• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Anyone of you do non religious meditation?

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The Buddha highly recommends the breath. (om and music are not mentioned in the Theravada scriptures)

If you keep on focusing on the breath, it can become so subtle and fine until it eventually disappears. Yet, you feel so peaceful and tranquil. That state is so much better than sex.

not a buddhist but i wonder if those in religion meditate for a different purpose compared to those with no religious purposes.

kryonlight

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
not a buddhist but i wonder if those in religion meditate for a different purpose compared to those with no religious purposes.

I would say there is no difference. Many people meditate to find relieve from daily stress, whether mental or physical. If you read the opening of the sutta which I quoted, the Buddha said:

"This is the direct path ... for the disappearance of pain (physical) & distress (mental)"

As you said, meditation increases your alertness and awareness, which is also a goal of Buddhist meditation training.

The Buddha enhanced meditation by formulating a way to permanently end all stress.

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I would say there is no difference. Many people meditate to find relieve from daily stress, whether mental or physical. If you read the opening of the sutta which I quoted, the Buddha said:

"This is the direct path ... for the disappearance of pain (physical) & distress (mental)"

As you said, meditation increases your alertness and awareness, which is also a goal of Buddhist meditation training.

The Buddha enhanced meditation by formulating a way to permanently end all stress.

Another reason for meditation is to control your emotions. like many people out there allow their life circumstances to piss them off like they encounter something and it makes them happy or sad while meditation allows them to feel happy or calm throughout

kryonlight

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Another reason for meditation is to control your emotions. like many people out there allow their life circumstances to piss them off like they encounter something and it makes them happy or sad while meditation allows them to feel happy or calm throughout

That's also included in the sutta under feelings. It's easier to control your emotions once you are made more aware of their arising and subsequent passing away. You will start to see that they are something that is "external" to you.

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
That's also included in the sutta under feelings. It's easier to control your emotions once you are made more aware of their arising and subsequent passing away. You will start to see that they are something that is "external" to you.

I see it seems that this type of teaching is already well known amongst Buddhists. Is meditation well associated with religion? Seems like when you talk about it people think of Buddhism and it might turn those whom don't want to be Buddhists away

kryonlight

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I see it seems that this type of teaching is already well known amongst Buddhists. Is meditation well associated with religion? Seems like when you talk about it people think of Buddhism and it might turn those whom don't want to be Buddhists away

I can't answer you whether meditation is well associated with religion. I see meditation as a tool that is beneficial both for the body and the mind. If people find the tool useful, there is no reason not to employ it in their daily lives. The Buddha does not hold the patent for meditation. It just so happened he discovered meditation as an essential tool towards his enlightenment.

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
http://www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread679265/pg4

Opening of 3rd eye through mediation.

It's like half science half fiction.

It activates the pineal gland i read yet how can that allow someone to have the 3rd eye?

You start to have psychic like abilities?

Sounds scientific at first and then becomes like science fiction.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/CvME_EylPXU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>