• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Craft Beers

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
Over the last few months, I've reduced the quantity of beer I consumed, but changed the product drunk to craft beers, preferring the dark and amber ales to my previous regular lagers. They cost more, but the reduced quantity consumed doesn't put a dent in my pocket, and I still enjoy my booze. Not available at regular pubs, I buy them from a beer shop in Liang Court called Thirsty.com. Stumbled upon this article which mentions US exports to Singapore and Hong Kong have seen the most dramatic increased recently. Anyone here into craft beers as well? From where do you purchase your beers?

Cheers!

http://www.ibtimes.com/record-number-us-breweries-sending-more-beer-abroad-1630476

Record Number Of US Breweries Sending More Beer Abroad

By Kathleen [email protected]@ibtimes.com
on July 16 2014 5:07 PM

The number of U.S. craft breweries is the highest it's been since the late 1800s. But this time, their market is a little bigger. Growing international demand for fashionable American booze is boosting exports for small-time brewers.
Last year more than 3,000 breweries were operating in the United States, according to data from the American Brewers Association, a nonprofit trade group that represents small and independent craft brewers.
“The majority of Americans live within 10 miles of a local brewery,” Bart Watson, the group’s chief economist, said in a public statement, adding that he expects to see rates go up.
These beers are becoming more popular with the locals, but they’re also finding a market farther from home.
“Exports of American craft beer continue to expand in the international market, reflecting craft brewing’s overall success as an industry,” Bob Pease, chief operating officer of the nonprofit trade association, said in a statement.
Craft beer export volume increased by 49 percent globally in 2013, representing more than 282,000 barrels worth roughly $73 million.
In Italy, U.S. brands are popular, but but the smaller breweries tend to have a business advantage. “Demand for [American craft beers] is a widespread phenomenon in Italy,” said Paola Montiglio, who imports beer in Italy for Spain-based IGAN. “It’s a very fashion-conscious market.”
U.S. export volume increased 46 percent in Western Europe last year, according to ABA data.
“There are more than 500 artisanal brewers in Italy [but] they often struggle to meet demand, while American craft breweries are more reliable,” Montiglio said. Mass-produced brands such as Coors Light are also popular, but Coors pulled out of the Italian market a few years ago. “American beers are a fashion. I get asked for Coors every day, but they [Coors] just don’t want to come back.”
Europeans aren’t the only ones interested. Canada is still the largest market for U.S. brews, but sales to Asia have seen the biggest recent jump.
Last year shipments to Singapore increased 379 percent and rose 150 percent to Hong Kong.
Jason Koehler, owner of the DevilCraft restaurant in Japan, also represents over a dozen American microbreweries in the country. “American craft beer has been available for a long time in limited quantities, but only began growing in popularity when the number of dedicated craft beer bars started to grow,” he said in a recent interview.
“After restaurateurs realized it could make money for them as a drinking and dining concept, it really started to pick up,” he said.

Satyr

Alfrescian
Loyal
Craft beers should be consumed close to where they are brewed. Once they travel long distances I am not sure they taste quite the same. To those used to Tiger these can be quite a revelation.

krafty

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
i am switching from beer to wine...i think it's healthier on a daily basis...but to sum it all, i may one day end up in AA - alcohol anoymous.:o

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yes, agree. These are brewed in small quantities and do not contain preservatives. I think there is a local brand called Jungle Beer somewhere in Sembawang, but if I drink, I avoid driving, so I rationalize this by buying home to drink. Unfortunately, can't have the cake and eat it. Would be nice to live next door to a brewery. As for taste, we have our favorites, but booze is booze, you'd get used to it if there was only one brand available.

Cheers!

Craft beers should be consumed close to where they are brewed. Once they travel long distances I am not sure they taste quite the same. To those used to Tiger these can be quite a revelation.

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
My cousin tried many years ago to switch me from beer to wine. I tried, but didn't enjoy it as much. Reason, you don't chug wine like you do with beers, you don't holler and raise lots of noise with wine like you can with beer. I know wine has gained much acceptance in Sg, but I am a beer guy. Beer goes well with bbq, sports, fishing. Also, with wine, it doesn't look good to behave rowdily and act obnoxious.

Cheers!

i am switching from beer to wine...i think it's healthier on a daily basis...but to sum it all, i may one day end up in AA - alcohol anoymous.:o

krafty

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
alright, so your aim is to be intoxicated, try beer and wine at the same time, i am doing this as a transition phase...:o

My cousin tried many years ago to switch me from beer to wine. I tried, but didn't enjoy it as much. Reason, you don't chug wine like you do with beers, you don't holler and raise lots of noise with wine like you can with beer. I know wine has gained much acceptance in Sg, but I am a beer guy. Beer goes well with bbq, sports, fishing. Also, with wine, it doesn't look good to behave rowdily and act obnoxious.

Cheers!

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
No, not really. I do actually enjoy drinking beer. Whether I become intoxicated, or more accurately how intoxicated I become just happens to be a result of consequence; I however do enjoy being in that state and do feel I sing and dance better too! I am quite happy to drink beer alone, without the wine. Don't mind too if there are different brands of beer available, I'll be happy to taste them. Won't miss the wine if it is not there. Don't get me wrong, I am not against wine drinking, just that I associate wine more with fine dining, accompanying fine cuisine, not like beer, a down-to-earth thirst quencher, and good times companion dwink.

Cheers!

alright, so your aim is to be intoxicated, try beer and wine at the same time, i am doing this as a transition phase...:o

krafty

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
individual...

No, not really. I do actually enjoy drinking beer. Whether I become intoxicated, or more accurately how intoxicated I become just happens to be a result of consequence; I however do enjoy being in that state and do feel I sing and dance better too! I am quite happy to drink beer alone, without the wine. Don't mind too if there are different brands of beer available, I'll be happy to taste them. Won't miss the wine if it is not there. Don't get me wrong, I am not against wine drinking, just that I associate wine more with fine dining, accompanying fine cuisine, not like beer, a down-to-earth thirst quencher, and good times companion dwink.

Cheers!

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
Craft beer brewers aren't really into growing their business big, they are more concerned with the taste. Many years ago, I visited Cincinnatti (spl?) and had a local beer called Christian Morlein. and only then did I realize that that brand was only sold in that city, and nowhere else. Heineken, Carlsberg, Budweiser, Tiger, Tsingtao and so on are large name branded beers sold worldwide. They are concerned with market share and size and sponsor big events for publicity to achieve a high profile. It's a different game.

Cheers!

No fight lah ! Craft beer lose to Heineken by at least 3 lengths.:o

Equalisation

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Craft beer brewers aren't really into growing their business big, they are more concerned with the taste. Many years ago, I visited Cincinnatti (spl?) and had a local beer called Christian Morlein. and only then did I realize that that brand was only sold in that city, and nowhere else. Heineken, Carlsberg, Budweiser, Tiger, Tsingtao and so on are large name branded beers sold worldwide. They are concerned with market share and size and sponsor big events for publicity to achieve a high profile. It's a different game.

Cheers!

Ok Lah ! Win by 1 length in this case !:o