• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Goh Choon Phong - The man who is destroying SIA

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
It's a practice to reassure the scholars that they will not be abandoned so do not spill your guts. The Perm. Sec who was sacked from MTI over the official secrets act, served his exile in HK with a private company owned by an Indonesian Chinese close to the government. He then returned and given a place in a GLC but it was a minor role.

Another thing that is common is the repeated appeals to PSC when their promotions do not come thru.

I also felt that the early retirement make things worse. These guys now plan for their next career when they are in their late 30s and the focus is lost. The package also makes it attractive. They spend their time networking.

Take the case of SMRT. When Desmond went in, he brought along the SAF. One of the non SAF person brought in was a PR lady from a PR firm. She resigned quite dramatically less than a year. Her post went to a SAF guy who was brought in to look at security after the ang mo vandalism case. So the entire slate except for one went to the SAF. It reflects poorly on him.

Is it written somewhere in their terms of employment that those who "fail miserably" will be given alternative employment somewhere else in the PAP empire?

For ordinary Singaporeans, failing miserably usually means getting fired.

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Fernandes once recounted when he approached Singapore in his early years they dissed him off. He can do a better job with SQ than Goh anytime.

This they will try not to admit...when Fernadez AIR ASIA budget airline too off....they are playing catch up...how many good opportunities have they dissed??

Spock

Alfrescian
Loyal
the entire singapore organistion and doctrine is based around making money,what misplaced passion are u talking about?PAP has only one passion.... how can i make more money and how do i make it fast?it doesnt matter how....HDB is a for profit organisation,LTA is a for profit organisation,NLB is a for profit organisation,NEA is a profit based organistion,NTUC is a for profit organisation,MOM is a profit oriented organisation....if PAP could make more money charging you for the air you breathe they would.....ffs even during the haze of 2013 they were charging their own citizens $10 for facemasks.

Not true, there was a great passion to chart our own destiny from the days after WW2 to probably around the late 70s or early 80s.

Satyr

Alfrescian
Loyal
Not true, there was a great passion to chart our own destiny from the days after WW2 to probably around the late 70s or early 80s.

Those who remember those days will tell you this is true. The culture of greed and winner takes all mentality came in the 90s. Singapore became progressively more genteel on the outside but a lot uglier on the inside.

Black Swan

Alfrescian
Loyal
I think the 2 real SIA destroyers are Chew Choon Seng and Bey Soo Khiang.

Goh Choon Phong just inherited the shitty job. He has to reverse the highly unprofitable äll business class flight to LA started by Chew.

dr.wailing

Alfrescian
Loyal
....Take the case of SMRT. When Desmond went in, he brought along the SAF. One of the non SAF person brought in was a PR lady from a PR firm. She resigned quite dramatically less than a year. Her post went to a SAF guy who was brought in to look at security after the ang mo vandalism case. So the entire slate except for one went to the SAF. It reflects poorly on him.

Monkey see, Monkey do.

Desmond was only copying and aping what his political masters at the apex of power do.

winnipegjets

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Singapore Inc is run either by a scholar or ex military gen. No wonder the whole country is going into a tailspin!!

They are $68-million men ...as long as they are in the good books of the PAP, they will sail through life being rich. So, how many of these $68-million men care to do more? Kiasi and kiasu are traits of sinkees and the scholars exemplify the typical sinkee.

Satyr

Alfrescian
Loyal

Goh Choon Phong just inherited the shitty job. He has to reverse the highly unprofitable äll business class flight to LA started by Chew.

You're probably right. I dont think a man in his position can turn down the job if offered to him. his future in the company is a goner. what did BSK do by the way ?

singveld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
can't blame him, if our society is designed to play it safe. people make decision by the rules and laws of the land.

winnipegjets

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
You're probably right. I dont think a man in his position can turn down the job if offered to him. his future in the company is a goner. what did BSK do by the way ?

Scholars are just dogs ...they do as they are told ....the rewards for their compliance is that they will garner millions year after year and into their old age and till the last day on earth.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
I actually have a lot of time for Chew. He is one of the rare few who is highly literate and highly numerate. He is also humble, down to earth yet carries himself well.

This is a story that will make every Singaporeans proud. When new airports are built, the CEO of airlines that use the airport are invited for the opening ceremony. Though it was a minor state capital airport yet he flew in the night before and flew out a few hours after the opening. Even the CEO of that country's national airline did not turn. His philosophy is that if they looked after us, we look after them. He impressed helluva a lot of people.

It was Dr Cheong after JYM's departure that screwed things up. He bought into NZ Air, Virgin Atlantic etc and nothing worked and all sold at a loss. He was the original exponent of buy high and sell low. And probably taught Ho Ching. The incident with the napkin and Branson is now banished to the cellars.

zeebjii

Alfrescian
Loyal
I actually have a lot of time for Chew. He is one of the rare few who is highly literate and highly numerate. He is also humble, down to earth yet carries himself well.

I dont get it. Being highly literate, numerate, humble, down to earth, carreis himself well...make a good CEO?

winnipegjets

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

That was LKY's ego trip. He wanted to be the leader of Malaysia but couldn't. So, he settled for sinkapore. Shed crocodile tears on TV, sold this notion to sinkees that they have to work triple hard and make sacrifices since sinkapore has nothing to fall back on.

LKY knew that sinkapore surviving was going to be super tough but went ahead nonetheless because he just want to be in charge. So, sinkapore made it through third world and second world. Are we in the first world? Per capita income yes because of the influx of millionaires from elsewhere. Look at the median income; we are definitely not first world.

We are faced with all these challenges that the overpaid PAP government can't fix, thanks to LKY. Damn him.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
When the terms` highly literate and highly numerate is used to together it carries a different meaning when used separately. Highly intelligent and able to visualise outcomes quickly on the first pass. When he took over, he began to unravel all the previous bad deals, joint ventures and code sharing partnerships.

When he left SIA, he left it as the 2nd largest carrier by market value. Thats has go to be a first rate CEO by any measure. His 7 years was known for the recession, the SARs, highest fuel prices etc, more than anyone's share of choppy waters which managed to navigate.

He was also notorious for ignoring the politicians and hopeless scholars in the civil. It does explain why the establishment never spoke about him.

I dont get it. Being highly literate, numerate, humble, down to earth, carreis himself well...make a good CEO?

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Agree with you. I think it lasted until 1990. Until then you do ask help from foreigners for BAU stuff. Every contract that the Govrnment signed to purchase equipment or services from other 1st world countries required explicit knowledge transfer. It was a standard mandatory clause. Usually it will state that 2 engineers will be trained for at least 3 to 6 months in that country. We not only sent engineers but also technical officers and technicians. So many of our technicians were trained in Japan and Germany.

Not anymore. Straight away hit foreigners. No pride.