• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

☆ Barclays Premier League Season 2014-15 ☆

Redknapp

Alfrescian
Loyal

Beaten Pardew skips press conference

Under-fire Newcastle manager Alan Pardew dodged the press conference after his side were humbled by former club Southampton.

Alan%20Pardew%20manager%20of%20Newcastle%20United%20%28R%29%20looks%20thoughtful.jpg

Sunday 14th September 2014

A poor start to the Barclays Premier League season has seen the 53-year-old - already a divisive figure in the north east - come under increasing pressure.

A recent poll showed 85 per cent of supporters did not want Pardew to stay on as Newcastle manager and they made that clear throughout Saturday's 4-0 defeat at Southampton.

Chants punctuated the thrashing at St Mary's, while a 'Pardew out' banner was held up in the away end and one angry fan even encroached on the pitch at full-time.

Perhaps wary of the scrutiny he would come under, Pardew did not attend the post-match press conference - nor did any of his staff - and only spoke to the broadcast media.

Asked if the fans' criticism was unfair, he told Sky Sports: "They're fair because you can't get beaten 4-0 as Newcastle manager. I've had it a few times and at this club it is tough to take.

"It is not easy to digest and not easy for the players either to play under those circumstances, so we have to be strong and try and tough it out this week and come back next week.

"We just have to put ourselves on the line, really, and be brave. Certainly, today, for us we have a bit more quality than we showed today, for sure, and we need to get that on the pitch."

Pardew was apologetic after what was a miserable display from his side, while Southampton manager Ronald Koeman was sympathetic to his counterpart's cause.

"I understand how difficult the situation is for them, and for Pardew, the manager," he said.

"They have qualities, they showed that as well, and for that reason it was a great result we got.

"It's always difficult because it's part of our job, you have to be concentrated every day. After a nice win, we have to prepare ourselves for next week.

"It's football, it's going fast and if it's going bad you have to wait to win again and if you are winning you have to be prepared over what is going to come.

"That's our job and if we don't like it we have to do something about it."

In the build-up to this game, Pardew pleaded for patience as he looks to blood in a host of summer acquisitions - a problem Koeman is making light work of.

Graziano Pelle, one of six recent signings starting for Saints, netted a first-half brace, which Jack Cork and Morgan Schneiderlin complemented with efforts after the break.

"We had a great start," Koeman said. "We spoke about it because in our last match at home against West Bromwich we didn't do it in a good way and the tempo was too low.

"We had a great start, a high tempo and the big difference was we were really pressing in the beginning, we didn't give them the time to build up.

"We scored two fast goals and that gave us the confidence to play in a good way.

"It was a great performance during the first 45 minutes. We work very hard in every session.

"We know we need time, we know we have a lot of changes in the team but that's the reason you do training sessions to improve the qualities of the players and to bring the qualities of the players together, to have a good organisation in attack and defence. It is going well until now."

Redknapp

Alfrescian
Loyal

Leicester get first win in a decade

Leonardo Ulloa gave Leicester their first Barclays Premier League victory for 10 years at Stoke.

Leonardo%20Ulloa%20of%20Leicester%20City%20celebrates%20scoring%20the%20first%20goal%20with%20David%20Nugent%20and%20Jeffrey%20Schlupp%20of%20Leicester%20City%20.jpg

Sunday 14th September 2014

The Foxes had made an encouraging start to life back in the top flight with draws against Everton and Arsenal, and record signing Ulloa's third of the season in the 64th minute earned them a 1-0 win at the Britannia Stadium.

Stoke bossed the first half but were left to rue the lack of a cutting edge, while debutant goalkeeper Ben Hamer denied them a point with two great saves late on.

Hamer was making his Premier League bow after Kasper Schmeichel suffered a knee injury on international duty, bringing to an end the Dane's run of 141 consecutive league starts.

Stoke's match-winner against Manchester City, Mame Biram Diouf, was on the bench after his lengthy international trip with Senegal, so Bojan Krkic came into the starting line-up.

The game had barely got started when there was a lengthy stoppage after Ryan Shawcross and Jeff Schlupp accidentally clashed heads.

The Stoke skipper came off worse, sustaining a cut above his right eye, but he played on with a bandage wrapped around his forehead.

After a quiet opening, the hosts began to exert more pressure on Hamer's goal, with Steven Nzonzi the first to try his luck, but the midfielder's impressive run was not matched by his finish.

Probably the best chance of the half fell to Peter Crouch in the 18th minute, when he was picked out by Victor Moses from a corner but headed wide from eight yards.

Hamer was handling most things well, although the 26-year-old summer signing from Charlton was slightly fortunate to get away with fumbling a Jonathan Walters cross.

Leicester did not manage their first meaningful effort until the 27th minute, when Andy King let fly from 20 yards. Asmir Begovic dived but the ball was always going wide of the far post.

Two minutes later Crouch was yellow-carded for a lunging foul on David Nugent seconds after the striker was denied his own free-kick.

Crouch responded in the right manner, though, and almost added another to his collection of spectacular goals with an acrobatic volley from Glenn Whelan's cross that flew just over the bar.

The former England man was in the mood and had Hamer scrambling in the 38th minute with a shot that just missed the far post.

Leicester had been outplayed in the first half, even if the score did not reflect that, and boss Nigel Pearson made two changes for the second half.

Esteban Cambiasso, who last season made 32 appearances for Inter Milan, replaced King while Danny Drinkwater came on for Riyad Mahrez.

Cambiasso and Bojan found themselves on opposite sides again having met twice in Milan derbies in the 2012/13 Serie A season.

Bojan had been neat and tidy without making too much impact, but he showed good feet in the 52nd minute to create a shooting opportunity, only to direct his effort straight at Hamer.

Cambiasso's presence certainly seemed to help Leicester take more control of the game, and they got their reward in the 64th minute.

Ulloa and Drinkwater combined to tee up Paul Konchesky on the left, whose cross was guided home by the Argentinian striker.

It was a decent finish from Ulloa, who had to pull the ball back from behind him.

Stoke responded immediately and Bojan appealed after appearing to be tripped from behind right on the edge of the area, but referee Michael Oliver waved play on.

The Potters continued to create plenty of half-chances but the ball just would not fall for them, while Leicester defended manfully.

Diouf made his entrance in the 74th minute in place of Bojan while Jamie Vardy replaced Schlupp.

Stoke were beginning to leave gaps at the back and, after Drinkwater was denied by a combination of Begovic and two defenders, Dean Hammond saw his fierce effort fly just past the post.

Oussama Assiaid made his second Stoke debut on loan from Liverpool with eight minutes remaining but the Potters could not find a leveller.

Hamer came to his side's rescue in the 90th minute with crucial saves first from Diouf and then Moses.

MeeSoupOzil

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Sometimes the newly promoted teams start really well but by Xmas they run out of steam and suffer injuries then their slide begins. By the end of the season they are usually somewhere in mid table or close to the relegation zone or even suffer relegation.

Willian

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Sometimes the newly promoted teams start really well but by Xmas they run out of steam and suffer injuries then their slide begins. By the end of the season they are usually somewhere in mid table or close to the relegation zone or even suffer relegation.

And the clubs would be Man Yoo and Newcastle. :wink:

Ramsey

Alfrescian
Loyal

Give me more: Louis van Gaal raises bar for match-winner Angel di Maria

Manchester United post first competitive victory in five games under new manager with 4-0 thrashing of Queens Park Rangers

PUBLISHED : Monday, 15 September, 2014, 8:42am
UPDATED : Monday, 15 September, 2014, 9:00am

Agence France-Presse in Manchester

soccer-england_kfd114.jpg

Angel di Maria celebrates after opening the scoring in the 4-0 win against Queens Park Rangers at Old Trafford. Photo: Reuters

Manager Louis van Gaal urged Angel di Maria to give even more after he inspired Manchester United to a 4-0 victory over Queens Park Rangers on his home debut.

The Argentina international, United’s record signing, upstaged debutant Radamel Falcao in Sunday’s game at Old Trafford with a goal, an assist and a hand in the home side’s two other goals.

He came off in the 82nd minute after suffering cramp and although Van Gaal heralded his contribution, he expected the £59.7 million winger to get even better.

“Di Maria is all right, but he has cramp. Normally you have to play 90 minutes without cramp, but that’s also a positive symbol that he gave everything,” the Dutchman said.

“When you prepare three goals and you make [score] the first goal yourself, you cannot play bad. But he had a lot of unnecessary losses, so we can do better. Even Angel di Maria.

“Can you do better when you prepare three goals and make one? It’s nearly impossible. But I’m a coach and I analyse the game and I see things we have to improve as a team.”

britain_soccer_premier_league_mjs119.jpg

Manchester United's Radamel Falcao is thwarted by Queens Park Rangers keeper Robert Green. Photo: AP

Di Maria put United ahead in the 24th minute with a free-kick from wide on the right that crept in at the far post.

He instigated the moves that saw Ander Herrera and Wayne Rooney swell United’s lead with a pair of low strikes before half-time and then teed up Juan Mata to add a fourth goal with a mishit shot in the 58th minute.

Having seen his side go four games without winning prior to Sunday’s game, Van Gaal rejigged his line-up by introducing a four-man defence and a diamond midfield.

But despite the impressive nature of United’s performance, the former Netherlands coach said the decision to jettison his 3-4-1-2 formation had been imposed upon him by circumstance.

“I could hardly play with five defenders because [Chris] Smalling and [Phil] Jones were injured,” Van Gaal said.

“So I was more or less forced to play with four defenders, but it’s also because of the quality of players that I changed the system.

“I said to the players before the match that we have to make a new start today.”

britain_soccer_english_premier_league_._001.jpg

Ander Herrera gets in on the goal-scoring act. Photo: EPA

United, who also gave debuts to Marcos Rojo and Daley Blind, finished the game with substitute Falcao alongside Robin van Persie in attack and with Rooney operating as a number 10.

But Van Gaal dismissed suggestions this could be the most attacking side he has ever coached.

“I’ve worked already more than 35 years and I’ve played always on the attack,” said the former Ajax, Barcelona and Bayern Munich coach.

fbl-eng-pr-man_utd-qpr_jr091.jpg

Juan Mata helps himself to the fourth goal. Photo: AFP

“All my teams have scored the most of the league, so I hope at the end of this league we’ll also score the most.

“But it’s not our goal. Our goal is to be in the first three, because we have to qualify for the Champions League.

“The most important thing is the trajectory. We are building a process and we have to play in a certain style, we have to improve our qualities.

“And at the end I hope to be the manager of the champions of the Premier League. If it is not this year, then in my second or third year, but I want to give the championship to the fans.”

britain_soccer_english_premier_league_.jpg

Angel Di Maria shakes hands with Louis van Gaal after being substituted. Photo: EPA

QPR manager Harry Redknapp, who has never picked up a point in 15 league visits to Old Trafford, said his side were short of fitness.

“One or two of my players are still trying to get their fitness,” he said. “Leroy Fer has had two weeks away with Holland, probably standing around being used as a cone.

“Sandro ended up with cramp because he’s played one game all season. We need to get a few of them up to speed and if we do, I think we’ve got a great chance.”

Schurrle

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

'It was embarrassing' - Rio Ferdinand lifts lid on Moyes' Manchester United reign

455614_heroa.jpg

By Sam Lee
Sep 15, 2014 09:50:00

The Queens Park Rangers centre-back says the Scot "slowly lost" his squad thanks to his unclear tactical approach

Former Manchester United defender Rio Ferdinand says David Moyes' tactical approach during his time at Old Trafford was "embarrassing".

Ferdinand, who was allowed to leave Old Trafford in May before moving to Queens Park Rangers, gave his views on Moyes' time at the club in his new autobiography, #2sides.

And the QPR defender says the Scot created a "negative vibe" within the squad with mixed messages on the training ground.

"He tried to impose a vision but never seemed to be completely clear what that vision should be," he said. "Unintentionally, he created a negative vibe where, with Fergie, it had always been positive.

"He'd slowly lost us. I didn't enjoy playing under him. Sometimes our main tactic was the long, high, diagonal cross. It was embarrassing.

"Moyes's innovations led to negativity and confusion. It was always how to stop the other side. Moyes set us up not to lose. We'd been accustomed to playing to win."

The former England defender also revealed that Moyes' decision to ban healthy, low-fat chips on nights before matches also left players "p***** off", and that following his sacking in April the United players asked for them to be reinstated by stand-in boss Ryan Giggs.

Schurrle

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

'There will be a moment when I cannot score' - Costa philosophical about blistering Chelsea start

455390_heroa.jpg

By Liam Twomey
Sep 15, 2014 08:50:00

The 25-year-old became the first player in Premier League history to score seven goals in his first four matches with a clinical hat-trick against Swansea City on Saturday

Diego Costa admits he won't be able to keep up the blistering scoring form which has seen him light up the Premier League this season.

A clinical hat-trick against Swansea City at Stamford Bridge on Saturday helped preserve Chelsea's 100 per cent start to the season and took Costa's personal tally to seven goals in his first four matches in England.

The Brazil-born Spaniard already has more Premier League goals to his name than Fernando Torres managed in the entirety of his final season with the Blues but is not getting carried away with his dream introduction to English football.

"It is different for every striker who comes here," Costa told reporters after his hat-trick heroics.

"Every striker has their way of playing and their strengths and a different team behind them. That is very important. If you do not have the team behind you then you can't do things on your own. It all depends on the team. It could be because of that.

"I try to play in the best manner, and *hopefully things will continue like this. But there will be a moment when I cannot score - that is football."

Schurrle

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Di Maria can do better for Manchester United, insists Van Gaal

455926_heroa.jpg

By Chris Davie
Sep 15, 2014 08:04:00

Despite the 26-year-old's impressive Old Trafford debut and opening goal against QPR, the Dutchman believes the winger could have been more effective in possession

Louis van Gaal insists Angel Di Maria "can do better" despite the Argentine's influential display in Manchester United’s 4-0 win over QPR on Sunday.

The €75 million summer signing from Real Madrid scored a free kick on his Old Trafford debut and set up Juan Mata for United's fourth goal in the 58th minute.

Di Maria also played a pivotal role in a number of United's attacks before he was brought off with eight minutes remaining, but Van Gaal believes the 26-year-old could have been better in possession.

"When you make three goals and score the first yourself then you cannot play badly," the Dutchman told reporters.

"But he had a lot of unnecessary losses [of possession], so he can do better.

"It's nearly impossible to do better when you score one goal and help make three others, but I'm analysing the game and I see things we can improve on."

Schurrle

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Bruce makes plea to Hull fans

15 September 2014

651759header.jpg

Steve Bruce has urged Hull City fans to get behind the team against West Ham on Monday rather than target owner Assem Allam.

The controversial Allam last week revealed he would either finally succeed in changing the club’s name to Hull Tigers, or sell the Premier League outfit based on "whichever came first".

Hull fans have made no secret of their views over his proposed name change, but Bruce wants them to back his new-look side against Sam Allardyce's men rather than stage another protest during the match.

"My appeal to all of the fans is that they can have their thoughts but once it gets to matchday, we need them to get behind the team," Hull manager Bruce said.

"We need them to do that because if it becomes fractious then it becomes difficult.

"When it becomes difficult then it can affect the team. That is why I appeal to the fans.

"We don't want any protests - even though I know nothing's changed on their behalf with the name-change issue.

"We want the supporters to get behind the team, that's my concern, and I'm sure they will.

"The protests hit their peak against Crystal Palace last season, and it seemed to wane after that. We lost that game and we should have won if I remember.

"We need all the supporters, if they can, to support the team. Of course they can keep their opinions - but not on a match day because that just harms everybody."

Schurrle

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Arsenal blow as Debuchy faces up to three months out

456305_heroa.jpg

Sep 15, 2014 23:28:00

The Frenchman suffered ankle ligament damage against Manchester City on Saturday and is now set for a lengthy spell on the sidelines following scans on the problem

By Wayne Veysey | Chief Correspondent

Mathieu Debuchy is set to be sidelined for up to three months with ankle ligament damage, Goal can reveal.

Arsenal received the Frenchman's scan results on Monday night after the swelling had subsided on the ankle injury he sustained against Manchester City on Saturday.

Goal understands that Debuchy has been diagnosed with a grade three ankle sprain, the most severe type that involves a tear of the ligament.

Although there will be relief that the France international has not broken a bone, he is expected to be sidelined for between eight to 12 weeks.

It is a huge blow for Arsene Wenger, whose already meagre defensive resources have now been further weakened.

With deputy right-back Calum Chambers struggling with tonsillitis, Wenger is ready to turn to another rookie, Hector Bellerin, for Tuesday's Champions League group opener against 2013 runners-up Borussia Dortmund.

Bellerin, 19, who is yet to make his full Arsenal debut, is part of the travelling party that arrived in Dortmund on Monday evening.

Debuchy is the latest long-term absentee for Arsenal, along with Theo Walcott (knee) and Olivier Giroud, who is out until at least November with a broken foot.

It leaves Laurent Koscielny, Per Mertesacker and Kieran Gibbs as the only fit senior defenders in the Gunners squad.

Nacho Monreal will miss the Dortmund match with a back injury but is expected to be available for the weekend trip to Aston Villa.

Wenger had said earlier on Monday he was unsure of the length of Debuchy's absence as he awaited the player's scan results but admitted his resources are stretched.

Wenger said: "In defence the Debuchy injury puts us a little bit in a situation where we do not want more. Hopefully we will have good news after he has a scan and that he will be back soon.

"We have Chambers who can play in different positions, Monreal can play centre back and we also have Bellerin who I think is now ready to play."

Dzeko

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Vargas wants ´long-term´ QPR stay

16 September 2014

653009header.jpg

QPR striker Eduardo Vargas says he wants to stay in the Premier League for the "long term".

The Chilean - on loan from Serie A club Napoli until the end of the season - made his debut as a second-half substitute as Harry Redknapp's men suffered a 4-0 defeat at the hands of Manchester United on Sunday.

Despite the result at Old Trafford, Vargas says he was able to take the positives from the encounter as he continues to settle into his new surroundings.

"Obviously I'm saddened by the result for myself and for the team," he told the club's official website. "On the pitch I felt fine but we have to keep working and I have to get to know my team-mates better.

"We are a good team and we just need to keep on working.

"My job is to score goals. I've not played a lot of football over the past few weeks but hopefully I can get my first goal soon."

And Vargas revealed he had a very good first impression of English football, hinting at a desire to make his temporary deal more permanent.

"I have played in Spain and Italy and it was a great experience," he added. "This style of football suits me better and I have to just keep working hard so that I can stay long term."

Vargas scored 69 seconds into QPR Under-21s' 2-1 win over Millwall on Monday, but was replaced before half-time after suffering a cut to the head, requiring four stitches.

Redknapp

Alfrescian
Loyal

Everton to explore new stadium plans

456454_heroa.jpg

By Jack Davies
Sep 16, 2014 18:14:00

The new ground would be located around one mile from Goodison Park at Walton Hall Park, with chairman Bill Kenwright confident the opportunity cannot be missed

Everton and Liverpool City Council have announced they are looking at plans for the club to move to a new stadium.

The proposed new ground would be at at Walton Hall Park, replacing Goodison Park - Everton's home since 1892 - and form part of a wider regeneration project in the area.

The site for the development is around a mile to the north-east of Goodison Park, which is described as "the first major football stadium built in England" - and Bill Kenwright feels it is too good to pass up.

"An opportunity to explore the possibility of securing the new home we've looked for, for so long, is hugely exciting to me, but to do that in a way that supports, transforms and sustains our local communities, in our Everton heartland, is such a wonderful, added bonus," he said in statement.

"It would fill me with great pride. It could be something very special for our city, the residents of North Liverpool and all Evertonians - a new home that goes beyond football and does what Everton does better than anyone else.

"Of course, there's an enormous amount of work to do - that again, involves fixing a huge financial jigsaw - but we are certain it's an opportunity we should pursue with great commitment, endeavour and ambition.

"Like all Evertonians, I love Goodison Park and have done since the day I first set foot in the Boy's Pen but the prospect of developing a new stadium, and a new and vibrant community, just down the road from us, is to be grasped and encouraged."

Mayor of Liverpool Joe Anderson added: "I am really pleased that we have identified this exciting opportunity for North Liverpool. We know that this is an area of the city that requires substantial investment and this project could bring this in a unique form.

"Everton's investment into this area would be the catalyst for a development which could make a real difference."

The partners in the proposed project, which also include Liverpool Mutual Homes and Everton in the Community, will now meet to discuss ideas for the site in collaboration with the local community, with a view to a planning application being submitted in the next 12 months.

Previous plans to move Everton out of Liverpool to nearby Kirkby were met with objections from a large section of the club's fanbase.

Willian

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Sir Alex Ferguson admits to Jurgen Klopp he failed with Shinji Kagawa at Manchester United

Former United manager concedes that he was unable to coax the best out of Borussia Dortmund's talented Japanese playmaker

Shinji_Kagawa_3038879b.jpg

On target: After re-signing for Borussia Dortmund Shinji Kagawa showed Manchester United what they were missing with a dream second debut against Freiburg Photo: GETTY IMAGES

By Telegraph Sport
1:15PM BST 15 Sep 2014

Jürgen Klopp says that Sir Alex Ferguson has admitted to him that he failed to coax the best out of Shinji Kagawa during his frustrating two-year spell at Old Trafford.

The former Manchester United manager conceded that the talented Japanese playmaker, who scored one and set up another goal on a dream second debut for Klopp's Borussia Dortmund against SC Freiburg at the weekend, was wasted in England.

The Dortmund manager, 47, re-signed Kagawa for £6.3 million in the recent transfer window, ending the attacker's torrid time in Manchester. The 25-year-old netted just half-a-dozen goals for United in 38 Premier League appearances and was used mostly off the bench.

Those figures pale in comparison to the 21 goals in 49 appearances for Klopp's Dortumnd in his first spell, as the club achieved back-to-back Bundesliga crowns.

Ferguson told Klopp that he was unable to get the best out of Kagawa at Uefa's annual managers' meeting in Switzerland at the start of September.

“I met Sir Alex in Nyon and he’s still in love with Shinji," Klopp is quoted as saying in The Sun on Sunday.

"He told me: ‘Shame we didn’t manage this well so that it worked out for him. We were satisfied in the first year.’

“And in the second year you usually make the next step but he didn’t manage to do it.

"But Sir Alex was saying: ‘Shame we should have made this work.’”

Willian

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

FA reveals plans for crackdown on non-EU players joining Premier League clubs

Consultative paper issued to the English game’s other major stakeholders on the back of Greg Dyke’s England Commission aims to halve number of non-EU players

Greg-Dyke_3040840b.jpg

Game-changer: Greg Dyke hopes to reduce the number of non-EU players given work permits in the UK Photo: GETTY IMAGES

By Ben Rumsby
10:00PM BST 16 Sep 2014

The Football Association on Tuesday night unveiled detailed plans for a crackdown on non-European players joining Premier League clubs – from which anyone costing more than £15 million would be exempt.

The radical proposals, aimed at halving the number of signings from outside the European Union, were revealed in a consultative paper issued to the English game’s other major stakeholders on the back of Greg Dyke’s England Commission.

The report produced by that commission in May floated the idea of Premier League B teams as part of a drive to give more opportunities to home-grown youngsters, something rejected by the Football League. But it also recommended steps to reduce the number of non-European Union players given work permits in the UK, an ambition that Dyke, the FA chairman, is more hopeful will meet with approval and be implemented in time for next season.

The proposals contained in the consultative paper – which requires the agreement of the Premier League, Football League, Professional Footballers’ Association, League Managers Association and the national FAs of Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland to be implemented by the Home Office – include banning lower-league clubs from signing any non-EU players. It also seeks to prevent such players being loaned out by Premier League teams and reducing the list of countries from which those individuals can apply for visas from the top 70 in the Fifa rankings to the top 50.

It calls for a revamp of an appeals system in which nearly 80 per cent of those initially refused a work permit have successfully obtained one, suggesting appeals should be limited exclusively to cases where the correct process has not been followed. But it also proposes the relaxation of certain criteria in order to make it easier for top-flight clubs to sign truly world-class players from any country.

That includes the introduction of what is described as a “transfer fee exemption”, which the FA said would apply to any player costing more than £15 million – possibly even £10 million.

With ever-increasing transfer fees in the Premier League, that could apply to a great many number of players and is unlikely to lead to a huge change in the number of home-grown youngsters being given an opportunity at the highest level.

The paper also proposes reducing the number of competitive matches that players from countries with a Fifa ranking in the top 30 must have played in the past two years from 75 per cent to 30 per cent.

The FA said: “The FA has proposed changes to the current system by which non-EU players are able to play in English football in a bid to reduce the numbers coming to England from next season by up to 50 per cent. There will now be consultations with the Premier League, The Football League. the PFA, the LMA and the national FA’s of Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland as required by the Home Office.

“Following the consultations, the FA is planning to take a paper back to the Home Office later this year so that the new system could apply from the beginning of the 2015-16 system.”

Abramovich

Alfrescian
Loyal

Newcastle United in crisis: Leading candidates to take over from Alan Pardew at St James’ Park

Steve Bruce
Was close to getting the job back in 2009 after Joe Kinnear departed, but Newcastle did not want to pay Wigan compensation. As a Geordie, he would find it very difficult to turn down, but will want a big say in transfer policy.

David Moyes
Newcastle tried to lure him away from Everton, but Moyes was not willing to move from Goodison. Is out of work, though, and looking to return to the Premier League after his bruising experience at Manchester United. A strong candidate.

Tony Pulis
Stock has soared after short stint at Crystal Palace and did a great job at Stoke before that. Is out of work and could well be tempted, but did not enjoy limitations placed on him at Palace where he did not have complete control of player recruitment.

Steve McClaren
The other front-runner should Alan Pardew be sacked. He is friendly with the Mike Ashley regime and is admired as a coach who will improve players he inherits. Willing to work as a head coach rather than a manager in traditional sense.

Tim Sherwood
Has not been damaged by short spell as Tottenham’s head coach and will work under similar terms at Newcastle, but has proven difficult to negotiate with when going for other jobs since he left White Hart Lane. Has to be considered an outsider.

Schurrle

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

'Januzaj does not fit at Manchester United'

456992_heroa.jpg

By Tom Maston
Sep 17, 2014 09:24:00

The Belgium international scored a hat-trick for the club's Under-21 side on Monday and former winger Keith Gillespie believes his opportunities are limited at Old Trafford

Former Manchester United winger Keith Gillespie believes Adnan Januzaj is struggling to fit in at Old Trafford this season.

Despite an impressive breakthrough campaign under David Moyes, the Belgium international has found himself restricted to a place on the bench in each of the Red Devils' first five matches under Louis van Gaal.

The new United boss has reinforced his squad this summer and experimented with wing-backs, meaning Januzaj has been squeezed out of the first-team picture in the opening weeks of the season.

And Gillespie, who left the club in 1995 despite being part of the famous 'Class of 92' FA Youth Cup winning side, feels Van Gaal's 3-5-2 system does not allow for attacking wingers such as the 19-year-old.

"Unfortunately, with the embarrassment of riches Manchester United have at the moment, he's not first choice," he told the Manchester Evening News.

"He's still young though and is learning the game. He needs games to bring out his potential.

"Last season was very poor for United, but he was probably the one shining light in a team which didn't perform.

"Just look at the players in the team now, the likes of Angel Di Maria, Juan Mata, Wayne Rooney, Robin van Persie and Radamel Falcao.

"He's a winger and I'm not sure he can adapt and play as a wing back. He needs to play further forward. It's very difficult to fit him in to the system."

Januzaj himself, meanwhile, has revealed that he is willing to play as much football as possible to impress Van Gaal, even if that means appearing for the youth team.

The teenager scored a hat-trick as the club's Under-21 side ran out 4-0 winners over Sunderland on Monday, though he admitted he is also working on other aspects of his game in order to catch his manager's attention.

"Of course, I played a lot of games last season and I'm trying to impress the manager once again and get games again this year as well," he said.

"I tried to do my best. Obviously, even if it's reserves level, I always have to show myself and improve.

"I got a hat-trick but I think I worked hard defensively as well and these are the kind of things I have to do now and at first-team level.

"I don't do it for any other people but for myself. I look after myself. Even if I have to play Under-18s, I have to do it and try to improve every time I play."

Schurrle

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Newcastle winger Gutierrez diagnosed with testicular cancer

456975_heroa.jpg

By Dejan Kalinic
Sep 17, 2014 07:57:00

The Argentina international has returned to his home country to undergo treatment and hopes his story will help others who have suffered with the disease

Newcastle United winger Jonas Gutierrez has revealed he has been undergoing treatment for testicular cancer in his native Argentina.

The 31-year-old, who last played in April while on loan at Norwich City, returned to South America when the illness was diagnosed and has had his left testicle removed.

Gutierrez spoke about his battle with cancer on Tuesday, saying it made other problems "insignificant".

"When I confirmed that I had cancer I went home crying. This was the most difficult game I had to play," he told Argentine TV.

"I detected a tumour in a testicle. I came here [Argentina] and I assumed the costs, despite having a contract with Newcastle.

"Money is not important. What is important is health and I had to start chemotherapy.

"I removed the left testicle. I returned to England and Newcastle told me to leave. It was hard to find my hair falling out. I did not want to cut it. I wanted to hold on.

"Fighting cancer makes the rest of the problems insignificant.

"I decided to tell my story because maybe it will help people who have cancer."

Gutierrez thanked fans for their support on Twitter late on Tuesday, tweeting that he was "always looking forward".

Schurrle

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Union quash Moyes talk

17 September 2014

655277header.jpg

Philadelphia Union dismissed rumours linking former Manchester United manager David Moyes to the MLS club's coaching vacancy.

The Union are on the lookout for a new coach after John Hackworth was sacked in June and Moyes has appeared as a possible candidate after being spotted at two consecutive matches.

Moyes - without a job since being sacked by United in April - was in attendance as New York Red Bulls beat the Union in Eastern Conference action on Saturday.

He was a noticeable onlooker during Seattle Sounders' US Open Cup final success against Philadelphia on Tuesday.

However, Union CEO Nick Sakiewicz insisted Moyes' presence had nothing to do with the coaching job, which is being occupied by Jim Curtin on an interim basis.

"David Moyes is a friend and colleague of a number of us within our club and he was visiting our youth academy and club setup on his way to another location in the US," Sakiewicz stated.

"We played Everton FC in 2011 at PPL Park and since then we've had a friendship with David.

"He is an outstanding individual and we are honoured to know him and have an ongoing relationship."

Dzeko

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

FA aiming to cut down foreign imports

The Football Association has announced proposals to cut the number of players from outside the European Union coming into the English game by up to 50 per cent.

Didier%20Drogba,%20Thibaut%20Courtois%20and%20John%20Obi%20Mikel%20of%20Chelsea%20watch.jpg

Wednesday 17th September 2014

Some 122 overseas players were granted visas between 2009 and 2013, 23 of them in the Football League.

The FA is proposing only Premier League clubs be allowed to sign non-EU players, and also be prevented from sending them out on loan, as part of a number of changes recommended by FA chairman Greg Dyke's England Commission.

Furthermore, only players from the top 50-ranked countries in the world could be signed unless the transfer fee is more than a fixed figure, either £10million or £15million.

An FA statement said: "The defined criteria are designed to result in visas only for those elite sportspeople who are internationally established at the highest level [and] whose employment will make a significant contribution to the development of their sport at the highest level in the UK."

The appeals system would also be toughened up so that clubs can only appeal on the basis of incorrect process - currently nearly 80% of all appeals are successful and tribunals are often asked to make subjective judgments on playing ability.

The ruling would apply to all players from Brazil, Argentina, Asia, Africa, the Americas, and Australasia who do not hold EU passports.

The proposals are contained in an FA consultative paper - which it is required to produce under Home Office rules - and it will now hold talks with the Premier League, Football League, PFA, LMA and the national FAs of Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland.

One change would make it slightly easier for the best non-EU players to gain work permits by reducing from 75 per cent to 30 per cent the number of competitive international matches that non-EU players from countries in the top 30 must have played in the previous two years.

The system, called the Governing Body Endorsement (GBE) process, was introduced by the Home Office in 2008 to allow sports governing bodies to each manage a system for endorsing visa applications of elite players from non-EU countries.

Dzeko

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Costa's hamstring concerns Mourinho

Jose Mourinho was unable to call upon Diego Costa for the Champions League Group G opener with Schalke due to the Spain striker's hamstring problem.

Diego%20Costa%20of%20Chelsea%20reacts%20during%20the%20UEFA%20Champions%20League%20Group%20G%20match.jpg

Thursday 18th September 2014

Chelsea were held to a 1-1 draw by Schalke, who they twice beat 3-0 last term, after Cesc Fabregas' 11th-minute strike was cancelled out by Klaas-Jan Huntelaar.

Costa, who has scored seven goals in his first four Premier League games following his £32million summer move from Atletico Madrid, came off the bench but was unable to find a winner.

"Costa has a problem," said Mourinho of the striker, who scored a hat-trick in Saturday's defeat of Swansea.

"If he has one week to let the muscle recover he can start a game. Playing on Saturday, three days is not enough for him to recover.

"It was not to protect for the game Sunday (at Manchester City) it was because today he was not in condition to start the game."

Costa limped out of last season's Champions League final with Atletico with a hamstring problem and the injury recurred while on international duty earlier this month with Spain.

"He played here one match and he was perfect," Mourinho said.

"He went to the national team and after the game against France he came back to us injured.

"He came to us (from Atletico) and he was completely fine. He had a problem again in the national team, not with us.

"Now we have the problem and now we have to resolve the problem the best we can.

"Today he was not in condition to play. Sunday we believe he is.

"Next week against Bolton (in the Capital One Cup) for sure he isn't. We have to manage the situation until the moment he's completely fine.

"If today he starts the game, for sure he cannot play on Sunday. We have to go step by step."

The Germans were severely depleted by injury and reeling from their worst Bundesliga start in more than 40 years.

It appeared Chelsea would run amok after a scintillating start, with Eden Hazard to the fore.

Instead Chelsea failed to take their chances, with Didier Drogba among those culpable, and Mourinho was left to rue defensive lapses as Schalke equalised and held on for a point.

It appeared Huntelaar had fouled Fabregas in the build-up to the goal - the Spain midfielder had appeared to have tackled Max Meyer late in the move which led to his goal - but Mourinho had no complaints.

"From my position I can't say that (it was a foul)," Mourinho added.

"They scored 1-1 in a counter-attack situation. We made two mistakes.

"One was not to make a foul immediately when they recovered the ball and we had a chance for that.

"The other one was the fact I told my players 20 times Draxler wants to come inside for his right foot and in a situation inside the box we have to press his right foot. It was also a mistake in the box.

"After that situation only one team tried to win and only one team had so many chances to win the game in a short period of time.

"In the last 15 minutes Remy could score, John Terry could score, Hazard could score.

"We had so many great situations. Again, that's football. To defend like they did is also football.

"A good point for them. Not a fantastic point for us, but a point."

Drogba deputised for Costa on his first Champions League appearance for Chelsea since scoring the decisive penalty in the 2012 European Cup win.

The Ivory Coast striker was unable to convert passes from Willian and Hazard, but Mourinho refused to be critical of the 36-year-old.

"He had a positive game," Mourinho said.

"I'm not disappointed with the striker because of one inch, he scores a goal or doesn't score a goal.

"I am happy with what he did. If he scores that goal in this moment we're speaking about 2-0, not 1-1.

"We had very good chances to score the 2-0 and we didn't.

"After the 1-1 we had a fantastic reaction and chances to win the game, but that's football, that's Champions League, that's normal.

"Congratulations to them because they got their objective. Yes a little bit of frustration for us, because we did everything to win and we couldn't."

Schalke boss Jens Keller was thrilled with his side's display.

He said: "I'm very, very proud of what my team did here against such a top team.

"Tactically we did exactly how we had planned. We were aggressive, we played right into space.

"We had really good tempo with Draxler and Sidney Sam.

"I'm absolutely delighted with the performance we gave here today."