• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Do Paywalls work?

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
http://wikipedia.org/wiki/Paywall

Do paywalls work or do they wean people from a routine to read news on a daily basis. I get the impression that people are beginning to realise that they do not need to read the news on a daily basis. They catch it when something pops up or if a need arises.

Did SPH score own goal ? My sense is that they did. Theirs was more hard paywall with silly teasers.

GOD IS MY DOG

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
http://wikipedia.org/wiki/Paywall

Do paywalls work or do they wean people from a routine to read news on a daily basis. I get the impression that people are beginning to realise that they do not need to read the news on a daily basis. They catch it when something pops up or if a need arises.

Did SPH score own goal ? My sense is that they did. Theirs was more hard paywall with silly teasers.

paywall...................???........................m&d lan ah ..............???

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
It depends upon whether there are free alternatives.

If there are then subscription rates will be very low. If the content is exclusive, more people will be willing to sign up.

mojito

Alfrescian
Loyal
Paywalls certainly works for the Economist because it made me subscribe to their digital edition. I highly value its excellent writing, refreshing perspectives and reasoned opinions about current events.

The Straits Times is similar and paywalls should work no differently.

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Paywalls certainly works for the Economist because it made me subscribe to their digital edition. I highly value its excellent writing, refreshing perspectives and reasoned opinions about current events.

The Straits Times is similar and paywalls should work no differently.

I won't pay good money for anything that is PAP-laced....buying Straits Times, print edition is bad enough.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Agree on high IP content but wonder if news which is perishable and generally available can work in a paywall environment.

kingrant

Alfrescian
Loyal
If alternate sites exist for the same news e.g. MH17, who wants to pay SPH to read second hand news if you can read first hand from AP or Reuters. Op-ed pieces in the Economist for example are worth paying for, since no same content can be found elsewhere. Of course there are exceptions - e.g. Sumiko Tan's crappy Sunday cums - even where there are no alternate places for them, they are silly to waste time on.