• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Shawne Wang: On Defending The Indefensible

kryonlight

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
On Defending The Indefensible

Confession: I have defended the government, on many occasions. I have defended policies that seem backward and regressive to others (and even to myself); I have defended actions that come across as conservative and reactionary.

In this day and age, defending the government – which is often erroneously conflated with (1) the PAP and (2) the entire country – is looked upon as a desperately uncool act. Throughout the last election, when anti-government/PAP sentiment was at a fever pitch, I was often dismissed or attacked for sayinganything in defense of the government. I was called an apologist for the government/PAP, even though I maintained that neither institution was perfect. (Nor was the Opposition, for that matter.) A friend of mine, who was voting in Aljunied GRC, the greatest electoral hotbed of them all, was actually accused of hating her country for voting PAP.

Regardless, I soldiered on in my desperately uncool way. Because I had and still have many reasons – some emotional, some intellectual – for defending the government.

Emotionally, I owe this government a lot. I hadn’t thought about it in this way before, until I sat down to write this piece. But I could go so far as to say I owe it a great deal of who I am. I owe it my relatively comfortable childhood and upbringing, because my parents were civil servants. We were not rich, but we were comparatively well-off. It meant, instead of worrying about paying for basic necessities, I was given access to books – to travel – to new, big, different ideas.

I owe this government my education, and thus my outlook on life. I made it through our often punishing education system (mostly) intact. I took an overseas government scholarship exactly fifteen years ago now. I went to Oxford University, and studied the work of ancient philosophers and modern political theorists. There, I learnt to cherish my right to read and think independently. I learnt that there is value to dissent. I learnt the importance of the written word, and the power of literacy.

As a former civil servant, this is what I know: mistakes have been made and policies have been misguided, but there are good people in our government and our civil service, and they do good work. They are working for their country, their people and their home; they aren’t just trying to pull a fast one on unwitting citizens, or cheat them out of their hard-earned money.

I’ve had first-hand encounters with ministers – including PM Lee himself – and they proved themselves to be gracious, thoughtful and intelligent. I made most of my best friends in the civil service, many of whom still work there. I know, for a fact, that we were all working towards a mission: we were all contributing towards this complicated, confusing and confounding country of ours.

Here’s another insight I took away from my eight-and-a-half years as a civil servant. Politics, so they say, is easy – governing is hard. It’s true. Promising radical change while on the campaign trail is easy. Effecting even the most minute change when faced with conflicting interests and bureaucracy is hard. Coming down hard on one side of a debate (particularly a populist debate) is easy. Trying to balance between competing points of view, catering to as many sides as possible, is hard.

And so, intellectually, I had many reasons to defend the government, even when it wasn’t changing fast enough for some (and for me), or changing too quickly for others.

Add it all up, and it has proved easy for me to say – even when specific policies, such as the increasingly insidious censorship of the arts, offend my own sensibilities – that the government is doing what it can in an increasingly difficult political environment. That it is, ultimately, still working for the good of all Singaporeans, even if it must do so with tiny steps rather than large strides forward. I have, effectively, been trained to accept and appreciate compromise as a solution.

The tragic upshot of that, I know now, is that I would have accepted a compromise when it came to resolving the recent controversy over the NLB’s withdrawal and subsequent pulping of three children’s books from its archives. Even though I firmly believe that access to books, information and ideas should be free and unfettered (for humanity has fought too long and too hard for these rights), the good civil servant that still resides in me would have grumbled but made do with solutions like placing an advisory on the books, or re-shelving them in a restricted section of the library. I would have found my way, I suspect, towards defending the government again.

But what has actually transpired is, in every way, indefensible.

It is indefensible that we now live in a country where books can be destroyed. I cannot stress this enough. I am utterly appalled that this regressive decision is the final outcome. I firmly believe that books open the mind and feed the soul, that it’s just as important for them to chronicle outdated and frankly wrong ways of thinking as it is for them to point the way towards enlightenment and the future.

It is indefensible that we now live in a country where a public institution – one with no grounds to act as a moral authority – can decide what constitutes “community norms”, and what books we and our children should have access to read. A library should serve as a neutral repository of knowledge; adults can decide for themselves, and parents should determine for their children, what is suitable reading material.

It is indefensible that we now live in a country where a public institution can and has been hijacked by one particular segment of our community. In my mind, this particular segment of the community is pushing its narrow and bigoted views upon a larger, more moderate and unfortunately silent majority. But this is not purely an LGBT issue; I would be just as upset if the NLB had agreed to withdraw a religious text because someone complained that it offended their irreligious sensibilities.

Minister Yaacob Ibrahim, in defending the actions of the NLB, has claimed that the decision was taken according to due process, and that it was “guided by community norms”. I have seen no evidence supporting either of these claims. How did the NLB’s “due process” allow the books to get on the shelves in the first place? Why and how was it decided that they should be pulled from circulation, within two days no less? (Any civil servant will tell you that the wheels of bureaucracy do not turn that quickly.) How were these “norms” decided upon? What consultation process resulted in these standards of which I am unaware? I am a part of this community, too, and these “norms” are not mine – and certainly not the norms of many people I love very much.

For most of my life and career, I have defended the government and the civil service. Even today, I will defend some of my friends within the NLB, whom I know did not agree with the final decision, but had no choice but to comply with the line taken by senior management.

But this, I have found, is truly indefensible. This government I have defended, even when I did not agree with its policies and actions, has crossed a red line. It has lost my vote today, but worst of all, I think it has lost my faith.

------------
If we the silent majority do not voice our concerns, very soon our rights are going to be eroded and dictated by a bunch of schizophrenic fundamentalists. If they can start banning children's books now, they will try to push the limit by banning adult books. Don't cry when they are shafting their Bibles and Korans up your ass. Let's speak up if we do not want Singapore to be the next Brunei.

Book banning by NLB is no longer purely a LGBT issue anymore. Open your eyes.

Poomer

Alfrescian
Loyal
Another 60.1% gong cheebye realizing that there is actually no light at the end of the tunnel.

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
i support the removal of those insidious books from public shelves, where children have easy access to. however, they can remain in pubic shelves, where fags can check them out and shag all they want turning those hideous pages. contrary to the disinformation of the turncoat author, they are not destroyed. :rolleyes:

winnipegjets

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
i support the removal of those insidious books from public shelves, where children have easy access to. however, they can remain in pubic shelves, where fags can check them out and shag all they want turning those hideous pages. contrary to the disinformation of the turncoat author, they are not destroyed. :rolleyes:

Why are you so homophobic? Surprise that the liberalism of California has not gotten to you.

kryonlight

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
gay agenda books must be removed from public shelves but can be checked out from pubic shelves where fist-tight control (no pun intended) is required.

Suppose there is a book "Homosexual animals in real life: a documentary", with real pictures of them getting intimate being shown. Should this book be removed from public shelves?

Satyr

Alfrescian
Loyal
I am the complete opposite to this Shawne guy. I always voted the other way unless the opposition member was a complete dud. I valued my vote too much for that. I had nothing much against the PAP then but I felt history spoke against the longterm well being of a country if it remained a one party state. You can call this the Sylvia Lim position.
On the NLB issue I am completely with the government. The books are meant to tell kids that alternative family structures are completely natural. I can bet there are no books in the NLB kids section to promote the conventional family structure. Why must there be books to promote the alternative.

The vehemence of the writer on this issue makes me wonder if he is gay. That in itself is nothing wrong. But it would explain why an intelligent guy has this blind spot.

Last edited:

kryonlight

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The vehemence of the writer on this issue makes me wonder if he is gay.

I am flabbergasted that anyone who speaks against the banning is labeled as gay. Obviously, you don't even comprehend the statement:

A library should serve as a neutral repository of knowledge; adults can decide for themselves, and parents should determine for their children, what is suitable reading material.

mojito

Alfrescian
Loyal
See? These civil service types, even when they are writing a letter to the press, must haolian and tell the whole world he graduated from the venerable Oxford, like he is afraid people might mistake him for the common riff-raff!

jw5

Loyal
Yalor........................................................... :biggrin:

See? These civil service types, even when they are writing a letter to the press, must haolian and tell the whole world he graduated from Oxford, like he is afraid people might misrake him for the common riff-raff!

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Suppose there is a book "Homosexual animals in real life: a documentary", with real pictures of them getting intimate being shown. Should this book be removed from public shelves?

homosexuality among animals occur when their natural instincts for sex overpower their lack of intellect and sentience in their lack of brains. younger lions which are chased out of the pride by the alpha male copulate amongst themselves out of sexual urge than natural affinity for sex with lionesses. given the chance, they will sneak into prides and fuck all the lionesses, including mom, aunties, and siblings. same with male animals confined in zoos. animals in coerced situations do not represent normality, and animal barbaric and abnormal behavior including violence and killing is no hunky dory subject matter for the impressionable minds of children. it's almost the same thing as not showing a tiger grabbing an ah neh out of his boat and tearing the unlucky neh apart. these are abnormalies (they are real), but they are best left confined to the domains of adults. the wild animal kingdom and law of the jungle are extremely violent, gut-wrenching, and shocking realities for children to grasp and understand. more than 90% of wild animal behavior content is about death, destruction, and killing of their young. how cum these contents are not in children books? why must your so called "homosexual animals in real life" be so special to escape exclusion from such books? :rolleyes:

kryonlight

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
homosexuality among animals occur when their natural instincts for sex overpower their lack of intellect and sentience in their lack of brains.

It's still homosexuality by any definition.

it's almost the same thing as not showing a tiger grabbing an ah neh out of his boat and tearing the unlucky neh apart. these are abnormalies (they are real), but they are best left confined to the domains of adults.

And so adults can read about violent animals, but they can't read gay agenda books, which must be removed from public shelves?

more than 90% of wild animal behavior content is about death, destruction, and killing of their young. how cum these contents are not in children books?

By definition, public shelves are for adults also. That's what I understand from your signature.

Thick Face Black Heart

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
See? These civil service types, even when they are writing a letter to the press, must haolian and tell the whole world he graduated from the venerable Oxford, like he is afraid people might mistake him for the common riff-raff!

Very sadly, I have to agree with you. What has his education got to do with the content of his letter, which can very well stand on its own substance?

That, and his prosaic boast of being a diehard PAP supporter, is disappointing.

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
It's still homosexuality by any definition.

And so adults can read about violent animals, but they can't read gay agenda books, which must be removed from public shelves?

By definition, public shelves are for adults also. That's what I understand from your signature.

i accept the existence of homosexuality as i live in the crucible and hotbed of it all, harvey milk and what not. we cannot deny it's existence as history has shown us it was practice of royalty and generals in ancient times. jap daimyos kept page boys when they were out on campaigns, and that was because women and concubines were not allowed to accompany them. greek and macedonian warriors paired themselves in a buddy system where their childhood lovers trained and fought from young to adulthood in military campaigns. just like butches and dominant gay partners who are overly protective of their lovers, these part-time homosexuals were the fiercest and most dangerous warriors. but, they did it part-time and out of clan, tribe, state or national survival. in peacetime, they returned to their wives and concubines, reproduced and continued their bloodlines.

adults should learn all about the violent nature of wild animals and the law of the jungle. in libraries, there are children's sections dedicated for childish books. why would a child browse through adult sections and mature books is beyond me. :rolleyes:

in my library, public shelves are for everyone except those with a gay agenda. pubic shelves are for adults. :p

DuYunQi

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I read about the 2 penguins.. and it was reported that one of the male penguins eventually mated with a female penguin.
Was this written in the book?
Plus, if the zoo people didn't give the 2 penguins an egg, they could never produce one themselves.. can children understand why male and male can't produce offspring? Is this not adult themed issues?
If nay-sayers of the ban continue to believe that children.. yes CHILDREN, should be exposed to adult thmed stuff, then please go to a country where your views are the norm. Don't flood us or force us to accept your weird and disturbing ideas.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
This letter truly got me excited. SO much passion, blood and guts delivery and as I was reading it I thought has referring to the CPF or maybe the abuse of the litigation process and the courts and then the anti-climax - banned NLB books.

What a clown, go to Oxford, scholar and yet made a mountain out of molehill about banned books.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
It needs to fit a desired outcome.

I read about the 2 penguins.. and it was reported that one of the male penguins eventually mated with a female penguin.
Plus, if the zoo people didn't give the 2 penguins an egg, they could never produce one themselves.. can children understand why male and male can't produce offspring? Is this not adult themed issues?
If nay-sayers of the ban continue to believe that children.. yes CHILDREN, should be exposed to adult thmed stuff, then please go to a country where your views are the norm. Don't flood us or force us to accept your weird and disturbing ideas.

jw5

Loyal
This letter truly got me excited. SO much passion, blood and guts delivery and as I was reading it I thought has referring to the CPF or maybe the abuse of the litigation process and the courts and then the anti-climax - his clones getting zapped.

What a clown Mark Andrew Yeo Kah Ch$ng (aka Scroobal) is, go to Oxford, scholar and yet made a mountain out of molehill about his clones getting zapped.

SgGoneWrong

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Online says silo strayed off with a female after roy and him were chased out of their nest by an aggressive pair and this was after the book was written. If it helps, tango paired up with a female penguin too :biggrin:

Last edited:

frenchbriefs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
at the end of the day,for all the smarts and intelligence he had,with his oxford wit and caliber and breeding,he is still a cocksucker of the PAP.....misguided sense of loyalty despite all the cognitive intelligence and self awareness.....this shows sinkies are born daft and stupido.