• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Shanmmugam - Too inconvenient to consult population for constitutional changes!

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
The day when you say its inconvenient to exercise democracy (even if its in the form of a referendum), than that's the day u admit you have a dictatorship running the country.

You need some education you twit.

The majority of democracies around the world are REPRESENTATIVE democracies.

The sort where everything is decided by referendum is known as a DIRECT democracy.

Switzerland is the only country I know where direct democracy works and this is because of the calibre of the electorate. The fact that they voted down a ridiculous minimum wage proposal shows that the majority of the Swiss understand economics very well.

Implement government by referendum in countries like Singapore where the majority of the electorate are peasants and simpletons and you're just asking for trouble.

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset

The sort where everything is decided by referendum is known as a DIRECT democracy.

Switzerland is the only country I know where direct democracy works and this is because of the calibre of the electorate. The fact that they voted down a ridiculous minimum wage proposal shows that the majority of the Swiss understand economics very well.

Implement government by referendum in countries like Singapore where the majority of the electorate are peasants and simpletons and you're just asking for trouble.

I am surprised u can say "twit" with your mouthful of PAP cum.

Yingge

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

If you have a opposition MP who request to allow protest to train our SOC... It shows that Singapore is not ready for direct democracies...:biggrin:

tanwahtiu

Alfrescian
Loyal
Excuse me, do not speak of the mass that they are not intelligent enough? People have peers and professionals which they can attend organized meeting and functions to hear the views. People are not dumb and through times they will become informed and this is where they learn.

With threats and intimidations from the rank and files system in the PAP the ministers have to just give in and as such they do not represent themselves or speak for the people. Best is to take it to the people and let the voters decide.

Speak for yourself only please.

I fully agree with the Honorable Minister.

There is little point holding a referendum because the majority of Singaporeans are not well informed or intelligent enough to have an in depth understanding of constitutional issues and how they affect the country as a whole. It would be like a doctor asking his patient to decide what sort of drugs to administer.

Such matters are best left to the leaders of the countries. They are elected to do the job of running the country which is complex and challenging task. They are in the best position to manage the contents of the constitution.

Poomer

Alfrescian
Loyal
If you have a opposition MP who request to allow protest to train our SOC... It shows that Singapore is not ready for direct democracies...:biggrin:

We have ruling party MPs talking about dirty ceilings to undermine the integrity of the opposition too. Passes off lifechanging policies with nary a consultation, remember 6.9m? It shows that Singapore is better off as a direct democracy.

Poomer

Alfrescian
Loyal

That proves that the Swiss have a better standard of living than Singaporeans. When they are earning proverty wages.

kingrant

Alfrescian
Loyal
Sam is a real twat. We are here talking about changes to laws related to the Constitution. we are not talking about taking every decision to the polls. If PAP decides to install LHL as Emperor and abolish democratic elections, then it's inconvenient or so I understand it. So we let them do it?

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
We have ruling party MPs talking about dirty ceilings to undermine the integrity of the opposition too. Passes off lifechanging policies with nary a consultation, remember 6.9m? It shows that Singapore is better off as a direct democracy.

going to a population of 6.9 million should have been put to a referendum. Its the perfect issue for referendum. As to the too costly portion, many countries include several issues on the referendum. For example, you can have a referendum with the following questions on the ballot: Vote yes or no for the following:

1) Population to be increased to 6.9 million
2) Medishield life to be compulsory for all

U can add many more issues to one referendum.

3_M

Alfrescian
Loyal

The referendum only apply to amendment of the constitutions and not implementation of govt policies u twit! Govt is free to increase GST to 20%, raise their own pay, introduce minimum wage for as long they get the votes of simple majority in parliament. When it comes to amendment of constitution, like introducing GRC, Presidential election, a national referendum is require as stipulated in the constitution. What the point of having a constitution when govt don't intend to follow? Might as well revert back to the law of the jungle

rushifa666

Alfrescian
Loyal
Dear ah Sam, then please explain to me why there is now a bug push for a referendum in UK to leave the EU? Why too is there a referendum for Scottish independence? You bow to the will of the people that's why. Or you commit political suicide. No one is suggesting a referendum for every decision. But things like this which screw the people over should.

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Correct. Referendum is a time consuming and costly affair. The Govt makes the decision and the Parliament approves the bill to execute it. The referendum on joining Malaysia is an exception as it involves giving up sovereignty of sinkapoo to become a part of another country.

I hope to see within my lifetime a referendum on rejoining Malaysia. May Forest City and the Tanjung Pelapas Port do in Sinkieland! :biggrin:

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The referendum only apply to amendment of the constitutions and not implementation of govt policies u twit! Govt is free to increase GST to 20%, raise their own pay, introduce minimum wage for as long they get the votes of simple majority in parliament. When it comes to amendment of constitution, like introducing GRC, Presidential election, a national referendum is require as stipulated in the constitution. What the point of having a constitution when govt don't intend to follow? Might as well revert back to the law of the jungle

That's precisely the point. The Singapore Constitution is not worth the paper it is printed on, or in digital form, the bytes of storage it sits on. If you don't believe me, go read it. Seriously, go read it on the Statutes website. Does it guarantee civil liberties of citizens? Everything is conditional, subject to change by their discretion. :rolleyes:

3_M

Alfrescian
Loyal
That's precisely the point. The Singapore Constitution is not worth the paper it is printed on, or in digital form, the bytes of storage it sits on. If you don't believe me, go read it. Seriously, go read it on the Statutes website. Does it guarantee civil liberties of citizens? Everything is conditional, subject to change by their discretion. :rolleyes:

It really up to some brave soul to mount a constitutional challenge in court. If successful, it may perhaps render the Elected Presidency and GRC illegal because no referendum was held when the law requires it.

virus

Alfrescian
Loyal
I fully agree with the Honorable Minister.

There is little point holding a referendum because the majority of Singaporeans are not well informed or intelligent enough to have an in depth understanding of constitutional issues and how they affect the country as a whole. .

10269640_849212155093774_8587320819107244977_n.jpg

how you managed to convince yourself they r ignorant?

kukubird58

Alfrescian
Loyal
The day when you say its inconvenient to exercise democracy (even if its in the form of a referendum), than that's the day u admit you have a dictatorship running the country.
hahaha...the empty vessel whines again....
in this case, scroobye has more brain than u when he said it is obvious u cannot govern a country by referendum....
u are better off making wild allegations...lol.