• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Taxi Uncles on a Holiday Jaunt - And Good for Them

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Sunday, 18 May 2014

A Short Break to Penang and Hatyai.

To get away from the drudgery of work behind the wheel, six taxi buddies and I took a 5 days break in Penang and Hatyai, last week.

My last visit to Penang was about 20 years ago and Hatyai, 15 years. Among my buddies on this trip, four had almost similar intervals like me and two of them have never visited these two cities.

The number of days and costs were major factors in deciding where to take our break. As you probably know, taxi drivers have to pay rental even when they're not driving and these "self-paid leave" become part of our holiday costs. sigh.

With a small budget of $500, we decided to fly to Penang with a $100 two way ticket and chartered a van at $45 per person from Penang to Hatyai and back. With $100 for hotel at twin sharing for 4 nights, each of us were left with about $255 to spend on food, shopping and fun.

The first thought that most Singaporeans have on visiting Penang is more likely the island’s famed hawker food than its tourist attractions.

On our first night in Penang, we stayed at Hotel Sentral Georgetown and walked across a street onto the famous MacAlister Street of Penang to savour their outstanding culinary of hawker food like chay kwai teow, Hokkien mee, prawn noodle, assam laksa, rojak, oyster omelet, cendol, etc...etc.. With seven staving adults, we were able to order and gorge small potion of about fifteen varieties of Penang most famous hawker food there. Total cost MR300 (S$120) with soft drinks thrown in.

After dinner, we ambled across the street a modern open-air stage infront of our hotel to have our beer and enjoyed young and attractive Chinese singers performing Mandarin and Hokkien pop songs. For audience with cash to spare, they would buy garland of flowers costing MR50 a piece to please their favorite singers. We just enjoyed our beer and the show till midnight.

At 7am the next day, we left in our chartered 11 seats van for a smooth and pleasant four hours drive to Hatyai, with an half hour break along the journey for breakfast. Without prior hotel booking, we purchased our hotel rooms through a hotel booking agency in Hatyai city at 40% discounted price. I now realize we could get a room cheaper than an hotel agent in Hatyai through an advance internet booking at Agoda.com. We stayed at Sakura Grandview Hatyai for S$45 a night.

After a quick check-in, we hurried to have a cheap but delicious buffet lunch at nearby Lee Garden Hotel. As senior citizens, we were given ten percent discount for our meal. Each paid S$5. While walloping our food, we heard that a nearby central police building has been attacked with grenades by Southern Thailand separatists. The police building was engulfed in flame but nobody was injured. We were not perturbed and finished our lunch leisurely, though some buddies received frantic phone calls from their family members checking on their well being.

In the evening, we had a simple Thai dinner and later stomped into a "karaok lounge" in our hotel. With each of us having a seductive female companion pampering us, we finished two bottles of 12 years Chivas Regal (bought at Changi Airport) before midnight. We sung, danced and gentlemanly "misbehaved" like we were young yesterday and there was no tomorrow. After the partying, my buddy, Johnny and I retired to our shared room. Some had to buy an extra room for the night.

Unsurprisingly, the younger ones in our group were spell bounded by the sleaze and glitz of Hatyai city lights and busted their wallets soon enough. They cried for emergency loans the next morning.
Nowadays, my asset is used mainly to drain my bodily fluid, though I did enjoyed the invigorating Thai massages.

On the third day of our holiday, we received the sad news of one of our buddy passing away. He was 52 years old and died the previous night around midnight of a sudden heart attack while ferrying a passenger along PIE.

After leaving his/her fare on the back seat, the nonchalant passenger fled without calling for help. Many motorists, including countless taxi drivers must have noticed the stranded taxi at the shoulder of the expressway and they, like the unconcern passenger, did not stop to check out whether the driver needs help. How about the EMAS (Expressway Monitoring Advisory System) vehicles and highway police patrol cars?. Were they all asleep in the wee hours of the morning? Our buddy's death was discovered 4 hours later after a close buddy checked with COMFORT for his location and went to search for him when he failed to turn up at his usual taxi handover point.

Away from the depressing reality and morbid subject of death, I spend the rest of the morning in a kind of daze. I keep thinking about those lines: "Get busy living, or get busy driving and dying and while we are alive, do we know how to live?. In the end, I think "it matters not how long we live, but how well with whatever we have".

The day was uneventful and we spent it visiting three famous Thai temples, having seafood at Songkhla, massages and shopping at ubiquitous malls and street stalls. The subject of our buddy's death was never mentioned again during the remaining days of our holiday. We did almost the same thing on the last day in Hatyai, eating, shopping and relaxing with facial and body massages. What else could elderly people with shallow pockets like us do?

On the final day of our trip, we left Hatyai hotel at the break of dawn around 5am in our chartered van directly to Penang airport. Initially, we were worried that our chartered van might not turn up as promised and soon discovered our worries were unfounded as Penang van drivers are honorable people. We rewarded him with handsome tips as we are drivers too.

Immigration clearance at Penang airport was efficient and once inside the TigerAirways plane, all my buddies were snoring away. I guess they need to catch up some lost sleep and energy so that they can start their night shift driving the same evening. I took that day off.

It was a great holiday and nice break. Hope to do it again next year to another cheap place.

Thick Face Black Heart

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Very heartwarming story. How they dealt with a buddy's death which was nonchalantly dismissed by fellow Singaporeans and how they managed to have such an adventure on such a small budget.

Thanks for posting.

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
That is the Swiss standard of living promised by the PAP.

I know that many of my former colleagues have ended up driving taxis.

In the 80s and early 90s, they were riding high and were hot shots in MNCs. However, instead of investing their money wisely, they bought Mercs and fancy Condos that cost the earth all for the sake of showing off that they had "made it".

A few of them actually made a huge amount of money when their units went "en-bloc".

So why have they ended up penniless and have to drive taxis for a living?

The answer is "greed" and "vanity". When money is too easy to come by, it is also easily lost.

You cannot blame the PAP for that.

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
What is a man with such good command of language doing as a taxi driver?

Can the system not use his abilities and talents more fully?

A classic case of assigning blame to an intangible, faceless entity known as "the system".

A far more pertinent question would be "Can he not use his abilities and talents far more productively?".

If the answer is no, then he has to do some self analysis.

You can't blame the PAP for the failings of an individual.

wendychan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
last week supposed to be dining wheel chair style in USA....?

one of the biggest coward hypocirte liars aorund

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
last week supposed to be dining wheel chair style in USA....?

one of the biggest coward hypocirte liars aorund

no lah. it was someone else's story. he's notorious for reposting as though it is his own (plagiarizing) without citing link or original author. he did that to sumiko's hubby so much so that many on sbf thought he was the quek quek divorcee from the uk. :wink:

the clue is in the title. "....good for them"

wendychan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
no lah. it was someone else's story. he's notorious for reposting as though it is his own (plagiarizing) without citing link or original author. he did that to sumiko's hubby so much so that many on sbf thought he was the quek quek divorcee from the uk. :wink:

the clue is in the title. "....good for them"

can be
sued for plagiarizing
hor

wendychan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
taxi uncles wouldn't care. they have been screwed by everyone, and they can only take out their frustrations on hookers in haatyai or bicyclists sharing the road. :p

well the taxi uncles only need to pay the lawyers and sign the documents like affidavits. other people can direct the show from the background.

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
well the taxi uncles only need to pay the lawyers and sign the documents like affidavits. other people can direct the show from the background.

who cares? i like to thank scroo for posting it, with or without citation. otherwise, i wouldn't know haatyai is so cheap and fun. must make a trip there with sbf buddies and you included. :p

wendychan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
who cares? i like to thank scroo for posting it, with or without citation. otherwise, i wouldn't know haatyai is so cheap and fun. must make a trip there with sbf buddies and you included. :p

been there a few times on the bicycle already

as for who cares. well for some reason i do lor
i mean like him, i asked around and was told some nasty things about him

wonder if he has a chance to proof the truthfulness of what i heard in a court of law

he misled all into his goodness by his postings, so i ASKED AROUND hor

erection2015

Alfrescian (InfP) + C
count me in...i am the mother of all cheapos...cheap and good i like.....cheaper but no good i like even more.