• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

║ La Liga Season 2014-15 ║

Jorge

Alfrescian
Loyal

Simeone: Winning Atleti lost control against Villarreal

699372_heroa.jpg

Dec 14, 2014 22:30:00

The Argentine trainer believes it was his side's overwhelming desire to win that ultimately cost them as Luciano Vietto ended their 27-game unbeaten home run

Aletico Madrid coach Diego Simeone concedes his side’s desire to beat Villarreal on Sunday resulted in them losing control of the match.

With six minutes remaining in Sunday's La Liga clash, Luciano Vietto beat Diego Godin and slotted a calm finish beyond Miguel Angel Moya as Villarreal triumphed 1-0.

It was Atletico's first home league defeat since May 2013, ending an unbeaten sequence of 27 games.

"I think we lost the control of the game making some mistakes during the last 20 minutes just thinking about the victory,” said Simeone.

"To be honest, they made a really good counter-attack to get the goal, a nice goal from a team which worked really well.

"So, we just say congratulations to them and we have to be ready for Thursday [against L'Hospitalet in the Copa del Rey]."

Vietto, meanwhile, remains full of praise for the man who handed him his professional debut when the two were at Racing Club in Argentina.

"I am grateful to 'Cholo' for trusting me at that time," he said. "Now, I find myself at Villarreal and he at Atletico Madrid.

"Simeone will know to understand it. He trusted me. The debut as a professional is the most important and I will be thankful for the rest of my life."

Modric

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Herrera denies involvement in match-fixing

16 December 2014

758667header.jpg

Ander Herrera has denied being involved in match-fixing after the Manchester United man was named in a Spanish corruption investigation.

The 25-year-old was one of 41 players and coaches named in connection with a case relating to a clash between Levante and Real Zaragoza at the end of La Liga's 2010-11 season.

It is alleged that Levante players were paid to lose the match, which Zaragoza - featuring Herrera - won 2-1.

Herrera, along with Swansea City's Jefferson Montero - who was in the Levante side - have been named, and the United man took to his official Facebook account to protest his innocence.

"I have never had and will never have anything to do with manipulating match results," he said.

"If I am ever called to testify in any judicial hearing, I'll be happy to attend, as my conscience is clear.

"I love football and I believe in fair play, both on and off the pitch."

Modric

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Neymar out of Huesca clash

15 December 2014

758200header.jpg

Neymar has been ruled out of Barcelona's Copa del Rey last-32 second leg against Huesca on Tuesday.

The Brazilian forward missed Saturday's 0-0 La Liga draw with Getafe with an ankle problem, and that will keep him sidelined for Barca's midweek game at Camp Nou.

Neymar was one of many first-team stars rested for the first leg, which Barca won 4-0, and it is unlikely he would have featured against Segunda B outfit Huesca even had he been fit.

Barca coach Luis Enrique confirmed the news in a press conference on Monday, and also reacted to the UEFA Champions League last-16 draw, which pitted Barca against Manchester City for the second year in succession.

"They [City] are a hard and tough opponent," he said.

"From now until February a lot can happen. But it will be a balanced game.

"The key when you face this kind of match is that we are well. If we have a good tone it is easier to face any competition.

"I always think positively, and I think only of overcoming that tie against Manchester City."

When asked whether Sergio Aguero's recent form for City has placed him alongside his compatriot and friend Lionel Messi in the pantheon of modern greats, Luis Enrique was unequivocal in his answer.

"The number one and the best is Leo Messi and everyone else is behind," he added.

Modric

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Rodriguez and Khedira to miss Cruz Azul clash

15 December 2014

758204header.jpg

James Rodriguez and Sami Khedira are not fit to face Cruz Azul on Tuesday, but both could play if Real Madrid make the Club World Cup final.

The pair have been absent with respective knee and head injuries, and Real head coach Carlo Ancelotti confirmed the pair are not ready to return for the semi-final clash with the Mexican side in Marrakech.

However, Ancelotti was more optimistic that forward Rodriguez and midfielder Khedira will be fit for Real's next match - which could be Saturday's final.

"James and Khedira will not be available for the game tomorrow," the Italian said.

"But they definitely will be for the next game."

Ancelotti brought great success to the Santiago Bernabeu in his first season in charge by clinching a Copa del Rey and UEFA Champions League double.

And he is now urging Real, who are on a 20-match winning run, to finish 2015 in style by adding another trophy to their collection.

"Every team here is a champion, so for us to win this competition would make it unforgettable," Ancelotti added.

"Cruz Azul have quality, they have players with experience. I think it will be an intense game, they play good football."

Ancelotti also insisted there was no problem with centre-back Sergio Ramos amid rumours of a delay in contract talks.

"The club wants to renew Ramos' contract," he continued. "Ramos wants to stay so there's no problem."

Modric

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

La Liga Preview: Barca host Cordoba, Atletico travel to Bilbao

17 December 2014

759044header.jpg

Barcelona can enter the New Year just one point behind Real Madrid, if they can surpass Cordoba in La Liga on Saturday.

Luis Enrique's men could not break down Getafe in a 0-0 stalemate last time out in the top flight but can put the pressure back on Carlo Ancelotti's leaders - given the latter's league duties are complete for 2014, due to Club World Cup commitments.

Barca were also buoyed by an 8-1 Copa del Rey victory over Huesca on Tuesday, with Pedro on target with a hat-trick in the 12-1 aggregate triumph.

The meeting will be the sides' first in La Liga, with Barca winning their Copa del Rey tie in 2012-13 7-0 on aggregate - including a 5-0 win at Camp Nou.

Third-placed Atletico Madrid are also looking to bounce back from a last-start league slip-up in their calendar year finale.

Diego Simeone's men lost at home to in-form Villarreal, and are again on the road at the San Mames to face Athletic Bilbao.

Valencia and Villarreal have the chance to finish the year in fourth, given Sevilla's clash with Real was postponed.

Nuno Espirito Santo's men are on the road at Eibar, who held Sevilla last time out, while Villarreal can make it five straight wins to enter 2015 in a flurry if they surpass lowly Deportivo La Coruna at home.

Malaga could also potentially sneak into fourth with a big win over cellar-dwellers Elche and mistakes from Valencia and Villarreal.

Granada are winless in 11 in the league, ahead of their hosting of Getafe.

Levante and Real Sociedad, level on 14 points, do battle, while another pair that sit close in the table - Rayo Vallecano and Espanyol - are up against one another, the teams all square on 17 points.

On Friday, two teams wildly out of form go head-to-head - with Celta de Vigo, on a four-match losing streak, hosting second-bottom Almeria, on a run of three outs.

Almeria will play under new coach Juan Ignacio Martinez for the first time, after the recent sacking of Francisco.

Modric

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Uche signs Villarreal extension

18 December 2014

759721header.jpg

Nigeria striker Ikechukwu Uche has signed a two-year contract extension with Villarreal to keep him at the La Liga side until 2017.

Uche's deal at El Madrigal had been due to expire at the end of the current campaign, but the former Getafe and Real Zaragoza forward has now committed his future to the Castellon club.

The 30-year-old has scored 14 league goals for Villarreal in each of the last two seasons.

His goalscoring form helped the team to promotion in 2013 and an impressive seventh-placed finish last term.

Uche has managed five goals in all competitions in the current campaign, while Villarreal are unbeaten in nine matches and sit sixth.

Marcelino's men face Deportivo La Coruna on Sunday.

Modric

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Suarez: I'm not obsessed with scoring

745412_heroa.jpg

By Enis Koylu
Dec 20, 2014 18:01:00

The €94m summer signing insists that he is happy merely to help the team but admitted that he was glad to have finally broken his Liga duck in Saturday's 5-0 win over Cordoba

Barcelona star Luis Suarez has insisted that his sole focus is the team's fortunes, not his goal tally for the season.

The Uruguayan scored his first Liga goal for his new side as they beat Cordoba 5-0 at Camp Nou on Saturday in his eighth Primera Division appearance.

The €94 million summer signing had previously netted twice in the Champions League but has stressed that he does not pay too much attention to statistics.

"I kissed my fingers for my wife and my two children who were at home," Suarez said of his goal celebration to reporters after the match.

"The draw against Getafe annoyed us. We should be fighting for the title. Scoring is always important but with everyone's support, we knew that the joy was coming.

"I am a striker and I have to score goals but I'm helping the team win. So I'm not obsessed with it. The team winning is most important and that's been achieved.

"You win by creating clear chances. On a personal level, I was hurt but I am also very happy to have come here and signed for Barca. We have to reverse the situation."

Barca now sit just one point behind Real Madrid but have played a game more than their arch rivals.

Modric

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Saturday December 20 2014

Real Madrid win Club World Cup

By Football Espana staff

madrid-cwcfinal-group490ai.jpg

Real Madrid have lifted the 2014 FIFA Club World Cup thanks to 2-0 victory over San Lorenzo in Saturday's final.

Los Blancos steamrolled Cruz Azul in the last four to reach the Marrakech spectacle, but Carlo Ancelotti made just the one change from the team which served him so well on Tuesday in the form of James Rodriguez, who shook off a hamstring injury.

The Copa Libertadores champions, meanwhile, needed extra time to dispatch Auckland City, and they remained unchanged from their semi-final affair with the New Zealanders on Wednesday.

The match had been overshadowed by reports Cristiano Ronaldo was unhappy with his failure to score against the Mexicans - a claim denied by his Coach - and that San Lorenzo requested a neutral referee to take charge of proceedings. Portuguese official Pedro Proenca was believed to have been assigned the fixture initially, but he has been pipped to the chase by Guatemalan Walter Lopez.

Madrid predictably dominated the first half, but none of the BBC - Gareth Bale, Karim Benzema and Cristiano Ronaldo - could find a way to goal, leaving Ramos with the task of heading the side ahead thanks to another trademark delivery from Toni Kroos.

Ronaldo then saw an effort on the edge of the interval strike the hand of Walter Kannemann, which was subsequently waved away by Lopez, but not before Marcelo was forced to make way for Fabio Coentrao with a suspected injury.

Nonetheless, the restart presented Madrid with the all-important clincher as Bale squirmed a close-range effort through Sebastian Torrico and into the net, although it could have been short-lived, had Enzo Kalinski's shot stayed a fraction down.

The Champions League holders continued to threaten, with an awful backpass from Emmanuel Mas latched onto by Benzema, who smashed an attempt from 25 yards out on the half-volley just over the crossbar.

Bale then curled a floated effort at the stanchion, despite intending to pick out Ronaldo with a cross.

The latter stages allowed San Lorenzo to pepper the Madrid goal with some snapshots, Kalinski with the best of the bunch as he forced Iker Casillas into action from distance. Juan Buffarini then whizzed a low strike inches wide of the Spaniard's net.

Ronaldo was presented with a great chance to break his duck in the tournament at the death, but his straight header was only good enough for the palms of a grateful Torrico.

Real Madrid 2-0 San Lorenzo

Ramos 37, Bale 51

Real Madrid: Casillas; Carvajal (Arbeloa 73), Pepe, Ramos (Varane 89), Marcelo (Coentrao 44); Kroos, Isco, James; Bale, Benzema, Ronaldo

San Lorenzo: Torrico; Buffarini, Yepes (Cetto 61), Kannemann, Mas; Mercier, Origoza, Kalinski; Barrientos; Veron (Romagnoli 57), Cauteruccio (Matos 68)

Ref: Walter Lopez [GUA]

Jorge

Alfrescian
Loyal

Saturday December 20 2014

Simeone puts faith in Saul

By Football Espana staff

saul-usa490ai_0.jpg

Diego Simeone has backed Saul Niguez to stake his claim in the Atletico Madrid first team by handing him another opportunity against Athletic Bilbao on Sunday.

The 20-year-old has enjoyed a breakthrough season at Vicente Calderon this term, scoring two goals in 15 appearances for the Spanish champions, and the Coach is prepared to aid the midfielder's development with more top-level experience.

"Yes, we're sure we can overcome Athletic, but it's not so easy," he told reporters at a Press conference, ahead of a game that sees Mario Mandzukic out through suspension.

"[Antoine] Griezmann can play as a centre forward in a 4-4-2 thanks to his place, or the wings with Raul Jimenez in a 4-3-3.

"We'll see how we start the game and consequently we'll be able to change things.

"It is very difficult to give the lads they minutes they want. Saul, again, happens to come from the bench to start.

"It's happened to him several times this season and this is another opportunity. It's an important game. He played against Juventus and will play in Bilbao.

"I think this whole experience for such a young guy is great. I believe that his traits make him more apt to start [against Athletic].

"If we start with Jimenez, we wouldn't have any alternatives to bring on later in the game. You have to consider the entire 90 minutes."

Modric

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Bojan senior slams Barcelona

21 December 2014

761227header.jpg

Bojan Krkic was not "welcomed" by everyone at Barcelona, according to the Stoke City striker's father.

Bojan, tipped as the next Lionel Messi during his time at Camp Nou, left the Spanish giants in the summer following loan spells at Roma and Ajax.

He has settled in well at Stoke since his move to the Premier League club in the off-season, much to the delight of Bojan Krkic senior.

Recalling Bojan's time at Barca, he told the Mail on Sunday: "They were international stars. They saw a little boy starting games.

"Sometimes, Ronaldinho was on the bench and Bojan starts. You can imagine, eh? Not easy. It became very difficult. He wasn't welcomed in by everyone.

"[Pep] Guardiola didn't give him continuity. In the Copa del Rey, Bojan was the top goalscorer for Pep.

"In La Liga, he could score one or two goals, but then not play again for weeks. It is very curious.

"In the title run-in in 2010, he kept [Zlatan] Ibrahimovic on the bench. Bojan played, scoring at Sevilla and Tenerife, and they were decisive goals. Then, when the season ended, they signed David Villa."

Such frustrations are a far cry from Bojan's current situation, as the 24-year-old has produced an impressive displays for Mark Hughes' men.

Bojan Sr. added: "At Stoke, he is playing like an animal. He saves his best for the big games.

"He loves Mark Hughes and his training sessions are creative. He is playing behind the forward and he has the freedom to express himself but he is fighting for the team, too.

"He chases everything, he works for the team. Against Arsenal, he ran and ran.

"My boy has suffered a lot in football. Too much. But it is a very long time since I have seen Bojan this happy. He is truly content at Stoke and, as a father, that's a warm feeling."

Modric

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

La Liga Review: Griezmann the man for Atleti, Villarreal gain fifth straight win

21 December 2014

761551header.jpg

Antoine Griezmann's first Atletico Madrid hat-trick helped Diego Simeone's men come from behind to see off Athletic Bilbao 4-1 in La Liga on Sunday.

The Spanish champions were lacklustre for long spells of the first half at San Mames and fell behind to a Mikel Rico header after 17 minutes.

However, Simeone saw his side turn in a much improved display after the break as former Real Sociedad man Griezmann levelled within a minute of the second half.

Raul Garcia's penalty gave the visitors the lead before Griezmann continued his impressive record against his former club's rivals by registering a hat-trick to keep Atletico on the tails of Barcelona and Real Madrid going into the mid-season break.

Atletico sit four points behind leaders Real, who have a game in hand.

Earlier, Villarreal continued their fine form with a comfortable 3-0 win over Deportivo La Coruna - despite seeing Pina sent off 10 minutes from time.

Marcelino's side have now won their past five league matches in a row and have not conceded in La Liga since November 23.

Jonathan dos Santos got the hosts off to a strong start at the Madrigal 10 minutes in before Luciano Vietto struck twice in the space of six second-half minutes.

Pina's late red mattered little as Deportivo remain winless on the road in the league since mid-September.

Granada were on course to end 2014 out of the relegation spots but were held to a 1-1 draw by Getafe - Emiliano Velazquez equalising 12 minutes from the end.

Joaquin Caparros' side slipped to 18th after Almeria's 1-0 win over Celta Vigo on Friday but would have moved out of the bottom three again had Jhon Cordoba's opener proven a winner.

However, Velazquez had other ideas - with fellow strugglers Elche also staying in the drop zone following a 2-1 defeat to Malaga.

The league's bottom side were on course to join Almeria, Depor and Granada on 13 points when David Lomban opened the scoring on the stroke of half-time at the Estadio Manuel Martinez Valero.

Ignacio Camacho struck early in the second half before Luis Alberto completed the turnaround for Malaga who move to 30 points - a club-record haul at this stage of a La Liga season.

Jorge

Alfrescian
Loyal

Lafita set for six-month lay-off with ligament injury

22 December 2014

761954header.jpg

Angel Lafita is set to miss the remainder of Getafe's La Liga campaign after suffering a torn cruciate ligament.

The 30-year-old forward was withdrawn early in the second half of Sunday's 1-1 draw with Granada at the Estadio Nuevo Los Carmenes after twisting his right knee in an awkward fall.

Tests on Monday revealed that the former Real Zaragoza and Deportivo La Coruna man had torn his anterior cruciate ligament and would be out for between five and six months.

Lafita has played in all but one of his side's La Liga outings this term, helping Getafe to the relative comfort of mid-table.

However, with question marks over the future of coach Cosmin Contra as well as midfielders Mehdi Lacen and Michel, the injury serves as another headache for the club during the mid-season break.

The trio are reportedly set to leave the club in January for Chinese Super League side Guangzhou R and F, although Contra recently explained nothing had been signed to complete the deal.

Modric

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Atletico president not ruling out Torres return

23 December 2014

762279header.jpg

Atletico Madrid president Enrique Cerezo has not ruled out a move for Fernando Torres, but insisted that a deal has not been agreed.

Former Atletico captain Torres has failed to make an impact at Milan following a loan move from Chelsea and the Serie A club are reportedly keen to cancel his contract.

Torres was a huge fans' favourite at boyhood club Atleti before joining Liverpool back in 2007 and is still held in high regard at Vicente Calderon.

Cerezo on Tuesday dismissed talk that Torres' return to the Spanish champions is a done deal, but the Atletico supremo hinted that the 30-year-old could be on his way back to the capital.

He told TVE: "There is no Torres deal, but that doesn't mean that it’s not going to happen.

"We have a great team with all positions well covered. Until, the transfer window is closed there is always the possibility of bring a player in.

"We're going to do our best in competing for all three trophies this season."

Torres has scored only one Serie A goal in 10 appearances for Milan.

Jorge

Alfrescian
Loyal

Barca want Neymar until 2020, says agent

24 December 2014

762575header.jpg

Barcelona want to extend Neymar's contract at the club until 2020, according to the player's agent.

The Brazilian moved to Camp Nou from Santos in 2013, in a transfer which proved to be controversial.

Neymar's switch saw Barca accused of tax fraud, with former president Sandro Rosell resigning from his post, although both he and the club deny any wrongdoing.

The 22-year-old's current deal is set to expire in 2018, but his representative, Wagner Ribeiro, has claimed the club want to tie the player down for a further two years.

"Of course Barcelona want to renew his contract. Until 2020? Yes," he said.

Speaking at the launch of a project designed to help the disadvantaged in Brazil, Neymar said: "I'm happy in Barcelona. I have a contract there and there's still a lot left for me to do."

Jorge

Alfrescian
Loyal

Real Madrid & Juventus do battle for top award

614751_heroa.jpg

Dec 28, 2014 07:42:00

The European giants have been nominated for the Club of the Year prize at the annual Globe Soccer Awards in Dubai along with Bayern Munich, Ajax and Basel

Real Madrid and Juventus are among the five European clubs on the shortlist for the prestigious Club of the Year award at the Globe Soccer Awards in Dubai.

The European champions, who secured La Decima in May, will be in Dubai to play AC Milan in a friendly on December 30 and Carlo Ancelotti and his key players are expected to attend the ceremony the day before at the luxurious Atlantis, The Palm resort.

Real Madrid and Italian champions Juventus are joined on the shortlist by Bayern Munich, Ajax and Basel.

Other categories in the annual awards - organised by Globe Soccer in conjunction with the ECA, the European Club Association, and the EFAA, the European Football Agents' Association - include Agent of the Year and Referee of the Year.

The nominations for Agent of the Year 2014 are Volker Struth, Pere Guardiola, Jorge Mendes and Giovanni Branchini.

The Referee of the Year 2014 shortlist includes Nicola Rizzoli (Italy), Bjorn Kuipers (Netherlands), Alireza Faghani (Iran), Yuicihi Nishimura (Japan), Janny Sikazwe (Zambia) and Bakary Papa Gassama (Gambia).

Completing the list are Abdelkader Zitouni, Norbert Hauata (both Tahiti), Wilmar Alexander Roldan (Colombia), Sandro Meira Ricci (Brazil), Roberto Garcia and Marco Antonio Rodriguez (both Mexico).

All the winners will be announced at a glittering ceremony attended by influential football figures such as Michel Platini and Fabio Capello at the culmination of the Globe Soccer Conference on December 29.

Modric

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Bale not for sale, insists Real president Perez

30 December 2014

764834header.jpg

​Real Madrid president Florentino Perez has insisted that Gareth Bale is not for sale and rubbished talk of a bid from Manchester United.

Bale, who joined Real from Tottenham for a world-record fee thought to be around £85million in September 2013, has been linked with a return to the Premier League.

United are said to be keen to lure the Wales international to Old Trafford, but Perez is adamant the 25-year-old will not be leaving the Santiago Bernabeu.

Perez told Marca: "We haven't received any offer for Gareth Bale, not from Manchester United or any other club.

"We'll never listen to any offer for Bale regardless of how important it is."

Bale has enjoyed great success since making the move to the Spanish capital, forming an intimidating attacking trio with Cristiano Ronaldo and Karim Benzema.

The former Southampton man was on target in extra time for Real as they came from behind to beat city rivals Atletico Madrid 4-1 in the UEFA Champions League final in May and win Europe's premier club competition for a 10th time.

Jorge

Alfrescian
Loyal

Torres begins Atletico training

31 December 2014

765337header.jpg

Fernando Torres has started training with Atletico Madrid after completing his 18-month loan switch from Milan.

The former Chelsea striker agreed a return to Vicente Calderon on Monday, just two days after completing a permanent switch to Milan.

Alessio Cerci is expected to head in the opposite direction imminently, but Torres joined his new team-mates for training on Wedesday.

The Spain international was not due to officially start work with the Spanish champions until January 5.

After beginning his professional career at Atleti, Torres scored 91 goals in 244 matches and was Atletico captain before joining Liverpool in 2008.

The 30-year-old continued to impress during his time at Anfield and found the net on 24 occasions in 33 Premier League outings during his first season.

However, Torres' career faltered following a then-British record £50million move to Chelsea in 2011.

A measly 20 goals from 110 league appearances saw Torres draw criticism in some quarters, although he did pick up winners' medals in the FA Cup, UEFA Champions League and UEFA Europa League during his time with the club.

The frontman was shipped out to Milan on a two-year loan deal at the beginning of the current season, but after one goal in 10 league appearances, the Serie A giants saw fit to sign the player and swiftly offload him to his former club.

Modric

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

La Liga Preview: Valencia aim to derail Real, Barca out to avoid another Sociedad slip-up

1 January 2015

765761header.jpg

Valencia will hope their superb home league form can help derail Real Madrid's record-breaking winning run at the Mestalla on Sunday.

La Liga leaders Real return to domestic action after the mid-season break looking to extend their superb stretch of 22 consecutive competitive victories - a Spanish record.

However, in Valencia - who this week announced the signing of Enzo Perez from Benfica - they meet a side with lofty ambitions of their own and Nuno Espirito Santo's men occupy the final UEFA Champions League berth in La Liga.

Moreover, only Barcelona have left Valencia with maximum points this term and goalkeeper Diego Alves is hoping that the atmosphere at the Mestalla can help halt Carlo Ancelotti's side in their tracks.

"It's a great game," he told Valencia's official website. "They are fighting for the league [but] on our own pitch we are very strong.

"The crowd is a plus and with them Valencia are much stronger."

Stopping Real's domestic dominance this term is becoming increasingly difficult, but Luis Enrique's Barcelona side remain in pole position to do so ahead of a trip to Real Sociedad.

The Catalans will need no reminding of the test that awaits them at Anoeta having lost last season's corresponding fixture 3-1.

Sociedad have also proved an increasingly difficult side to beat since David Moyes took the reins in November and the Scot will be desperate to claim a huge scalp and move up the Liga table.

Also on Sunday, Getafe and Espanyol have home matches with Rayo Vallecano and Eibar.

Champions Atletico Madrid, who are third, will kick off 2015 in La Liga in Saturday's early kick-off against Levante.

Diego Simeone's men have been boosted by the return of fans' favourite Fernando Torres on an 18-month loan from Milan, although the Spain international striker is ineligible until January 5 when the Italian transfer window opens.

At the other end of the table strugglers Cordoba and Granada, who sit in the relegation zone, meet at the Estadio Nuevo Arcangel on Monday.

Only Cordoba - who this week terminated the contract of striker Mike Havenaar - have won fewer matches than Granada's tally of two games.

But full-back Daniel Pinillos is confident of a morale boosting win.

"It's an important game," he said. "All matches are finals and the team is confident of getting the three points against Granada."

The likes of Deportivo La Coruna and Almeria could drop into the bottom three by the end of the round of fixtures, the former host Athletic Bilbao while the latter visit Malaga on Saturday.

Saturday also sees Sevilla host Celta Vigo, while fellow UEFA Champions League hopefuls Villarreal hit the road to play bottom club Elche.

Jorge

Alfrescian
Loyal

Cristoforo set for another lengthy lay-off

3 January 2015

766431header.jpg

Sevilla's Sebastian Cristoforo is set for another lengthy spell on the sidelines after having further surgery on his troublesome left knee.

The Uruguayan midfielder has made just two appearances since last March after he ruptured his anterior cruciate ligament in a 4-1 La Liga victory over Valladolid.

Cristoforo, who played in both legs of Sevilla's Copa del Rey victory over Sabadell, subsequently required further surgery on the issue.

Sevilla have confirmed that the procedure was a success, but the 20-year-old will miss between six and seven months of action.

"Sebastian Cristoforo was submitted to further surgery on his left knee in a satisfactory manner," read a statement on Sevilla's website.

"The operation consisted of replacing the lateral plasty and strengthening the knee.

"The intervention was successful and now the player will remain sidelined for a period of six to seven months before returning to the pitch."

Jorge

Alfrescian
Loyal

Valencia kit man suffers stroke at training

3 January 2015

766252header.jpg

Valencia's first team were given a shock on Friday when their kit man suffered a stroke on the pitch during training.

Vicente Navarro collapsed during Valencia's open training session at the Estadio de Mestalla to present new signing Enzo Perez to the club's fans and the 47-year-old was promptly taken to hospital.

Valencia confirmed on their website that Navarro, who is nicknamed 'Serreta', had suffered a stroke but had progressed "favourably" at the hospital Arnau de Vilanova.

"The kit man Vicente Navarro 'Serreta' has suffered [a stroke] during training on Friday whereby, after being treated with urgency on the same turf, has been taken to hospital Arnau de Vilanova, where he remains admitted to observation and the first hours has evolved favourably," the statement read.

According to reports, fans at one end of the stadium alerted Valencia's medical staff to the prone Navarro.

They treated Navarro, which ensured the kit man was conscious when he arrived at hospital.

Friday's training session marked the official return to action for Valencia ahead of La Liga's resumption on Saturday.

Valencia face leaders Real Madrid at the Mestalla on Sunday and Perez, who has joined Nuno's side from Benfica, was bullish about his new team's chances.

"I'd like to make my debut, of course. I'm ready to play," he said before the session began.

"It would be great to make my debut against Real Madrid. And if the goals come, even better. But the important thing isn't scoring, it's that the team wins."

When asked directly if Valencia could defeat Real, Perez said: "Of course. It’s 11 against 11."