• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Alamak, PRC Lady Hawker demands Non-chinese to speak Mandarin to her?

GoldenPeriod

Alfrescian
Loyal
That's just rude. Also, one reason why the Hongkies hate the Mainalanders as they refuse to learn or speak Cantonese. When you are in Rome......

Once I was in a Hongkie restaurant and when this guy started asking for something in Mandarin, you can see the waiter and waitress face totally change.

It is pretty understood that in Sinkapore if you are speaking to a person of a different race, you use English. I have never had a malay or keling use Malay or Tamil when dealing with me unless they are positively ancient. Even then, they make an effort.

zeebjii

Alfrescian
Loyal
During my school years the most hated subject was mandarin. Had many school mates who ended up taking french, german or malay as a second language.

Learning a second language is useful but the way LKY forced it on hapless Sporeans school children was wrong. They also tried to force a technical education. Anyone remember having to attend classes for wood work, metal work, & technical drawing:confused:

Typical PAP style, forcing everyone into a single mould. Among my peers no one went into the wood working, metal working, ... I doubt that anyone found a job because of these technical classes.

You friends hated mandarin because they look down on the language. And come on, what's wrong with technical education? It teaches us how things are made. Im sure none of your peers became poets or artists right?

syed putra

Alfrescian
Loyal
totally fine with this. Mandarin is one of the national languages of singapore and besides the only reason why this is news is cause it's a chinese and a foreign chinese asking a non chinese to speak her language. Change it around it a non chinese doing the same to a chinese and no issue at all.

you balik cina!

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
You friends hated mandarin because they look down on the language. And come on, what's wrong with technical education? It teaches us how things are made. Im sure none of your peers became poets or artists right?

In the West, being good at woodwork is usually far more lucrative than being good at physics.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

In places like Canada when mandarin was offered in schools kids would jump at the oppurtunity. Over there learning a language does not incur headaches like tuition, extra home work, punishments for low scores,..
They make learning relevant & fun. Compared to the school system in Spore where learning is all about competing with others for grades. Not all of us are good at the exam game. Know many successful people who did poorly in school.

My memories of learning chinese are negative: getting beaten in class for late assignments, going to the principals office,... My overall results were very good but it was pulled down by my chinese grades. I was not unique, many of my classmates also had trouble with chinese. Not surprising as many of my classmates speak english at home.

With regards to a technical education, one had to attend the extra woodwork & metalwork classes outside of school hours. In other words it was "extra". We had the classes outside of normal school hours. What was worse was that my school did not have a workshop so we all had to go to another school for the workshops. They weren't too happy at having us there, neither were we happy to be there:biggrin:

Nothing wrong with a technical education but I take issue with the way the PAP forced all school children into it. Reminds me of how school children are forced into supporting the YOG(youth Olympic games). Or NS man used to support National days activities. This is just another reason of why the education system is screwed up in Spore. At that time they needed cheap manpower to work at the factories, so they forced everyone to do technical education:rolleyes: We were just cogs in the system.

makapaaa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
1316593368734.jpg

Not happy ah? Can attend American School like what my bright nephew did what! *hee*hee*

frenchbriefs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
im not good at chinese myself but thats pretty damn stupid......u have to ask urself how is it ur born a chinese with chinese blood and family in a chinese society and ang moh kids are beating ur ass in chinese?relevant?fun?

how come u can score well in all ur other subjects except chinese?all the other subjects didnt have to be relevant or fun but u still willingly and eagerly lapped it up anyway.its all a question of mentality and psychology.remember those kids jumped at the opportunity....u didnt think mandarin was anything special....since ur a chinese and u grew up in a chinese society.....

In places like Canada when mandarin was offered in schools kids would jump at the oppurtunity. Over there learning a language does not incur headaches like tuition, extra home work, punishments for low scores,..
They make learning relevant & fun. Compared to the school system in Spore where learning is all about competing with others for grades. Not all of us are good at the exam game. Know many successful people who did poorly in school.

My memories of learning chinese are negative: getting beaten in class for late assignments, going to the principals office,... My overall results were very good but it was pulled down by my chinese grades. I was not unique, many of my classmates also had trouble with chinese. Not surprising as many of my classmates speak english at home.

With regards to a technical education, one had to attend the extra woodwork & metalwork classes outside of school hours. In other words it was "extra". We had the classes outside of normal school hours. What was worse was that my school did not have a workshop so we all had to go to another school for the workshops. They weren't too happy at having us there, neither were we happy to be there:biggrin:

Nothing wrong with a technical education but I take issue with the way the PAP forced all school children into it. Reminds me of how school children are forced into supporting the YOG(youth Olympic games). Or NS man used to support National days activities. This is just another reason of why the education system is screwed up in Spore. At that time they needed cheap manpower to work at the factories, so they forced everyone to do technical education:rolleyes: We were just cogs in the system.

Last edited:

king_of_abalone

Alfrescian
Loyal
I'm sorry but local singaporean Chinese are southern Chinese....southern Chinese mostly speak dialects....mandarin is language of the northern Chinese.....language and culture and cuisine we are about as different as moon and the sun....Chao ah tiongs are aliens to us.never ever associate us with prcs just like u don't associate prcs with hong kies.

Then what about the tiongs from southern china? You welcome them? Since they are similar to you?

tanwahtiu

Alfrescian
Loyal
agree, PAP public schools intention was to have more failures than passes in Chinese language. The education minister was then this 39% EP who is English speaking Christian and with LKY (both Chinese haters) destroy 2 generations of Singaporeans failed Chinese badly.

Better get rid VTO LHL before it is too late.

During my school years the most hated subject was mandarin. Had many school mates who ended up taking french, german or malay as a second language.

Learning a second language is useful but the way LKY forced it on hapless Sporeans school children was wrong. They also tried to force a technical education. Anyone remember having to attend classes for wood work, metal work, & technical drawing:confused:

Typical PAP style, forcing everyone into a single mould. Among my peers no one went into the wood working, metal working, ... I doubt that anyone found a job because of these technical classes.

frenchbriefs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Then what about the tiongs from southern china? You welcome them? Since they are similar to you?

yes i respect them more than the northern tiongs,since they speak dialects and their mandarin accent is like ours.......so they are kind of like our ancestors but they dont speak singlish though.....

tanwahtiu

Alfrescian
Loyal
Chinese is hard to learn and need to know at least 300 words to read Chinese newspaper. 300 words is enough to get you read write Chinese.

Remember, Chinese use less or no preposition in a string of words which make it flexible to switch the words. 1 word can be a noun, adverb, verb, adjective depending how you use it.

OK, remember some words are use 'as is'. 是不是 is say as is but cannot say 是不 alone.

There are Chinese grammars which the PAP public schools do not teach Singaporeans properly. This half breed baba Siknie LKY hate Chinese people and who was that Chinaman go fuck m&d women to have him than to marry a Chinese race?

For this matter FUCK THE PAP.

im not good at chinese myself but thats pretty damn stupid......u have to ask urself how is it ur born a chinese with chinese blood and family in a chinese society and ang moh kids are beating ur ass in chinese?relevant?fun?

how come u can score well in all ur other subjects except chinese?all the other subjects didnt have to be relevant or fun but u still willingly and eagerly lapped it up anyway.its all a question of mentality and psychology.remember those kids jumped at the opportunity....u didnt think mandarin was anything special....since ur a chinese and u grew up in a chinese society.....

glockman

Old Fart
Asset
Everywhere i go in this country, I frequently hear PRC mandarin, tagalog, bangla, western accented English. Very sickening indeed. But when I hear Singlish, dialects, bahasa, it's like music to my ears.

lianbeng

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
My friend had a terrible experience when he visited Food Republic at Westgate mall recently. This is his experience with a PRC hawker while patronizing a tutu kuah stall.

"This PRC hawker lady replied to me rudely when I wanted to clarify an issue regarding the kueh tu tu I bought. Initially I wanted to let it pass, but decided not to keep silent and tried to speak to her in my broken mandarin as i was a non-chinese Singaporean.

However, she insisted that I speak to her in Mandarin instead which really got my goat . The present PAP govt should have made it compulsory for foreigners to know about our laws and customs and at least make it mandatory for them to speak conversational english to non chinese singaporeans.

These are simple, practical issues that are important to us which the govt ignores and instead pursue huge grandiose projects, such as more malls, the jewel at changi airport, absurd COE prices, nuclear power, the foreign population influx etc

We do not want our memories to be erased by the demolition of familiar places we grew up with. We do not want every conceivable green patch of grass to be turned to concrete or replaced with a building. We do not want to live in taller buildings comprising of shoe box units. We are already suffocating living in a highly built environment.

We do not want to become second class citizens in our own country. Come down from your ivory tower, live among us and realize whats actually happening on the ground"

lianbeng replies hokkien: 讲华语啦! :biggrin:

Dragonhead

Alfrescian
Loyal
Everywhere i go in this country, I frequently hear PRC mandarin, tagalog, bangla, western accented English. Very sickening indeed. But when I hear Singlish, dialects, bahasa, it's like music to my ears.

Nostalgia means a lot when you hear singlish, dialects, Bahasa being spoken. When hearing tagalog, you feel your country is invaded.

frenchbriefs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
thats why chinese is bullshyt....if we went down chinese path instead,many sinkie kids would never pick up the love of reading......by 10,11 i was reading jeffery archer and stephen king......if singapore went down chinese path....i would be one of the many dumb chao ah beng bo tak chek kampong village heartlander people that u see litter the lower strata of singapore society.....singapore is full of daft and stupid people already,please dont drag us down even further.

Chinese is hard to learn and need to know at least 300 words to read Chinese newspaper. 300 words is enough to get you read write Chinese.

Remember, Chinese use less or no preposition in a string of words which make it flexible to switch the words. 1 word can be a noun, adverb, verb, adjective depending how you use it.

OK, remember some words are use 'as is'. 是不是 is say as is but cannot say 是不 alone.

There are Chinese grammars which the PAP public schools do not teach Singaporeans properly. This half breed baba Siknie LKY hate Chinese people and who was that Chinaman go fuck m&d women to have him than to marry a Chinese race?

For this matter FUCK THE PAP.

Last edited:

Dragonhead

Alfrescian
Loyal
yes i respect them more than the northern tiongs,since they speak dialects and their mandarin accent is like ours.......so they are kind of like our ancestors but they dont speak singlish though.....

The Chinese in Taiwan, Xiamen and Sinkapoo are like three members of the same club, sharing same dialect (Hokien). Tiongs in northern China are different breed. Without the Communist Party holding the country together, China would have broken up long ago due to its diversity of ethnic groups, dialects and cultures.

frenchbriefs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

wrong....indian national their english is beautiful......impeccable grace and artistic and accent....all the other races can fuck off for butchering the language.....my god all language is sacred,if u cant speak it properly u need to fuck off,fuck ur singlish or chinglish or creole languages.

Last edited: