• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

║ La Liga Season 2014-15 ║

Jorge

Alfrescian
Loyal

Suarez receiving help for biting ´impulse´

24 October 2014

701915header.jpg

Barcelona forward Luis Suarez has revealed that he is receiving help to prevent his "impulse" to bite.

The Uruguay international was handed a four-month ban in June for biting Italy's Giorgio Chiellini at the World Cup.

He had been reprimanded on two previous occasions for similar offences after biting PSV's Otman Bakkal in 2010 and Chelsea's Branislav Ivanovic in 2013

Suarez admits he has a problem, but believes he is on the "right path" to overcoming the issue.

"I think all the bad things I have been through are in the past," Suarez told The Guardian. "I believe I am on the right path now, dealing with the people who can help me, the right kind of people.

"Everyone has different ways of defending themselves. In my case, the pressure and tension came out in that way.

"There are other players who react by breaking someone's leg, or smashing someone's nose across their face. What happened with Chiellini is seen as worse. I understand why biting is seen so badly."

However, Suarez - who could make his first competitive Barca outing in Saturday's much-anticipated Clasico encounter with Real Madrid - remains unrepentant over his row with Patrice Evra in October 2011, for which he was banned for eight games and fined £40,000 after being found guilty of racial abuse.

"I know I was wrong with the biting and the diving but I was accused of racism without any proof," he added. "There were lots of cameras, but no evidence. It hurts me the most that it was my word against theirs."

Jorge

Alfrescian
Loyal

La Liga Review: Real claim Clasico honours

25 October 2014

703477header.jpg

Real Madrid came from behind to overwhelm Barcelona en route to a 3-1 El Clasico win in La Liga on Saturday, while Valencia bounced back.

Luis Enrique made the entry to Barcelona's team sheet that the eyes of the football world were waiting for as Luis Suarez started, having served his four-month ban for biting Giorgio Chiellini during the World Cup.

The Uruguay star enjoyed a dream start to life in a Barcelona shirt as he laid on Neymar's fourth-minute opener, from which Real hit back ferociously - Karim Benzema passing up a host of chances in quick succession.

Lionel Messi's customary composure in front of goal deserted him before his great rival Cristiano Ronaldo levelled from the penalty spot before half-time after Gerard Pique blocked Marcelo's los cross with his arm.

That was the first league goal conceded by Barcelona this season but Pepe headed Carlo Ancelotti's team ahead five minutes into the second half and there was a party atmosphere at the Santiago Bernabeu when Benzema converted a brilliant 61st-minute counter-attack.

Real close to within a point of their historic foes at La Liga's summit after nine rounds, while Sevilla can go level with Barca if they beat Villarreal on Sunday.

A point behind Real are Valencia, who returned to winning ways at home to second-bottom Elche.

Valencia were beaten 3-0 by Deportivo La Coruna last week but Nuno Espirito Santo's men regrouped with a 3-1 victory at the Estadio de Mestalla.

Two goals in a five-minute period from Shkodran Mustafi and Dani Parejo sent Valencia on their way in the first half, before a David Lomban own goal in the 63rd minute put the game beyond doubt.

Jonathas scored a consolation goal for the visitors in the third minute of injury time.

In other results, Athletic Bilbao eased the pressure on coach Ernesto Valverde with a hard-fought 1-0 win at Almeria.

In the midst of a nine-game winless streak in all competitions prior to kick-off, Bilbao were desperate for maximum points, and they got them thanks to Xabier Etxeita.

The Bilbao defender found the back of the net in the 56th minute to steer the club three points clear of the relegation zone.

Xisco Jimenez equalised three minutes from time as Cordoba climbed off the foot of the table after holding fellow strugglers Real Sociedad to a 1-1 draw.

Eibar and Granada also played out a 1-1 draw.

Jorge

Alfrescian
Loyal

La Liga Review: Dogged Sevilla go level with Barca, Atletico two points from summit

26 October 2014

704593header.jpg

Sevilla stunned Villarreal with a late turnaround to win 2-1 and go level with Barcelona, while Atletico Madrid sit just two points behind.

Marcelino Garcia Toral's Villarreal appeared to have stolen three valuable points from the Ramon Sanchez Pizjuan when 20-year-old Luciano Vietto scored his third La Liga goal of the season in the 79th minute to round off a fine team move.

However, former Sevilla coach Marcelino – who complained post-match about his frosty reception – was left in despair come the full-time whistle as Denis Suarez squeezed in an 88th minute equaliser, before Unai Emery's side claimed the win in stoppage time.

Giovani dos Santos was caught napping in his own penalty area and tripped Benoit Tremoulinas as he attempted to clear his lines, allowing Carlos Bacca to stroke home the resulting spot-kick.

The win sees Sevilla move level on 22 points with Barcelona, their best ever haul in La Liga after nine games, while Atletico Madrid sit a further two points behind after a slender 1-0 win over Getafe.

The reigning champions made the short journey across Madrid and were rarely threatened by their neighbours, securing a victory to take full advantage of Barca's 3-1 defeat at Real Madrid on Saturday.

Mario Mandzukic scored an easy tap-in five minutes before half-time to give Atletico the lead, but the score should have been more one-sided as they wasted several chances in the first half.

And after beginning the second period brightly, Getafe gifted Atletico a numerical advantage when captain Alexis was sent off striking Mandzukic in the face.

To the credit of coach Cosmin Contra, Getafe attacked with desire in search of a late leveller despite being a man down, but Atletico's resolute backline held firm to seal all three points for the visitors.

The day's early clash saw in-form Malaga claim a third successive La Liga victory and move up to seventh thanks to a crushing 4-0 win over Rayo Vallecano.

Samu Garcia, Sergi Darder and Juanmi ensured Javi Gracia's men took a 3-0 lead into the break and Nordin Amrabat completed the rout from the penalty spot just after half-time.

Deportivo La Coruna held hosts Espanyol to a 0-0 draw at Cornella El-Prat in the day's only other game.

Jorge

Alfrescian
Loyal

Barca confirm Iniesta injury

26 October 2014

703745header.jpg

Barcelona have confirmed that Andres Iniesta suffered a calf injury in El Clasico but it remains unclear how long he will be ruled out for.

The Spain midfielder had to be withdrawn with just under 20 minutes remaining in Barca's 3-1 La Liga defeat against arch-rivals Real Madrid at the Santiago Bernabeu on Saturday.

Iniesta pulled up holding his right leg and signalled to the bench that he was unable to continue.

The influential playmaker, who was replaced by Sergi Roberto, was assessed on Sunday and the Catalan giants confirmed he had damaged his calf.

Barca led through Neymar's early goal, but Cristiano Ronaldo pegged them back from the penalty spot and further goals from Pepe and Karim Benzema consigned Luis Enrique's side to their first La Liga defeat of the season.

Lionel Messi spurned a golden opportunity to double Barca's lead before Real hit back and Xavi was left to rue that miss.

"We didn't lose control at all; when they went up they were more comfortable." he said.

"When we were up 1-0, we should have taken longer possessions. We just missed out on the second goal, and when you miss those in the Bernabeu you pay a hefty price.

"After their second goal, they stayed back and looked for counter-attacks."

Jorge

Alfrescian
Loyal

Zidane banned for three months over missing Real Madrid qualifications

409234_heroa.jpg

By Miles Chambers
Oct 27, 2014 17:41:22

The former France international did not possess the necessary certificates to train the Blancos' second-string side and, as a result, cannot return to the bench until 2015

Real Madrid reserve team boss Zinedine Zidane has been banned from the bench for three months over missing coaching qualifications.

Francisco Rubio, a lawyer for the Segunda Division, imposed the recommended ban on the former France international, which was less than the several months maximum it could have been.

There was a complaint made against Zidane's position as Real Madrid Castilla head coach in August, a position he had taken during the summer after choosing to step aside as Carlo Ancelotti's assistant with the club's first team.

The former midfielder has a Uefa A Licence - equivalent to Level 2 qualifications in Spain - but needed Level 3 badges to hold the position to take charge of the Blancos' second string.

Zidane's deputy, Santiago Sanchez, has been handed the same ban as he used his qualifications to shield Zidane from being pulled up on his lack of coaching badges, which the Champions League winner now must obtain before early April to avoid further sanctions.

A statement from the European champions read: "Real Madrid wish to express our complete disagreement with this decision since, in any case, Zinedine Zidane is enabled by the French Football Federation to serve as head coach in the category that is Real Madrid Castilla, as credited with the certificate issued by the FF on October 13, 2014.

"Real Madrid will exhaust all legal avenues to stress that this decision does not make sense."

Ahead of the ruling, Zidane had already his disdain towards the case against him and insisted that he does regret having forged his qualifications in France rather than Spain.

"The club did everything it could and I will continue to do everything possible to defend myself," he told La Figaro.

"I have no regrets about having spent my degrees in France. If I had to do it all over then I'd do exactly the same things.

"It's still amazing that there are so few people defending me and explaining that I did not have special privilege. I did not circumvent the obstacles and some just took this as an opportunity to spit on me."

The former Real Madrid and Juventus midfielder has 10 days to launch an appeal.

Jorge

Alfrescian
Loyal

Real vow to fight Zidane ban

27 October 2014

705417header.jpg

Real Madrid have vowed to "pursue every available legal avenue" to get Zinedine Zidane's coaching ban overturned.

It emerged on Monday that the Spanish Football Federation's (RFEF) Competition Committee had suspended Real Castilla boss Zidane for three months due to the 42-year-old not holding the necessary qualifications for the role.

However, Real released a statement later in the day insisting they will aggressively fight the RFEF's decision on the basis that Zidane has obtained the required qualifications in his homeland, France.

The statement read: "In response to the sanction handed down by the Competition Committee to the Real Madrid Castilla's head coach and second coach, Santiago Sanchez and Zinedine Zidane respectively, Real Madrid C. F. would like to outline the following:

"1. The club's absolute disagreement with the decision, not least of all because Zinedine Zidane has been authorised by the French Football Federation to work as a head coach in the category Real Madrid Castilla currently find themselves in, as the certificate issued by said Federation from 13 October 2014 states.

"2. Real Madrid will pursue every available legal avenue so that this decision is overturned."

Real and France legend Zidane took charge of the club's B team in the close-season after serving as first-team boss Carlo Ancelotti's assistant last term, but Spain's national association of coaches reportedly filed a complaint to the RFEF on the basis that he only carries a UEFA A licence.

In the Spanish system, that represents the equivalent of a Level 2 qualification - one below the requisite grade required to manage in the Segunda B division.

Apparently in anticipation of a potential problem, Real officially named Zidane's right-hand man Santiago Sanchez - holder of a Level 3 license - as the Castilla head coach in the close-season, but it is commonly known that the Frenchman is in charge.

Jorge

Alfrescian
Loyal

Ancelotti calms Bale fears

29 October 2014

707007header.jpg

Carlo Ancelotti is adamant that Gareth Bale is capable of playing three games in quick succession for Real Madrid.

The world's most expensive player was an unused substitute in Real's 5-0 battering of Levante earlier this month, before missing last Wednesday's UEFA Champions League victory at Liverpool and the Clasico triumph over Barcelona on Saturday because of a hip problem.

Reports in the Spanish press suggested that the Welshman's injury occurred because he is unable to play three matches in a short period of time.

However, Real head coach Ancelotti has dismissed that notion.

"It's a lie that Bale couldn't play three consecutive matches," he said ahead of Real's Copa del Rey clash with Cornella later on Wednesday. "He just has a small injury."

In Bale's absence, the duo of James Rodriguez and Isco have flourished, leading some to question whether the former Tottenham star will be able to regain his place in Real's starting XI.

But Ancelotti insists that Bale is a crucial part of his first-team plans.

"It seems like many have forgotten that Gareth Bale scored in the Copa del Rey and UEFA Champions League finals [last season]," he added. "He is equally important as James Rodriguez and Isco."

Ancelotti also confirmed that Cristiano Ronaldo, Luka Modric, Iker Casillas, Toni Kroos and Sergio Ramos will all be rested for Wednesday's game against third-tier Cornella.

Jorge

Alfrescian
Loyal

Ancelotti retracts Blatter criticism

30 October 2014

708051header.jpg

Real Madrid coach Carlo Ancelotti retracted his criticism of FIFA president Sepp Blatter, blaming misinterpretation of a question.

Prior to Real's Copa del Rey round-of-32 first leg with Cornella - which they won 4-1 on Wednesday - Ancelotti slammed Blatter for supposedly claiming Manuel Neuer deserved the Ballon d'Or ahead of favourite Cristiano Ronaldo.

Ancelotti claimed it was "impossible" to shut Blatter's mouth and his comments made "no sense" - but the Italian was forced to backtrack after it was clarified the governing body's president was referring to the World Cup's golden ball, not the Ballon d'Or.

"I want to clarify what I said, because maybe the question wasn't put to me so clearly. I was asked what I thought of him saying the 'golden ball' should have gone to Neuer," Ancelotti said following their first-leg cup success.

"Obviously Blatter didn't say that about the 'Ballon d'Or' award, it was about the 'golden ball' at the World Cup, just so we're clear and for me to rectify what was said."

On their cup fixture, which saw Raphael Varane strike a brace followed by goals to Javier Hernandez and Marcelo, Ancelotti said he was pleased with his side's attitude up against third-tier opposition.

"The team took the game seriously, we did well and ended up imposing ourselves on them, so I'm happy," Ancelotti said.

"For the hard work they did, Cornella deserved to score, so it's a fair result."

Ancelotti waved away fears of an injury to Colombian starlet James Rodriguez, who was substituted prior to the hour mark, while he insisted Karim Benzema - taken off 14 minutes from time - was also fit.

"There weren't any problems [with Rodriguez], we'd planned to play him for an hour and then make a change. He had a solid game," Ancelotti said.

On Benzema starting, he added: "He's fine physically, hasn't had any problems recovering and he hasn't needed a rest.

"I think the whole squad was fine. [Asier] Illarramendi and [Sami] Khedira also showed that they're in good shape, so I'm very happy about that."

Jorge

Alfrescian
Loyal

La Liga Preview: Barca look to bounce back, Sevilla face Bilbao test

30 October 2014

708319header.jpg

Luis Enrique will come up against familiar opposition as Barcelona aim to regain momentum in La Liga at home to Celta Vigo on Saturday.

Barca had not conceded a single league goal prior to last Saturday's crushing 3-1 Clasico defeat at the home of arch rivals Real Madrid.

The top five in the Spanish top flight are now separated by just two points, with Barca ahead of second-placed Sevilla on goal difference alone.

And the Catalan giants will be desperate to return to winning ways on Saturday against their coach's former side, who sit sixth in the table following an encouraging start to the campaign under Eduardo Berizzo.

Celta, who have lost just once this season, claimed a first victory in three last time out, easing to a 3-0 victory over Levante to move on to 16 points from nine games.

Sevilla are in action on Sunday, against an Athletic Bilbao side who ended a nine-match winless streak in their previous league game by winning 1-0 at Almeria.

The celebrations continued for Cristiano Ronaldo and Real Madrid, who are now just a point behind Barca and Sevilla, after Saturday's Clasico success.

The Portuguese won the 'Best Player', 'Best Forward' and 'Best Goal' prizes at La Liga's annual awards ceremony, and his pursuit of a third Ballon d'Or gathering pace ahead of a weekend trip to Granada, which will see Real go in search of an 11th straight victory in all competitions.

Carlo Ancelotti's men have scored 42 goals during their winning run, with Ronaldo taking his tally in the league to a staggering 16 from eight appearances.

Players from champions Atletico Madrid were somewhat surprisingly overlooked at Monday's awards, with Diego Simeone's 'Best Coach' gong their only recognition.

The Argentinian will no doubt use that as further motivation as his club, fifth in the table, aim to build on a narrow win over local rivals Getafe when they host Cordoba on Saturday.

Fourth-placed Valencia's quest for consistency continues at Villareal on Sunday.

Marcelino Garcia Toral's men had won four in a row across all competitions prior to last weekend's defeat at Sevilla and will be hoping for a repeat of last season's 4-1 success against the men from the Mestalla.

The pressure continues to build on Real Sociedad coach Jagoba Arrasate, after their winless run reached seven matches last weekend, and he will be out to impress against Malaga.

Bottom club Levante have shipped 11 goals in their last three matches, but could climb out of the relegation zone with victory against Almeria.

Elche are in a similar position as they prepare to host Espanyol, while Rayo Vallecano face Eibar on Monday.

Deportivo La Coruna and Getafe kick off the weekend's action with a Friday meeting at the Riazor.

Jorge

Alfrescian
Loyal

Chicharito: I'm no super-sub

530791_heroa.jpg

Oct 30, 2014 11:23:16

The Mexico international is determined to show that he's capable of being effective over an entire 90 minutes, rather than just in cameo appearances from the bench

Javier "Chicharito" Hernandez has vowed to prove he is more than just a super-sub at Real Madrid after scoring in the 4-1 Copa del Rey victory at Cornella on Wednesday.

The Mexico attacker's opportunities in the starting XI have proved just as limited at Real as at Manchester United and he has started just once in La Liga this term.

Head coach Carlo Ancelotti afforded the 26-year-old striker a chance to shine in the Copa, though, and he responded with a goal at the Estadio Municipal de la Via Ferrea.

"I'm working hard to seize opportunities and do my best for the Madrid badge," he told reporters after the game.

"I won't get into this debate [about being a substitute]. I'll prove my quality when I'm playing.

"The important thing was to get a good win in the first leg. The coach asked us to be professional and respectful with every opponent we face. That means playing as if we were up against Barcelona.

"James passed me the ball, I attempted a one-two with Karim Benzema and then I just shot towards goal and thanks to God it went in."

Madrid's fourth goal was scored by substitute Marcelo, with the full-back celebrating with a double somersault, but the Brazilian's exuberant reaction was frowned upon by Cornella goalscorer Oscar Munoz.

"We are Segunda B players, we hardly earn any money and his somersaults leave a bitter taste in our mouths," he told Marca.

"You have to remember where you are. Well, whatever - after he told me that he just had to celebrate it. Chicharito [Hernandez] also explained it to me. He told me that he doesn't score all that many goals and that's why he did it."

Jorge

Alfrescian
Loyal

Mascherano beats Messi to Barcelona Player of the Year award

489511_heroa.jpg

By Mark Doyle
Oct 30, 2014 13:56:28

The versatile 30-year-old has been rewarded for his consistency during what was a difficult campaign for the Catalan club

Javier Mascherano has been named Barcelona's player of the 2013-14 season.

Lionel Messi had won three of the previous four editions of the 'Memorial Aldo Rovira' but he was pipped to the prize by his fellow Argentina international, who demonstrated impressive consistency at the heart of the Blaugrana defence during a turbulent campaign that ended without the Catalans winning a major honour.

"I thank all of you who voted for me to receive this prize," Mascherano is quoted as saying by the club's official website.

"We’ll try to continue doing things as well as we have until now, with the same dedication while trying to stay faithful to what a club like this demands, which is a lot."

The award is named after Aldo Rovira, a Barca club member who tragically died in an accident in 2009. The recipient of the accolade is decided by a jury of prominent figures from Barca and the Catalan media.

"I was part of the jury that chose Javier Mascherano," Blaugrana president Josep Maria Bartomeu explained. “And I have to tell you, Javier, that there was quite some debate at first.

"But when your name came up, the response was unanimous and so this a very well deserved prize.

"It’s an honour for Barca to have a player like you.”

The versatile Mascherano, who is also deployed in midfield by Barca, arrived at Camp Nou from Liverpool in 2010.

The 30-year-old was linked with a move away from Catalunya at the end of last season but he signed a new contract on June 7 that binds him to the Blaugrana until 2018.

Jorge

Alfrescian
Loyal

Deportivo La Coruna 1 Getafe 2: Lafita returns to haunt hosts

31 October 2014

710123header.jpg

Angel Lafita scored against his former club as Getafe recorded a 2-1 La Liga triumph over Deportivo La Coruna.

The visitors recorded their second away win on the bounce and it was Lafita's strike that proved crucial versus the side he represented between 2007 and 2009.

Fredy Hinestroza's excellent run and cross left Lafita with a simple finish to put Getafe 2-0 up early in the second half, with Depor goalkeeper Fabricio's own goal having broken the deadlock 10 minutes before the break.

Helder Postiga reduced the deficit in the 80th minute with a cool finish from inside the box, but there was no way back for Victor Fernandez's men.

Getafe climb into the top half, while Depor remain uncomfortably close to the bottom three.

Fabricio's moment of misfortune arrived when Abdoul Karim Yoda cut in from the right and fired a shot against the base of the post, with the ball rebounding off the prone keeper and into the net.

Lafita turned home Hinestroza's delivery in the 46th minute to put Getafe in control in, with a late side-footed finish from Postiga setting up a tense finish which saw the visitors hold on for the points.

Jorge

Alfrescian
Loyal

La Liga Preview: Barca look to bounce back, Sevilla face Bilbao test

30 October 2014

708319header.jpg

Luis Enrique will come up against familiar opposition as Barcelona aim to regain momentum in La Liga at home to Celta Vigo on Saturday.

Barca had not conceded a single league goal prior to last Saturday's crushing 3-1 Clasico defeat at the home of arch rivals Real Madrid.

The top five in the Spanish top flight are now separated by just two points, with Barca ahead of second-placed Sevilla on goal difference alone.

And the Catalan giants will be desperate to return to winning ways on Saturday against their coach's former side, who sit sixth in the table following an encouraging start to the campaign under Eduardo Berizzo.

Celta, who have lost just once this season, claimed a first victory in three last time out, easing to a 3-0 victory over Levante to move on to 16 points from nine games.

Sevilla are in action on Sunday, against an Athletic Bilbao side who ended a nine-match winless streak in their previous league game by winning 1-0 at Almeria.

The celebrations continued for Cristiano Ronaldo and Real Madrid, who are now just a point behind Barca and Sevilla, after Saturday's Clasico success.

The Portuguese won the 'Best Player', 'Best Forward' and 'Best Goal' prizes at La Liga's annual awards ceremony, and his pursuit of a third Ballon d'Or gathering pace ahead of a weekend trip to Granada, which will see Real go in search of an 11th straight victory in all competitions.

Carlo Ancelotti's men have scored 42 goals during their winning run, with Ronaldo taking his tally in the league to a staggering 16 from eight appearances.

Players from champions Atletico Madrid were somewhat surprisingly overlooked at Monday's awards, with Diego Simeone's 'Best Coach' gong their only recognition.

The Argentinian will no doubt use that as further motivation as his club, fifth in the table, aim to build on a narrow win over local rivals Getafe when they host Cordoba on Saturday.

Fourth-placed Valencia's quest for consistency continues at Villareal on Sunday.

Marcelino Garcia Toral's men had won four in a row across all competitions prior to last weekend's defeat at Sevilla and will be hoping for a repeat of last season's 4-1 success against the men from the Mestalla.

The pressure continues to build on Real Sociedad coach Jagoba Arrasate, after their winless run reached seven matches last weekend, and he will be out to impress against Malaga.

Bottom club Levante have shipped 11 goals in their last three matches, but could climb out of the relegation zone with victory against Almeria.

Elche are in a similar position as they prepare to host Espanyol, while Rayo Vallecano face Eibar on Monday.

Deportivo La Coruna and Getafe kick off the weekend's action with a Friday meeting at the Riazor.

Jorge

Alfrescian
Loyal

Zidane cleared to return to coaching until appeal verdict

409234_heroa.jpg

Oct 31, 2014 15:37:48

The Real Madrid Castilla boss had been hit with a three-month suspension for not having the required coaching credentials but that ban has now been put on hold

Real Madrid have revealed that Zinedine Zidane has been cleared to continue coaching until the appeal against his three-month ban is heard.

The Frenchman had been hit with the suspension by the Spanish Football Federation's (RFEF) Appeals Commission on October 27 for working as Real Madrid Castilla boss without the required coaching licence.

Los Blancos challenged the ruling, but their case was dismissed by the RFEF's Appeals Commission on Thursday.

However, Zidane and his assistant, Santiago Sanchez, have now been now been granted temporary injuctions against their respective bans by the Spanish Sport Ministry.

"Real Madrid C. F. communicates that the Spanish Sport Ministry’s Administrative Court (TAD) has granted the precautionary suspension requested by the club, allowing the coach and assistant coach of Real Madrid Castilla, Santiago Sanchez and Zinedine Zidane respectively, to carry out their professional activity as soon as the Real Madrid's appeal against the decision from the Appeals Committee is resolved," read a statement released by the European champions.

Consequently, both Zidane and Sanchez will be able to take to the bench for Real Madrid Castilla's meeting with Rayo Vallecano B on Saturday.

France icon Zidane brought the curtain down on his illustrious playing career in 2006, after five successful seasons in the Spanish capital.

The World Cup winner then return to the Santiago Bernabeu in 2013 to serve as an assistant to first-team coach Carlo Ancelotti before taking charge of the club's reserve side this summer.

MarceloVieira

Alfrescian
Loyal

La Liga Review: Aduriz strike sinks Sevilla, Valencia go second

2 November 2014

712475header.jpg

Sevilla missed an opportunity to go top of La Liga when they suffered a 1-0 defeat against Athletic Bilbao at San Mames on Sunday.

Unai Emery's side knew a victory would see them go above leaders Real Madrid in the table, but Bilbao had other ideas.

Aritz Aduriz scored the only goal of the game in the 13th minute when he got on the end of Markel Susaeta's cross to apply the finish and the visitors were unable to respond.

Sevilla registered just one shot on target and sit fifth in the table as a result of only their second league defeat of the campaign, while Bilbao have won their last two matches and are up to 11th.

Manuel Trigueros scored at both ends as Valencia moved up to second spot courtesy of a 3-1 victory at Villarreal.

Trigueros' own-goal after only six minutes put Nuno Espirito Santo's side ahead, then Germany international Shkodran Mustafi scored twice in the space of nine second-half minutes to put the visitors in complete control.

Midfielder Trigueros pulled a goal back two minutes from time, but the damage had been done as Valencia moved just a point behind Real and above defending champions Atletico Madrid on goal difference.

Lucas Alcaraz marked his first home game in charge of Levante with a 2-1 victory over Almeria which moved them off the bottom of the table.

Alcaraz replaced Jose Luis Mendilibar as coach last month and masterminded his first win at the helm to move his side above Real Sociedad and Cordoba, with the latter now at the foot of the table.

David Barral put the hosts in front 26 minutes in and Victor Casadesus' strike won it 15 minutes from time after Jonathan Zongo had equalised.

Elche ended a run of six league games without a win by securing a 2-1 home victory over Espanyol in the other game to be played on Sunday.

Jorge

Alfrescian
Loyal

Bale set for Real return

3 November 2014

712925header.jpg

Carlo Ancelotti has confirmed Gareth Bale is set to return from injury for Real Madrid's UEFA Champions League clash with Liverpool.

Bale has missed Real's last four matches after being an unused substitute in their 5-0 victory at Levante on October 18.

Ancelotti's men have been in fine form despite Bale's injury, winning all four of those games while scoring 14 goals, the Italian is sure to be happy to be able to welcome the Welshman back into contention for Liverpool's visit to the Santiago Bernabeu on Tuesday.

Victory over the Premier League club would guarantee Real's place in the last 16 of the Champions League, and Ancelotti has plenty to ponder ahead of the Group B fixture.

"Bale is fine, Fabio [Coentrao], Jese and [Dani] Carvajal are not available. [Asier] Illarramendi and [Sami] Khedira aren't either, but Bale is alright," he said on Monday.

"I will decide [on Bale's] presence in the starting line-up tomorrow.

"My only doubt is whether to put Bale on from the start and also whether to rest a few of the players who have accumulated a lot of games. I'll decide tomorrow."

Tuesday's match could also see Cristiano Ronaldo make yet more history, as he is just one adrift of Real icon Raul's all-time Champions League goalscoring record.

Ballon d'Or holder Ronaldo scored in Real's 3-0 win at Anfield last month to take him to 70 goals in Europe's premier club competition, but Ancelotti claims the Portuguese is focused solely on his side's bid to seal qualification from their pool.

"He's not thinking about Raul's record," Ancelotti continued.

"Yes, of course he could beat it tomorrow but this isn't his last Champions League game - he is thinking only about the team.

"I always have to talk about Cristiano and it’s getting hard for me to find new things to say about him, he is such a fantastic player."

Jorge

Alfrescian
Loyal

Mascherano worried after Celta defeat

1 November 2014

javier-mascherano-barcelona-la-liga_fo1k1gz8gvrs1a41dknkvzfhx.jpg

Javier Mascherano has admitted to being worried after Barcelona's shock 1-0 defeat at home to Celta Vigo on Saturday.

Luis Enrique's side had been hoping to bounce back from their 3-1 humbling at the hands of Real Madrid in last week's El Clasico, but Celta proved a formidable opponent.

Despite losing, Barca dominated proceedings at Camp Nou, with Lionel Messi and Neymar hitting the crossbar no fewer than four times between them.

Mascherano acknowledged that Barca had little difficulty in creating chances on Saturday, but was left concerned by their inability to implement their usual style.

"I think we played a bad game, we never got comfortable," the Argentinian told Canal Plus.

"Apart from creating scoring chances we weren't able to play our style and that's worrisome.

"Our opponents played well and we saw that some of their situations were generated from turnovers and if you want to play for this type of club you have to keep fighting.

"These were two losses [Celta and Real Madrid] in two very different games, but we didn't play well.

"[But] all is not lost, on Wednesday we have another very important game [against Ajax in the UEFA Champions League] in order to regain our confidence."

Jorge

Alfrescian
Loyal

Mathieu sidelined by calf injury

2 November 2014

711967header.jpg

Barcelona defender Jeremy Mathieu could miss up to three weeks of action with a calf injury.

The France international played in Barca's 1-0 loss at home to Celta Vigo on Saturday.

However, Barca confirmed the 31-year-old is set for a short spell on the sidelines.

Mathieu will definitely miss Wednesday's UEFA Champions League clash at Ajax as well as Saturday's La Liga clash at Almeria.

He is also unlikely to be involved for France in their friendlies with Albania and Sweden later this month.

"Jeremy Mathieu will miss the next few Barcelona games after picking up an injury in his right calf, which will see him side-lined for two or three weeks," a statement on Barcelona's official website read.

"After starting last night against Celta, the defender is definitely out of the trips to Ajax and Almeria this week, and this probably means he will not be taking any part in the internationals for France the week after.

"Barca return to action on November 22 against Sevilla at Camp Nou, by which time there is a chance that Mathieu will be available for selection again."

MarceloVieira

Alfrescian
Loyal

Rayo Vallecano 2 Eibar 3: Arruabarrena stunner seals victory

3 November 2014

713467header.jpg

​Mikel Arruabarrena's stunning volley was the difference as Eibar edged a five-goal thriller 3-2 against Rayo Vallecano in La Liga on Monday.

The Eibar talisman struck twice in the victory - only their second away from home this season - as they showed fight to come back and rescue all three points at Estadio del Rayo Vallecano.

Arruabarrena gave the visitors the lead from the penalty spot on 37 minutes, and when Federico Piovaccari doubled their lead four minutes after the break victory looked assured.

However, two goals in a minute from Leo Baptistao brought Rayo right back into the game.

The striker's first was a neatly guided header from Lica's left-wing cross, and straight from the kick-off he doubled his tally, converting a low cross from Gael Kakuta, who is on loan from Chelsea.

Arruabarrena was not to be denied, though, the 31-year-old meeting Abraham Minero's whipped cross with a sumptuous volley into the top corner, giving David Cobena no chance.

The win lifts Eibar back into the top 10, while Rayo slip down to 12th after a second defeat in a row.

MarceloVieira

Alfrescian
Loyal

Real Sociedad confirm Moyes talks

5 November 2014

715443header.jpg

Former Manchester United manager David Moyes is on a four-man shortlist for the coach's job at Real Sociedad, their president has confirmed.

Moyes has been out of work since he was sacked at Old Trafford in April, just 10 months into a six-year contract, having replaced legendary boss Alex Ferguson.

The Scot recently professed he was ready to get back into work, having snubbed offers since his departure from United.

And that return could now come at Anoeta, with the San Sebastian club's supremo Jokin Aperribay confirming talks with Moyes had been held, as well as former West Brom boss Pepe Mel, to replace the recently sacked Jagoba Arrasate.

He told EFE: "It's true about Mel, it's true about Moyes, but we're also talking with more managers and maybe there will be more than that.

"We are talking with all that are on the shortlist and we want them to know how we operate, giving them knowledge of Real Sociedad, from the respect, to the philosophy and the youth academy.

"We really like the four, each with their own style, and there are some things that we really like a lot about them."

Moyes went toe-to-toe with the Spanish club in his short United reign - beating them 1-0 at Old Trafford in last season's UEFA Champions League group stage before a 0-0 draw in the Basque Country.