• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

║ La Liga Season 2014-15 ║

Neymar

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Bale rubbishes United link, Ronaldo rift

28 January 2015

779370header.jpg

Real Madrid winger Gareth Bale has no plans to move to Manchester United and denied he is a "ball-hog".

Real Madrid's Gareth Bale denied allegations on Tuesday that he is considering a return to the Premier League with Manchester United.

Bale only moved to Real from Tottenham in September 2013 but, midway through his second La Liga campaign, the British media is widely convinced the Welsh winger is a major target of United manager Louis van Gaal.

But speaking on Spanish radio station Cadena SER, Bale refuted those rumours, indicating the opportunity to regularly win silverware makes him keen to see out his contract that runs until June 2019.

"For me, no," Bale said.

"I did an interview recently and I said I'm happy here, I've got several years left on my contract and I'm having a good time.

"We're winning trophies and I want to stay here."

Bale has won the UEFA Champions League, Club World Cup, Copa del Rey and UEFA Super Cup since signing Real - reportedly for a world-record fee of €94million.

That fee, plus claims in the Spanish media that Bale is a "ball-hog", has been the focus of a perceived rift between the 25-year-old and team-mate Cristiano Ronaldo.

Bale was criticised for shooting himself instead of passing to Ronaldo during Real's 2-1 loss at Valencia on January 4 and their 3-0 triumph over Espanyol six days later but the Welshman was unmoved.

"People [in the media] have their own opinions and that's how they make their living," he said.

"It's their work, they get paid to do it.

"I think that when I'm playing I set goals up and I score them too. I play football my way."

Bale added he has not discussed his on-field decision making with Ronaldo:

"No, we didn't speak about it afterwards. It happens all the time in football.

"It's something that just gets left on the pitch. Nobody talks about it afterwards."

The former Tottenham flyer has scored 14 goals in all competitions this season, while setting up another seven, with all but one finished off by Ronaldo.

Bale also denied claims he is struggling with his back or a hernia: "No, I don't have anything. It's not true."

MarceloVieira

Alfrescian
Loyal

Rodriguez grateful for ´fundamental´ Ronaldo support

28 January 2015

779407header.jpg

The firepower behind Real Madrid's surge to the top of La Liga, Cristiano Ronaldo has also been helping the likes of James Rodriguez settle.

James Rodriguez feels his strong start to life at Real Madrid is in no small part down to the support of team-mate and Ballon d'Or holder Cristiano Ronaldo.

The Colombian arrived at the Santiago Bernabeu in the close-season - having helped his burgeoning reputation with a strong showing at the World Cup - for a fee believed to be around the €80 million mark.

Rodriguez has since weighed in with 10 goals from 31 appearances in all competitions and praised Ronaldo for his assistance in easing the transition from Monaco to La Liga.

"His support has been fundamental," Rodriguez told Colombian station Caracol Radio.

"He's been a great help to me here and that's important. He's excellent, both on and off the pitch. A top guy, he's down to earth and his winning the Ballon d'Or was well deserved.

"I'm at the best team in the world and want to stay here for many years to come. I want to help the team to win titles.

"Of course I’d love to win [the UEFA Champions League] and I would love if it was this year too."

Rodriguez was also quizzed on whether he had won over coach Carlo Ancelotti following his big-money switch.

"He has a great way with the players and we're absolutely delighted with him," the former Porto man explained.

Mandzukic

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Ronaldo hit with two-match ban

28 January 2015

779591header.jpg

Cristiano Ronaldo's kick on Edimar in Real Madrid's La Liga clash with Cordoba has landed the Portugal international a two-match ban.

Real Madrid star Cristiano Ronaldo has received a two-match ban for kicking Cordoba's Edimar in last Saturday's La Liga clash.

FIFA Ballon d'Or winner Ronaldo lashed out at the defender in the closing stages after appearing to become frustrated by the close attention of the Brazilian.

La Liga leaders Real subsequently had to play out the remainder of the game with 10 men, but still managed to clinch a 2-1 win thanks to a late Gareth Bale penalty.

Ronaldo apologised for his indiscretion on Twitter In the aftermath of the game, while Edimar called for the Portugal international to be handed a "normal" suspension.

The two-match sanction means Ronaldo will miss matches with Real Sociedad and Sevilla, but he returns in time for the derby clash with Atletico Madrid at the Vicente Calderon on February 7.

Casillas

Alfrescian
Loyal

Mathieu reveals details of Luis Enrique-Messi bust-up

29 January 2015

780186header.jpg

Barcelona duo Lionel Messi and Luis Enrique were involved in a training ground argument earlier this month, according to Jeremy Mathieu.

Barcelona defender Jeremy Mathieu has revealed details of a training ground bust-up between Lionel Messi and coach Luis Enrique.

The duo have reportedly endured a difficult relationship since Luis Enrique returned to the club as coach for the 2014-15 season, although neither has commented publicly on the issue.

The argument between the two is said to have occurred when the players returned from their mid-season break, with Messi seeing red after being the victim of a heavy challenge in a training match.

However, Mathieu added that the issue was swiftly resolved, with the pair making peace later that day.

"It happened when we got back from our holidays," he told RMC. "Suddenly, Leo lost his temper after a foul that was not given in training. Things got tense and they exchanged some angry words.

"Luis Enrique then approached him in the dressing room afterwards to talk to him and that was the end of it.

"It happens at every club, but more is made of it because it is Barcelona. That's the problem."

Barca are one point behind Real Madrid at the top of La Liga, having played a game more.

Modric

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Wigan exodus continues as Ramos joins Levante

29 January 2015

780262header.jpg

Ivan Ramis has become the latest player to leave Championship strugglers Wigan Athletic, returning to his homeland to join Levante.

Ivan Ramis has swapped one relegation battle for another by joining Levante after his contract with Championship strugglers Wigan Athletic was cancelled by mutual consent.

Spanish defender Ramis was set to become a free agent at the end of the season and requested to cut short his spell at Wigan before the transfer window closes on Monday in order to return to his homeland.

The 30-year-old, who has signed a deal until the end of next season, is the fifth player to leave Wigan this week following the departures of Adam Forshaw, Shaun Maloney, Callum McManaman and Ben Watson.

Wigan boss Malky Mackay told the club's official website: "Ivan asked if there was a chance he could go back to Spain because he sees his life back there again.

"He's not playing at the moment and is out of contract in the summer and we felt that in both our interests, this was the best solution to go to Levante.

"The contract has been cancelled by mutual consent and I want to say good luck to him, he is a good professional and he goes with the warmest regards of everyone at Wigan Athletic."

Levante are second-bottom of La Liga following a run of eight games without a win.

Ochoa

Alfrescian
Loyal

Rayo Vallecano 1 Deportivo La Coruna 2: Borges debut double downs hosts

30 January 2015

781031header.jpg

Deportivo La Coruna moved five points clear of La Liga's drop zone after a Celso Borges-inspired 2-1 triumph over Rayo Vallecano on Friday.

A debut double from Costa Rica star Celso Borges earned Deportivo La Coruna a 2-1 win at Rayo Vallecano in La Liga on Friday.

Deportivo had previous only beaten Eibar away from home in the league this season, but Borges' 72nd-minute penalty ultimately proved decisive in an even encounter.

The 26-year-old, who impressed for his country at the 2014 FIFA World Cup, arrived on loan from Swedish side AIK Stockholm this month and made an instant impact after waiting over two weeks to make his first appearance.

Borges' first came in fortuitous circumstances, though, as goalkeeper Tono parried Ivan Cavaleiro's free-kick into his path to bundle in from close range.

Alberto Bueno equalised soon after in the 22nd minute, prodding home from eight yards after Alberto Lopo's headed clearance fell right at the feet of the Real Madrid youth product.

Borges clinched the win 18 minutes from time, however, stroking home a penalty after Abdoulaye Ba wrestled Sidnei to the ground at a corner, moving Deportivo to within two points of 10th-placed Rayo.

Barcelona

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Villarreal swoop for Bailly

29 January 2015

780423header.jpg

Eric Bailly will join up with Villarreal when he returns from the Africa Cup of Nations having completed a move from Espanyol.

Villarreal have completed the signing of centre-back Eric Bailly from La Liga rivals Espanyol in a €5.7million deal.

The Ivory Coast international has agreed a move to El Madrigal just a day after Gabriel Paulista left Villarreal to join Premier League side Arsenal.

The 20-year-old has signed a five-and-a-half-year deal with Marcelino's side and will link up with his new club when he returns from the Africa Cup of Nations.

A statement on Villarreal's official website said: "Villarreal and Espanyol have reached an agreement for the transfer of young central defender Eric Bailly, who will play with the Yellow Submarine for the next five and a half years."

Bailly has made just five appearances for Espanyol in La Liga this season, with his first start coming against his new employers back in November.

Mandzukic

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Marcelino hails Villarreal´s historic achievement

30 January 2015

780522header.jpg

Villarreal coach Marcelino Garcia Toral warned his team not to rest on their laurels after they made Copa del Rey history on Thursday.

Villarreal coach Marcelino Garcia Toral reminded his team they are "just two games away from the final" after they made history by reaching the Copa del Rey's final four for the first time.

Gerard Moreno's well-taken goal with 12 minutes remaining on Thursday wrapped up Villarreal's 2-0 quarter-final aggregate win, sending the Valencian club to the semi-finals of the Copa del Rey for the first time in their history.

Toral was thrilled with the achievement but reminded Villarreal that they should not be satisfied with a last-four berth.

"Our intention today was just to make sure we went through. We are in the unusual situation of being in the semi-finals for the first time in Villarreal's history and that makes us feel very proud," Toral said after the win over Getafe.

"I congratulate the players - now we are just two games away from the final. Next up we have a very difficult rival – one which is probably in their best form of the season but no one can take away the hopes and excitement we feel tonight."

Villarreal will face Barcelona in the semi-finals, while Espanyol will take on Athletic Bilbao for the other spot in the Copa del Rey final.

"We will be facing Barcelona in the next round and the first leg is at their ground," Toral said.

"It's not going to be easy. We need to take a positive result from Camp Nou to have a chance of wrapping up the tie in front of our fans – and the possibility of playing the final."

Villarreal have never won a top-tier competition.

Based approximately 65 kilometres north of Valencia, Villarreal's best La Liga finish was second in 2007-08, while they have been semi-finalists in the UEFA Champions League and UEFA Europa League.

Neymar

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Djukic slams Ronaldo as ´ugly and conceited´

30 January 2015

780521header.jpg

Cordoba coach Miroslav Djukic labelled Cristiano Ronaldo's reaction to his red card last week as "ugly and conceited".

Cristiano Ronaldo's decision to dust off the Club World Cup-winner's crest on his shirt after being sent off at Cordoba has been slammed by the latter's coach Miroslav Djukic.

Ronaldo was given a two-game suspension on Wednesday for kicking Cordoba defender Edimar during Real Madrid's 2-1 victory in La Liga last week, and as the Portuguese forward left the field, he brushed the crest on his right breast, as if to polish it.

Real Madrid won the Club World Cup for the first time in their history on December 20 with a 2-0 victory over San Lorenzo in Morocco.

Djukic labelled Ronaldo's violent conduct against his players - he also appeared to slap Edimar as the defender fell, before fending off Jose Angel Crespo with a forearm to the defender's face - as "an act of desperation", while the Serbian coach was unimpressed by the aftermath.

"[Ronaldo's] gesture to his badge...was ugly and conceited," Djukic told Marca.

"He shouldn't have done that because it is not becoming of the best players in the world, who are him and [Barcelona's Lionel] Messi."

Djukic added that Cordoba did well to keep Ronaldo quiet last Saturday, which meant the Portugal international "wasn't feeling good. That's what caused the whole thing, because of the desperation he felt".

Jorge

Alfrescian
Loyal

Ancelotti: No repeat of Ronaldo indiscretion

30 January 2015

780740header.jpg

As Real Madrid face up to Cristiano Ronaldo's two-match ban, coach Carlo Ancelotti insists his kick on Cordoba's Edimar was a one-off.

Real Madrid coach Carlo Ancelotti is sure that Cristiano Ronaldo will not repeat the indiscretion that led to the Portugal forward receiving a two-match ban.

Ronaldo lost his cool after becoming frustrated by the close attention of Cordoba's Brazilian defender Edimar during Real's 2-1 win last weekend.

The world footballer of the year will miss Saturday's clash with Real Sociedad at Santiago Bernabeu and the encounter with Sevilla on Wednesday, but he will be back for the Madrid derby against champions Atletico on February 7.

Ancelotti is confident Ronaldo will not react in such a manner in future and also stated the former Manchester United man is not being troubled by a knee injury.

"I think that being suspended is never a good thing," Ancelotti said. "He'll take full advantage of it without any problems.

"He was the first to apologise for his reaction. He made a mistake and apologised. It will not happen again.

"He doesn't have to get over anything because he has no problems in his knee or anywhere else on his body for that matter.

"He needs to train normally in order to be in shape for next week. He has two days off and on Monday he'll be back with his team as usual to prepare for the derby against Atletico."

Ancelotti also confirmed that Asier Illarramendi had the opportunity to go to Athletic Bilbao, but was happy the midfielder opted to stay in the Spanish capital, while suggesting that new signing Lucas Silva play some part against Sociedad.

"I have not asked the club for anything. It is true that he had an offer from Athletic, but he's happy here," he added.

"He took a look at his situation and decided to stay and we are happy that he is doing so. We like his professionalism and in the few minutes that he has had, he has always done a good job.

"He [Silva] has arrived in great shape. He's not 100 per cent, but he looks good to me. It's possible that we'll be able to give him some minutes in this next game."

Casillas

Alfrescian
Loyal

Simeone denies gesture towards referee

30 January 2015

780923header.jpg

Diego Simeone has denied making an offensive gesture to the match referee during Atletico Madrid's Copa del Rey defeat to Barcelona.

Atletico Madrid coach Diego Simeone has rubbished claims he made an offensive gesture towards the referee during his side's defeat to Barcelona on Wednesday.

Trailing 1-0 from the first leg of their Copa del Rey quarter-final tie, Atletico were 3-2 behind at half-time at the Vicente Calderon.

The home side felt aggrieved that they had not been awarded a penalty with the score at 2-2 shortly before the break, and their mood was not improved when Barca broke upfield and took the lead for the first time in the match through Neymar.

Atletico had captain Gabi sent off at half-time as the two sets of players became involved in a brief melee when they left the field, and Simeone is alleged to have made a gesture in the direction of match official Jesus Gil Manzano.

"I didn't," Simeone said in a press conference. "That is a big lie."

Atletico must now turn their attention back to La Liga, with the champions visiting Eibar on Saturday.

"We're thinking of the Eibar match," he said. "We only care about playing a good match at a difficult field, against a team who've played well in the Primera Division.

"There's nothing else on my mind. Beyond their defensive rigour and tactics, which they have worked well, they are a team that have quality.

"On the wings, they have experience on the offensive side, they're a team that play well with the ball and know how to play in small spaces.

"They have people who work well and know the field. I don't think the match is only about intensity."

Modric

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Barcelona v Villarreal: Xavi looking to put high-flyers in their place

30 January 2015

780934header.jpg

Villarreal head to Camp Nou on Sunday in fine form and Barcelona star Xavi is looking to halt their unbeaten run at 18 matches.

Barcelona midfielder Xavi has demanded that Luis Enrique's men live up to their billing as favourites against in-form Villarreal on Sunday.

The Liga title challengers go into the clash on the back of a 3-2 win at Atletico Madrid on Wednesday which secured a 4-2 aggregate triumph and a place in the Copa del Rey semi-finals.

Barca now come up against opposition in a rich vein of form, as Villarreal have not lost any of their previous 18 matches in all competitions - with their last defeat coming at FC Zurich in a November UEFA Europa League encounter.

The odds will be stacked against Marcelino Garcia Toral's side, though, having emerged victorious from only one of their last 13 trips to Camp Nou and Xavi is determined to end the visitors' long-unbeaten run.

"Villarreal are on a long run of games unbeaten," he told reporters.

"It will be a very difficult tie for us. Maybe we are favourites, but we have to make good on that.

"We are happy with how we are physically, happy with what we are doing. Everything in this place depends on the result, all of the analysis.

"We were not so bad before, nor are we so good now. But we are on a good path and that benefits the club, the group."

Villarreal's fine run of form has seen them emerge as serious contenders for a UEFA Champions League place and they sit just three points behind fourth-placed Valencia.

A 3-1 home defeat by Nuno Espirito Santo's side on November 2 was Villarreal's most recent reverse in the league, with their charge up the table beginning shortly after that setback.

Villarreal secured a Copa semi-final berth on Thursday for the first time by overcoming Getafe to set up a two-legged tie against Luis Enrique's side.

Marcelino will expect his men to adjust their focus back to La Liga immediately and in Joel Campbell – a loan arrival from Arsenal as part of Gabriel Paulista's switch to the Premier League club – they have a forward looking to prove a point.

"I am ready to work hard and hopefully things turn out well," he is quoted as saying by AS. "My head is at Villarreal and I'm determined to prove my worth here."

Marcelino does find himself a man short ahead of the trip, however, as defender Eric Bailly - another new signing this week - is still away on Africa Cup of Nations duty with Ivory Coast, so Chechu Dorado could make only his fourth league appearance of the season.

Barcelona have almost a full squad to pick from, with Douglas and Thomas Vermaelen the only two set to miss out.

Ochoa

Alfrescian
Loyal

Rayo Vallecano 1 Deportivo La Coruna 2: Borges debut double downs hosts

30 January 2015

781031header.jpg

Deportivo La Coruna moved five points clear of La Liga's drop zone after a Celso Borges-inspired 2-1 triumph over Rayo Vallecano on Friday.

A debut double from Costa Rica star Celso Borges earned Deportivo La Coruna a 2-1 win at Rayo Vallecano in La Liga on Friday.

Deportivo had previous only beaten Eibar away from home in the league this season, but Borges' 72nd-minute penalty ultimately proved decisive in an even encounter.

The 26-year-old, who impressed for his country at the 2014 FIFA World Cup, arrived on loan from Swedish side AIK Stockholm this month and made an instant impact after waiting over two weeks to make his first appearance.

Borges' first came in fortuitous circumstances, though, as goalkeeper Tono parried Ivan Cavaleiro's free-kick into his path to bundle in from close range.

Alberto Bueno equalised soon after in the 22nd minute, prodding home from eight yards after Alberto Lopo's headed clearance fell right at the feet of the Real Madrid youth product.

Borges clinched the win 18 minutes from time, however, stroking home a penalty after Abdoulaye Ba wrestled Sidnei to the ground at a corner, moving Deportivo to within two points of 10th-placed Rayo.

Barcelona

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Real Madrid 4 Real Sociedad 1: Benzema stars in Ronaldo´s absence

31 January 2015

781331header.jpg

Real Madrid eased to a 4-1 Liga win over Real Sociedad on Saturday, with Karim Benzema scoring twice for the leaders.

Karim Benzema starred in the absence of the suspended Cristiano Ronaldo by scoring twice in Real Madrid's 4-1 win over Real Sociedad on Saturday.

Ronaldo received a two-match ban after lashing out at Cordoba's Edimar in Real's last league outing, but the leaders marched without the Portugal forward at Santiago Bernabeu.

Sociedad, who beat Carlo Ancelotti’s side 4-2 at the Anoeta in September, were out to record their first away win over Real since 2004 and they enjoyed a fine start, as Aritz Elustondo headed them in front in the first minute.

James Rodriguez equalised just two minutes later, but Sociedad carried a serious attacking threat until Carlos Vela's injury 17 minutes in.

The hosts began to take control after the Mexico striker's substitution and Sergio Ramos put them ahead eight minutes before the break with his 41st Liga goal, with Benzema adding a third early in the second half.

Real saw several chances go begging in the second half, but Benzema completed the scoring in spectacular fashion with 14 minutes to go as Real moved four points clear of Barcelona, who face Villarreal on Sunday.

The visitors made a breathtaking start at the Bernabeu and broke the deadlock in the first minute, as Elustondo rose highest to meet Ruben Pardo's corner with an unstoppable header.

Moyes' men had barely finished celebrating when the hosts equalised just two minutes later, though.

Rodriguez darted in front of Yuri in anticipation of a cross and placed a fine header into the top-left corner when Marcelo's delivery eventually arrived.

Sociedad went close to retaking the lead a few moments later, as former Real midfielder Sergio Canales poked agonisingly wide after latching on to Esteban Granero's wayward effort.

But the away side's chances of securing a surprise win suffered a blow with Vela's forced withdrawal due to injury in the 17th minute and Real took control from then on.

Sociedad were forced to withstand waves of attacks and their resistance eventually broke in the 37th minute, Ramos lashing home from close range after Jeronimo Rulli denied Benzema.

It should have been 3-1 three minutes later, but Gareth Bale saw his effort deflected wide of an open goal after taking the chance off Rodriguez.

Bale made amends for that mistake six minutes into the second half, however, as the Wales forward raced down the left and cut a well-placed pass back for Benzema, who steered home a simple finish.

The visitors' attacking threat had long since diminished and Ancelotti’s side looked certain to add a fourth in the 56th minute, but the terrific Marcelo could not beat Rulli after collecting Benzema's clever pass.

Benzema rounded off a fine individual display in the 76th minute, combining well with Isco before curling a sensational strike into the top-right corner from 20 yards, doubling his tally as ruthless Real claimed a comfortable win.

Neymar

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Eibar 1 Atletico Madrid 3: Griezmann and Mandzukic inspire champions´ response

31 January 2015

atleticomadrid-cropped_1hvg435t1wafbze2wff72eoof.jpg

Atletico Madrid eased to a 3-1 La Liga win over Eibar on Saturday, producing an immediate response to their Copa del Rey disappointment.

Antoine Griezmann and Mario Mandzukic were in sparkling form as Atletico Madrid bounced back from Copa del Rey elimination to beat Eibar 3-1 at a sodden Ipurua.

Diego Simeone's men crashed out of the Copa after a 3-2 home defeat by Barcelona on Wednesday and they were greeted with torrential rain in the Basque Country – initially plunging the game into doubt - but the Liga champions produced an instant response as they cruised in testing circumstances.

Eighth-placed Eibar rarely looked capable of causing a splash on Saturday, with Griezmann's eighth league goal from his last six outings giving Atletico a seventh-minute lead.

The France international was then the architect for Atletico's second, crossing for the equally sharp Mario Mandzukic to prod home.

Mandzukic added his 10th Liga goal of the season in the 27th minute and, sensing the match was already won, a stubborn Atletico sat back and tightened their grip thereafter.

Eibar improved after the break, though Federico Piovaccari's consolation goal came a minute from time and did little to change the outcome as Atletico remain four points off the pace of rivals Real Madrid in the Liga title race.

Despite the saturated pitch, Atletico did not resort to a direct style of play and their commitment to playing the ball was rewarded after just seven minutes.

Griezmann peeled away to the left and was played into the area by Raul Garcia, the French attacker slamming a precise effort into the bottom-right corner.

Eibar were not quite so keen to stick to the principles of short passing, though, often pumping the ball into the box to give Miguel Angel Moya something of a physical test.

But the goalkeeper was more than a match and Atletico made the most of Eibar's lack of ingenuity, as Mandzukic steered a left-wing delivery in from close range after 23 minutes - Griezmann turning provider this time.

And Eibar again failed to cope with the Croatian four minutes later.

Abraham and Raul Navas hesitated in defence, leaving Mandzukic room to blast past a helpless Xabi Irureta in Eibar's goal.

The hosts were finally presented with their first chance in the 43rd minute, but Piovaccari fired straight at Moya after Diego Godin's clearance struck Tiago and fell kindly for the Italian.

Eibar attempted to up the ante at the start of the second half, passing the ball around quicker in the marginally improved conditions.

But they continued to struggle crafting opportunities, with Mikel Arruabarena's tame half-volley in the 52nd minute about as much as they could muster, leaving Moya largely untroubled.

Atletico showed little determination to add a fourth in a second half which failed to ignite much excitement and, although Piovaccari headed in Saul Berjon's cross at the end, Simeone's side strode to a routine triumph.

Mandzukic

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

La Liga Review: Real, Atletico cruise to wins

1 February 2015

karimbenzema-cropped-spz693pfglc4zusbzh7itf6c.jpg

City rivals Real Madrid and Atletico Madrid enjoyed triumphant outings in La Liga on Saturday.

Karim Benzema starred in the absence of the suspended Cristiano Ronaldo by scoring twice in Real Madrid's 4-1 win over Real Sociedad.

Ronaldo received a two-match ban after lashing out at Cordoba's Edimar in Real's last league outing, but the leaders marched without the Portugal forward at The Santiago Bernabeu.

Sociedad, who beat Carlo Ancelotti’s side 4-2 at the Anoeta in September, were out to record their first away win over Real since 2004 and they enjoyed a fine start, as Aritz Elustondo headed the visitors in front in the first minute.

James Rodriguez equalised for Real just two minutes later, but Sociedad carried a serious attacking threat until Carlos Vela's injury 17 minutes in.

The hosts began to take control after the Mexican striker's substitution and Sergio Ramos put them ahead eight minutes before the break with his 41st Liga goal, before Benzema added a third early in the second half.

Real saw several chances go begging in the second half, but Benzema completed the scoring in spectacular fashion with 14 minutes to go as Real moved four points clear of Barcelona, who face Villarreal on Sunday.

City rivals Atletico were also victorious on Saturday.

Antoine Griezmann and Mario Mandzukic were in sparkling form as Diego Simeone's men bounced back from Copa del Rey elimination to beat Eibar 3-1 at a sodden Ipurua.

Atletico crashed out of the Copa after a 3-2 home defeat to Barcelona on Wednesday and they were greeted with torrential rain in the Basque Country – initially plunging the game into doubt - but the Liga champions produced an instant response as they cruised in testing circumstances.

Eighth-placed Eibar rarely looked capable of causing a splash on Saturday, with Griezmann's eighth league goal from his last six outings giving Atletico a seventh-minute lead.

The France international was then the architect for Atletico's second, crossing for the equally sharp Mandzukic to prod home in the 23rd minute.

Mandzukic added his 10th Liga goal of the season four minutes later and sensing the match was already won, a stubborn Atletico sat back and tightened their grip thereafter.

Eibar improved after the break, though Federico Piovaccari's consolation goal came a minute from time and did little to change the outcome as Atletico remain four points off the pace.

In other results, Granada and Celta Vigo were both 1-0 winners.

Jhon Cordoba's 56th-minute strike gave Granada a narrow win over 10-man Elche, while Celta Vigo were inspired by Nolito's second-half effort at home to Cordoba.

Casillas

Alfrescian
Loyal

Cordoba complete triple swoop, Levante bring in two

30 January 2015

781037header.jpg

La Liga's transfer deadline passed without much ceremony on Friday, but struggling Cordoba completed an eye-catching triple swoop.

Cordoba enjoyed a successful transfer deadline day as they completed the loan captures of midfielders Bruno Zuculini, Rene Krhin and Heldon.

Miroslav Djukic's side looked doomed to be relegated back to La Segunda before the Serbian took over from Albert Ferrer in October, but they have since climbed out of the bottom three and Friday's midfield reinforcements strengthen their chances of avoiding the drop.

Zuculini's loan at Valencia was cut short earlier in the day by parent club Manchester City, while Krhin – co-owned by Bologna and Inter – and Sporting Lisbon's Heldon also joined on temporary deals.

Zuculini was not the only Man City player to end up in La Liga, as Nigerian youngster Chidi Nwakali agreed a two-and-a-half-year loan deal with Malaga.

Levante also had a successful day, as experienced centre-back Ivan Ramis arrived from Wigan Athletic and the league ratified Kalu Uche's free transfer.

Following Ramis back to Spain from England are Adrian Colunga and Rafa Paez.

Forward Colunga joined goal-shy Granada on loan from Brighton and Hove Albion, while Liverpool's 20-year-old centre-back Paez links up with Eibar.

Also heading to Granada until the end of the season is Jose Manuel Casado, leaving Malaga after making just two Liga appearances since joining from Rayo Vallecano in September 2013.

Few of the division's bigger sides were active on deadline day, although Villarreal's move for Espanyol's Eric Bailly went through, Real Sociedad completed the signing of Nabil Bahoui from AIK and Sevilla allowed Bryan Rabello to join Leganes until June.

Jorge

Alfrescian
Loyal

Ancelotti lauds ´fantastic´ Benzema

31 January 2015

karimbenzemacropped_13h7b1qmw6ioi1u0os60t36sht.jpg

Karim Benzema was on target twice in Real Madrid's 4-1 win over Real Sociedad, earning high praise from Carlo Ancelotti.

Carlo Ancelotti praised Karim Benzema as "fantastic" after the striker scored twice in Real Madrid's 4-1 La Liga victory over Real Sociedad on Saturday.

Real had to come from behind to see off David Moyes' side at the Santiago Bernabeu after Aritz Elustondo had opened the scoring inside the first minute.

France striker Benzema struck twice in the second half after James Rodriguez and Sergio Ramos had put the leaders in front at the break.

Real were without the suspended Cristiano Ronaldo, who sat out the first game of his two match-ban for a red card against Cordoba, and Ancelotti was pleased to see Benzema take centre stage in the Ballon d'Or winner's absence.

The Italian said: "Benzema put in a fantastic performance. The goal he scored was top quality. He has a fantastic strike, but we also have to appreciate the way he helps the team's play.

"He isn't just a striker who plays in the box, he is very good in every area and has a lot of quality. We had a lot of chances and shots on goal."

It was the third time in recent weeks that Real have fallen behind to an early goal and that is clearly a cause for concern for coach Ancelotti.

He added: "In the first half, as has happened in other games, we didn't start well and we conceded a goal. The same happened at Cordoba and against Atletico (Madrid) in the Copa (del Rey).

"We have to improve that. Then we defended well and we pressed up front. We played very well in the second half. We sorted it out and the match improved."

Ancelotti also revealed that new signing Lucas Silva did not feature as he is not yet match fit.

Modric

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Emulating Messi will be tough for Neymar - Luis Enrique

31 January 2015

neymar-cropped_x6hsp9oinjbr19rg3jjd6d54f.jpg

Emulating Lionel Messi will be tough for 'special' Neymar, says Barcelona head coach Luis Enrique.

Barcelona head coach Luis Enrique expects Neymar to be one of the best players in the world, but is unsure whether he will hit the heights of Lionel Messi.

The Brazilian has shone this season for the Catalan giants, with 21 goals in all competitions.

That form that has already seen him mentioned as a contender for the 2015 Ballon d'Or, but while Luis Enrique believes the Camp Nou is the perfect place for the 22-year-old to realise his potential, he feels emulating Messi would be a huge ask.

"Neymar is with the right team to become an important figure," said the Barca coach. "He is a unique and special player. We could see that when he was playing in Brazil.

"He is in the best team to do it [reach his potential], and we would like him to became an important figure.

"I cannot predict if we will be better than others in the future.

"Messi has set the bar so high with all that he has done, all that he is still doing and all that he will continue to do, and now he is the number one.

"But we will see in the future."

Ochoa

Alfrescian
Loyal

La Liga Review: Barca and Sevilla edge thrillers

1 February 2015

782089header.jpg

Barcelona and Sevilla prevailed in five-goal thrillers against Villarreal and Espanyol respectively in La Liga on Sunday.

Barcelona kept pace with Real Madrid at the top of La Liga thanks to an entertaining 3-2 win over Villarreal at Camp Nou on Sunday.

Having seen Real extend their lead to four points with a 4-1 win over Real Sociedad on Saturday, Barca fell behind to Denis Cheryshev's goal in the 30th minute.

Neymar equalised on the stroke of half-time, but Luciano Vietto restored the visitors' lead six minutes into the second period.

However, quickfire goals from Rafinha and Lionel Messi put Barca in the lead for the first time, and they held on to extend their winning run in all competitions to eight matches and end Villarreal's 18-game undefeated streak.

For the third time in 11 days, Sevilla met Espanyol and it proved to be an entertaining affair as Unai Emery's men triumphed 3-2 thanks to Iago Aspas' strike a minute from time.

Espanyol won 3-2 on aggregate in their recent Copa del Rey quarter-final, but this time it was Sevilla's turn to enjoy success as they moved back up to fourth in the table.

Christian Stuani put Espanyol ahead from the penalty spot in the 15th minute before a freak goal brought Sevilla level.

Diogo Figueiras went in for a 50-50 challenge with an opponent but as he lashed the ball away it sailed over the head of Kiko Casilla and into the net from 50 yards.

Vitolo put Sevilla ahead 10 minutes prior to the interval and five minutes later Casilla raced from his goal, inexplicably handled Aspas' lobbed effort and was shown a straight red card.

Victor Sanchez brought Espanyol level with 13 minutes to go, but in the 89th minute Aspas had the final say with a smart finish to send the home fans into raptures.

Elsewhere, Athletic Bilbao won 2-0 at Levante thanks to a brace from Aritz Aduriz, while Edgar Mendez's strike earned Almeria a 1-0 win over Getafe.

Both sides finished with 10 men, as Getafe saw Sergio Escudero dismissed for a second booking before Almeria had Tomer Hemed sent off, also for picking up two cautions.