• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Why gahment like to destroy things? If it ain't broke, don't meddle!

enterprise2

Alfrescian
Loyal
Was passing by my old haunt, the East Coast McDonald area now all boarded up... for over 2 years now!! It used to be a thriving joyous place for joggers and beach lovers to rest and relax. Now it's a dead area. I am reminded of what they did to my other favourite place, the Upper Thomson hawker centre which they tore down and replace it with a bare patch of grass .. for almost 10 years now!! Fcuk man! The East Coast McDonald has to move to the UMDC seafood restaurant area and after that has to close due to poor biz!! Everything the gahment touches, it destroys!!

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Sometime I wonder what these guys in Min of National Development actually do. I remember they leased this huge patch to some company at East Coast. The company did nothing and one day turned it into a huge fishing pond. Quite lively and at least something was being done. It took them 2 years to realise that they had no licence to turn it into a fishing pond and took it back. WTF, took them that long to figure that one one.

Was passing by my old haunt, the East Coast McDonald area now all boarded up... for over 2 years now!! It used to be a thriving joyous place for joggers and beach lovers to rest and relax. Now it's a dead area. I am reminded of what they did to my other favourite place, the Upper Thomson hawker centre which they tore down and replace it with a bare patch of grass .. for almost 10 years now!! Fcuk man! The East Coast McDonald has to move to the UMDC seafood restaurant area and after that has to close due to poor biz!! Everything the gahment touches, it destroys!!

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

You mean, Lake View Shopping centre? that included the wet market, the food centre? that I miss...it is still an empty patch of land with grass...if you go there, the overhead bridge is till there, that once bring you over to Block 5....memories!:p

UltimaOnline

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Was passing by my old haunt, the East Coast McDonald area now all boarded up... for over 2 years now!! It used to be a thriving joyous place for joggers and beach lovers to rest and relax. Now it's a dead area.The East Coast McDonald has to move to the UMDC seafood restaurant area and after that has to close due to poor biz!! Everything the gahment touches, it destroys!!

Harlor harlor. Lots of memories in the old East Coast Macs. Used to go there almost everyday (bowling alley, 2 different arcades, JKDon, Macs, Turkish Kebabs, CNai HK café, Subway, Gelare waffles, etc) for so many years. Then when they shut the entire area down, and what was supposed to take just a couple of years to refurbish the area (NParks seized the land back from New Creation Church or City Harvest Church, can't remember which Church leased the entire land, collecting rent from Macs and all the other eateries there), delayed until a decade later today, all these buildings haven't even tear down yet! KNN! Must wait for another decade izzit!

enterprise2

Alfrescian
Loyal
You mean, Lake View Shopping centre? that included the wet market, the food centre? that I miss...it is still an empty patch of land with grass...if you go there, the overhead bridge is till there, that once bring you over to Block 5....memories!:p

Yes Lakeview. So long ago I even forgot the name!

HTOLAS

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
They lay waste to our memories and leave the land empty so that we and / or our memories die before they build on it again. That way, they are free to write on what they believe to be a blank canvas.

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Yes Lakeview. So long ago I even forgot the name!

It is not that long ago....15-20 years, another part of that place has gone down the 'memory lane, remember Tat Lee Bank next to Lakeview Shopping Centre, next to it was A&W 24 Restaurant? then it became OCBC Bank & then LONG HOUSE, food centre? now that is gone to, for development, the only thing left standing that hark back to a time long ago..is the petrol station (Shell), at the entrance to Taman Permata.

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Reverse Midas touch of the PAP govt. :wink:

Yeah, the East Coast McDonalds was a fun place to be, I'm sure a lot of us had wonderful memories there. The last time I was there was in 2010.

I think they're redeveloping that place... into god knows what, I don't want to know. :rolleyes:

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
They lay waste to our memories and leave the land empty so that we and / or our memories die before they build on it again. That way, they are free to write on what they believe to be a blank canvas.

Or it could be greed, a land grab by the SLA and then selling it to developers.

chootchiew

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

This is another form of money laundering !

enterprise2

Alfrescian
Loyal
Well they took huge chunks of Sentosa away from us. Now it's a playground for the rich and famous. Now whatever little greenery we have left r being bulldozed to make way for the 6.9m. They tell us now to retire in JB and do our golfing elsewhere!! Now our neighbours r rubbing their hands in glee, figuring how much to charge us for driving in...WTF!!

Dragonhead

Alfrescian
Loyal
The old national library building and the old CPIB building at Stamford Rd had been demolished which held memories and nostalgia for many sinkies who frequented the area. These old buildings should have been preserved. The old CPIB building was used by the Jap secret police after they invaded the island.

Now the area is just a concrete jungle with the roads twisting here and there. Those city planners are clearly newly imported shitizens and being foreigners, they have no feeling for certain buildings in the island. So, they demolished them. What harm done if these old buildings were preserved?

Dragonhead

Alfrescian
Loyal
BUT they want to open the leg big big for foreign workers to come in to make sinkeeland into a sardine-packed island.

Look at London. The Brits preserved their old buildings like treasures. The papees only know how to destroy beautiful old buildings without considering their historical significance.

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
now the old queenstown become a big ta ji playground for the queen

I think that area is gonna be turned upside down.

HDB announces Dawson estate renewal
http://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/singapore/hdb-announces-dawson/1213792.html

31 blocks at Tanglin Halt Road, Commonwealth Drive to be redeveloped under SERS. "With every new HDB town becoming more modern, there is a need to ensure that older towns do not end up too far behind," says minister Khaw Boon Wan.

SINGAPORE: A total of 31 residential HDB blocks at Tanglin Halt Road and Commonwealth Drive will be redeveloped under the Selective En Bloc Redevelopment Scheme (SERS), together with Commonwealth Drive Food Centre, Tanglin Halt Market and about 50 shops and four eating houses in seven shophouse blocks in the Dawson estate, HDB announced on Friday (June 27).

HDB will build five new housing projects on Margaret Drive, Dawson Road and Strathmore Avenue to re-house residents from these blocks, which will be ready by 2020.

The transformation of Dawson estate is part of the Remaking Our Heartland initiative first announced by Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong at the 2007 National Day Rally. The initiative has been rolled out in Yishun, Punggol, Jurong Lake, East Coast and Hougang.

The residential blocks going en bloc are 24-38, 40-45 Tanglin Halt Road and 55, 56, 58-60, 62-66 on Commonwealth Drive, consisting of 2, 3 and 4-room apartments - 3,480 flats in total. This is the largest SERS project to be announced since the Hillview Avenue site in 1999.

Shops and eating houses at Blocks 46-1, 46-2, 46-3 Commonwealth Drive and Blocks 39, 47-49 Tanglin Halt Road will be cleared as part of the redevelopment of Dawson estate. There will be a new two-storey hawker centre on Margaret Drive, and a new neighbourhood centre will be built as well.

The former wet market at 38 Commonwealth Avenue has been conserved and will be refurbished to house shops.

Residents and shop tenants will be informed by HDB and National Environment Agency officers going door-to-door in the estate on Friday and Saturday.

A good 70 per cent of residents in Tanglin Halt are elderly, and some like Mdm Soh expressed concern over the redevelopment plans. "So sorry to move! Hopefully, by that time we are not around already," she said.

Others said having to move would not be an issue "Doesn't matter. It's better. The morning sun here is very hot," said Mdm Mulyana.

"THE NEXT ICONIC ESTATE"

Minister for National Development Khaw Boon Wan, writing on his blog, said Dawson is "fast becoming the next iconic housing estate".

Two Build-To-Order (BTO) projects, SkyVille@Dawson and SkyTerrace@Dawson, featuring concepts like sky gardens and landscape terraces, will be completed next year, he noted, while residents of the new projects announced on Friday "will get a new modern flat with a fresh 99-year lease, with greenery at their doorstep, and panoramic views of the city and surrounding areas".

"With every new HDB town becoming more modern and better designed, there is a need to ensure that the older towns do not end up too far behind," he said. Queenstown was the HDB's first satellite town, with many of the flats there more than 50 years old, he added.

- CNA/es

syed putra

Alfrescian
Loyal
Well they took huge chunks of Sentosa away from us. Now it's a playground for the rich and famous. Now whatever little greenery we have left r being bulldozed to make way for the 6.9m. They tell us now to retire in JB and do our golfing elsewhere!! Now our neighbours r rubbing their hands in glee, figuring how much to charge us for driving in...WTF!!

If Johore under previous menteri besar, he would veto any foreign vehicle charges. This new chap is a nit wit. gave away state land to johore sultan who sold it for billions.

bakkuttay

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
if pinky see others (other than cronies) make money and cannot get a good share, they will seek to destroy.