visit Atalanta on Saturday.

Inzaghi

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Allegri reveals Lazio talks

21 November 2014

739125header.jpg

Massimiliano Allegri has revealed he held talks with Lazio prior to taking the Juventus job during the close-season.

Allegri assumed the reins at the Serie A champions after Antonio Conte departed to coach Italy and has led to club to the top of the table having suffered just one defeat in his opening 11 league matches in charge.

However, this season could have been very different for the former Milan boss had negotiations with Lazio to take over from Edy Reja been more productive.

"This summer I spoke with Lazio," he said ahead of Juve's clash with Lazio on Saturday. "I spoke with president [Claudio] Lotito, but we didn't find an agreement and didn't do anything. Then fortunately I arrived at Juventus.

"Lazio are a very good team. Firstly, they're well-coached, well organised and a very physical team.

"They're coming off the back of a defeat [to Empoli], they're smarting from that and will try to make things difficult for us.

"They're a team which can aim for third place, so it'll be a very difficult game for us."

Juve have had to endure a torrid time with injuries during the early stages of the campaign, but Allegri will have Andrea Pirlo at his disposal for this weekend's trip to Rome.

"Pirlo is training with the team," he added. "He's available and can play tomorrow night.

"As for the other injured players, [Patrice] Evra has almost recovered and, after Sunday, he will return to the squad, then he or [Kwadwo] Asamoah will play on Wednesday [away to Malmo in the UEFA Champions League].

"[Martin] Caceres we hope to have back after the Torino game [November 30], [Angelo] Ogbonna should be back with the team this week.

"[Andrea] Barzagli is here, even though he's not training with the team, and [Arturo] Vidal came back [from international duty] last night. He's fine, and he's available.

"Romulo has an ongoing groin injury, there are days when it's better and days when it's worse.

"We'll evaluate him today and see whether he'll be available for Saturday's game against Lazio."

LAZIO

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Allegri: Lazio could hurt Juventus

550001_heroa.jpg

Stefan Coerts
Nov 21, 2014 13:35:48

The former Milan boss is anticipating a tight encounter and pointed to the physical and organisational qualities of Saturday's opponents

Juventus coach Massimiliano Allegri has warned his players they cannot afford to underestimate Lazio in this weekend's Serie A clash.

The reigning champions hold a nine-point lead over Saturday's rivals, but Allegri is insistent the Biancocelesti are a force to be reckoned with.

"It will be a very difficult game for us, Lazio are a team who can aim for third place and have some excellent players," Allegri said at a press conference.

"Lazio are a well drilled, physical outfit and will want to bounce back after suffering a defeat in their last game.

"We need to be raring to go and ready for Lazio.

"We're a little short in defence as it stands but the team's doing well. Ours is the league's best rearguard and that's a comforting stat."

Allegri then went on to discuss his side's injury problems.

"[Andrea] Pirlo and [Arturo] Vidal are available to play against Lazio. Romulo still has his groin problem, he has good days and bad days but we'll see if he'll make it for Lazio.

"[Patrice] Evra will be back training with us on Sunday, [Kwadwo] Asamoah will definitely be available for Wednesday, [Martin] Caceres after Torino, while [Luca] Marrone will be back with us after the Torino game."

Juventus

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Serie A Review: Top two both victorious

22 November 2014

740887header.jpg

Both Juventus and Roma secured all three points away from home as they overcame Lazio and Atalanta respectively on Saturday.

Reigning champions Juve began the day three points clear of their nearest title rivals at the summit, before Roma's 2-1 win at Atalanta brought them momentarily level with Massimiliano Allegri's men.

Juventus responded in style, however, running out comfortable 3-0 winners at Lazio to restore their lead at the top.

Paul Pogba struck the first blow midway through the first half following a swift counter-attack, and Carlos Tevez doubled their advantage 10 minutes into the second period.

Pogba tucked home the third in the 64th minute and although Juve had Simone Padoin sent off for a second caution 20 minutes from time, they saw out a comfortable victory and extended their unbeaten run against Lazio in the league to 20 matches.

By contrast, Roma had to overcome a stiff challenge to see off Atalanta in Bergamo.

The home side made a flying start when Maximiliano Moralez lashed Cristian Raimondi's cut-back in off the underside of the crossbar in the very first minute.

Adem Ljajic brought his side level midway through the first half as he cut back on his right foot and unleashed a shot which flew into the bottom-right hand corner from the edge of the box.

And the turnaround was complete three minutes prior to the interval, Ljajic turning provider to set up Radja Nainggolan to sweep the ball home from 16 yards.

Juventus

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Serie A Review: Mancini´s Inter rescue derby draw

23 November 2014

741995header.jpg

Roberto Mancini's first game back in charge of Inter ended in a 1-1 draw as Joel Obi's goal rescued a point against city rivals Milan.

Mancini returned to the club he left in 2008 last week, replacing the departed Walter Mazzarri, who paid the price for an inconsistent start to the season.

Inter claimed three successive Serie A crowns in Mancini's first reign, but they were unable to get the former Manchester City boss' second reign off to a winning start at San Siro on Sunday.

Milan hit the front midway through the first half thanks to Jeremy Menez's superb volley from 12 yards.

Inter toiled in their quest for an equaliser, but they levelled just after the hour mark as Obi drove in his first Serie A goal.

Both sides had chances to win it in the final stages - Stephan El Shaarawy hitting the crossbar for Milan and Mauro Icardi lifting a half-volley narrowly over for Inter, but the points were shared as both teams continue to languish in mid-table.

At the Stadio San Paolo, Napoli twice threw away winning positions in a 3-3 draw with Cagliari.

Rafael Benitez's side were two up inside half an hour thanks to goals from Gonzalo Higuain and Gokhan Inler, but they were pegged back either side of half-time.

Victor Ibarbo reduced the arrears in the 38th minute, with Diego Farias drawing the visitors level two minutes after the break.

Jonathan de Guzman restored Napoli's lead shortly after the hour mark but Cagliari - led by Zdenek Zeman, who had a short stint in charge of Napoli in 2000 - earned themselves a point as Farias grabbed his second shortly after De Guzman's goal.

There was a landmark day for Udinese's Antonio Di Natale, who scored his 200th Serie A goal in his 400th appearance as his side drew 1-1 at home to Chievo.

Rock-bottom Parma's woes continued as they went down 2-0 at home to Empoli courtesy of Matias Vecino and Francesco Tavano.

It was another dismal day for Parma, who had been trounced 7-0 by Juventus in the game preceding the international break, with head coach Roberto Donadoni insisting he will not give up despite his team's plight.

Sassuolo extended their unbeaten run to six matches as they won 1-0 at Torino, who have now lost three in succession.

Juan Sanchez Mino missed a first-half penalty for the hosts, and they were made to rue that wastefulness as substitute Antonio Floro Flores struck the winner three minutes from time.

Elsewhere, Constantin Nica's own goal rescued a 1-1 draw for fourth-placed Sampdoria at struggling Cesena, while goals from Gonzalo Rodriguez and Juan Cuadrado earned Fiorentina a 2-1 success at Verona.

Inzaghi

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Di Natale celebrates scoring 200th Serie A goal

638461_heroa.jpg

By Joe Wright
Nov 23, 2014 21:05:08

The veteran striker says he is now targeting Roberto Baggio's tally of 205 after reaching the milestone in Udinese's 1-1 draw with Chievo

Udinese striker Antonio Di Natale has warned there is still more to come from him after he scored his 200th career goal in Serie A on Sunday.

The veteran's seventh league goal of the season took him to the milestone, although a brilliant equaliser from Ivan Radanovic denied Udinese maximum points from the clash with Chievo.

Speaking after the match, the 37-year-old vowed to chase down legendary forward Roberto Baggio's mark of 205 in Italy's top flight.

"It's a shame [we didn't win], Chievo were organised and we had taken the lead, but they scored a great goal. Against a tough team like that, it's a good point," he told Sky Sport Italia.

"I want to thank all the team-mates and coaches I've worked with over the years, my wife, my children and my parents, who are watching me from up there.

"Matching Baggio is my next objective."

Udinese's draw moved them a point above AC Milan in the Serie A table prior to the Rossoneri's derby clash with Inter later on Sunday.

Juventus

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Pogba already better than Platini, claims Raiola

641131_heroa.jpg

Stefan Coerts
Nov 25, 2014 09:50:48

The player's representative says the midfielder has the same characteristics as Zlatan Ibrahimovic and will win the Ballon d'Or more than once

Mino Raiola feels Juventus midfielder Paul Pogba is already a better player than Bianconeri icon Michel Platini ever was and has little doubt his client will go on to win the Fifa Ballon d'Or at some point in the future.

The 21-year-old won the prestigious Golden Boy award last year as the best player in the world under the age of 21 and is one of 23 players to have made the shortlist for the 2014 Ballon d'Or and Raiola has little doubt the Frenchman is destined for greatness.

"Paul is already better than Platini. He scores and acts like a playmaker. He can play as central midfielder and in the No.10 position," Pogba's agent told Radio Rai.

"We are talking about a midfielder who is physically strong and tactically aware. He is a modern and complete player. I might be biased, but I'm not wrong.

"Pogba has the same characteristics as [Zlatan] Ibrahimovic. Even if we are living in the era of Lionel Messi and Cristiano Ronaldo, Paul will win the Ballon d'Or more than once."

The powerful midfielder has been a key figure for Juventus this season, scoring four goals in 14 appearances in all competitions.

DeSanctis

Alfrescian
Loyal

Torosidis suffers calf strain

27 November 2014

746043header.jpg

Roma's defensive woes have deepened after Vasilis Torosidis was ruled out with a calf strain on Thursday.

With Maicon already struggling with injury, the news that Torosidis requires treatment will see Roma's options at full-back severely limited in the coming weeks.

"Earlier today, Vasilis Torosidis underwent medical tests that revealed a grade-one strain to his right calf," a statement read.

"The player has already started treatment on the injury."

Roma also have Mapou Yanga-Mbiwa and Leandro Castan on the sidelines.

Head coach Rudi Garcia was forced to field forward Andrea Florenzi at right-back in the UEFA Champions League clash with CSKA Moscow on Tuesday, and the 23-year-old could feature there again this weekend against Inter.

Roma will hope Maicon makes a quick return from his hamstring injury to resolve the issue, especially with a crucial Champions League fixture against Manchester City two weeks away.

Maicon did resume training this week, but was not deemed match fit by Garcia for the trip to Moscow.

Ranocchia

Alfrescian
Loyal

Riera released by Udinese

27 November 2014

746329header.jpg

Midfielder Albert Riera has been released by Udinese after failing to make a single appearance for the Serie A club.

Udine announced the signing of the Spaniard in March on a pre-contract agreement after he was released by Turkish giants Galatasaray.

Riera spent the remainder of last season on loan at Watford and linked up with Andrea Stramaccioni's men when his contract started on July 1.

The much-travelled 32-year-old has now become a free agent after failing to make an impact at Stadio Communale Friuli.

Espanyol, Manchester City, Liverpool and Olympiacos are among the clubs Riera has turned out for over the years.

Ibisevic

Alfrescian
Loyal

Monk rubbishes talk of Michu return

27 November 2014

746199header.jpg

Garry Monk has dismissed speculation that Michu could cut short his loan spell at Napoli and return to Swansea City.

After joining from Rayo Vallecano, the Spaniard enjoyed a stellar first Premier League campaign in 2012-13, scoring 18 times in 35 appearances.

He struggled with injuries during 2013-14, netting just twice in 17 outings, and was allowed to go out on a season-long loan to the Serie A club at the start of the campaign.

The 28-year-old has made just three league appearances under Rafael Benitez as he continues to struggle with his fitness, sparking rumours that he could make an early return to Wales.

But in a press conference on Thursday, Monk moved to quash such talk.

"Nothing's changed as far as I'm concerned," he said. "I know he's struggling with his injury, but communication between the club is nothing about him coming back.

"I will focus on players here. Michu made the decision to try a different challenge which I supported because we have a great relationship.

"But in terms of this season I'm dealing with the players we have here."

Inzaghi

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Serie A Preview: Roma out to stay in touch with Juve

27 November 2014

745671header.jpg

Roma host Inter on Sunday, with Rudi Garcia's men aiming to keep pace with league leaders Juventus.

There are three points separating second-placed Roma and defending champions Juve atop the Serie A table approaching week 13.

Roma stayed within a win of Juve after Adem Ljajic and Radja Nainggolan helped overhaul Atalanta 2-1 last week.

Since then, Roma have travelled to Moscow, where they conceded in the 90th minute to draw 1-1 at CSKA Moscow in the UEFA Champions League on Tuesday.

The last-gasp equaliser did not sit well with Roma captain Francesco Totti, who opened the scoring in Russia.

"It was like getting punched by Mike Tyson, because I really did not expect that goal right at the end," Totti told Sky Sport Italia.

"We played a good first half but being a big team means coming here and taking the initiative. We did not control the ball well towards the end and we were punished for it.

"It was very difficult to play the ball on the ground in this cold but we are not looking for excuses. Unfortunately this little incident happened and nobody expected it."

Roma welcome an Inter outfit to the Stadio Olimpico desperate to win for the first time under new coach Roberto Mancini.

Mancini was thrust into the hot seat on Sunday, drawing 1-1 with city-rivals Milan in his first match in charge since returning to the San Siro.

Inter - 14 points adrift of top spot in ninth position - are winless in their past three outings in Serie A, but defender Juan Jesus believes the club are already showing signs of improvement with Mancini at the helm.

"With Mancini things are going well. It is an honour to be coached by him, I have so much to learn and I am just happy," he said.

Juventus are also in action on Sunday, hosting struggling Torino in the Turin derby.

And Juve come into the clash on the back of a 2-0 defeat of Malmo in the Champions League on Wednesday.

Carlos Tevez - the league's leading goalscorer (nine) - was on target in Sweden midweek.

High-flying pair Sampdoria and Napoli complete the round on Monday, in a clash that pits fourth against third.

In other fixtures, Milan - winless in five matches - play Udinese on Sunday.

Fiorentina will be out to make it back-to-back wins when they travel to lowly Cagliari, while cellar-dwelling Parma travel to Palermo.

Empoli and Atalanta, who hover just a point above the relegation zone, go head-to-head.

Genoa can end a run of consecutive draws at Cesena.

Sassuolo and Hellas Verona kick-off the weekend's action on Saturday, while Chievo and Lazio are in action later that day.