• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

║ La Liga Season 2014-15 ║

AtleticoMadrid

Alfrescian
Loyal

inKRC9G.jpg

AtleticoMadrid

Alfrescian
Loyal

Real Madrid and Barcelona world's two richest sports franchises

Forbes magazine names four soccer clubs in top 10 wealthiest, but the rest are from Major League Baseball and NFL

PUBLISHED : Thursday, 17 July, 2014, 10:41pm
UPDATED : Thursday, 17 July, 2014, 10:41pm

Agence France-Presse in New York

ronaldo.jpg

Cristiano Ronaldo is a star player for Real Madrid, which Forbes magazine has named the richest sports franchise in the world. Photo: EPA

Spain may have been embarrassingly dethroned as World Cup soccer holders, but Real Madrid and Barcelona are still champions at making money after they were named as the world's two richest sports franchises.

For the second year in a row, Forbes business magazine tagged European champions Real Madrid, where Cristiano Ronaldo plays, as the No 1 sports team with a US$3.44 billion value.

Barcelona, the home of Lionel Messi, Neymar and now the notorious Luis Suarez, are second in the chart with a current value of US$3.2 billion, while English giants Manchester United are ranked at three at US$2.81 billion despite their miserable past season.

The only other football club in the top 10 are German champions Bayern Munich whose current value of US$1.85 billion is good enough for seventh spot.

The rest of the top 10 is from Major League Baseball and the National Football League.

The New York Yankees are No 4, valued at US$2.5 billion with the Dallas Cowboys, worth US$2.3 billion, holding fifth place.

With 30 teams in the top 50, for the second consecutive year, the NFL occupies 60 per cent of this year's list. The full list also includes six teams from MLB and four from the NBA.

AtleticoMadrid

Alfrescian
Loyal

World Cup winner Toni Kroos joins Real Madrid

PUBLISHED : Thursday, 17 July, 2014, 10:45pm
UPDATED : Thursday, 17 July, 2014, 10:45pm

Agence France-Presse in Madrid

fbl-wc-2014-match64-ger-arg_fk3618.jpg

Toni Kroos in action for Germany during their 1-0 win over Argentina to win the World Cup in Brazil. Photo: AFP

Toni Kroos on Thursday became Real Madrid’s first high-profile signing for the new season, moving from Bayern Munich on a six-year deal just days after winning the World Cup with Germany.

The 24-year-old playmaker had an outstanding World Cup, scoring two goals in two minutes in the 7-1 semi-final rout of Brazil, en route to overcoming Argentina 1-0 in Sunday’s final.

Spanish media said Real and Bayern agreed on a deal worth between 25 million and 30 million euros (HK$262 million and HK$314 million). The two clubs said the transfer fee would remain secret.

His arrival could hasten the departure of fellow German Sami Khedira who risks losing his midfield place.

Real hailed their latest catch as “one of the most important players of the moment”.

A Real statement described Kroos as “a playmaker capable of finding the best option in any situation, with a vision of the game enabling him to help his teammates, as well as an impressive kick”.

Kroos, whose contract with Bayern expired next season, sided with Real over alternatives such as Manchester United or Chelsea.

“We thank Toni Kross for his time at Munich,” said Bayern chief executive Karl-Heinz Rummenigge. “We have experienced great successes with him.”

Kroos arrives at the Santiago Bernabeu with 11 trophies already on his cv, the World Cup the jewel in a collection including the last year Champions League, Bundesliga titles and the Club World Cup.

It is the second high-profile World Cup player to move to La Liga this month, following Luis Suarez’s reported 95 million euro transfer from Liverpool to Real’s arch rivals Barcelona.

AtleticoMadrid

Alfrescian
Loyal

Kroos & Perez set sights on Champions League No.11

436135_heroa.jpg

By Alberto Pinero
Jul 17, 2014 17:31:00

The club chief believes that the Blancos have signed the star player of the World Cup and the midfielder hopes he can help the team win back-to-back European titles

Real Madrid president Florentino Perez and brand new signing Toni Kroos expressed their desire to help the club towards European title No.11 this season at the midfielder's unveiling on Thursday.

The 24-year-old starred at the World Cup for triumphant Germany and was subsequently linked with a move away from Bayern Munich to the Santiago Bernabeu, where the Champions League trophy currently resides after May's Decima triumph.

On Thursday, Kroos' transfer was rubber-stamped and club chief Perez stressed he would be welcomed into the Blancos set-up and suggested the "most complete player at the World Cup" can help bring further silverware - both continental and domestic - to Real Madrid.

"[Recently departed Madrid legend] Alfredo Di Stefano would have been excited about Toni Kroos," he told reporters. "In Brazil, he was the most complete player of the tournament.

"His excellent performance in recent weeks were not a surprise for us, but just a confirmation that we chose the right man. He had a spectacular World Cup.

"Kroos is a young winner with an impressive record. He came from a friend of the club who are also a champion. Bayern imprint a special character on to those who wear their jersey. But this is your home now, Toni. This is your family.

"Now it is you who must give your best. Here the word 'impossible' does not exist. I want to thank you for choosing our club among the many alternatives you had.

"Two months ago we were celebrating our 10th Champions League, but Real Madrid always want more. Many, if not all, of us are already dreaming of the 11th Champions League now. I expect you to fulfil big dreams here. "

Luckily for Madrid, Kroos also shares a burning desire for further Champions League glory - he won the European trophy in 2012-13 - and believes he has made the right decision to part ways with Pep Guardiola and Co. at the Allianz Arena.

"First of all, I want to express my deep sorrow for the loss of Di Stefano," he said. "I know how much he meant for Real Madrid.

"I am incredibly proud to be here. I cannot imagine anything more beautiful that being here, with the Real Madrid fans. I want to thank the club for giving me the opportunity to come to play here, at the biggest club in the world.

"Thanks also to Bayern, who have given me the opportunity to take this step I wanted. It was the correct one. I'm proud. I know that Real Madrid have to win titles, but I already know what that pressure is like.

"In 2012-13 I won the Champions League with Bayern, in 2013-14 it was won by Real Madrid, and I hope that we can win again this year. I'll give everything for Real Madrid. Hala Madrid!"

AtleticoMadrid

Alfrescian
Loyal

Real Madrid ready to cash in on Isco to fund James move

388082_heroa.jpg

Jul 18, 2014 13:33:00

The promising Spaniard could be sold as Carlo Ancelotti's side are looking to make room for the Colombia international, with Liverpool keen to lure him to England

EXCLUSIVE
By Jorge Martin

Real Madrid are ready to cash in on Isco this summer as they are looking to generate funds for Monaco star James Rodriguez, with Liverpool sitting in pole position to sign the former Malaga star.

The Liga giants are close to an agreement with the Ligue 1 side for the Colombia international and Isco could be sacrificed as Carlo Ancelotti aims to trim his bulging squad ahead of the 2014-15 campaign.

Monaco had informed Madrid that it would take a mega €90 million bid to land James - a figure that president Florentino Perez would be willing to pay as he looks to land his marquee Galactico signing.

With Toni Kroos having already arrived from Bayern Munich, Madrid are keen to offload some fringe players first, though.

Sami Khedira and Angel Di Maria have both been heavily linked with a move away from the Santiago Bernabeu side, but Madrid are keen to hold on to the Germany international - irrespective of interest from Arsenal and Chelsea - while they are only willing to let go of Di Maria if an offer in the region of €60 million comes in.

436406_heroa.jpg

Isco is therefore the most likely of Madrid's talented set of midfielders to be moved on and Liverpool and Manchester City, who have a long-standing interest in the Spaniard, are closely monitoring the situation.

Manuel Pellegrini's side would be more interested in a loan deal, however, leaving Liverpool in pole position for the gifted midfielder, who only joined Madrid from Malaga last year.

The former Malaga star, who can operate in any position behind the central striker, is not keen on a bit-part role behind the likes of Cristiano Ronaldo, Gareth Bale and James and could be attracted by the prospect of becoming Liverpool's main man following the departure of Suarez.

The 22-year-old has a contract with Madrid until June 2018.

AtleticoMadrid

Alfrescian
Loyal

Xabi Alonso suspended for European Super Cup

396899_heroa.jpg

By Stefan Coerts
Jul 18, 2014 08:06:00

The influential midfielder will miss the game versus Sevilla after he was handed a one-game ban, while Atletico Madrid coach Diego Simeone was also punished

Real Madrid will have to make do without the services of Xabi Alonso in the European Super Cup clash with Sevilla on August 12 in Cardiff due to suspension.

The Spain international has been handed a one-match ban by Uefa's disciplinary committee for invading the pitch during their 4-1 Champions League final win over Atletico Madrid last season.

Alonso was forced to watch the game against Atletico from the stands due to another suspension after picking up a yellow card in the semi-final clash with Bayern Munich.

He ran onto the pitch, however, after Gareth Bale netted the 2-1 in extra-time and has now been punished for improper conduct.

Meanwhile, Atletico Madrid coach Diego Simeone has also been handed a one-game touchline ban after he was sent off by referee Bjorn Kuipers in the closing stages of the match.

Simeone ran onto the pitch after Cristiano Ronaldo struck the fourth from the spot and was then involved in a heated exchange with Real defender Raphael Varane.

Additionally, both clubs have also been fined for improper conduct of their players - due to picking up five or more yellow cards in the match - and of their fans for setting off fireworks.

Atletico must pay Uefa €21.000 while Real have been hit with an €18.000 fine.

AtleticoMadrid

Alfrescian
Loyal

Suarez needs a psychiatrist, not Fifa sanctions - Uruguay president

431704_heroa.jpg

By Andrew Wychrij
Jul 20, 2014 08:03:00

The South American nation's head of state, Jose Mujica, has hit out at the extent of the striker's ban from footballing activity and claims he needs "a helping hand"

Uruguay president Jose Mujica has slammed Fifa for their treatment of Luis Suarez, claiming he needs help from a psychiatrist rather than a ban from football.

Suarez received a nine-game international suspension and a four-month ban from all football-related activity - along with a fine - after being found guilty of biting Italy's Giorgio Chiellini in Uruguay's 1-0 win on June 24 in the group stages of the World Cup.

President Mujica was scathing in his assessment of Fifa in the immediate aftermath of the punishment, calling football administrators "a bunch of old sons of b******," and has now added that the new Barcelona signing would be far better off with psychiatric help, rather than a widespread ban.

"He comes from a poor background and his main intelligence is in his feet," the Uruguayan leader said in an interview with Brazilian newspaper Folha de Sao Paulo.
"It's better to take him to hospital and once there, see a psychiatrist.

"I'm not disputing the sporting sanctions, they're fine. What I'm disputing is that there are certain things that shouldn't have anything to do with the ban.

"The fact he can't go on any football pitch, that he can't be with any of his team-mates in the national team, he can't go to a football stadium or even support a charity event linked with football.
"It's crazy! Not even a government can prohibit someone from entering a football stadium, without the signature of a judge. Then Fifa come along and say he can't do that for four months… without even a legal tribunal."

Mujica, once dubbed 'the world's poorest president' due to his austere lifestyle, added that Fifa has displayed an old-fashioned attitude over the course of the affair as the world waits to see Suarez play for Barcelona following his €88 million move from Liverpool.

"I believe Fifa have a mentality of old people," the 79-year-old added.

"They want to appear as though they're learning from their mistakes, but never do. The only thing they generate is hatred and resentment. What this lad needs is someone to give him a helping hand.

"Now we'll get to see [Suarez] playing alongside Neymar and [Lionel] Messi. We don't know when that will be, though."

AtleticoMadrid

Alfrescian
Loyal

Luis Enrique: Far too early to judge Barcelona

418161_heroa.jpg

By Miles Chambers
Jul 19, 2014 22:55:00

The Camp Nou coach was hesitant to draw conclusions from his team's 1-0 and briefly discussed Ibrahim Afellay amid rumours regarding a departure for the forward this summer

Luis Enrique insists that his Barcelona team cannot be judged after one pre-season game following their 1-0 win over Recreativo Huelva.

The 44-year-old, who took over from Gerardo Martino after the end of last season, took charge of his first match as Camp Nou coach on Saturday and a rebound effort from Joan Roman was enough to give them a slender victory.

"All of Barcelona's B team and the first team were taking the game seriously," Luis Enrique told the club's official website afterwards. "No conclusions can be drawn, however, as it's far too soon.

"The players will be evaluated for their performances in the minutes they played, but they should not be singled out [for praise or criticism] as that would be wrong at this stage. What interested me was the physical aspect.

"This is a good result to start pre-season with."

Ibrahim Afellay, 28, has been heavily linked with a move away from Catalunya and, after he put in a decent performance in the Colombino trophy friendly clash, Luis Enrique conceded that the Dutch winger is in a unique position due to transfer talk.

"His situation is different from the rest of my squad," he added. "I like that he can get involved in several positions. He may yet fall within our plans or he may go. He is a player liked by the staff ."

Barcelona are next in action against Nice on August 2 ahead of the start of La Liga's new season on the weekend of August 23.

AtleticoMadrid

Alfrescian
Loyal

'Mourinho did not divide Real Madrid'

235523_heroa.jpg

By Miles Chambers
Jul 20, 2014 15:28:00

The club's assistant during his time at the Santiago Bernabeu, Aitor Karanka, has slammed suggestions that the Portuguese was loathed within the dressing room

Former Real Madrid assistant Aitor Karanka has insisted that Jose Mourinho did not divide the team towards the end of his spell in Spain.

The Portuguese spent three years with the Blancos before leaving for Chelsea last summer and, though parts of his time in charge were victorious, rumours were rife towards the end of his time in La Liga that the dressing room was split.

His treatment of Iker Casillas was reported to have gone done poorly among some members of the Madrid squad, exacerbated when he refused to drop Diego Lopez after the club captain returned from injury.

Karanka, who was Mourinho's deputy at the Santiago Bernabeu, played down suggestions that Mourinho dividing his dressing room and insisted the decision to ditch Casillas was thought long and hard about.

"No, I don't think Mourinho divided Madrid," he told Marca. "What he did was try to do the best thing at any given time.

"Everyone talks, for example, about the thing with Iker Casillas. Dropping him wasn't a decision that was taken overnight. We took our time and decided that it was the best thing for the team at that moment.

"I felt mistreated by the press during my time at Madrid. I'd been a footballer for 15 years and I'd been criticised, I'd been praised... However, a lot of the time with Madrid they weren't criticisms, but a lack of respect."

When asked if he felt betrayed by some members of the Madrid squad for the way they turned on Mourinho and him, Karanka stressed that the backlash from players was much smaller than many people have assumed.

"I've been a player and you often realise that you have a longer contract than the manager, that you're going to stay, and you can change your mind," he continued. "But there were also a lot less players than people might think who kicked off.

"You can see it whenever Mourinho plays against a player who we had at Real Madrid. Some people talked about Ozil being against him but, when Ozil played against him, he gave him his shirt.

"The majority of players speak well of Jose in interviews. Some claimed it was almost as if we couldn't go into the dressing room. Another of the many lies."

Karanka left the Spanish capital club at the same time as Mourinho and currently manages English second division club Middlesbrough.

AtleticoMadrid

Alfrescian
Loyal

Official: Real Madrid sign James Rodriguez

428550_heroa.jpg

Jul 22, 2014 13:01:00

The Champions League winners have secured the services of the Colombia international on a six-year deal, ending speculation that has been bubbling since the World Cup

Real Madrid have announced on their official website that they have completed the transfer of James Rodriguez from Monaco for a reputed fee of €80 million.

The Liga giants had been linked with a move for the creative midfielder ever since he impressed at the World Cup and the Colombian has now signed a contract until the summer of 2020 with the Santiago Bernabeu club after passing his medical.

James started his professional career with Envigado and also wore the Banfield and Porto jerseys before joining Monaco for €45m last year.

He impressed in his first season at the Ligue 1 side, scoring nine goals in 34 league appearances to help Monaco to second place in the table and qualification for the Champions League.

The attacking midfielder was also one of the stars of the 2014 World Cup as he picked up the Golden Boot and the Goal of the Tournament award following his sublime performances for Colombia, earning himself a move to Madrid in the process.

James is the Bernabeu side's second signing of the summer transfer window after the previous capture of Toni Kroos from Bayern Munich and will be presented to the world at 20:00CET on Tuesday.

Reconocimiento médico de James Rodríguez http://t.co/4sEwd1pjFO #BienvenidoJames #halamadrid pic.twitter.com/ehSRIZ2Tya
— Real Madrid C. F. (@realmadrid) July 22, 2014

The arrival of the Colombia star likely means the end of Isco's spell at Madrid, with Liverpool and Manchester City keeping a close eye on his situation in the Spanish capital.

AtleticoMadrid

Alfrescian
Loyal

Clasico showdowns in October and March - 2014-15 La Liga fixtures announced

333159_heroa.jpg

By Vaishali Bhardwaj
Jul 24, 2014 12:22:00

Real Madrid will host Barcelona on October 26 before the Camp Nou return on March 22, while champions Atletico Madrid kick off the season against Rayo Vallecano

Barcelona and Real Madrid will meet in La Liga's latest Clasico clashes in October and March after the 2014-15 Spanish top-flight fixtures were announced on Thursday.

The Spanish Football Association (RFEF) confirmed that the first of the highly-anticipated clashes will see Real host the Catalan giants on October 26 at Santiago Bernabeu before the reverse fixture at Camp Nou on March 22, 2015.

The dates of the fixtures mean new Barcelona signing Luis Suarez could be eligible to play his first Clasico in the capital in October - irrespective of his four-month ban being reduced - given that his sanction is due to end on the day of Madrid's visit, while the likes of World Cup-winner Toni Kroos and Colombia star James Rodriguez can also prepare for their first-ever appearances in the fixture.

However, before that, both teams will kick off their respective league campaigns at home, with Barcelona taking on Elche while Madrid play Cordoba on the weekend of August 23-24.

Defending league champions Atletico Madrid, meanwhile, will hope to get their season off to a good start when they travel to city rivals Rayo Vallecano on the first matchday of the new campaign.

Matchday one of the 2014-15 season in Spain will also see Sevilla hosting Valencia, Levante taking on Villarreal and Malaga playing Athletic Bilbao at La Rosaleda.

AtleticoMadrid

Alfrescian
Loyal

Atletico extend Nike deal until 2026

438368_heroa.jpg

By Alec Fenn
Jul 26, 2014 18:54:00

The La Liga champions enjoyed an incredible 2013/14 season and have taken another positive step off the pitch

Atletico Madrid have extended their deal with Nike until 2026, the American sports brand have confirmed.

Last season Atleti, under the guidance of coach Diego Simeone, won their first La Liga title since 1996 and reached the final of the Champions League.

Their return to the pinnacle of club football has raised the profile of the Madrid outfit considerably and they have now taken another positive step in the right direction off the pitch.

Nike, who first collaborated with Atletico back in 2001, have sealed an agreement that will take their partnership up to the 25-year mark.

Miguel Angel Gil Marin, president of the Spanish club, revealed his delight at the deal: "Having Nike, a selective, demanding, world leader in the sport, working with us is definitely a very important thing for us.

"Continuity of this agreement means that they believe in us and our project."

AtleticoMadrid

Alfrescian
Loyal

Sunday July 27 2014

Nuno wary over Valencia progress

By Football Espana staff

valencia-lima490ai.jpg

New Valencia Coach Nuno has warned against expecting too much despite praising the team’s pre-season so far.

Los Che are on tour in South America and drew with Alianza Lima, losing on penalties, in their most recent match.

Speaking after the match, Nuno said he is pleased with how things are going but doesn’t want anyone getting ahead of themselves.

“We lacked combinations on the wings and didn’t take the game inside,” Super Deporte reports Nuno as saying.

“The feeling I have is good. I liked some things and was upset by others. The process of growth is continuous.

“The feeling is good but Valencia have a long way to go. We’re going to progressively make build the team.”

AtleticoMadrid

Alfrescian
Loyal

Kroos & James make Madrid stronger, insists Carvajal

437667_heroa.jpg

By Stefan Coerts
Jul 28, 2014 14:00:00

The defender is confident the club's new signings will make an immediate impact and is ready to battle with Alvaro Arbeloa for a starting berth

Dani Carvajal feels Real Madrid have only become stronger following the signing of Toni Kroos from Bayern Munich and James Rodriguez from Monaco.

The Santiago Bernabeu side spent €25 million to lure the Germany international to La Liga while splashing out €80m on the Colombia star, with both players earning 16th and 6th place respectively in the 2013-14 Goal 50 list for their impressive form over the past year.

Despite the significant competition for places within Carlo Ancelotti's squad, Carvajal is confident both will make an immediate impact in the Spanish capital.

"James is going to bring a lot to the team and will make us players and the club even better," the defender said at a press conference.

"As a team-mate I wish him all the best and I'm certain he'll do well.

"Kroos is a fantastic player. I had to deal with playing against him in the Bundesliga and I faced him this year in the Champions League semi-finals.

"He will bring a lot to the centre of midfield."

Carvajal went on to stress he is happy to fight it out with Alvaro Arbeloa for the position of right-back after head coach Carlo Ancelotti rotated the two in 2013-14.

"The rotation system was good for both of us and the team last season," he added.

"We will be fighting to get as much playing time as possible because playing for a team as important as Real Madrid is a big deal."

AtleticoMadrid

Alfrescian
Loyal

Messi still under investigation for tax fraud

435095_heroa.jpg

By Ben Hayward
Jul 28, 2014 15:30:00

The Argentine and his father have paid around €5 million to authorities in Spain, but a judge revealed on Monday that the charges haven't been dropped and that the case continues

Barcelona forward Lionel Messi is still under investigation for tax fraud, a judge in Catalunya revealed on Monday.

The Argentine has already appeared in court to answer claims of alleged tax evasion to the tune of €4.1 million between 2006 and 2009 and has long declared his innocence.

Nevertheless, the player and his father Jorge Messi paid just over €5m to authorities last year and it had looked as if the case would be closed.

But the judge in Gava, a seaside town just outside Barcelona where Messi owns a property, has decided to proceed with the case against the four-time Ballon d'Or winner and his father.

Messi has claimed he left all his business interests to his father and his management team. "Lionel A. Messi was not involved in the decision-making on the management and channelling of his income and did not really know the scope, size, purpose or effects of the corporate network," said a statement for the prosecution earlier this year.

But a new written statement by the judge said on Monday that "there is sufficient evidence" that Messi "could have known about and consented to the creation and maintaining of a fictitious financial structure".

The judge also added that because the player's signature is on all of the documents being investigated, the 26-year-old "could have warned about the intervention of others in these cases or read some of these contracts, even if it was only the headers".

It is alleged that Messi's image rights were sold by Jorge - who assumed full responsibility when the case began - using companies in countries like Belize and Uruguay to avoid Spanish tax obligations.

AtleticoMadrid

Alfrescian
Loyal

Man United outcast Hernandez could join Atletico Madrid, says Simeone

436794_heroa.jpg

By Sacha Pisani
Jul 30, 2014 10:03:00

The Argentine has admitted his admiration for the Mexico international, whose future at Old Trafford remains unclear, with Louis van Gaal reluctant to be drawn on the issue

Diego Simeone believes Manchester United striker Javier Hernandez represents a "great option" for Atletico Madrid as they look to bolster their attack ahead of the new season.

Hernandez moved to Old Trafford in the summer of 2010 but has failed to establish himself as anything more than an impact substitute, starting just six Premier League games last season.

Former United captain Nemanja Vidic this week urged his new club Inter to make a move for the Mexican frontman, though Atletico are also hoping to fill the attacking void left by the departures of Diego Costa and David Villa.

And while Simeone - who currently has Mario Mandzukic as the only recognised striker in his squad - would not confirm he will make a move for the 26-year-old, he refused to rule it out.

"We speak to the sporting directors, we gave them the ideas on the type of players we want and then they get the players," the Argentine told reporters.

"With Javier Hernandez and plenty of other great players, anything is possible. We can't close the door to anyone until the transfer window closes.

"He is a vertical player, great in one on one situations, he's a great option for any team."

New United boss Louis van Gaal gave Hernandez a 13-minute cameo in Wednesday's International Champions Cup penalty win over Inter, but could not provide any guarantees over the player's future.

"That I cannot answer," the Dutchman insisted after the match. "He is a player of Manchester United at this moment."

The striker himself was similarly unwilling to discuss the issue. “I don’t know what’s going to happen, only God knows,” he told reporters. “I just have to keep working.”

AtleticoMadrid

Alfrescian
Loyal

La Liga wants 500 best players in the world, says Tebas

438677_heroa.jpg

Jul 30, 2014 14:21:00

The Spanish football supremo has outlined his ambition to attract the game's greatest players to the country and rival the Premier League's commercial revenue

Primera Division president Javier Tebas wants the top 500 players in world football to ply their trade in Spain's top flight.

The likes of James Rodriguez, Toni Kroos and Luis Suarez will all play in La Liga this season following big-money transfers to Real Madrid and Barcelona respectively.

Gareth Bale turned his back on the Premier League to join Madrid last year, while his team-mate Cristiano Ronaldo also left England to try his luck in Spain and Tebas is determined to ensure the competition continues to attract the leading footballers on the planet.

"We are not going to stop. We want the best 500 players," Tebas told reporters.

"We want to make sure we have the biggest clubs and also the best players from the whole world in our league."

Tebas also signalled his intention to try and bridge the gap between revenue earned by clubs in England and those in Spain, while also ensuring La Liga is more accessible for fans across the globe.

"It is impossible to compare us with the Premier League from a commercial perspective. What we are trying to do is get closer to them.

"We have been in Asia but right now our aim is to bring more teams from La Liga to this part of the world. We are working on this, it's a long-term project and is why we are here in the United States.

"There is a lot of support out here for Real Madrid and Barcelona. Our goal is to bring more teams here from La Liga so the football supporters in the United States can get used to them as well."

AtleticoMadrid

Alfrescian
Loyal

Malaga complete Ochoa deal

440706_heroa.jpg

By Alec Fenn
Aug 1, 2014 17:16:00

The Mexico goalkeeper was one of the surprise packages of the World Cup and has at last found a new club after his contract with Ajaccio expired at the end of last season

Malaga have completed the signing of Mexico goalkeeper Guillermo Ochoa on a three-year contract.

The 29-year-old was a free agent after his deal with French side Ajaccio expired at the end of last season, but his performances for Mexico at the World Cup ensured he wasn't short of offers this summer.

Ochoa had been linked with moves to AC Milan and Liverpool but has instead opted for a fresh start in La Liga.

"Malaga Club de Futbol has reached an agreement to sign one of the best goalkeepers from the recent World Cup in Brazil, Guillermo Ochoa," read a statement on the club's official website.

"He will wear the Blue and Whites' shirt for the next three seasons. Ochoa has successfully passed the routine medical checks."

Ochoa began his career with America in his homeland and made over 300 appearances during his stay at the club.

A move to Ajaccio ensued in July 2011 and he played over 100 league and cup games in France.

Malaga were in the market for a new keeper after Willy Caballero opted to join Premier League champions Manchester City.

AtleticoMadrid

Alfrescian
Loyal

Busquets inherits Puyol's No.5 shirt

440647_heroa.jpg

By Enis Koylu
Aug 1, 2014 11:45:00

The Barcelona midfielder will wear his old captain's jersey next season at the request of the 36-year-old retired centre-back

Sergio Busquets will wear the No.5 jersey left by departed Barcelona skipper Carles Puyol next season - at the request of the former centre-back.

The veteran Spaniard ended his playing career to take on a backroom role with the Catalan club this summer, leaving his shirt number vacant after he first took it over from Abelardo in 2002.

The 36-year-old, who captained the club to three Champions League titles amongst numerous other trophies, personally requested that Busquets inherited his squad number.

Busquets, who came through the ranks at Camp Nou and has worn No.16 for almost all of his first-team career with the club, voiced his pride at following in the footstepts of Puyol.

"It's an honour to be able to wear the No.5 jersey and that Carles Puyol thought of me to inherit it," he told the club's official site.

Puyol himself later tweeted his confidence that Busquets was the right man to take on the number.

"I've not doubt the No.5 shirt is in the best hands," he said. "I'm sure he will look after it."