• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Gay Couples In The Bible, David And Jonathan

drifteri

Alfrescian
Loyal
Why did God focus on
their intimate partnership?

David and Jonathan - a true love story.

Did God bless David and Jonathan, a same sex couple in romantic, committed, sexual partnership? The Bible devotes more chapters to their love story than any other human love story in the Bible. What does God intend us to learn from that dramatic emphasis?

Scripture speaks in glowing terms of Jonathan and David’s loving intimacy, exchanging clothing, embracing, weeping together, hugging and kissing each other.

Jonathan loved David and so they consistently make time alone together and when alone, affirm their love for each other. Each time they reaffirm their covenant, love for each other is the justification given in scripture. Jonathan goes against his father, his family, his opportunity to be Israel’s King, in favor of supporting David.

Jonathan and David's intimate friendshipis clear in the Bible

If Jonathan and David did enjoy a romantic sexual relationship, the Old Testament book of 1 Samuel presents interesting challenges and immense opportunities for twenty-first century Christians.

Is it possible that God so carefully preserved the David and Jonathan story in scripture to encourage the church to welcome saved gays and lesbians as equal members in the body of Christ? I believe this was precisely God's purpose.

drifteri

Alfrescian
Loyal
<center>[h=3]In The Love Story Of David And Jonathan, The Holy Spirit Presents Intentional Contrasts[/h]</center>
The Holy Spirit contrasts the love story of these young warriors with the stormy relationship between Michal and David. Because they formed an opposite sex marriage partnership, when we read that Michal, Saul’s daughter, loved David, I Samuel 18:20, readers assume their relationship was romantic and sexual, 18:27. Yet there is nothing in scripture to indicate David loved Michal and nothing is said about them having children.

<tbody>
</tbody>

Jonathan and David
  1. The Holy Spirit reminds us three times, of David’s excitement at officially becoming the King’s son in law, 18:18, 23, 26, but says nothing about David’s excitement at marrying Michal.
  2. The Holy Spirit spends more time describing the love relationship between David and Jonathan than He spends describing David and Michal’s heterosexual marriage. Another contrast. David is never said to love Michal but scripture tells us repeatedly of David and Jonathan's amazing mutual love.
    David and Michal's was an arranged marriage while David and Jonathan's relationship clearly involved the heart.
  3. Our introduction to Jonathan and David informs us that “the soul of Jonathan was knit with the soul of David, and he loved him as his own soul,” 18:1. If that was said of a man and a woman, no one would doubt a romantic and possibly a sexual partnership. Yet when that is said of a man and a man, many Christians feel free to insist that it could not possibly describe a romantic, committed, sexual partnership.
  4. Nongay scholars assert that a sexual relationship between these two men was impossible because Leviticus 18:22 and 20:13 prohibited homosexual practice in Israel. Our Leviticus chapter carefully points out that the Holiness Code prohibited worship of the Canaanite fertility goddess but Did Not prohibit loving, same sex relationships, which are within the Biblical moral framework - faithful, committed, non-cultic.
    Although both men later married wives, it is helpful to remember that this relationship between Jonathan and David began before either man married a woman.
    Given the cultural setting of ancient Israel, with Philistine overlords who regarded homosexual relationships between warriors as normal, it does not strain credulity or the scriptures, to believe such a relationship existed between Jonathan and David.
  5. Jonathan’s love for David is contrasted with Saul’s hatred of David. We are told that the Spirit of the Lord came on David, I Samuel 16:13, and departed from Saul, I Samuel 16:14. King Saul seems to wander in and out of lucidity, his mind and character destroyed by selfwill. Saul is consistent in one goal. He wants to kill David and destroy his relationship with Crown Prince Jonathan.
First, Saul plays matchmaker between David and Princess Michal, knowing that the temperamental Princess will be a snare to David if they marry, I Samuel 18:21.

Second, Saul orders David into battle, hoping the Philistines will kill him, I Samuel 18:25.

Third, Saul sends assassins to David’s home to kill him, I Samuel 19:11.

Fourth, Saul personally tries to kill both Jonathan and David with his javelin, I Samuel 20:33 and 19:10.

<center>[h=3]Clearly, God the Holy Spirit, as the ultimate author of scripture, intends us to contrast Saul’s hatred of David with Jonathan’s incredible love for David. :wink:[/h]</center>

drifteri

Alfrescian
Loyal
Gay Couple in the Bible David and Jona :wink:

9780758607232.jpg

stock-illustration-12792877-victorian-bible-illustration-david-and-jonathan.jpg