• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Financial times correspondent: My family & i were kicked out of singapore

makapaaa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
[h=1]FINANCIAL TIMES CORRESPONDENT: ME AND MY FAMILY WAS KICKED OUT OF SINGAPORE[/h]
<!-- /.block --> <style>.node-article .field-name-ad-box-in-article {float: left;margin: 15px 15px 10px 0;}.node-article .field-tags{clear: both;}</style> Post date:
3 Jul 2014 - 8:13pm

<ins style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; border: currentColor; width: 336px; height: 280px; display: inline-table; visibility: visible; position: relative; background-color: transparent; border-image: none;"><ins id="aswift_1_anchor" style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; border: currentColor; width: 336px; height: 280px; display: block; visibility: visible; position: relative; background-color: transparent; border-image: none;"><iframe name="aswift_1" width="336" height="280" id="aswift_1" frameBorder="0" marginWidth="0" marginHeight="0" scrolling="no" vspace="0" hspace="0" allowfullscreen="true" style="left: 0px; top: 0px; position: absolute;" allowTransparency="true"></iframe></ins></ins>

By John Burton

It was December 2009 and my family and I were looking forward to celebrating Christmas. Instead we soon found ourselves scrambling to pack up our home in Singapore. The government had given us two weeks to leave the country, where we had been living for the past eight years, after the authorities refused to renew our residence permits.
I had no doubt that the government was taking retribution for my "critical" articles about Singapore as the correspondent for the Financial Times. I knew I was in trouble several weeks earlier when I went to the Ministry of Manpower, which is in charge of issuing work/residence permits for foreigners, to inquire about delays in my permit renewal process, which I had to undergo every year.

I sat down with a ministry official and his eyes grew wider and wider as he reviewed my file on his computer screen. "You have to take me out for a beer sometime and tell me what you have been up to," he laughed. "Why?" I asked. "Well, there appears to be several other government agencies involved in reviewing your application," he replied. I knew then that the jig was up as I mentally reviewed the likely candidates: The Prime Minister's Office? The Internal Security Department?
So I had already braced myself for bad news when the letter from the Ministry finally arrived, informing us that we had to leave. I had hoped that the government would at least spare my 11-year-old daughter, who was an honors student at the Singapore American School (SAS), and allow her to finish the school year by issuing her a student visa. But it was not to be and she became the first enrolled SAS student in five years not to have her student visa renewed.
So on Christmas Eve, we suddenly found ourselves back in a snowy Seoul, where I had been the FT correspondent in the 1990s, without, for the moment, a job or a place to live.

The usually thin-skinned Singapore government was apparently in a particularly sour mood at the time. Not only was I booted out, but so were the Dow Jones bureau chief and the Economist correspondent when their residence visas were also not renewed.

Of course, my experience pales in comparison to the violence and death that are meted out to journalists in some countries. I recount this episode to illustrate how vulnerable journalists can be to political pressure and how easy it is for authorities to disrupt their lives. And such actions are not confined to Singapore and other countries with an authoritarian-style government.

When I was working in Korea in the 1990s, the government tried to pressure the FT to move me out of the country after I had written stories about corruption allegations involving the son of President Kim Young-sam and a foreign colleague was forced to leave after investigating details about the president's personal life that displeased the government.

When I returned to Korea five years ago, I was under the impression that the country had since then fully embraced its democratic values, including freedom of expression. After all, the country boasted a multiplicity of media outlets, including a large number of newspapers when they were dying elsewhere, as well as a vibrant online community supported by one of the world's most sophisticated Internet infrastructures.

So it was surprising for me to soon realize that media freedom was under threat in Korea just as I witness in Singapore. The Lee Myung-bak administration began censoring online content, particularly that related to North Korea. The use of defamation suits against journalists and online commentators increased, while the government was accused of applying political pressure on broadcast companies. The result was that Freedom House, the respected U.S. institute that monitors press freedom around the world, downgraded Korea from free to partly free.

Unfortunately, these trends have continued under the Park Geun-hye administration, which prompted me to write several columns last year comparing press freedom issues in Korea and Singapore that recently won the Society of Publishers in Asia (SOPA) award for opinion writing.

Press freedom remains under siege. KBS was accused of slanting its coverage of the Sewol disaster to favor the government. The Park administration has further tightened Internet censorship and appointed hardliners to the Korea Communications Standards Commission, the official body responsible for monitoring online content and one of the most important but little known government agencies in Korea. The battle for freedom of expression continues.

John Burton
*The author is a former Korea correspondent for the Financial Times, is now a Seoul-based independent journalist and media consultant. He can be reached at [email protected]

Dragonhead

Alfrescian
Loyal
....I sat down with a ministry official and his eyes grew wider and wider as he reviewed my file on his computer screen. "You have to take me out for a beer sometime and tell me what you have been up to," he laughed. "Why?" I asked. "Well, there appears to be several other government agencies involved in reviewing your application," he replied. I knew then that the jig was up as I mentally reviewed the likely candidates: The Prime Minister's Office? The Internal Security Department?

This part of the article appears to be an exaggeration. No ICA officer is so dumb to reveal the action taken on this journalist's application. It is a breach of the Official Secrets Act. Want to exaggerate, make it real, don't anyhow bullshit to put that officer's career on the line.

Semaj2357

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
This part of the article appears to be an exaggeration. No ICA officer is so dumb to reveal the action taken on this journalist's application. It is a breach of the Official Secrets Act. Want to exaggerate, make it real, don't anyhow bullshit to put that officer's career on the line.

yeah, the official asked him out for a beer and shoot the breeze....journalistic freedom and innovativeness at it's best.
comparing sinkieland to korea and yet he now makes a living in korea - out of the frying pan into the fire :confused:

winnipegjets

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

We have lots of dumb civil servants. Not many are conversant with the OSA. And how many of them would think that making a lighthearted comment that many people have reviewed a file is a violation of the OSA?

tanakow

Alfrescian
Loyal
Agreed. This DragonHead should be renamed MuddleHead.

We have lots of dumb civil servants. Not many are conversant with the OSA. And how many of them would think that making a lighthearted comment that many people have reviewed a file is a violation of the OSA?

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Absolutely agree. BS of the first order. The ICA Officer would not be so brave in the first place.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
White will be the first to cry mother father after acting tough and preaching the world about standing straight.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yeah, what is the story with Korea??

yeah, the official asked him out for a beer and shoot the breeze....journalistic freedom and innovativeness at it's best.
comparing sinkieland to korea and yet he now makes a living in korea - out of the frying pan into the fire :confused:

THE_CHANSTER

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
With all due respect to John Burton (whose articles on Singapore I have read in the FT with interest), he is lucky not to be one of those Al Jazeera journalists who were recently imprisoned in Egypt for 7 - 10 years.

There are worse places to be a country correspondent.

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

it's a mom official, not an ica officer. mom deals with work permits and employment passes, including those for foreign journalists. ica is under mha, and they deal with immigration, entry points, and customs. must get basic technical details right first for credibility to be established. :wink:

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
With all due respect to John Burton (whose articles on Singapore I have read in the FT with interest), he is lucky not to be one of those Al Jazeera journalists who were recently imprisoned in Egypt for 7 - 10 years.

yes, he should thank his lucky stars for having the pap run sg with compassion and forgiveness. :biggrin:

frenchbriefs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

actually singapore do imprison political dissidents.....just not ang moh ones...

winnipegjets

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Good riddance. Another FT booted out by our Gahment. Kudos and hooray.

This guy is not taking away a job from sinkee. He is a report for a foreign press. I have no problem with foreign reporters here ...in fact, the more the merrier.

Dragonhead

Alfrescian
Loyal

The ICA is a "sensitive" unit of the HA Ministry. If ICA officers are not trained to keep their mouths shut when dealing with members of the public, especially foreigners, the Minister himself is not fit to be placed in charge of the ICA. The top must always take responsibility for the shortcomings of the subordinates.