• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

☆ Barclays Premier League Season 2014-15 ☆

Dzeko

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Wenger hits back at Gerrard: No one is too good for Arsenal

436743_heroa.jpg

By Alex Young
Aug 1, 2014 18:15:00

The Liverpool captain has revealed he would have been disappointed if Luis Suarez joined the Gunners last summer as his talent was only worthy of a move to Real Madrid or Barcelona

Arsene Wenger has hit back at Steven Gerrard's claims that Luis Suarez was "too good for Arsenal".

The Gunners bid twice for the striker last summer in the belief that an offer of over €50 million would trigger a release clause, a contractual agreement that Liverpool denied at the time but since admitted did exist.

Gerrard admitted he would have been "disappointed" to see the Uruguayan join the Gunners and feels the striker was wrongly advised amid the interest from the north London side.

Wenger acknowledges that Gerrard was just keen for Suarez, who has since joined Barcelona in a €88m deal, to stay at Anfield but dismissed the initial remarks as unnecessary.

"You're never too good for Arsenal and Steven Gerrard knows that," he told reporters.

"But I can understand completely that he asked him to stay because he wanted [Suarez] to play with him and have a chance to win the Premier League. But it didn't happen, and anyway, Suarez left."

Dzeko

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Pardew confirms Newcastle closing in on Ferreyra

440659_heroa.jpg

By Alex Young
Aug 1, 2014 18:28:00

The Shakhtar Donetsk striker is on the verge of completing a loan move to the Premier League side, but the manager is not as confident regarding Loic Remy

Newcastle United boss Alan Pardew has confirmed the club are in talks to sign Facundo Ferreyra on loan from Shakhtar Donetsk.

The striker is set to head to the north East after Newcastle agreed a €2 million [£1.6m] loan fee with the option of making the deal permanent for a further €8m [£6.4m].

The 23-year-old is one of a host of players who have grown increasingly concerned at the ongoing violent unrest in Ukraine, and Newcastle are understood to be confident of sealing the loan in the coming days.

"It's something that is not done, but we're working to see if that can happen," Pardew told BBC Newcastle.

"Facundo is a good presence on the pitch, a big guy at six foot two inches, a player who has gone to the Ukraine and has been okay.

"If we manage to secure him, he would be a player who we'd expect to do a lot better here."

As exclusively revealed last week, Newcastle are also montoring a return for former loanee Loic Remy but Pardew has now hinted that the player is not keen on the switch and possibly abandoning the pursuit.

"We've not really had much contact with Loic and I don't see that evolving if I'm honest," he said. "Whatever happened at Liverpool is irrelevant really, because he's had plenty of chances to come to us.

"We've made it clear we'd want to have him but it hasn't really happened and therefore you sometimes have to say where is the line drawn? Maybe that one has gone away."

Dzeko

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Crystal Palace sign Brede Hangeland after the Fulham captain inks a one-year deal to join The Eagles

Former Fulham captain, 33, becomes the Eagles' third summer signing after stopper Chris Kettings and striker Fraizer Campbell

Brede_Hangeland_2993681b.jpg

Signing on: Brede Hangeland has joined Crystal Palace on a one-year deal Photo: AFP

By Telegraph Sport
1:45PM BST 01 Aug 2014

Crystal Palace have announced the signing of former Fulham captain Brede Hangeland on a one-year contract.

The 33-year-old Norway international's six-and-a-half year stay at Craven Cottage came to an end after the Whites decided not to offer the defender a new deal following their relegation from the Premier League.

Hangeland, who claims to have been informed of his release by e-mail, played over 200 league games for Fulham and will provide stiff competition to the likes of Scott Dann, Paddy McCarthy and Damien Delaney for a place in the heart of Tony Pulis' defence.

He becomes the third new arrival at Selhurst Park following deals for Blackpool goalkeeper Chris Kettings and striker Fraizer Campbell from Cardiff.

Pulis, who took over at Palace in November, guided the Eagles to 11th place and became the first manager to keep the south London club in the Premier League beyond a single campaign.

Hangeland was replaced at half-time in Fulham's 4-1 win at Palace last season, a result which saw Ian Holloway leave the Eagles.

But the ex-FC Copenhagen man was suitably impressed by the support at Selhurst Park to be excited about turning out for his new side.

"I'm delighted to be here. I look forward to helping out and doing the best I can for this club," he told Palace's official website.

"I'm quite old school as a player, I just want to be part of a good group of players, working for a good manager, working really hard and driving something in the right direction.

"All the people I spoke to told me that's what's going on at Crystal Palace and I really wanted to be a part of that.

"It's a traditional club with a big following. I thought the atmosphere here was fantastic and obviously the fans had a lot to be happy about come the end of the season.

"If we can do something similar to that this season, that would be great. I'm really looking forward to playing in front of those fans as soon as possible."

Dzeko

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Villa sign Jed Steer from Doncaster

Aston Villa have allowed back-up goalkeeper Jed Steer to join Sky Bet League One club Doncaster on a three-month loan deal.

181745225.jpg

Jermain Defoe of Tottenham Hotspur scores the opening goal past Jed Steer of Aston Villa during the Capital

Friday 1st August 2014

Steer joined Villa on a free transfer from Norwich last summer but, given the form of Brad Guzan, he made just three appearances, all in cup matches.

It is the third loan spell of 21-year-old Steer's career as he has previously played for Yeovil and Cambridge during his time with the Canaries.

Dzeko

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Hammers sign Gunners Jenkinson on loan

West Ham have signed Arsenal defender Carl Jenkinson on a season-long loan.

Walcott.jpg

Theo Walcott and Carl Jenkinson

Friday 1st August 2014

The 22-year-old right-back has been linked with a host of Barclays Premier League clubs and decided to move across London for the 2014/15 campaign.

Jenkinson, who joined the Gunners from Charlton in 2011 and earned his only England cap against Sweden 18 months later, becomes the Hammers' sixth summer signing joining Mauro Zarate, Enner Valencia, Cheikhou Kouyate, Aaron Cresswell and Diego Poyet.

"I'm clearly seen as a big part of things here and hopefully I can prove my worth here because it is an important year for me," said Jenkinson.

"I was flattered to have a lot of options but deep down, if I was being honest with myself, West Ham was always the place I wanted to go to.

"It's one of them where I wanted to do the right professional thing and consider all the options, but in the back of my mind it was always West Ham and I'm just so glad it's all worked out how I wanted it to in the end.

"It will be brilliant to play here. I've got a lot of friends who are West Ham fans and I know how good the supporters are here.

"You get a great atmosphere here and the fans are great, so I just can't wait to get a West Ham shirt on and get on the pitch and play."

Jenkinson, who played for Finland at Under-17, Under-19 and Under-21 level before switching to the Three Lions, was swayed by the Hammers' ambition to progress.

"To be honest, that was a big swing in this for me, seeing this club is going in the right direction," he explained. "Obviously the (Olympic) stadium plans are only a couple of years away and that's going to improve this club massively. We've signed six players and they are top players as well. It's a very exciting time to be a part of this club."

Dzeko

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Van Gaal makes sweeping changes at United

Louis van Gaal may have only started work as Manchester United manager two weeks ago, but he has already made his mark on the club.

452276864.jpg

Louis van Gaal appears at a press conference with Sir Bobby Charlton as he is unveiled as the new

Friday 1st August 2014

FOX Sports Asia looks at the some of the changes the new United boss has implemented since taking over at Old Trafford.

LANGUAGE - Twelve different nationalities are represented in Van Gaal's squad, but they have been told to speak English to each other. Van Gaal himself is fluent in English, Spanish, German and Dutch.

TABLES - Van Gaal sees meal times as a good time for squad bonding, so he has replaced rectangular tables with circular ones to encourage interaction.

MEETINGS - Each night at 10:30pm, Van Gaal sits down with his coaches and senior staff to discuss player progress and plans for the following day.

CAMERAS - High-definition cameras have been installed at United's training ground and they have also been evident on the pre-season tour of America to track the players in training.

NEW PITCHES - Desso training pitches have been laid at Carrington and new trees have been planted to protect them from wind - a problem raised by Van Gaal in his first interview as United manager.

Dzeko

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

FA ban on player betting rolls out

FA general secretary Alex Horne says the ban on any gambling on football by players or coaches that comes into force today will help the fight against match-fixing.

488755279.jpg

Howard Wilkinson, Danny Mills, Greg Dyke and Greg Demetriou during the FA Chairman's England Commission

Friday 1st August 2014

Players, managers, club employees and match officials are now not allowed to place any bet on any football-related matter worldwide.

Horne says the ban will remove any grey areas surrounding betting on football - previously players were only banned from betting on a competition with which their club was involved.

Last season saw a number of arrests and prosecutions for match-fixing related offences in semi-professional English football, and Horne believes the new rules will target that threat.

Horne told Press Association Sport: "We are really proud of the integrity of the game in this country and it is really important that people trust the integrity of what is happening on the pitch.

"There have been some cases and prosecutions [for match-fixing] in this country and we don't want to see it.

"We want to keep our message as simple as possible - and it cannot be more simple that as a player you cannot bet at all on football."

The ban also covers events such as manager appointments and player transfers, and applies to all forms of betting, and players are not allowed to instruct anyone else to place any bet on their behalf.

It will cover the top eight tiers of English football, going down to the Isthmian League.

A new educational drive will see new videos being produced to drive home the message. These include one from the former Italian player and now Aston Villa academy coach Simone Farina, who won a FIFA award after he called in the police in 2011 after being offered 200,000 euros to influence the outcome of an Italian Cup game that his club at the time, Gubbio 1910, was involved in.

Other videos include one making clear that it is also banned to pass on inside information, such as on injuries or transfers, to other people including family or friends.

The videos will be distributed to players and clubs by the Professional Footballers' Association, and will also be shown to managers and club captains at pre-season briefings.

The FA also believe the betting ban will be so easy to understand that it will cut out any incidents of players being sanctioned for unwittingly breaching rules.

Tottenham's England winger Andros Townsend was suspended for a month in 2013 for breaching the rules about betting on a competition with which he was involved, and missed the England under-21 championship in Israel.

Darren Bailey, the FA's director of football governance and regulation, added: "This betting rule change to encompass all aspects of world football provides a simple, clear and straightforward message to all participants concerned, on where the line is drawn."

Groove Armada

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

Exclusive - West Ham legend calls on club to back Allardyce or sack him

By talkSPORT | Friday, August 1, 2014

Tony Gale believes West Ham are facing a 'shaky time ahead' of them and that the club needs to either back boss Sam Allardyce or sack him.

In a sensational interview with talkSPORT last week, co-chairman David Sullivan revealed they were at odds with the manager, particularly over whether controversial midfielder Ravel Morrison deserved a new contract.

The Hammers chief also hinted the board had more of a say in transfers this summer than Allardyce and that they want to see an improvement in playing style this season.

And West Ham legend Gale told Sam Matterface on Kick Off: "They look like they are forcing Sam’s hand. When you appoint someone you either sack him or you back him.

"You don’t start saying things in public, saying you’re going to do this and you want him to do this or he’s not signed this player but we want this player to sign. It’s all to the detriment of the cause for me.

"We’re going into the start of the season with a little bit of a shaky time ahead. If they want Sam they have got to back him. If they don’t want him, they’ve got to sack him – simple as that.

Groove Armada

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

Reports: Chelsea legend Lampard set for shock loan move to Manchester City

450765840.jpg

Chelsea legend Frank Lampard is expected to sign a short-term deal with Manchester City as part of the club's link up with MLS side, New York City, according to various reports.

The England midfielder, 36, penned a deal with the American club last month but they will not begin playing until March.

Manchester City part own Lampard's new side and now look set to sign the former Blues hero as he bids to keep up his fitness.

Lampard left Chelsea at the end of the season after being released following more than 13 years service at Stamford Bridge.

The ex-West Ham youth product is understood to have rejected the chance to play for Melbourne City - another club owned by Manchester City - and while QPR fancied a move, Lampard prefers a switch to Manchester City.

The move will allow Manuel Pellegrini to further boost his quota of English players in the squad and should the move go through, Lampard is expected to begin training with City next week.

Groove Armada

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

Poyet tells Sunderland star: 'Sign new deal or you will be sold'

487044035.jpg

Sunderland boss Gus Poyet has told striker Connor Wickham to sign a new deal or face being sold.

The 21-year-old spent time on loan at Sheffield Wednesday and Leeds last season before returning to play a big part in the Black Cats' escape from relegation.

Wickham bagged five goals in three games in April to help the Black Cats miraculously avoid dropping into the Championship and was hailed as the club's saviour.

But the former Ipswich star has been stalling over a new deal and Sunderland are keen to cash in rather than avoid a repeat of Jack Colback's free transfer to Newcastle this summer.

"For me, Connor's situation is clear, he needs to sign a new contract or we let him go - we sell him," Poyet said.

"There is nothing in between. He is an asset to the football club and we paid a lot of money for him."

The Uruguayn continued to the Sunderland Echo and the Journal: "Last year, he was a key part of us staying up and he was very important but he needs to realise that the club needs to look after the interests of the football club as well.

"I suppose that, one way or the other, we are going to have an agreement. Which one of those [two outcomes] is going to happen, I don't know - it is not my job, that is [sporting director] Lee Congerton's department."

Groove Armada

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

Vermaelen may leave Arsenal, says Wenger

LONDON Sat Aug 2, 2014 12:55am BST

r

(L-R) Belgium's Thomas Vermaelen, Jan Vertonghen and Toby Alderweireld react after the 2014 World Cup quarter-finals between Argentina and Belgium at the Brasilia national stadium in Brasilia July 5, 2014. REUTERS/Dominic Ebenbichler

(Reuters) - Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger hinted on Friday that defender Thomas Vermaelen could leave the Premier League club before the end of the transfer window.

The 28-year-old Belgian has been linked with a move to Manchester United.

“At the moment Thomas Vermaelen is here. He is injured at the moment with a short-term injury. It could happen, yes it’s a possibility that he goes. If he goes we have to replace him because he’s an important player in our squad," Wenger told a news conference.

“I expect him to stay but he, of course, did not play enough games last year. For me he’s a very important player but I couldn’t guarantee him the games he wanted last year.”

Wenger has recruited Chile forward Alexis Sanchez, France defender Mathieu Debuchy, Colombia goalkeeper David Ospina and young English defender Calum Chambers.

He denied reports that he was trying to sign Porto playmaker Juan Fernando Quintero but said further moves in the transfer market were possible.

“I am very happy because I did what I wanted and I am still hoping to do more,” he said.

“We are a bit ahead of what we usually do because the availability on the market was bigger than before. I think 15-30 August will be busy again."

Wenger played down comments by Liverpool captain Steven Gerrard that Uruguay striker Luis Suarez was too good to move to Arsenal who were interested in signing him 12 months ago.

“You’re never too good for Arsenal and Steven Gerrard knows that,” Wenger said.

“But I can understand completely that he asked him to stay because he wanted him, to play with him and have a chance to win the Premier League. But it didn’t happen, and anyway, Suarez left,” Wenger added, referring to the Uruguayan's recent move to Barcelona.

(Reporting by Ed Osmond, editing by Rex Gowar)

Groove Armada

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

Arturo Vidal staying at Juventus unless Manchester United target states he wants to leave

• Louis van Gaal has been linked with a move for Chile World Cup star
  • Central midfielder was a standout for Antonio Conte's Serie A winners
  • New boss Massimiliano Allegri believes he will stay at the club
By Jack Gaughan
Published: 15:51 GMT, 2 August 2014 | Updated: 16:52 GMT, 2 August 2014

Juventus have reaffirmed their desire to keep hold of Arturo Vidal, stating they'll only listen to offers if the Manchester United target overtly makes it known he wants to leave.

New boss Massimiliano Allegri revealed he has held talks with the 27-year-old and that he has committed his future to the Serie A club.

But director general Giuseppe Marotta revealed they wouldn't stand in the Chilean's way if he did decide the time was right to move on.

1406994791580_wps_3_FILE_PHOTO_Arturo_Vidal_v.jpg

Staying put: Juventus are adamant they will keep hold of Manchester United target Arturo Vidal

1406994784867_wps_2_FILE_PHOTO_Arturo_Vidal_v.jpg

Decent performer: Vidal was a standout for Chile during the World Cup in Brazil

'(Arturo) Vidal? We already said that he is not on the market, but the player's will is decisive,' said Marotta.

'Vidal has never said he wants to leave, and Juventus will sell him only if he were unhappy to remain.

'Nowadays, however, there’s absolutely no reason to even be discussing this now.'

Groove Armada

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

Shinji Kagawa emerges as a target for Atletico Madrid as Diego Simeone searches for an alternative to Santi Cazorla

• Atletico Madrid are considering a bid for Shinji Kagawa
  • Manchester United midfielder has struggled to fit in at Old Trafford
  • Diego Simeone on the lookout for an alternative to Arsenal's Santi Cazorla
By Adam Crafton
Published: 09:55 GMT, 2 August 2014 | Updated: 11:22 GMT, 2 August 2014

Atletico Madrid are considering a move for Manchester United midfielder Shinji Kagawa.

The Spanish champions are rebuilding their squad this summer and Kagawa, who is one of those players Louis van Gaal is prepared to discard at Old Trafford, has emerged as a target for Atletico manager Diego Simeone.

Kagawa, 25, is viewed by Atletico as an alternative to Arsenal's Santi Cazorla.

article-2713969-201DDB8200000578-27_634x418.jpg

On the move? Atletico Madrid are considering a bid for Shinji Kagawa (centre)

The Japanese international arrived at Old Trafford from Borussia Dortmund in the summer of 2012 but he has struggled to nail down a place in the first-team and has only offered sporadic glimpses of his qualities.

Van Gaal has already outlined his belief that the United squad is excessively stocked in Kagawa's preferred No. 10 position and it is understood that Juan Mata, Wayne Rooney and Adnan Januzaj all ahead of him in the pecking order.

Kagawa has been frustrated by the failure of both Sir Alex Ferguson and David Moyes to hand him an extended run in his favoured role behind the forward and he has previously spoke of his reluctance to play from the wide positions.

Moyes, for his part, argued that Kagawa has been effective playing from the left for the Japanese national team.

article-2713969-2031437900000578-47_634x438.jpg

In and out: The Japanese international has struggled to nail down a place in the United first-team

article-2713969-2024126D00000578-48_634x358.jpg

Outgoing: Atleti coach Diego Simeone is hoping to strengthen his depleted Spanish side

Nonetheless, with Van Gaal's new 3-5-2 system, the only slot for Kagawa would be in the role that Juan Mata will primarily occupy, with Kagawa too slight to play in a wing-back role.

German side Wolfsburg are also monitoring Kagawa and they have previously registered an interest in a player that could be available for around £13million.

Borussia Dortmund are not currently prioritising a move to take Kagawa back to Germany but manager Jurgen Klopp remains an admirer and could be tempted into the race, particularly with the future of Marco Reus remaining unclear.

article-2713969-20225BE700000578-368_634x438.jpg

Wanted: Diego Simeone is hoping to lure Santi Cazorla (right) away from the Emirates

Groove Armada

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

Barcelona and Brondby considering moves for Daniel Agger as Liverpool centre back considers his future

• Dejan Lovren's £20million arrival puts Agger's position at risk
  • Barcelona have been continually linked with him
  • Brondby want to tempt Agger back to Denmark
  • Glen Johnson's future is unclear with one year left on his deal at Anfield
By Simon Jones
Published: 22:02 GMT, 1 August 2014 | Updated: 00:03 GMT, 2 August 2014

Brondby and Barcelona are monitoring Daniel Agger's situation at Liverpool following the arrival of Dejan Lovren from Southampton.

The 29-year-old's future is unclear after Lovren's £20million signing and the Danish club hope they can lure the central defender back to the club he grew up at, with their major shareholder saying they will do 'everything in our power' to sign him.

Barcelona have been continually linked with Agger but having splashed out on French defender Jeremy Mathieu last week a deal would have to be right for them to proceed.

1406930633256_wps_7_Daniel_Agger_of_Liverpool.jpg

You'll Never Walk Alone: Daniel Agger might be heading back to the club he grew up at, Brondby, or Barcelona

1406930489053_Image_galleryImage_COPENHAGEN_DENMARK_JULY_1.JPG

On the way out? Liverpool could be waving goodbye to Agger after signing Dejan Lovren

Glen Johnson's future also remains uncertain with the player having one year left on contract and no new terms yet to be agreed.

The former Chelsea right back could slip down the pecking order with the imminent arrivals of Javier Manquillo and Alberto Moreno on Merseyside.

1406930667451_wps_8_BRONDBY_DENMARK_MAY_19_Da.jpg

Hard man: Agger might head back to Denmark or onto pastures new in Spain as he looks to leave Anfield

Groove Armada

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

Wenger: Messi made Alexis suffer at Barcelona

429902_heroa.jpg

By Harry Sherlock
Aug 2, 2014 08:12:00

The Chilean joined the Gunners in a €40 million deal earlier this summer and is set to be the central man unlike the peripheral figure he was at Camp Nou

Arsene Wenger believes Alexis Sanchez suffered in the same way that Neymar does during his time at Barcelona because of Lionel Messi's presence.

Arsenal spent €40 million to acquire the Chile international from the Camp Nou club earlier this summer, with the star set to make his debut in the pre-season Emirates Cup tournament on Saturday.

Despite playing primarily as a winger for Barca, Alexis could be deployed as a striker at the Emirates and Wenger suggests he will shine in the role, without Messi beside him to sap the spotlight.

"He first came on my radar when he played at Udinese and then afterwards, when he went to Barcelona," the Frenchman told The Daily Mirror.

"He is a striker. He’s a good finisher, who made a great impression in Italy. I saw him there and he was really outstanding. It was a bit more difficult for him at Barcelona but it’s like you can see with Neymar at that club, there you have Messi.

"When you see Neymar with Brazil and Neymar with Barcelona he’s not the same. I like the fact Alexis can play left, right, up front and that’s why I went for him."

Wenger admits Arsenal struggled when Theo Walcott sustained a season-ending injury in January and so was keen to recruit a player with similar attributes and he is keen to see how the 25-year-old adapts to Premier League life.

"I love pace and when we lost Walcott we suffered a little bit, yes, on that front," he added. "So I took him because he is a player who has the qualities of Walcott, he goes behind the defenders off the ball.

"And with the quality of his runs he can be very important for us. I think he will give us an extra dimension, in terms of quality and threat. And I hope I’m right."

Groove Armada

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

Sunderland in pole position for Manchester City midfielder Rodwell

432896_heroa.jpg

Aug 4, 2014 07:43:00

The former Everton man has made just seven Premier League appearances for the Blues since moving to the Etihad Stadium in 2012, and will be allowed to leave the club this summer

By William Joyce

Sunderland are closing in on a deal for Manchester City midfielder Jack Rodwell.

The Black Cats are in pole position to land the former Everton man, despite interest from more than half of the Premier League's 20 clubs.

The 23-year-old has been beset with injuries since moving to City from Goodison Park in 2012, and has started just seven Premier League games in two seasons.

City boss Manuel Pellegrini is now willing to let Rodwell leave the club, with a number of sides understood to have enquired about his availability.

But Sunderland are confident they will beat off the competition and finally land one of their top summer targets, with an announcement possible in the next few days.

Black Cats boss Gus Poyet has cut a frustrated figure during the transfer window so far, having failed to seal a number of signings - including Fabio Borini from Liverpool.

Groove Armada

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

Rodgers: Southampton trio will settle quickly at Liverpool

439562_heroa.jpg

By Alex Young
Aug 4, 2014 11:55:00

The manager feels Adam Lallana, Dejan Lovren and Rickie Lambert are already used to their new club's tactics thanks to Saints' "offensive, aggressive" approach last season

Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers has backed his trio of signings from Southampton to settle quickly due to the similar styles of the teams.

Adam Lallana, Dejan Lovren and Rickie Lambert have all been signed for a combined fee of around €63 million as Rodgers looks to strengthen his squad in a bid to challenge for multiple trophies.

And Southampton's "offensive, aggressive way" should mean the three signings make a swift adaptation to Liverpool's similar style, according to their new manger.

"I think the advantage of taking them is that they understand how we work," he told reporters as his side prepare to face Manchester United in the International Champions Cup final.

"All the players we have brought in were done so because of their profile. Southampton played in a really offensive, aggressive way and the players that have come in will adapt that little bit quicker to that.

"There are obviously pressures. If you're playing for Liverpool, there's a different adaptation altogether, but in terms of the football style, that will make it easier.

"I think if you have three players coming in from the same club, of course it always helps on that first day walking into the changing room.

"Ultimately they'll gain respect because they're good players, and that's why they're at Liverpool. Hopefully they can show that over their career here."

Groove Armada

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

Morrison granted bail in assault case

West Ham midfielder Ravel Morrison has been freed after a judge granted him bail following a private court hearing.

452068842.jpg

Ravel Morrison of West Ham looks on during the Pre Season Friendly match between Stevenage

Monday 4th August 2014

The 21-year-old was in custody and not present at Manchester Crown Court to hear the bail application made by his lawyers.

Former Manchester United midfielder Morrison is accused of two counts of common assault on his ex-girlfriend Reah Mansoor, 19 and her mother Parveen Mansoor, 39, in the early hours of last Sunday morning.

He was refused bail by District Judge James Prowse at his first court appearance at Manchester Magistrates' Court on Thursday and spent the weekend in custody.

On Monday Judge Michael Henshall granted Morrison bail.

An application by the Press Association to allow the press and public into court for the hearing was rejected by the judge and the hearing went ahead in private.

Morrison was given bail but his bail conditions were not given by the court following a request from the press.

Despite being touted as a bright prospect at Old Trafford, Morrison only appeared in the League Cup before former Manchester United boss Sir Alex Ferguson sold him to West Ham for £650,000 in January 2012.

West Ham manager Sam Allardyce took him to Upton Park but he was soon shipped out to Birmingham and QPR on loan.

Morrison is next due to appear at Manchester Magistrates' Court on Thursday.

Groove Armada

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

Vlaar set for Villa talks

Aston Villa manager Paul Lambert is planning on holding talks with captain Ron Vlaar in a bid to resolve the defender's future.

Ron%20Vlaar.jpg

Monday 4th August 2014

With one year remaining on the Dutchman's contract, and following his stand-out performances for Holland in the World Cup, Vlaar has since been linked with a number of clubs, notably Serie A pair Juventus and Lazio.

After an extended break for the 29-year-old in light of his World Cup exertions, Vlaar returned to the Villa fold on Saturday, although as a spectator only for the club's 4-1 pre-season friendly defeat at Groningen.

With Vlaar back in training this week as the countdown continues towards the opening Barclays Premier League game with Stoke on August 16, Lambert said: "He told me he is concentrating on that game.

"He's not had much of a break, but he's enthusiastic, positive and raring to go."

Once Vlaar is back in the swing of things again, Lambert plans on a more in-depth chat.

"It was a good feeling I got from him," added Lambert, speaking to the Birmingham Mail.

"To be fair, it was a really brief conversation I had before the game as I was preparing the lads for the match.

"Ron's got another year still to go on his contract, it's not as if he's at the end of it.

"Once we get back I'll sit with him, we'll have a bit more time, but he loves it at Villa, that's well known."

Groove Armada

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

Wenger reveals Man City concerns

Arsene Wenger is worried Manchester City's policy of buying up clubs around the world could see them side-step financial fair-play regulations.

170314wenger.jpg

Monday 4th August 2014

Former Chelsea midfielder Frank Lampard will turn out for City in the coming season having signed on-loan from New York City - a Major League Soccer franchise owned by the same powers as those in charge of the Barclays Premier League champions.

After falling foul of UEFA's Financial Fair-Play regulations, City have been restricted to a 21-man Champions League squad this year - with eight home-grown players required in their Premier League squad.

Former Barcelona and Spain striker David Villa has also signed up to play for New York City next season - but has instead moved on loan to another club owned by the same group - Melbourne City of Australia's A-League.

Although his move has not been officially confirmed, City manager Manuel Pellegrini has announced that Lampard will now occupy one of those berths after the England midfielder sealed a shock return to the Premier League just months after leaving Chelsea - who had not offered the 36-year-old a new deal at Stamford Bridge.

But Wenger, who has always been a staunch advocate of financial fair-play, believes the move could benefit City at the expense of Arsenal and their fellow title rivals.

"It is a surprise," he said when asked about Lampard's loan move.

"After the statements we hear it is a surprise but it looks like all of these 'City' clubs will feed the main club Man City - I heard they want to buy five clubs all over the world.

"I don't know the rules well enough but they brought a franchise for 100million US dollars (£59.4million) to play in the States to play next season.

"At the moment the players they sign cannot play until next year so they will register them in the clubs where they put them and they can get out on loan.

"Is it a way to get around the fair-play? I don't know - We are happy to dedicate the money to just run our club - there is not a lot of surplus to run other clubs."

Wenger was talking following his side's 1-0 Emirates Cup defeat to Monaco, a result which saw Valencia walk away with the pre-season trophy.

Former Chelsea defender Ricardo Carvalho played in the game and admitted he would rather see Lampard still turning out for the Blues.

"I'm a supporter of Chelsea - I like Chelsea and they are strong," he said.

"Of course I would prefer to see him in a Chelsea shirt rather than a Manchester City shirt but you have to respect his decision.

"He's a great friend of mine and a great person as well. I will wait and see how he does but like I said, I'd prefer to see him back in a Chelsea shirt rather than a Manchester City shirt."

Wenger handed a first start to big-name summer signing Alexis Sanchez in the 1-0 defeat, with Radamel Falcao's first-half header enough to give Monaco a win.

It followed a free-flowing Arsenal display in Saturday's 5-1 victory over Benfica - with Wenger admitting playing twice in two days took its toll on his players.

"We have made a demonstration that in 24 hours a lot can change in football," he said.

"As much as our performance was sharp, creative, dynamic and mobile yesterday, today it was static, lethargic and not convincing at all.

"I feel many players had not recovered physically and we not completely ready. Congratulations to Monaco they were better than us today, sharper and stronger - we lost the game because we deserved to lose it."

Arsenal last won their own competition in 2010 and looked likely to break that run with success this time around, but a 3-1 win for Valencia over Benfica followed up their 2-2 draw with Monaco to hand them the trophy.