• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Cleaner cheated of $400,000

Scrooball (clone)

Alfrescian
Loyal
ST_20140706_BSWOMAN06D3UL_468821e.jpg

BY BRYNA SINGH
More than 70 people who read about how Madam Goh Kah Keow was cheated of her life savings by con artists have come forward to help the cleaner.

Most of them offered to donate money to the 74-year-old, who was swindled of about $400,000 in cash and jewellery by five China nationals last November.

Two of the five suspects have since been sentenced to jail for more than eight years for the scam. The other three remain at large.

Madam Goh never married, lives alone in a studio flat and leads a frugal life. She would even, for example, go to bed by 7pm to save on her utility bills.

She started earning her own keep from the tender age of 10; first as a babysitter, then as a washerwoman. She was also a factory worker for a while and took on a host of cleaning jobs.

"I would work on Saturdays and Sundays. Sometimes, I would try to pack in three different cleaning jobs one after another, just to earn extra cash," she said.

She now works part-time for two cleaning companies and earns $700 a month.

Her story in last weekend's SundayLife! was shared more than 26,500 times on Facebook. Many also wrote in to The Straits Times to say their hearts went out to her.

Besides offering cash - one couple sent a cheque for $1,000 for Madam Goh - and groceries, five readers also said they wanted to pay for her massage sessions. This after they read that Madam Goh had rheumatic knees, which needed regular therapy that cost $40 for each session.

Said web designer Dennis Lim, 35: "I've seen my grandmother and mother suffer from bad knees, so I felt it was only right to try and pay for Madam Goh's massage bills."

Initially, Madam Goh declined the help and donations. "If I take the money, I have no way of repaying their kindness - I don't want that," she said, adding that she was also afraid that "people may take my money again".

She did, however, change her mind a few days later, after speaking to her elder sister and a friend, who encouraged her to accept the help.

"They told me not to be afraid and take the money because I am already so old," she said in Mandarin. "How many more years can I keep on working?"

Madam Goh told The Sunday Times that she is resigned to not getting her money back.

Her greatest fear now is dying at home alone and penniless.

One of her friends, Ms Linda Tan, 50, however, promised Madam Goh that she would not let that happen.

"I've known her for more than 20 years and she's like a mother to me, said Ms Tan. "I see it as my duty to take care of her."

[email protected]

- See more at: http://www.straitstimes.com/news/si...eaders-offer-help-201407#sthash.IXdM6vhN.dpuf

makapaaa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
leehsienloongpointingfingers_zpsefb36004.jpg

Stop braming my FT pets! Count yourself for being stupid! I challenge you to vote me out! *chey*

frenchbriefs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
ahahaahahaaahaha stupid!!!!!who ask u dont be the wife of pinky???????if u are member of the familee,even if u are daft and stupid and lose all ur money and other people's money,u will still be praised for ur intelligence and business acumen and given millions in compensation!!!!

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
has anyone asked why would an old woman with $400k in savings not retire and enjoy her sunset years but instead continue to work as a cleaner? :confused:

mojito

Alfrescian
Loyal
has anyone asked why would an old woman with $400k in savings not retire and enjoy her sunset years but instead continue to work as a cleaner? :confused:

Indeed, this shows that even a cleaner can have 400k in her savings in PAP governed singapore. Sinkies should stop whining and start clearing those plates from dirty tables.

palden

Alfrescian
Loyal
Might as well put in CPF.

ST_20140706_BSWOMAN06D3UL_468821e.jpg

BY BRYNA SINGH
More than 70 people who read about how Madam Goh Kah Keow was cheated of her life savings by con artists have come forward to help the cleaner.

Most of them offered to donate money to the 74-year-old, who was swindled of about $400,000 in cash and jewellery by five China nationals last November.

Two of the five suspects have since been sentenced to jail for more than eight years for the scam. The other three remain at large.

Madam Goh never married, lives alone in a studio flat and leads a frugal life. She would even, for example, go to bed by 7pm to save on her utility bills.

She started earning her own keep from the tender age of 10; first as a babysitter, then as a washerwoman. She was also a factory worker for a while and took on a host of cleaning jobs.

"I would work on Saturdays and Sundays. Sometimes, I would try to pack in three different cleaning jobs one after another, just to earn extra cash," she said.

She now works part-time for two cleaning companies and earns $700 a month.

Her story in last weekend's SundayLife! was shared more than 26,500 times on Facebook. Many also wrote in to The Straits Times to say their hearts went out to her.

Besides offering cash - one couple sent a cheque for $1,000 for Madam Goh - and groceries, five readers also said they wanted to pay for her massage sessions. This after they read that Madam Goh had rheumatic knees, which needed regular therapy that cost $40 for each session.

Said web designer Dennis Lim, 35: "I've seen my grandmother and mother suffer from bad knees, so I felt it was only right to try and pay for Madam Goh's massage bills."

Initially, Madam Goh declined the help and donations. "If I take the money, I have no way of repaying their kindness - I don't want that," she said, adding that she was also afraid that "people may take my money again".

She did, however, change her mind a few days later, after speaking to her elder sister and a friend, who encouraged her to accept the help.

"They told me not to be afraid and take the money because I am already so old," she said in Mandarin. "How many more years can I keep on working?"

Madam Goh told The Sunday Times that she is resigned to not getting her money back.

Her greatest fear now is dying at home alone and penniless.

One of her friends, Ms Linda Tan, 50, however, promised Madam Goh that she would not let that happen.

"I've known her for more than 20 years and she's like a mother to me, said Ms Tan. "I see it as my duty to take care of her."

[email protected]

- See more at: http://www.straitstimes.com/news/si...eaders-offer-help-201407#sthash.IXdM6vhN.dpuf

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Indeed, this shows that even a cleaner can have 400k in her savings in PAP governed singapore. Sinkies should stop whining and start clearing those plates from dirty tables.

while jap, korean, and taiwanese pensioners and elders enjoy their retirement by keeping pets, traveling, and dining well, sinkie elders are hoarding cash yet continue to work like robots until they drop dead. enjoying life and exploring the world are never part of their post-war psyche. they're constantly in servitude coolie mode, even though they have hundreds of thousands of dollars stashed away. my mom, aunties, and their friends are all like that. it's a phenomenon mostly among old sinkie women who survive the war. younger sinkies are ignorant of this and do not create businesses and enterprise to offer services to open up this untapped cash-rich market segment, but instead kpkb about not having enough money to buy a car. obviously, the more resourceful tiongs found out about this uniquely sinkie phenomenon and exploited it right away. :wink:

SAMMMYBOY

Alfrescian
Loyal
My 80+yrs old neighbour works as an office tea lady eventhough her daughter and son-in-law salary are more than 15K a month.
yet when she fell ill, she saved busfare by walking from the clinic 1km away.
just wonder why thrifty until like that?

frenchbriefs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

actually it shows sinkies are daft and stupid...even if by some miracle they manage to save up a tidy sum of money,they still manage to lose it all....sinkies deserve to have their money locked up in cpf,sinkies deserve to have their money cheated by the government policies and by fts,sinkies deserve to have their country and their freedom taken from them......sinkies are born brainless and ignorant and even education can only do so much for stupid people...truly never have seen anything more stupid than a bunch of estupido idiotas sinkies.

look at this dumb specimen....u can tell even dumb people know how to scimp and save and be frugal,but they have no idea what to do with their money nor how to protect their capital......fucking hell.....u guys want to blame it on education but Li ka shing was also uneducated(left school at age 14) thanks to the world war....but he still had a appetite for knowledge and educated himself with countless of books and went on to be the richest man in asia.....a daft and stupid sinkie will always be daft and stupid.

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
My 80+yrs old neighbour works as an office tea lady eventhough her daughter and son-in-law salary are more than 15K a month.
yet when she fell ill, she saved busfare by walking from the clinic 1km away.
just wonder why thrifty until like that?

can't believe it myself either. there's this old sinkie woman who fully paid for her hdb flat, has hundreds of thousands stashed away in her home, and now put up with a daughter who kpkb all day about having to house her. her hdb flat is occupied by one of her grandsons who just got married and need a place for him and his bride. the couple chased away the granny. she refuses to spend her cash savings, thinking it's sacrosanct and untouchable. so she lives hand to mouth eeking a living by collecting boxes and cardboards. lately, her health prevents her from doing her "work", so she stays home "cleaning" her daughter's flat. the place is a cluttering mess. the most dangerous chore for old ladies is climbing a chair to clean a shelf or window and falling off it, breaking the hip. yet it happens all the time in sg. she fell, but luckily hip was ok, yet she refuses to see the doc. taking a cab is a luxury. if she gets into an aircon cab, she starts crying as it's too luxurious for her. now, she's asking my friend (her daughter) in the bay area who's retired to spend more time with her in sg and help pay for her subsistence as daughters and sons in sg are not giving her angpow. meanwhile, she still remembers where her hundreds of thousands are, yet she refuses to touch them....stashed in bags and boxes deep in clutter in her own hdb flat. :rolleyes:

you can never help sinkies like these. and btw, my mom and aunties are exactly like her. their brains are hardwired. :*:

Timerty

Alfrescian
Loyal

These kind of Chinese religious sinkies want their goddess of mercy to reward them for their hard work when they kick bucket. They think hardwork can let them go to heaven. So they wayang all the way try to act hardworking like the PAP, even enjoy a little they think is sinful, just like the retarded catholic nuns who live their whole lives being of 'service'. That is their pathetic meaning of life. Dumb as fuck mindless working slaves who are trapped in their ignorant sinkiehole.

looneytan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
meanwhile, she still remembers where her hundreds of thousands are, yet she refuses to touch them....stashed in bags and boxes deep in clutter in her own hdb flat. :rolleyes:

you can never help sinkies like these. and btw, my mom and aunties are exactly like her. their brains are hardwired. :*:
you better find out from your mom where she buried her Milo tin.