• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

☆ Barclays Premier League Season 2014-15 ☆

Schurrle

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Mourinho not interested in Reus

24 November 2014

742857header.jpg

Jose Mourinho has dismissed any notion that Chelsea are interested in a deal for Borussia Dortmund and Germany star attacker Marco Reus.

The 25-year-old is set to become one of Europe's most attractive transfer targets come the end of the season, when he will be available for €25million (£19.8m) due to a buyout clause in his current deal at Signal Iduna Park.

Bayern Munich officials have been open in sharing the Bavarian club's interest in a deal for Reus, who could follow former Dortmund colleagues Mario Gotze and Robert Lewandowski to the Allianz Arena.

And Bayern's hopes may have been boosted after Chelsea's manager played down talk Reus had interested those in the Stamford Bridge corridors of power.

Mourinho was blunt when asked of any potential interest in the attacker, as he said on Monday: "We don't want Marco Reus.

"The market is closed and the player belongs to Borussia. We have top players in this position.

"We are not interested, not at all."

Chelsea face former manager Roberto Di Matteo at Schalke on Tuesday, looking to secure a place in the UEFA Champions League last 16.

Victory in Gelsenkirchen or a draw in which they score at least twice will do the job for Mourinho's side, but the Portuguese remains wary of being eliminated.

"We have two matches to qualify, but it would be better for us to qualify [on Tuesday]," said Mourinho.

"We have so many matches in December so if you can avoid a crucial final match where you need to qualify against Sporting and avoid that pressure it would be very good for us.

"We will try to qualify [on Tuesday]. This team is in a state of evolution. To go into the Europa League would be very bad for this team.

"Evolution gets faster when you are playing in the best competitions. It would be very disappointing if we went into the Europa League."

FALCA0

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Van Gaal happy with United tactics

Manchester United manager Louis van Gaal always felt Arsenal would prove vulnerable at the back after his side completed a smash-and-grab raid at the Emirates Stadium.

456673358.jpg

Monday 24th November 2014

United recorded their first away victory under the Dutch boss, winning 2-1 after weathering an early onslaught from the Gunners, when goalkeeper David Da Gea saved one-on-one from Jack Wilshere.

At the start of the second half, a bizarre own goal from defender Kieran Gibbs, who had clattered into goalkeeper Wojciech Szczesny, which forced him off with a hip problem, helped turned the momentum for United, with captain Wayne Rooney clipping home a late second on the break as Arsenal were exposed on the counter.

Although Olivier Giroud, back from three months out with a broken foot, reduced the deficit with a 20-yard drive in stoppage-time, there was to be no grandstand finale to prevent Arsenal slipping to a second straight Premier League defeat.

While the Gunners are down in eighth, United moved up to fourth place.

Chris Smalling helped steer inexperienced defenders Paddy McNair and Tyler Blackett through the match, and van Gaal believes United's tactics were proved to be spot-on.

"That is why I play this formation because now I have to play with two young defenders, yes, it was a risk, but I was sure that Arsenal wants to attack and to press us, then, you know that Arsenal is giving a lot of space away," said Van Gaal.

"And then (Per) Mertesacker and our friend (Nacho) Monreal has to defend. That is why I put (Angel) di Maria against Mertesacker and (Robin) van Persie against Monreal, that is why I changed for (James) Wilson, more pace.

"That is what you are thinking in advance of a match and when it is ending like this, you can be happy."

Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger, though, had complete opposite emotions after watching his side again fail to turn a largely promising performance into an end product.

He said: "Our results are not there at the moment because we lack a bit of maturity defensively and we pay for it.

"Because we were 1-0 down and we wanted to desperately come back, and we forgot our principles a little bit.

"I have to see it (Rooney breakaway goal) again because I was surprised there wasn't anyone there any more.

"We were caught when we had a corner for us because sometimes the players forget the cautiousness because the emotional side of the game takes over."

Wenger added: "I wasn't angry with the players - I have a lot of respect for the energy they put in the game and the spirit they show.

"I am just angry because the players do not get rewarded and our fans do not get rewarded for the result that was just there for the taking."

There where signs of a growing discontent in some sections of the Emirates Stadium crowd.

Manchester United substitute Darren Fletcher was involved in a heated exchange with fans behind the opposition bench following the opening goal, when it is understood a paper cup of coffee was thrown at the visitors as they celebrated the opening goal.

A few Arsenal fans, meanwhile, held up A4-sized placards calling for Wenger's dismissal, which were quickly confiscated by club stewards.

Arsenal captain Mikel Arteta revealed the players were in shock as to just how they did not manage to get something out of the match.

"We played our best game of the season, but it is about being ruthless for sure because when you are inside the box, and you cannot manage to score in that many situations, you cannot expect to win a football game," he said.

Arteta, though, insists Arsenal must not allow any hangovers from such a disappointing result as they prepare for Tuesday night's Champions League tie with Borussia Dortmund.

"When you lose, there is something which is not going well, but we cannot forget (what we have done well) as that creates a lack of belief and confidence if you just take a lot of negatives at the end when you have lost the game.

"We have been too inconsistent at home and dropped too many points already, but we have been saying that for weeks now and we need to turn that around."

Goalkeeper Szczesny was able to walk unaided out of the stadium, while Wilshere had an X-ray on his ankle, which was clear, but will be assessed once the swelling has gone down.

Wenger

Alfrescian
Loyal

Wenger hits back at Usmanov criticism

273771_heroa.jpg

By Alex Young
Nov 25, 2014 15:21:00

Arsenal's second-largest shareholder accused the manager of failure in his transfer policy but the Frenchman says he should not have taken his grievances to the press

Arsene Wenger has hit back at criticism from Arsenal's second-biggest shareholder Alisher Usmanov over his handling of the club's transfer policy.

The 61-year-old feels the Gunners boss is not learning from his past mistakes and needs to strengthen the squad in "every position" despite spending over €94 million during the summer.

However, Wenger - who has already admitted he will seek cover during the January window- has questioned Usmanov's professionalism in the aftermath.

"I've shown I can take criticism in the 18 years I have been here," Wenger told reporters.

"Everyone has the right to an opinion. We must show solidarity. When we have something to say to each other, we should do it face to face. We don't need to go to the newspapers."
Saturday's 2-1 defeat at home to Manchester United has left Arsenal eighth in the Premier League and 15 points behind leaders Chelsea.

Arsenal's start to the league has been their worst in 32 years, while at the same stage last season, Wenger's men were 11 points better off.

FALCA0

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Giggs: I'd leave Manchester United to manage

644791_heroa.jpg

By Harry West
Nov 25, 2014 13:04:00

The Welshman, who is currently serving as Louis van Gaal's assistant at Old Trafford, is refusing to rule out the possibility of going elsewhere to earn his coaching stripes

Ryan Giggs says he is open to the possibility of leaving Manchester United in order to further his coaching career.

The Welshman has become synonymous with United since making his debut in 1991, and is the club's record appearance maker with 963.

Following the departure of David Moyes towards the end of last season, Giggs even took over the management reigns in a caretaker role for four matches, winning two with one defeat and one draw.

The 40-year-old retired from playing at the conclusion of that campaign, and is now assistant coach to Louis van Gaal at Old Trafford.

Many believe Giggs is being groomed as Van Gaal's successor to the post, but the man himself is unwilling to rule out the possibility of cutting his managerial teeth elsewhere.

"I've been at the club for so long that I'm familiar with the club but if I want to further my coaching career or managing career and if it's not at Manchester United then so be it - but I'll just have to wait and see," Giggs told Sky Sports.

Focusing on the present, Giggs insists that despite his brief experience in the managerial hotseat at the end of last season, he has no designs on Van Gaal's position in the foreseeable future.

“I’m learning all the time,” he told talkSPORT. “The more I learn the better prepared I am for whatever I do, wherever that may be.

“Taking over at Manchester United is not something I’m thinking of though. I loved the experience last season, it was the best ever.

“You can do all the coaching badges and leadership stuff but actually being there for three weeks was invaluable. I’m serving my apprenticeship again.”

Dzeko

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Nasri urges 'world-class' Manchester City to justify salaries

644491_heroa.jpg

By Dejan Kalinic
Nov 25, 2014 13:08:00

The Premier League champions are bottom of their Champions League group after four games and must now beat Bayern Munich to avoid a third group-stage exit in four years

Samir Nasri has urged this Manchester City team-mates to deliver in the Champions League and justify their "world class" talents and huge wages.

The Premier League champions are bottom of Group E, two points adrift of second-placed Roma, ahead of facing Bayern Munich and look to be facing a third group-stage elimination in four attempts.

Nasri said there would be no more excuses for City, who need a win on Tuesday, with the talent in their ranks and they must now prove they have learnt from past mistakes.

"We need to do something or otherwise next year it is going to be new players," he told reporters. "That's how we work when you play for a big team. You have to respond and show everyone you deserve to qualify.

"With the salary of every player and the level of those players, 90 per cent of the team is world class, then not to qualify [from the group stage] would be a huge blow for the club - and for us as well."

"The thing in the Champions League is not just the talent, it's not being a team, it's the experience as well.

"We need to show we are smart players and to use what happened in the last couple of years to improve. We still have a chance and we need to take it. Now is the moment."

Schurrle

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Rojo returns to Manchester United training

537401_heroa.jpg

Nov 25, 2014 17:36:00

The centre-back dislocated his shoulder during the recent derby loss to Manchester City, with a six-week absence expected, but could now return for the trip to Southampton

By Paul Clennam

Marcos Rojo returned to training for Manchester United on Tuesday and could return in early December, Goal understands.

The centre-back dislocated his shoulder during the defeat to cross-city rivals Manchester City on November 2, requiring oxygen as he was stretchered from the field.

Louis van Gaal stated that he hoped to be able to call upon his summer signing within six weeks, but Rojo is now hopeful he could be back inside a fortnight, potentially in time for the trip to high-flying Southampton on December 8.

Rojo's progress will come as a relief to Van Gaal who has struggled with the fitness of his defenders all season, with Antonio Valencia deployed at right wing-back during the recent 2-1 win over Arsenal - a game which also saw left-back Luke Shaw limp off.

Youngsters Tyler Blackett and Patrick McNair have been drafted into the first team, while Michael Carrick has also been deployed as cover following his own return from injury.

Rojo joined United from Sporting in a deal worth €20 million in August, with winger Nani moving to the Portuguese club on a season-long loan in return.

Schurrle

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

QPR lose Sandro to knee injury for over a month

646201_heroa.jpg

By Alex Fisher
Nov 25, 2014 16:37:00

The summer signing will not be available until after Christmas after taking a knock during the 1-0 loss to Newcastle, though the club insist it is not related to previous injuries

QPR will be without Sandro until after Christmas after he suffered a knee injury against Newcastle United on Saturday.

The midfielder was substituted just after the hour in QPR's 1-0 defeat at St James' Park, and scans have shown ligament damage.

QPR's club doctor Peter Florida commented: "Sandro took a bad knock to his right knee, and has suffered damage to his medial ligaments.

"It is totally unrelated to his previous ACL [anterior cruciate ligament] injury.

"Unfortunately, he will now be unavailable for the selection until after Christmas."

Sandro, who was plagued by knee injuries at former club Tottenham, has already overcome a similar problem earlier this season after sliding while celebrating a goal during training in September.

The 25-year-old, who arrived at Loftus Road in September, is set to miss QPR's Premier League fixtures against fellow strugglers Leicester City and Burnley.

Dzeko

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Moses out for up to six weeks

458425_heroa.jpg

By Jack Davies
Nov 26, 2014 15:23:00

The Potters winger sustained the problem in the weekend's 2-1 defeat to Burnley and may return to Chelsea for treatment, though Marc Wilson has returned to training

Stoke City winger Victor Moses could be out for more than six weeks with a thigh injury, it has been confirmed.

The 23-year-old - who is on loan at the Britannia Stadium from Chelsea - sustained the problem during Saturday's 2-1 home defeat to Burnley in the Premier League and is now likely to be sidelined until the New Year.

"He has a significant thigh injury, which is likely to keep him out for several weeks," said assistant manager Mark Bowen.

Speaking to BBC Radio Stoke, Bowen added: " At the moment we're deciding with Chelsea whether [Moses will] go back and have the rehab there or stay with our team."

However, there is better news for Marc Wilson, who has returned to training after picking up a hamstring problem before the international break.

"Marc trained on Tuesday, albeit lightly, but he trained and will have more intensive training later in the week and hopefully he'll be available at the weekend," Bowen explained.

Stoke visit Liverpool in the Premier League on Saturday.

Ramsey

Alfrescian
Loyal

Wilshere ruled out for up to three months

646011_heroa.jpg

Nov 27, 2014 14:06:00

The England international sustained an ankle injury in the 2-1 defeat to Manchester United that could sideline him until March

Arsenal midfielder Jack Wilshere has undergone surgery on his left ankle and will be sidelined for up to three months.

The England international limped off during the Gunners' 2-1 defeat to Manchester United at the weekend following a late challenge from Paddy McNair on the edge of the box.

Wilshere subsequently missed Arsenal's 2-0 win over Borussia Dortmund on Wednesday, with manager Arsene Wenger revealing after the match that he expected the midfielder to miss "the next few games".

However, it has now been confirmed that Wilshere will instead be sidelined until at least February, though the Gunners revealed that his operation had been a success.

Wilshere took to Instagram to confirm the news and said that "everything went well", while urging his fans to stay positive.

"Work hard for what you want because it won't come to you without a fight," he wrote. "You have to be strong and courageous and know that you can do anything you put your mind to.

"If somebody puts you down or criticises you, just keep on believing in yourself and turn it into something positive."

Schurrle

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

No complaints over FA charge for Allardyce

27 November 2014

745915header.jpg

Sam Allardyce has no quarrels with the Football Association (FA) charge levelled at West Ham after their Premier League clash at Everton.

Shortly before half-time in the game at Goodison Park - which West Ham lost 2-1 - a heavy challenge by Kevin Mirallas on Morgan Amalfitano sparked an angry reaction from the West Ham players.

A bout of pushing and shoving broke out, before tempers were eventually calmed.

On Wednesday, the FA confirmed that both clubs had been charged with failing to control their players, something which Allardyce readily accepts.

"I can't argue with it," he said in a press conference on Thursday.

"We got so frustrated by some of the decisions that we lost control a little bit. I don't condone what we did but I can understand the players' frustrations.

"We need control ourselves better because we could have lost a player to a red card. Both sets of players were involved.

"To be fair to my players they very rarely do that. I'll remind them of their responsibilities but I don't think it's a particular problem for us."

Andy Carroll made his first start of the season at Everton after recovering from an ankle injury, and with former club Newcastle United visiting Upton Park on Saturday, Allardyce is glad to see the return of the 25-year-old.

"We're happy to see every player who comes back from injury," he said. "It's a big boost to have a player like Andy back after such a long time.

"He did well considering he wasn't expected to play the 90 minutes. He's in the process of completing a pre-season before we see the best of him.

"It'll take a way until he's back to full fitness and when he is that's when we'll see the best of him."

Willian

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

FA charges Whelan over comments

27 November 2014

746193header.jpg

The Football Association (FA) has charged Wigan Athletic chairman Dave Whelan following comments perceived to be anti-Semitic in nature.

Wigan appointed former Cardiff City boss Malky Mackay as manager last week, a decision that attracted criticism after the Scot was reported to the FA over his exchange of text messages with Iain Moody - former head of recruitment at Cardiff.

Mackay admitted the messages were "disrespectful of other cultures" and he has come under investigation from the FA.

In the aftermath of the appointment, Whelan gave an interview to The Guardian, where he suggested there was not "a lot wrong" with anything Mackay had said in those messages.

The 77-year-old was forced to apologise for this comments, but he provoked widespread outrage when he described Jewish people as "chasing money more than everybody else".

The FA confirmed last week that it had contacted Whelan regarding his remarks and a statement released on Thursday declared that he had been charged.

"The FA has charged Dave Whelan in relation to media comments," a statement read.

"It is alleged the Wigan Athletic chairman breached FA Rule E3[1] in that his comments were abusive and/or insulting and/or constitute improper conduct and/or bring the game into disrepute.

"It is further alleged that this is an 'Aggravated Breach' as defined by FA Rule E3[2] as it included a reference to ethnic origin and/or race and/or nationality and/or religion or belief.

"Mr Whelan has until 6pm on 5 December 2014 to respond to the charge."

Whelan has previously indicated that he would resign if found guilty of any offence.

FALCA0

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Taylor injury ´not as bad as first feared´

27 November 2014

746073header.jpg

Newcastle United have been given a boost with the news that Ryan Taylor's injury is not as bad as first feared.

Taylor has been plagued by serious knee problems over the past two-and-a-half years, and made his first top-flight start in 32 months in the 1-0 Premier League win over QPR last Saturday.

However, the 30-year-old limped off 34 minutes into the game with what appeared to be another knee complaint.

Taylor looked visibly upset as he left the field, but tweeted after the game that it was not a major problem.

That was confirmed by manager Alan Pardew in a media conference on Thursday, ahead of Newcastle's visit to West Ham at the weekend.

"We expect Ryan Taylor to be back training in 3-4 weeks," said Pardew. "It's not as bad as we first feared."

Dzeko

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Dzeko close to Man City return

463037_heroa.jpg

By Peter Thompson
Nov 28, 2014 16:04:00

The Bosnia-Herzegovina international has been sidelined since his side's 2-2 draw with QPR on November 8 but is set to make his comeback soon

Manuel Pellegrini expects Edin Dzeko to make his Manchester City return "next week" after overcoming a thigh injury.

The Bosnia-Herzegovina international has not featured since coming off the bench in the 2-2 draw at QPR earlier this month and lasting only a few minutes before limping off.

Dzeko is not available for Sunday's Premier League game against second-placed Southampton, but could face either Sunderland on Wednesday or Everton three days later.

City manager Pellegrini also revealed that David Silva (knee) and Aleksandar Kolarov (calf) are not yet ready to return.

"No news about Silva, Kolarov or Dzeko – they will not be fit for this game. Everyone else is fit for this game," said the Chilean.

"I suppose Edin Dzeko will be fit next week. There are no complications with David Silva, it was a ligament injury and he is recovering."

City fought back to secure a stunning 3-2 victory over 10-man Bayern Munich in midweek courtesy of a hat-trick from Sergio Aguero.

A win at Roma next month will ensure the Premier League side progress along with Bayern, provided the Bavarian giants beat CSKA Moscow at home in their final Group E game.

Pellegrini's men also came from behind to beat Swansea City 2-1 in the Premier League last weekend and the former Malaga coach believes both victories showed there is no disharmony in his squad.

"We can't complain about our spirit. We were losing against Swansea and we scored twice – the same against Bayern," he said.

Pellegrini welcomes Yaya Toure and Fernandinho back into the squad after they missed the win over the Bundesliga champions due to suspension.

DavidMoyes

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Van Gaal: Shaw out for several weeks

632581_heroa.jpg

Nov 28, 2014 14:02:00

The Dutchman pulled a piece of paper from his jacket pocket and donned a pair of spectacles to read out his medical advisor's notes on the England defender's setback

Manchester United manager Louis van Gaal has confirmed that defender Luke Shaw has damaged ankle ligaments and will be out for "a few weeks".

The England international picked up the problem in Saturday's 2-1 win over Arsenal at the Emirates Stadium and joins a lengthy injury list at Old Trafford that includes Daley Blind, Jonny Evans and Phil Jones.

There was confusion last week when United's official Twitter account, having misunderstood Van Gaal, said that Blind would miss six months with a knee injury.

To avoid a repeat performance, Van Gaal was at pains to point out that he was relaying a message from the medical staff, pulling a piece of paper out of his jacket pocket and putting on his spectacles to read the message to the assembled press.

"Last time I said something and it was not so good interpreted, so I have asked my medical advisor, maybe Manchester United’s twitter account can pay attention to it, eh?" he said.

The Dutchman read: "Luke sustained an ankle ligament injury but with no serious complications, and he will be out for the next few weeks because of this. Point."

Van Gaal, who coached the Netherlands to third place at this summer's World Cup, also revealed that he has given Blind a week off as he looks to recover from his knee injury.

"I give him a holiday because in the first week it’s more rest than exercise and he didn’t have so much holiday because of the World Cup – maybe you remember that the Netherlands were there until the end – so I gave him a holiday.

"He comes back on Monday and then he has to exercise and practise every day, because an injured player has to train more than the fit player."

Van Gaal also revealed that Evans will not be involved in Saturday's match against Hull City despite his return to action with the club's reserves in midweek.

"Evans is out of an injury that has taken a lot of weeks and he has to develop a match ryhythm. He is fit to play but not in the Premier League," he told MUTV.

Radamel Falcao, who was also involved in last week's injury mix-up when it appeared Van Gaal claimed he would miss two weeks with a calf injury, could be in the squad despite not being at 100 per cent.

"He is not ready, it's the same thing with Evans. When you are so long out of running and not training with your team-mates, one week of training is not sufficient. But I need strikers now so maybe he is in the 18."

Redknapp

Alfrescian
Loyal

Redknapp fears sack with Sherwood lined up for QPR job

596641_heroa.jpg

Nov 28, 2014 15:42:00

The 67-year-old is under pressure with the west London club bottom of the Premier League after 12 matches, while the ongoing speculation surrounding his job is affecting him

Harry Redknapp fears he is facing the sack as QPR manager with Tim Sherwood already having been lined up as his potential replacement.

The Londoners are bottom of the Premier League having won just two of their 12 fixtures this season and owner Tony Fernandes is determined to avoid a second relegation from the top tier in three years.

Rangers have so far backed Redknapp and he has boosted his chances of staying in charge following encouraging recent displays in high-profile matches against Liverpool, Chelsea and Manchester City.

Redknapp believes QPR’s upcoming games – including home clashes with fellow strugglers Leicester, Burnley and West Brom in the next month – will determine whether he is in charge at the turn of the year.

The 67-year-old has requested more backing in the transfer market in January but club officials believe he has a squad capable of Premier League survival.

Redknapp's uncertainty regarding the security of his job has been fuelled by constant speculation linking Sherwood with a move to Loftus Road.

Sherwood spent six months in charge of Tottenham last season and his assistants Les Ferdinand and Chris Ramsey are now both working at Loftus Road.

QPR legend Ferdinand was appointed head of football operations in October and is understood to have a close relationship with Fernandes, while Ramsey was subsequently brought in to head the club’s academy.

Sherwood is understood to be keen on the prospect of taking over at QPR should the opportunity arise, having previously been in the frame to manage West Brom and Crystal Palace. The familiar faces and structure at the west London club would provide him with the support to implement his ideas.

Redknapp spikily labelled Ferdinand’s job title as "stupid" following the former striker’s appointment and QPR sources have told Goal the former Tottenham and Portsmouth boss has not been his usual upbeat self around the club's training ground recently amid mounting speculation.

Redknapp claimed earlier in the season that he was on the verge of signing a two-year contract extension, with his current deal set to expire at the end of the season.

But it has since been agreed that both the club and Redknapp will wait until next summer before making any commitments on the manager’s future.

Redknapp was appointed as QPR manager in November 2012 but failed to keep the club in the Premier League that season before bringing them straight back up last term via the play-offs.

Wenger

Alfrescian
Loyal

Rodgers: I'm the favourite to get sacked

654821_heroa.jpg

Nov 28, 2014 16:55:00

The Liverpool manager guided his team to a second-placed finish in 2013-14 but has struggled this season, with the Reds currently 12th in the Premier League following a poor start

Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers admits he is the favourite to be sacked following the club's poor start to the season.

The Reds narrowly missed out on the Premier League title last season, a year that saw Rodgers named manager of the year, but only four wins from their opening 12 games leaves his side in 12th position.

And although the Northern Irishman signed a "long-term" deal last May, it has led to calls from some quarters for the club to replace the 41-year-old.

He told reporters: "A few months ago I was manager of the year, now I'm tipped to get sacked. All I can focus on is what you can control."

Having lost Luis Suarez to Barcelona in the summer and seen Daniel Sturridge sidelined by a number of injury problems, Rodgers admits he has been "dealt a different hand this season," though he admits Liverpool need to improve in the coming weeks if they are to meet their objective of qualifying for the Champions League.

"We just need to focus on the now, not dwell on the bad results," he added. "We get to go again. We were competitive against Ludogorets, we worked well and now we want to take this into the Premier League against Stoke.

"There's a lot of time left, a big chunk of the season to go. We have been nowhere near what we would expect. We're five points off the top four and the points total is the lowest it has been in the Premier League, so it tells you it is a unique league this year.

"Our objective, like last season, is fourth."

Rodgers also confirmed that Mario Balotelli - a €20 million summer signing from AC Milan - will have to continue to wait for his first Premier League goal for the Reds, with injury ruling him out of this weekend's clash, while Mamadou Sakho will also miss out.

Wenger

Alfrescian
Loyal

Liverpool already planning for life without Rodgers

654821_heroa.jpg

Nov 29, 2014 08:30:00

The club's American owners have sounded out potential successors to the Northern Irishman following a dreadful start to the new season despite a €147 million summer spending spree

EXCLUSIVE
By Duncan Castles

Liverpool have responded to a debilitating start to their season by exploring options to replace Brendan Rodgers as manager, Goal understands.

According to sources involved in the process, potential successors have been contacted to assess their suitability for, and interest in, the position.

The Premier League club's approach, which is described as “very informal”, included questions about management style, training methods and philosophy. That the process began several weeks ago is an indication that Liverpool's American owners are considering radical measures should their expensively restructured squad's underperformance continue.

Rodgers was rewarded with an improved four-year contract after overseeing a wholly unexpected second-place finish last season. The Northern Irishman was also permitted to lead a €147million summer spend on transfer fees as Liverpool sought to wrestle the Premier League title away from Manchester City this campaign while qualifying for the Champions League again.

Eighteen points adrift of leaders Chelsea having lost half of their opening 12 Premier League fixtures, the title is already unattainable, leading Rodgers to focus resources on what has become a more open race than usual for fourth place. Fenway Sports Group's plan upon taking control of the club was to be benefiting from Champions League revenues from 2015 onwards.

Rodgers was not John W Henry's first choice as manager when FSG last changed coaches in the summer of 2012, only winning over the club's principal owner with his performance at interview and a 180-page “document on the culture, philosophy and game plan going forward” that Rodgers claimed to have “been piecing together” for 15 years. It is understood that Henry has had to be talked down from dismissing him as manager on at least two occasions since.

Should a definitive decision be made to change manager again, FSG are expected to appoint a young, forward thinking coach. Roberto Martinez was initially Henry's preferred canditate for the role in 2012, though his position at Everton and renowned loyalty to employers mitigate against him this time around.

Andre Villas-Boas - who has led Zenit St Petersburg to an eight-point advantage at the summit of the Russian Premier League - was also short listed two years ago, but is not keen on coaching in England again. FSG have been impressed by Jurgen Klopp's achievements at Borussia Dortmund and are well aware that he has begun positioning himself for a job in England.

Asked this week if any Premier League club had contacted him, the German evaded the question. “Sometimes timing is very important,” said Klopp. “In each part of life, I think.”

Rodgers, meanwhile, has seen bookmakers radically shorten odds on his dismissal. “They obviously expect me to lose my job,” he said yesterday.

“It's as simple as that. That's football. A few months ago, I was manager of year and now I'm favourite to get the sack. It's part and parcel of this wonderful life of working in football. It's short-termism. All you can do is focus on the immediate job and what you can control. It's about working with the players, really consolidating, defining and providing even more clarity in their roles.”

Wenger

Alfrescian
Loyal

Van Persie under pressure after 'very bad' Arsenal game - Van Gaal

629711_heroa.jpg

By Harry Sherlock
Nov 29, 2014 09:03:00

The Netherlands international touched the ball just 13 times against Arsenal last weekend and his manager admits the striker may lose his place in the club's starting XI

Manchester United manager Louis van Gaal admits Robin van Persie is under pressure to perform, after his “very bad game” against Arsenal last weekend.

The striker touched the ball just 13 times during the 2-1 win at the Emirates and was replaced by substitute James Wilson in the second half.

Van Gaal broke his policy of speaking about individual performances ahead of United’s clash with Hull City this weekend and admitted that he replaced the Dutchman because his performance was not good enough, and added his belief that Van Persie has lost his self-confidence after a series of below-par displays.

“I also had a striker, an international striker, Mario Gomez who touched the ball nine times in matches at Bayern Munich in my time,” he told reporters.

“But I do think 13 is too few for a striker. You can count his touches of the ball but more important is how he is playing and it was a very bad game from him and that is why I changed him.

“When I change a player it is not because he is the best player on the pitch, or I would be doing something wrong.

“I believe in the players so when I change players it is normally because they are doing something not good in their performance.

“It’s a question also of confidence, maybe a question of scoring a wonderful goal at the right moment. You know how strikers are. They have to score goals. They feel like that, it’s not that I’m asking that. I have said to them you have to be at an attacking point, you have to help our team come and search for space.

“For me, it is not important who is scoring, the team have to score.”

Van Gaal also hinted that Van Persie may lose his place in his starting XI this weekend, with Wilson and a fit-again Radamel Falcao in line to take to the field against Steve Bruce’s side.

“Every player in my selection has to fight for his position,” he said.

“I shall always take the best of the players and it has to be suitable for the mix of players.”

Van Persie has scored three goals in 11 Premier League outings so far this season.

Wenger

Alfrescian
Loyal

Wenger targeting 'at least one' new Arsenal recruit in January

646041_heroa.jpg

By Tom J Doyle
Nov 29, 2014 10:13:00

The Gunners boss acknowledges that his side need fresh faces to kick-start their season but insists that buying players is not as simple as "going into a supermarket"

Arsene Wenger has revealed that he will try to sign "at least one" new recruit during the January transfer window but insists that Arsenal will only target players of the "right quality".

The Gunners boss has been under increasing pressure with a growing injury list contributing to disappointing recent results, with Jack Wilshere ruled out for up to three months following ankle surgery and Mikel Arteta set to miss the rest of 2014 with a calf complaint.

The midfield duo join the likes of Mesut Ozil and Mathieu Debuchy on the sidelines but Wenger says that he will not sign sub-standard players as reinforcements given competition in the market.

"In January we will try to get at least one body in," he told reporters. "You have to give us time. We do our job as always.

"This season we bought five players who are all top quality so I think we have done really well, we will try to repeat that.

"To buy football players is not to go into a supermarket and just say: 'I want to buy a right-back or a centre-back.' It's to find the right quality. If you go out tomorrow you will see that everybody looks for the same positions. It's not as simple as it looks."

The Gunners currently sit eighth in the Premier League – 15 points behind table-toppers Chelsea – and though Wenger has rejected rumours of an approach for Chelsea goalkeeper Petr Cech, he is hopeful of surprising fans with potential arrivals.

"In January it makes it even more difficult because players are even less available than in June or July," he added, "but we will try to be creative and have one or two good ideas.

"We have gone through a period where we are very short but January might be a month when we have nearly everybody back."

Schurrle

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Party on: Mourinho lifts Chelsea Christmas ban

598431_heroa.jpg

By Harry Sherlock
Nov 29, 2014 10:38:00

The Portuguese has been delighted with his team's displays so far this season and intends to allow them to let their hair down ahead of the packed festive period

Jose Mourinho has revealed that he will allow his Chelsea players to enjoy the festive period more than usual this season, having lifted the club ban on Christmas parties.

The Portuguese suspended last year’s event after a 2-1 League Cup loss to Sunderland on December 17.

But Mourinho has now moved to ensure his players let their hair down ahead of the hectic Christmas schedule, and says he trusts his squad to ensure they maintain their fitness levels following a scintillating start to the season.

"I think it’s more important what they do when they are not with us than what they do with us," said Mourinho, who can see his side move nine points clear at the top of the Premier League with a win over the Black Cats this weekend.

"With us, the percentage of the day is so small that what they can do here they can destroy in one click. And they have 20 hours to do that. It’s their responsibility. When they come here better today than yesterday and the recovery process is fluid, it’s because they’re doing that very well.

"Probably, because of that, the club is preparing a little Christmas party for them and their families. This is a squad with lots of young guys with kids a couple of weeks to 10-years-old. I think it’s good for them."

Mourinho rubbished any suggestion that he would dress up as Chelsea’s very own Father Christmas, but admits that the party will involve players and children alike.

"I think I have to go to say a couple of words and, after that, to leave them with their families and kids," he said. "There are Christmas parties and Christmas parties.

"This one I think the families deserve and the boys are very happy to be with their families."

Such is Mourinho’s pleasure at his team’s displays, he does not intend to ask Roman Abramovich to finance a January transfer splurge, claiming that his squad is "perfect."

"I don’t want people to leave — I don’t want people to come in," he added. "That, for me, is the perfect situation.

"If other teams do it in January, good for them. It will not be something I will use by saying, ‘these guys spend €38 million more’."