• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Proposed stops for KL-S'pore high-speed rail - Nusajaya in Johor

Manhattan

Alfrescian
Loyal
Very difficult to compare apple to apple for such project. What's important is the tender specifications need to be clear and detailed to allow a competitive tender. Let's hope the most cost effective tenderer wins.

cheerguan

Alfrescian
Loyal
Thanks guys. Understand must compare apple to apple. Just that I thought if both sum are only for construction cost, then difference shouldn't be that huge. Also Taiwan using Japs' trains should be twice more ex than China's made ones right?

Last edited:

Funniman

Alfrescian
Loyal
Thanks guys. Understand must compare apple to apple. Just that I thought if both sum are only for construction cost, then difference shouldn't be that huge. Also Taiwan using Japs' trains should be twice more ex than China's made ones right?

Nearest comparison is Taipei to Kaoshiung line. It is almost the same distance and number of stops too.

snowbird

Alfrescian
Loyal
From wikipedia.

Taiwan High Speed Rail (abbreviated THSR or HSR) is a high-speed rail line that runs approximately 345 km (214 mi) (actual length in operation is 339 km (211 mi)) along the west coast of Taiwan, from the national capital Taipei to the southern city of Kaohsiung. With construction managed by a private company, Taiwan High Speed Rail Corporation (THSRC), which also operates the line, the total cost of the project was US$18 billion. At the time it was built in 2007, this was one of the world's largest privately funded rail construction schemes. The system is based primarily on Japan's Shinkansen technology.

The estimated budget of the HSR here in 2013 was RM40 billion (shd be higher now with the dipping RM), not including SG's portion of line and station.
RM40 billion = US$ 11 billion
So, including SG's few billions$$, its still cheaper than the Taiwanese HSR @ US$18 billion (for now).

potter

Alfrescian
Loyal
Go and check out the MRT 2 line first whose stations is going to be finalised soon. But HSR Terminal is sure one of them.

oldie, where u place your chip..:p
KL.JPG

Funniman

Alfrescian
Loyal
oldie, where u place your chip..:p

My bets no more in Malaysia liao..quota full. My thinking is on KLCC area. Many many new 6 stars projects being built there. It is still very cheap at RM3000 psf. In Malaysia is good for own stay. Not so good for flipping as demand is not super. Can make money la..but small gains lor. I would still prefer industrial as it is a lot better in terms of cap appreciation but you need holding power. As for TRX and HSR area, I think by that time it complete, I also konk already. :biggrin:

With the RM dropping in value, I think overseas is better in terms of investment returns. Eg. I just received my valuation report for Capital Gains Tax purposes, price increased by 25% already even before piling start. :smile:

FHBH12

Alfrescian
Loyal
Operating model of Singapore-KL high speed rail a top priority: Josephine Teo

Singapore and Malaysia have identified important areas that have to be sorted out - the operating model being the top priority to work on, moving forward, says Senior Minister of State for Transport Josephine Teo.

By Olivia Siong, Channel NewsAsia
POSTED: 16 May 2015 16:20 UPDATED: 16 May 2015 23:07

SINGAPORE: The operating model of the Singapore-Kuala Lumpur high speed rail is the top priority to work on moving forward, said Senior Minister of State for Transport Josephine Teo on Saturday (May 16).

She was responding to questions from the media on the sidelines of the opening of a new healthcare support centre for diabetes and cancer patients by TOUCH Community Services.

Mrs Teo said Singapore and Malaysia have identified important areas that have to be sorted out.

Singapore's end point of the high speed rail line will be in Jurong East - a decision announced recently.

The line aims to cut travelling time between Singapore and Kuala Lumpur to just 90 minutes.

Looking ahead, priorities for Singapore and Malaysia will be to decide on how services will be operated and the project's financing model.

Noting that the project is a long-term investment, she said thought has to be put into how the high speed rail will operate "long into the future".

Mrs Teo said: "Sustainability is important. The high speed rail is an investment that could be with us, certainly, well in excess of 30, 50 years, even a hundred years. So we can't think of it as you get done in 10 years and be done with it.

"You will have to think about how it will operate long into the future and you have to make certain assumptions. For example, you have to make assumptions as to how many people potentially could use the high speed rail, what's the frequency with which they will use it.

"These assumptions obviously, at the early stages are not easy to make. With time, it will become more accurate in the way in which you make the estimation, but you have to make a start. So the principles have to be laid down and in this regard we have to work very closely with our Malaysian counterparts. But we're off to a good start."

With regard to the engineering design of the high speed rail, Mrs Teo said from the point of view of land-scarce Singapore, it makes sense to put most of the rail underground. But she also stressed that an open-mind must be kept.

"Underground facilities are also challenging in their own ways - not only from a construction standpoint but also in terms of how you eventually operate it. So those are the considerations that have to come into play, in addition to the fact that underground facilities are much more costly. So we'll also have to weigh the benefits, as well as the costs of doing so," she said.

With regard to the government's new bus contracting model, Mrs Teo was asked if introducing a foreign operator to the market is a wake-up call for existing players.

The first contract was awarded earlier this month to London-based operator Tower Transit.

Mrs Teo said the new industry model is an opportunity for both current and future operators to think about how they can step up their services to a different level.

She said: "In order to be able to deliver safety with good quality service, you've got to make sure not only the operations are well organised, you've also got to make sure the staff aspects - whether it's in terms of recruitment and training as well as the career development - all of these things must be done in a way as to take into account the changing, evolving landscape in Singapore, which means that competition for skills, competition for people to do the jobs will intensify.

"So from that perspective, I think, we see the bus contracting as providing that opportunity for operators - present and future operators - to think about how they can step it up to a different level."

- CNA/al

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/singapore/operating-model-of/1851374.html

FHBH12

Alfrescian
Loyal
China and Thailand are building the Kra Canal, which will allow shipments to bypass many ports in Malaysia and Singapore. I think it makes sense for Singapore and Malaysia to join up the capitals via fast rail for higher chance of economic survival.

cybermad

Alfrescian
Loyal
China and Thailand are building the Kra Canal, which will allow shipments to bypass many ports in Malaysia and Singapore. I think it makes sense for Singapore and Malaysia to join up the capitals via fast rail for higher chance of economic survival.

Yes, this must be the reason why things move so fast for HSR. I was a bit surprised at the speed but now it begins to make sense ...

Funniman

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yes, this must be the reason why things move so fast for HSR. I was a bit surprised at the speed but now it begins to make sense ...

Nearest small scale comparison is Kajang-Cheras-KL-PJ-Subang Jaya-Shah Alam-Kelang linear city development and now became overall Klang Valley. The roads and rails were built to link them. Latest is MRTs are being built as well. Some 20 years ago, these towns were developed entirely on their own. But as land run scarce, it began to spread out and thus joining the dotted lines.

I suppose the rationale of HSR is also the same albeit on a grand scale.

lynton

Alfrescian
Loyal
not a feeling. and not a joke

I heard this on overseas news before
the first phase will be sg - malaysia (kl)
then malaysia (kl) to thailand (phase 2)
the last phase will be from thailand to china.