• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Proposed stops for KL-S'pore high-speed rail - Nusajaya in Johor

Manhattan

Alfrescian
Loyal
If MY ask for a loan from the china backed new Asian infra investment bank, sure will be able to fund the HSR. Just pay back slowly using palm oil sugar cane petroleum mao shan wang etc.

gooddebt

Alfrescian
Loyal
If MY ask for a loan from the china backed new Asian infra investment bank, sure will be able to fund the HSR. Just pay back slowly using palm oil sugar cane petroleum mao shan wang etc.

Those who can potentially benefit may not wanna wait so long to masuk too.

snowbird

Alfrescian
Loyal

With the rapid weakening of the RM and the plummet of oil price, there will be a likelihood that parliament will be convene very soon to table a revised Budget. The opposition and even Dr M had been very vocal on this issue of massive shortfall in revenue in the tune of about RM30 billion for the fiscal year.
In view of this, several belt tightening policies will be implemented, some major project will be postponed together with efforts to seek extra revenue. So, do you think they will commit political suicide and still proceed with the HSR project next year?

austin_hts

Alfrescian
Loyal
PM Lee mentioned high speed rail to KL in his recent facebook post :

Lee Hsien Loong
12 December at 18:06 ·

Glad to be home. The ASEAN-ROK Commemorative Summit marked 25 years of dialogue relations between ASEAN and ROK. One area we discussed was cooperation to respond better to climate change and natural disasters. A big thanks to President 박근혜 Park Geun-Hye for her warm and generous hospitality.

From Busan, I took the high speed rail to Seoul, on my way back to Singapore. The train service is very popular, fast and comfortable. Hope our high speed rail service to KL will be as good. - LHL — in ASEAN-ROK Commemorative Summit

nufala

Alfrescian
Loyal
PM Lee mentioned high speed rail to KL in his recent facebook post :

Lee Hsien Loong
12 December at 18:06 ·

Glad to be home. The ASEAN-ROK Commemorative Summit marked 25 years of dialogue relations between ASEAN and ROK. One area we discussed was cooperation to respond better to climate change and natural disasters. A big thanks to President 박근혜 Park Geun-Hye for her warm and generous hospitality.

From Busan, I took the high speed rail to Seoul, on my way back to Singapore. The train service is very popular, fast and comfortable. Hope our high speed rail service to KL will be as good. - LHL — in ASEAN-ROK Commemorative Summit

If politics does not interfere with economics then this project looks promising.

ECboy

Alfrescian
Loyal
I've recently came back from Japan and was shocked by how impressive the train system is there. But sadly, i realised that Malaysia will not be anywhere close to that. Their system has been in place since god knows when (i think the 60's) and is still efficient and in perfect working order, everything is on time! In MY, it will be nice for awhile then deteriorate within a couple of years.

Boils down to many things but biggest is the people, the will of the people. They keep it clean, maintain it and passengers are civil, no littering, courteous, etc, even the guy doing rail repair work looks like he has a lot of pride in his job. I was just blown away.

Having lived in US, UK and few countries in SEA, Japan takes the cake for the best rail transport system.

snowbird

Alfrescian
Loyal
Last month I was in Beijing, I tried the Beijing-Tianjin Intercity bullet train.
The class 2 ticket cost only about rmb60 (about S$12.50) for one way.
The train station and the waiting area is surprising clean, comfortable and well laid out while the usher hostesses are polite, well dressed and sweet looking.
The allocated seats are comfortable and the ride was silent and smooth, the 120km journey took only 35 mins. moving at average 290 km p/hr.
There was only one stop and I realized that just a single stop slowed the journey by about 9 to 10 mins.
First, the train takes a few mins to slow down from 290km p/hr to a stop and again needs a few mins to move from 0 to 290km p/hr.
Then it has to pressurised and depressurised the train cabins due to the high speed.
While the stopover was about 5 mins for passengers to embark / disembark, the total time "wasted" about 10 mins.
With about 10 mins added to the journey for every stop, the proposed SIN-KL HSR comes with 5 stops will slowed the journey by at least 50 mins which defeats the purpose.
So if the trains is moving at 300km/hr, a direct trip should take only slightly more than an hour but with 5 stops it becomes more than 2 hours.

FHBH12

Alfrescian
Loyal
Should have the express version at higher ticket price. But MY is too broke now to build. Weak RM makes every import more expensive.

snowbird

Alfrescian
Loyal
Should have the express version at higher ticket price. But MY is too broke now to build. Weak RM makes every import more expensive.

My take is, if oil price do not go back to US$120, then there is little chance that the HSR will be built.
Now the oil price had gone below US$50, with the National Budget suffering a huge deficit of RM30 Billion, many more projects will be shelved.
Another bad news is the 1MDB had defaulted on its loan repayment last month which simply means money is really short!!

RedsYNWA

Alfrescian
Loyal
My take is, if oil price do not go back to US$120, then there is little chance that the HSR will be built.
Now the oil price had gone below US$50, with the National Budget suffering a huge deficit of RM30 Billion, many more projects will be shelved.
Another bad news is the 1MDB had defaulted on its loan repayment last month which simply means money is really short!!

Well, oil is not going back to US$100 anytime soon according to a Saudi prince. Overall I think the oil price drop has been a boon to Malaysian & SG consumers in general, given the heavy reliance on private transport & expected lower utility bills. For locals who work in SG, most people I talk to are extremely happy with the current ex rate.

Not so good though for workers in specific sectors, such as oil & gas........