• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

║ Serie A Season 2014-15 ║

Hamsik

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

AC Milan facing Seedorf lawsuit

457085_heroa.jpg

Sep 17, 2014 13:19:08

The Serie A side are in talks with the 38-year-old's legal team over a financial compensation over his summer dismissal, but negotiations have so far been unfruitful

Clarence Seedorf's lawyer Tiziano Treu has suggested that the Dutchman is ready to take AC Milan to court over a pay dispute.

The former Netherlands international was appointed as Rossoneri coach in January after Massimiliano Allegri's sacking, but he was unable to sufficiently inspire the club up the Serie A table as they eventually finished eighth.

Milan consequently removed the former midfielder from his role, paving the way for Filippo Inzaghi to come in.

Italian football clubs typically place departed coaches on 'gardening leave' rather than terminating their contracts, meaning Seedorf would need to be paid until June 2016 - when his deal was due to expire.

The club and Seedorf are in talks in an attempt to resolve the situation, but Treu - a member of the former Netherlands international's legal team - expects the dispute to end up in court.

"We hope for an amicable solution and [one] that satisfies both parties, but the last meeting did not go very well," he is quoted as saying by Gazzetta Dello Sport.

"As things stand, there is a high chance we will end up in court."

Milan top Serie A after winning each of their opening two games of the season under new boss Inzaghi.

LAZIO

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Inzaghi: We have nothing to lose against Juventus

457967_heroa.jpg

John-Paul Tooth
Sep 19, 2014 16:20:39

The Milan boss is happy with his side's perfect start to the season and hopes they will continue that form when they take on the Bianconeri on Saturday

Milan coach Filippo Inzaghi says his team have nothing to lose in their Serie A clash with Juventus at San Siro on Saturday.

The Rossoneri have made a perfect start to the season so far, winning both their league games, and hope to continue that form after a disappointing last campaign in which they finished eighth and failed to qualify for Europe.

"It is a big game and I'm happy for my team. We have six points and we will play the game with nothing to lose," the 41-year-old explained.

"I repeated this idea to my team. We will play in a full San Siro and that could help us to succeed, to have the perfect match ... I do not know if this will happen, but we will give it our all.

"I'm not sure where we will finish, but I know where we started. We can not expect to be like [three-time defending Serie A champions] Juventus.

"We are no longer the Milan who could take to the field without worrying about the opposition, but in a one-off game we hope to make up for all this with our desire."

The former striker, who featured for both clubs in an illustrious playing career, also talked about his side's recent progess.

"The results have given us confidence, but we are not perfect and we need to improve," he went on.

"We need to be happy but also aware of our problems ... I'm satisfied with the job and with the desire that we will improve further.

"We must try to keep up with Juventus. A win would be great for our morale - I can't wait for this game."

The former Italy star also talked about his relationship with Juventus coach Massimiliano Allegri, who he previously worked under whilst playing at Milan.

"I've had some misunderstandings with Allegri, but these have always been clarified," he continued.

"From each coach who coached me, I learned something. Allegri prepares in a very technical way and will make life difficult.

"He has a great team and I wish him all the best - maybe after the game tomorrow night!", he added.

LAZIO

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Astori suffers knee injury

18 September 2014

656035header.jpg

Roma will be without Davide Astori for several weeks after he suffered a knee injury during the UEFA Champions League win over CSKA Moscow.

The on-loan central defender damaged his right knee during the resounding 5-1 win at the Stadio Olimpico on Wednesday, but was able to complete the full 90 minutes as Roma rose to the top of Group E.

However, the news that Astori is set for a spell on the sidelines is a blow ahead of the Eternal City club's Serie A clash with his parent club Cagliari on Sunday.

"Astori was sent for tests which revealed a right knee sprain with damage to the collateral medial ligament," said a statement on Roma's official website.

"The player has already started physiotherapy on the case."

His absence could see another loanee, Mapou Yanga-Mbiwa, come into the side for the clash at Stadio Olimpico this weekend.

LAZIO

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Serie A Preview: Milan battle Juve as Gomez eyes goals

18 September 2014

656137header.jpg

Milan coach Filippo Inzaghi and Juventus counterpart Massimiliano Allegri face their former clubs in Saturday's table-topping Serie A clash.

Allegri left Milan at the end of last season and took over at Juventus, while former Italy striker Inzaghi swapped the iconic black-and-white stripes for the red-and-black Milan jersey in a high-profile transfer in 2001.

Since replacing Allegri, Inzaghi has guided Milan to a 3-1 win at home to Lazio and a thrilling 5-4 success at Parma that included Jeremy Menez's sensational backheel goal and another sterling performance from Japan attacker Keisuke Honda.

"He reminds me of a young [Louis] van Gaal," said Milan midfielder Nigel de Jong of Inzaghi before the Dutchman rued the presence on the in-form Carlos Tevez in the Juventus attack.

"If I could take one player out of the Juve team it would be Tevez. Carlitos is a true warrior. He is a crucial piece of the current Juventus."

The magnitude of this weekend's game at San Siro is not lost on De Jong, who added: "It's certainly our first real test, but it's also Juve's."

Juventus have also begun the season impressively as they seek a fourth successive Serie A title and Allegri hopes to have influential midfielder Arturo Vidal back from injury against Milan.

"Against Juventus we will need to play a perfect game," said Inzaghi.

"We have nothing to lose because they are a stronger team, but in football you never know. I hope that the San Siro and our fans can help us achieve a miracle."

Inter, for whom 21-year-old striker Mauro Icardi bagged a hat-trick in last weekend’s 7-0 thrashing of Sassuolo, are at Palermo on Sunday, while fellow title contenders Roma are at home to Cagliari.

Sampdoria, in fifth, will hope for more magic from Stefano Okaka when they visit Sassuolo, who must content without suspended talisman Domenico Berardi.

Atalanta and Verona, who are level with Inter and Sampdoria on four points, are at home to Fiorentina and away to Torino respectively.

Fiorentina striker Mario Gomez sat out much of last season through injury and has missed some gilt-edged chances so far this term.

"They have not seen the real Mario Gomez," he stressed. "When I don't score for two or three games, everyone is talking about me.

"I'm not worried. I want to score as soon as possible and I am certain it'll happen."

Udinese host Napoli in a game between teams on three points apiece as Genoa entertain Lazio.

Empoli and Parma, the only two sides without a point after the opening two games, will hope to get off the mark away to Cesena and Chievo respectively.

Hamsik

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Serie A Review: Allegri wins on Milan return, Empoli fight back

20 September 2014

658863header.jpg

Massimiliano Allegri made a winning return to Milan as Carlos Tevez's second league goal of the season gave Juventus a 1-0 win on Saturday.

Having been sacked by Milan in January, Allegri was the surprise choice to replace Antonio Conte at Juve but victory at San Siro sees him extend his 100 per cent record in charge of the defending champions.

Juventus dominated possession throughout the match with Roberto Pereyra, back after European suspension, particularly impressive.

They struggled to find the finishing touch, though, and had to wait until the 71st minute for Tevez to strike the decisive blow.

Paul Pogba held off three Milan defenders on the edge of the area before playing an exquisite pass to the Argentine and he fired beyond Christian Abbiati.

Milan introduced loanee Fernando Torres in the final 15 minutes but, like the rest of his team-mates, he was unable to find his way past Juve's solid defence.

Elsewhere on Saturday, Empoli came from two goals down to earn a 2-2 draw at Cesena.

The hosts settled the quicker at the Stadio Dino Manuzzi and opened the scoring on the half hour as Guido Marilungo found the back of the net at the second attempt.

Franco Brienza saw his effort pushed away by Luigi Sepe and although Marilungo struck the bar, he was able to head home the rebound.

Gregoire Defrel doubled their lead two minutes later as he unleashed a 25-yard strike that bounced in front of Sepe and flew into the corner.

Cesena's first-half dominance did not continue after the break, though, as Empoli were awarded a penalty on 55 minutes that Francesco Tavano duly converted.

The comeback was complete when Daniele Rugani struck with 18 minutes to play and earn Empoli a first point of the season.

Hamsik

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Victory not ´revenge´ for Allegri

20 September 2014

massimilianoallegri_getty19.jpg

Massimiliano Allegri insists Juventus' 1-0 win over Milan on Saturday was not "revenge" for his San Siro sacking in January.

The 47-year-old returned to Milan for the first time to face his former club and masterminded an impressive Juve display that was capped off by Carlos Tevez's winning goal.

Numerous chances fell the way of the visitors before Tevez's strike - his second Serie A goal of the season - while Milan were only able to fully test Gianluigi Buffon with a first-half header from Keisuke Honda.

Allegri was delighted with the victory, which extends their winning start to the campaign, but insisted the three points was most important and not inflicting defeat on his previous employers.

"After three and a half years at Milan sharing emotions, intense moments and victories, it would've been impossible to consider this a normal game," he told Sky Sport Italia. "Having said that, it was absolutely not a chance for revenge.

"Milan was an important step in my career and I am still very fond of this club. Now I am at Juventus and I am focused on winning with Juventus.

"I think it was a good game.

"Milan defended, we created several scoring opportunities and ran some risks on the counter-attack, but overall we controlled the match pretty well.

"We are on a journey and will improve as time goes on. There are still things to fix and do better on, but the players mainly controlled the ball well after taking the lead and I liked their attitude."

As well as maintaining their winning run, Juventus' clean sheet means they remain yet to concede a goal in all competitions.

Hamsik

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Berlusconi: Milan will be world-beaters in two or three years

411859_heroa.jpg

By Miles Chambers
Sep 20, 2014 12:33:27

Despite struggling to meet expectations in the past couple of seasons, the Rossoneri owner thinks a swift return to the elite of European football is feasible

AC Milan owner Silvio Berlusconi has predicted that his club will be world-beaters once again in just two or three years.

The Rossoneri have fallen from grace since their title win in 2010-11 and this season is the first time in 14 years that they will not be taking part in any form of European football.

However, ahead of their clash with Scudetto holders Juventus on Saturday, Berlusconi stressed he is convinced that Milan can return to being considered among the world's elite in just a few years.

"From 2003 to 2007 we won everything there was to win in the world and are still the club with the most international trophies in the world,” the former Italian prime minister told Milan's official website.

"I think that in two or three years, with the strengthening of the squad, we will return to where we deserve to be: among the big guns in Italy, in Europe and the world.

"I spoke to the players and told them this game is not just important, but fundamental, because if they play well and beat Juventus, the disappointments of the last two years will be forgotten and the fans will be completely back in love with us."

Filippo Inzaghi's men have started 2014-15 in flying fashion, picking up two wins from two games, to be placed at the summit of Serie A.

Hamsik

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Gentiletti out for six months

22 September 2014

660311header.jpg

New Lazio defender Santiago Gentiletti is expected to miss the next six months after suffering a knee injury.

Gentiletti - a new recruit after winning the Copa Libertadores with Argentina's San Lorenzo last month - injured the anterior cruciate ligament in his left knee during Lazio's 1-0 Serie A loss to Genoa on Sunday.

Lazio's worst fears were confirmed post-game, with the club confirming the 29-year-old will "undergo surgery in the coming days".

After missing Lazio's opening league fixture against Milan, Gentiletti started back-to-back matches against Cesena and Genoa.

Argentinian midfielder Lucas Biglia (foot) and Serbian utility Dusan Basta (hand) also sustained injuries on Sunday.

Lazio announced both players will undergo further tests.

Hamsik

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Serie A Review: Zeman denied Roma revenge, Inter held

21 September 2014

660053header.jpg

Roma climbed to the top of Serie A after two early goals denied Zdenek Zeman revenge against his former employers with Cagliari.

In his first meeting with Roma since his sacking two years ago, Zeman watched his new team concede two decisive goals in the opening 13 minutes.

Mattia Destro converted the first from close range following neat build-up, before Alessandro Florenzi doubled the hosts' advantage three minutes later.

Roma's bid to continue their 100 per cent start to the season went unthreatened from then on, but it wasn't all good news as Daniele De Rossi was withdrawn due to injury in the closing stages.

Elsewhere, Inter's strong start stuttered in Sicily as they were held to a 1-1 draw by Palermo.

An early error from Nemanja Vidic gifted Franco Vazquez the opener before Mateo Kovacic came up with a fine 20-yard drive to level before half-time.

Inter had two goals chalked off either side of the break before Palermo struck the bar and had a goal of their own disallowed in the 88th minute in a thrilling end to the contest.

Hellas Verona jumped to second spot with a 1-0 win at Torino courtesy of Artur Ionita's 66th-minute winner, making it back-to-back wins for Andrea Mandorlini's men.

And Genoa snatched a dramatic first success of the season as substitute Mauricio Pinilla scored a diving header in the 87th minute at home against Lazio.

The hosts found themselves under pressure for long periods, but Stefano Pioli's men were disrupted by injuries to Lucas Biglia, Dusan Basta and Santiago Gentiletti before Stefan de Vrij's 85th-minute sending off swung the game in Genoa's favour.

There was yet more disappointment for Rafael Benitez on Sunday as Danilo's sliding finish at the back post from Antonio Di Natale's clipped free-kick helped Udinese defeat Napoli 1-0 at home.

And in Veronia, three quick goals in 10 minutes helped Parma claim their first win, as they defeated Chievo 3-2.

Mariano Izco gave the hosts the lead but Antonio Cassano scored twice, either side of Massimo Coda's half-volley, to give Parma a two-goal cushion with 15 minutes to play.

Alberto Paloschi scrambled the ball over the line from a corner to set up a nervous finish but the visitors held on.

Fiorentina fought to their first win of the season, away at previously unbeaten Atalanta, Jasmin Kurtic settling it with a driven left-foot shot across the keeper from 18 yards.

Meanwhile, struggling Sassuolo survived the visit of Sampdoria without the suspended Domenico Berardi as their match finished goalless.

Hamsik

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Serie A Preview: Roma and Juventus out to maintain perfect starts

22 September 2014

660715header.jpg

Leaders Roma face their on-song former striker Antonio Cassano as Parma aim to spoil one of two 100 per cent records in Serie A on Wednesday.

With Morgan De Sanctis, Kostas Manolas, Radja Nainggolan and Alessandro Florenzi starring, Roma have won their first three league games without conceding a goal.

Extending that run at Parma will not be easy, though, with Cassano - who left Roma in 2006 after five years at the club - having scored three goals in his last two games.

Champions Juventus are the other side with a maximum haul of points so far and Roma coach Rudi Garcia knows his charges are up against it in their bid to stay top of the pile.

"We tried to reduce the gap from Juventus over the summer," said Garcia, whose side finished 17 points behind the Turin giants in 2013-14. "We've started well but we have to stay focused."

Roma have lost just one of their last 18 meetings with Parma in all competitions.

Juventus, for their part, have never suffered defeat by Cesena in their eight encounters. With Paul Pogba and Carlos Tevez thriving, Massimiliano Allegri's team are hot favourites to make it four wins from four.

"The indications from the start of the season are that it is between Juve and Roma," said Juventus director general Giuseppe Marotta, before praising his coach: "He is a winner, a great leader."

Allegri chose to deflect the plaudits to his team. He said: "Our positive start has been deserved by my players. When you have talented players as I do, everything is easier. However, we still have room for improvement."

Verona, two points off the pace, are at home to Genoa in a match in which the hosts' 37-year-old striker Luca Toni will face one of his 14 former clubs, while seventh-placed Sampdoria entertain struggling Chievo.

Milan, in fourth, are away to second-bottom Empoli in Tuesday's only fixture. Despite a 1-0 loss at home to Juventus on Sunday, Milan coach Filippo Inzaghi will have taken encouragement from another fine performance from Jeremy Menez, and Fernando Torres' return from injury as a second-half substitute.

Fifth-placed Udinese visit Lazio in the one game on Thursday, while sixth-placed Inter take on Atalanta, who are one point below their hosts, a day earlier.

Fiorentina welcome lowly Sassuolo to Florence hoping Juan Cuadrado can continue his sparkling form and Mario Gomez can end his goal drought.

Rafael Benitez is under pressure after his Napoli team, who face Palermo, were eliminated from the UEFA Champions League qualifying round and have suffered back-to-back 1-0 losses in Serie A.

Napoli have won their last four matches against the Sicilians, scoring 11 goals and conceding just one in the process.

Finally, Cagliari host Torino, who have failed to score in their last four games in all competitions, in a battle between two teams who are yet to win this term.

Hamsik

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Pallotta: Strootman is not for sale

22 September 2014

660907header.jpg

Roma president James Pallotta has reiterated the club's stance on Kevin Strootman, insisting the midfielder is not for sale.

The Netherlands international moved to the Italian capital from PSV in July 2013 and quickly established himself as a key component at the heart of Rudi Garcia's team.

But the 24-year-old suffered a serious setback in March when he tore his anterior cruciate ligament in a 1-0 defeat at Napoli, an injury that required surgery and caused the Dutchman to miss the World Cup in Brazil.

Strootman has frequently been linked with a move to Manchester United to join up with former national team coac Louis van Gaal, but Pallotta has again denied that he will be sold.

"There has been non-stop reporting in UK newspapers about Kevin Strootman and Manchester United," he said.

"Kevin Strootman is not for sale and has never ever been discussed in that vein at Roma. They are wasting paper.

"We consider Kevin an integral highly valued partner in our long term plans."

Hamsik

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Roma squad can cope with injuries, insists Garcia

459799_heroa.jpg

By Harry West
Sep 23, 2014 17:48:54

Daniele De Rossi is the latest high-profile casualty at the Stadio Olimpico but the Frenchman has no fears that their form will suffer

Rudi Garcia is refusing to become concerned by Roma's lengthening injury list as his side prepare to take on Parma in Serie A on Wednesday.

Roma confirmed on Tuesday that inspirational midfielder Daniele De Rossi had picked up a grade-one tear to his left calf, rendering him unlikely to feature against Manchester City in the Champions League later this month, as well as the league clash with champions Juventus on October 5.

De Rossi joins the likes of Juan Iturbe and Davide Astori on the sidelines, but Garcia refused to bemoan the absence of some of his key men.

"De Rossi is an important player, but now we have to take care of him," the Frenchman said in a press conference on Tuesday.

"We will wait until after the international break to avoid the risk. In midfield we have other options.

"The run of injuries? I don't know if this sort of thing has happened before, but it can happen. It is for this reason that we have built a big squad, for the many commitments that we face.

"We have a big squad, I am confident that the players will give their best and that the level of the team will not change."

Roma have begun the campaign in fine style, winning all three Serie A matches without conceding as well as thrashing CSKA Moscow 5-1 in their opening Champions League encounter.

However, Garcia is wary of the test that awaits them at Parma.

"We are away to Parma, who are a team that always plays well," he said. "They have scored many goals and also conceded a few. For us, this will be a game to face like every other.

"We are going to Parma to win, knowing that it is a difficult place to win at, but that we must be ready to give everything on the pitch."

Hamsik

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Inter sporting director Ausilio signs new deal

23 September 2014

661893header.jpg

Inter have announced that sporting director Piero Ausilio has signed a new three-year contract with the Serie A club.

Ausilio has had a key role to play in shaping a new-look squad at San Siro, with the likes of Nemanja Vidic, Pablo Daniel Osvaldo and Gary Medel arriving at the club in the close-season.

The 39-year-old had been expected to put pen to paper on a new deal with Inter and it was confirmed on Tuesday that he will remain in Milan until June 2017.

Ausilio told the club's official website: "I am very happy and proud.

"I thank president (Erik) Thohir for the faith he has shown in me. Our shared goal is to build an Inter side that can once again compete for trophies and restore the club to its rightful place in Italy and Europe."

Thohir welcomed Ausilio's decision to extend his stay at the club as he strives to make Inter a force once again.

"We are delighted that our sporting director has extended his contract," said Thohir.

"We have laid the foundations of a big project and we are working hard with a lot of energy to lay the groundwork for a successful Inter side."

Inter face Atalanta in Serie A at San Siro on Wednesday and coach Walter Mazzarri is eager to end a run of six games without a win against the Bergamo club.

He said at a press conference on Tuesday: "We have to prove we're good enough to break that tradition.

"Teams always find an extra gear when they're up against Inter. We're at the start of a new cycle, with a new set of players.

"You have to match your opponents on a physical and mental level. If we manage that, then we can let our quality shine through.

"I'd like to see the same approach tomorrow as we showed against Sassuolo [a 7-0 win on September 14], getting at them from the start instead of letting them get at us. We need to aim for consistency in all the games we play."

Inter were held to a 1-1 draw at Palermo at the weekend and will go in search of their second Serie A win of the season on Wednesday.

Hamsik

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Van Ginkel suffers ankle ligament damage

24 September 2014

663243header.jpg

Milan have confirmed that midfielder Marco van Ginkel suffered ankle ligament damage in Tuesday's 2-2 draw with Empoli.

Van Ginkel, who is on loan at San Siro from Premier League club Chelsea, came off on a stretcher with an icepack strapped to his right ankle 31 minutes into his Milan debut at the Stadio Carlo Castellani.

And Milan have now revealed the extent of the Dutchman's injury, although they do not know how long the 21-year-old will be sidelined.

A statement on Milan's official website read: "AC Milan would like to communicate that in the game against Empoli, Marco Van Ginkel sprained his right ankle and has suffered some ligament damage.

"It is at this stage unclear how long he will be out for."

The injury is the latest setback for a player who missed most of his first season with Chelsea due to a cruciate ligament injury.

Van Ginkel joins the likes of Michael Essien, Ricardo Montolivo, Alex and Diego Lopez in the Milan treatment room.

Hamsik

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Juventus debt rises to €206 million

412686_heroa.jpg

Stefan Coerts
Sep 24, 2014 10:50:43

The Italian champions saw revenue surpass the €300m mark over 2013-14, but their net financial debt has risen to over €200m

Juventus have announced that their net debt has risen from €160.3 million to €206m after releasing their financial report over 2013-14.

This increase is due to payments made in transfer campaigns (€46.1m), advances paid to the city of Turin and various suppliers for the Continassa project (€5.5m), investments in other fixed assets (€6.7m) and cash flow from financing activities (€7.5m), partially offset by positive cash flow from operations (€20.1m).

The Turin side closed the 2013-14 financial year with a loss of €6.7m, representing €9.2m less than the loss of €15.9m in the previous financial year.

Juventus saw revenue grow by €32m from €283.8m to €315.8m, an 11.3 per cent rise, while operating costs went up by 8.6% to €246.6m.

The draft financial statements for the year ended 30 June 2014 will be submitted for approval at the shareholders’ meeting called for 24 October 2014 at the Juventus Stadium.

Hamsik

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Inter part company with Cordoba

395222_heroa.jpg

Dominic Raynor
Sep 25, 2014 18:56:15

The retired defender, who made 435 appearances for the club, has left his role as team manager on coach Walter Mazzarri's staff

Inter have ended their working relationship with Ivan Cordoba after both parties agreed to terminate his role as team manager.

The 38-year-old former defender retired in 2012 after making 435 appearances for Inter and was retained by the club on coach Walter Mazzarri's staff.

A statement on the club's website read: "FC Internazionale and Ivan Cordoba announce that they have mutually agreed to end their working relationship.

"Inter thanks an unforgettable player and a great man.

"We wish him all the best for the future."

During his 13 years as a Milan player Cordoba won 15 trophies, including five Serie A titles and the Champions League in 2010.

He was the captain of Colombia and won the Copa America in 2001 during his 73 cap career.

Hamsik

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Benitez: Napoli job not on the line

410107_heroa.jpg

Dominic Raynor
Sep 25, 2014 15:27:47

The Spanish coach has won just one of four Serie A games this season, with his side slipping eight points behind leaders Juventus

Napoli coach Rafa Benitez does not feel his job is on the line despite going three league games without a win following Wednesday's 3-3 draw with Palermo.

Benitez's misfiring side were held at a half-empty Stadio San Paulo as they dropped eight points behind early pace-setters Juventus and Roma.

Napoli's last Serie A victory came on the opening day of the season when they beat Genoa 2-1 and Benitez now faces questions about his future.

"No, I don't feel any risk at all," the Spaniard said. "I've not spoken with the president [Aurelio De Laurentiis], but I don't need to speak to him every minute to not feel at risk.

"I am the coach of a strong team that did well last year and they will do well again. We're still playing at a high level, we just need to keep the faith."

Benitez agreed to join Napoli in the summer of 2013 when his spell as interim Chelsea boss came to an end.

The 54-year-old took over from Walter Mazzarri last summer and won the Coppa Italia in his debut campaign as well as finishing third in Serie A.

DeSanctis

Alfrescian
Loyal

Serie A Preview: Juventus and Roma aim to march on, Benitez calls for calm

25 September 2014

664309header.jpg

Juventus and Roma put their 100 per cent Serie A records on the line and Napoli coach Rafael Benitez seeks relief at Sassuolo this weekend.

Fit-again midfielder Arturo Vidal scored twice on his return to the starting line-up as Juve beat Cesena 3-0 defeat on Wednesday to make it five competitive victories out of five this season without conceding a goal.

The champions will look to extend that impressive run when they travel to Atalanta on Saturday and coach Massimiliano Allegri, who could welcome back midfielder Andrea Pirlo, stressed that there is more to come from his side.

"I inherited a side with great organisation, but this team still needs to improve a great deal," said Allegri. "Roma have a great team and they have improved from last season.

"Every coach trains the way he thinks is best and has different ways of expressing his concepts. At times you need to raise the tempo, at others lower it, and some players don’t need to be completely caged by tactics.

"I think games are won with organisation and excellent players, otherwise it becomes like playing on a computer and that's not possible."

The Turin giants have won their last eight meetings with Atalanta, who come into the game on the back of defeats against Fiorentina and Inter.

Roma will also be out to maintain their perfect start in Serie A when they host high-flying Verona on Saturday.

The capital outfit won 2-1 at Parma in midweek, with Francesco Totti setting up Adem Ljajic for the opening goal and Miralem Pjanic snatching maximum points late on.

“The pass from Totti was beautiful,” Ljajic told Sky Sport Italia. “It’s easy to play with him because he sees everything and always know how to supply the attackers.

“Pjanic is phenomenal and he does amazing things on the pitch.”

A 3-3 draw at home to Palermo on Wednesday intensified the pressure on Benitez, whose Napoli team have suffered elimination from the UEFA Champions League and made a poor start in Serie A this season.

The Naples outfit will on Sunday face a Sassuolo side who have drawn three and lost one of their four matches this term and Benitez has called for calm.

"We need to improve defensively, but it is clear that the composure is missing," said Benitez. "Crisis? We did well last year and should be calm."

City rivals Inter, who occupy third spot, and sixth-placed Milan are Serie A’s joint-leading scorers on 10 goals from four games.

Walter Mazzarri's Inter side will see a home clash with rock-bottom Cagliari on Sunday as a great opportunity to add to that goal tally, while Milan travel to Cesena on the same day.

Sampdoria take an unbeaten Serie A record into the Derby della Lanterna against Genoa on Sunday.

In Sunday’s remaining fixtures, mid-table sides Torino and Fiorentina lock horns and Chievo host Empoli.

Udinese and Palermo are at home to Parma and Lazio respectively on Monday.

DeSanctis

Alfrescian
Loyal

Roma welcome UEFA investigation

25 September 2014

664735header.jpg

Roma have welcomed a UEFA investigation into the club's possible breaches of Financial Fair Play regulations.

The European governing body announced on Thursday that they are to investigate seven clubs over a potential breaking of the rules.

Roma were among those teams who failed to break even in their latest financial reports, but were swift in issuing a statement to condone the action by UEFA.

"We support UEFA's efforts through Financial Fair Play to ensure financial stability in football – it is very much in line with our strategy and actions," it read. "Our current ownership took over a club in economic distress just three years ago and were very clear from the outset that our club would be run as a business in order to maximize economic success along with on-field performance.

"We are very proud of the economic and competitive accomplishments achieved in a very short time and are even more optimistic about our future.

"We look forward to a dialogue with UEFA and are confident they will recognize our accomplishments and consider us a model for future investment in European football."

Monaco, Besiktas, Inter, Krasnodar, Liverpool and Sporting Lisbon are the other six clubs under investigation.

DeSanctis

Alfrescian
Loyal

Serie A review: Inter stunned, Sampdoria derby delight

28 September 2014

albinekdalhighs-1t2cw5uykktra12u83rgcz765h.jpg

Albin Ekdal bagged a hat-trick as Cagliari stunned 10-man Inter 4-1 in Serie A on Sunday.

Inter had made a good start to the 2014-15 season, winning two and drawing two of their opening four fixtures.

But they fell apart against Cagliari as Swede Ekdal made the most of captain Yuto Nagatomo's red card at the San Siro.

Inter, who had only conceded one goal prior to kick-off, fell behind early as Marco Sau gave the visitors a 10th-minute lead.

Southampton loanee Dani Osvaldo restored parity for the home side eight minutes later but it all went downhill from that point.

Inter's Japanese full-back Nagatomo saw red for a second bookable offence in the 27th, paving the way for Ekdal to take centre stage.

The 25-year-old put Cagliari ahead in the 29th minute and he completed his treble haul before half-time as Zdenek Zeman's men ended their three-game winless streak.

It could have been a lot worse for Inter after Nemanja Vidic conceded a first-half penalty but goalkeeper Samir Handanovic saved Andrea Cossu's effort.

Sampdoria moved up to third place in Serie A with a hard-fought 1-0 derby win over Genoa at the Stadio Luigi Ferraris.

In a repeat scoreline of their last meeting in February, Sampdoria emerged victorious courtesy of Manolo Gabbiadini's 75th-minute free-kick.

After coming close in the first half, Gabbiadini made the breakthrough 15 minutes from time, with his set-piece effort going clean through a crowded area and into the net.

The away win preserved Sampdoria's unbeaten start to the season after five matches, four points adrift of leading duo Juventus and Roma.

Genoa, meanwhile, have only won one of their past five fixtures this term.

Jose Callejon scored the only goal of the game as Napoli eased the pressure on coach Rafael Benitez at Sassuolo.

Callejon's 28th-minute strike handed Napoli a 1-0 win - ending the club's run of three games without a victory.

Napoli's triumph sent Sassuolo to the foot of the table.

10-man Milan earned a share of the spoils at Cesena after defender Adil Rami cancelled out Davide Succi's first-half opener.

Despite playing the final 17 minutes with a man less following Cristian Zapata's dismissal, Milan held on for back-to-back draws.

Torino and Fiorentina also played out a 1-1 draw.

Fabio Quagliarella delighted the Stadio Olimpico crowd with a 62nd-minute opener but Fiorentina hit back through Khouma Babacar 16 minutes later.

Chievo and Empoli also shared the spoils via the same scoreline.