• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Best Bah Kut Teh in Jakarta - Song Fa is now open

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Was driving around near office to find lunch and surprised to find this new joint - Song Fa Bah Kut Teh

Parked and went upstairs and discovered lots of people waiting so I registered to be called was told got to wait 40mins. As the soup smells so good I decided I need to wait.

[video=youtube;W_kn7S-CMLs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_kn7S-CMLs&list=UUYBuHj2lK4-jb6Tg8qnEHTA[/video]

The menu

Name card

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
They have come a long way from the original stall in blanco court.
Back then only taxi foodies go there but now customers are mostly tourists

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Oh crap I forgot to post how it taste - Ok I have to say I love it not because its probably the best here but I do compare to our local bkt and I have to say this joint is serving great bkt as good as we get back home. Price wise is similar to Singapore I believe, so this mean cost $39.

gingerlyn

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
is it dangerous to eat there?
i saw news that the muslim brotherhood just go to those dancing hall and pork shop and smash the shops and threatening to kill the customers.

is it true?

frenchbriefs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
this look like the food we eat during chinese new year cooked by grandma,do we really have to pay so much for these especially when its mudlaysia?

i mean one plate of goddam kailan can buy me 1 bucket of marrybrown chicken.

and my god one plate of braised peanuts cost 15 ringgit?are u out of ur mind?they think they serving some kind of french escargot de voule vou couche?this is just cheap chinese cuisine for christ sake.

Last edited:

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
is it dangerous to eat there?
i saw news that the muslim brotherhood just go to those dancing hall and pork shop and smash the shops and threatening to kill the customers.

is it true?

I've not personally encountered nor hear anything like what you mentioned. I asked my staff and they too have not heard. I think thsi is the whole problem with the news as they report stuff and readers thinks like its the whole country have problem like in Thailand, just two streets of protests and everyone outside Thailand thinks the whole country is burning.

The closest thing to what you mentioned is probably a while ago when some bakso (meatball) suppliers mixed halal meatballs with pork and the muslims went berserk not at restaurants but at the factories.

I hope this clears your doubt.

Faidenk

Alfrescian
Loyal
Now, this is what I call Bak Kut Teh, very fundamental with rich garlicky and peppery flavors, with a slight hint of tongkwai. Most vendors now don't even boil it till it falls-off-the-bone anymore as all the texture and taste of pork has dissipated.

The Malaysian Klang version? It's just pork ribs and innards boiled to death in a herbal soup.

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
this look like the food we eat during chinese new year cooked by grandma,do we really have to pay so much for these especially when its mudlaysia?

i mean one plate of goddam kailan can buy me 1 bucket of marrybrown chicken.

and my god one plate of braised peanuts cost 15 ringgit?are u out of ur mind?they think they serving some kind of french escargot de voule vou couche?this is just cheap chinese cuisine for christ sake.

Whatever number you see there add three zeros and then dived by 9,600. Its Indonesian rupiah.

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Now, this is what I call Bak Kut Teh, very fundamental with rich garlicky and peppery flavors, with a slight hint of tongkwai. Most vendors now don't even boil it till it falls-off-the-bone anymore as all the texture and taste of pork has dissipated.

The Malaysian Klang version? It's just pork ribs and innards boiled to death in a herbal soup.

I forgot to mention that yes this shop's port just drops off the bones, super nice.

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Whatever number you see there add three zeros and then dived by 9,600. Its Indonesian rupiah.

Pii Joe I see the prices only slight discount from Sg prices.
Not common folk makan like in Sg.
What segment of market are the local customers?

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
oh.................so ur total bill is around 40 sgd?

Yes I did mentioned in post #4 its $39, you'd probably missed it with the delicious photos I posted :smile:

Pii Joe I see the prices only slight discount from Sg prices.
Not common folk makan like in Sg.
What segment of market are the local customers?

Pii Narong, food business can be very profitable in Indonesia if selling to the Chinese. For example a normal bowl of noodle can easily cost 25,000 rupiah or $2.50 and this is just normal, yong tau hu can cost like 50,000 rupiah. However for the normal people the mass market Indonesians (malays) a breakfast of nasi udud (nasi lemak) consists of a big heap of coconut rice with a piece of tempeh and fried beehoon cost just 3,000 rupiah or 30 cents. But this the Chinese will not eat. So the difference is just very wide.

Yes its a strange thing to do but Indonesians like to eat rice with fried beehoon or fried noodle (meggi mee) together.

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset

KNNBGCB

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I've actually been posting Indonesian food in SBF whenever I eat here you can find them in the Thailand thread as I spend most of my time in that thread being almost a Thai now so to say.

http://www.sammyboy.com/showthread....e-to-living-in-Thailand&p=1928550#post1928550

I will continue to post in my travels.

Once a Sinkie, always a Sinkie :biggrin:

When I visited Batam, I do note that the staffs working inside those roast meat/wanton mee/bak kut tay shops actually comprises of Malays. Aren't they supposed to stay away from pork?

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset

When I visited Batam, I do note that the staffs working inside those roast meat/wanton mee/bak kut tay shops actually comprises of Malays. Aren't they supposed to stay away from pork?

Actually this is one thing I like about Indonesia, Indonesians when they are born are not automatically Muslims unlike Malaysia born a Malay = born a muslim. Even for Indonesian muslims they have the freedom to chose to change faith no problem at all (legally). So no confusion about race and religion.

What you saw could be non muslim Indonesians or muslims who need a job as long as they don't eat pork. Here many muslims also go into Chinese restaurants if they know that meal with say their chinese friends will not consist pork meaning not order pork, most are not bothered with the bowls and plates and utensils used by pork eating chinese.

So in conclusion I have to say many muslims here are quite liberal and in fact they view Malaysia malays as pretentious and howlian so they actually don't get along well even though they are muslim abang.

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

No la indon might have biggest Moslem population but not every 'malay' you see is Moslem.
Some are Christians or Hindus like those you see in Bali....others are just atheists.
We are all too familiar with those indon maids who the agencies say can 'handle' pork...
I had a indon maid like that once....when I questioned her she claimed she is not Moslem just that she doesn't eat pork.

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
No la indon might have biggest Moslem population but not every 'malay' you see is Moslem.
Some are Christians or Hindus like those you see in Bali....others are just atheists.
We are all too familiar with those indon maids who the agencies say can 'handle' pork...
I had a indon maid like that once....when I questioned her she claimed she is not Moslem just that she doesn't eat pork.

Good for you Pii Narong, like that you are non haram to her at all.

bushtucker

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Oh crap I forgot to post how it taste - Ok I have to say I love it not because its probably the best here but I do compare to our local bkt and I have to say this joint is serving great bkt as good as we get back home. Price wise is similar to Singapore I believe, so this mean cost $39.

Song Fa even brought the Sinkie pricing to Jakarta. :(

i was expecting food to be cheaper over there. guess they are also selling their brand name.