• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

☆ Barclays Premier League Season 2014-15 ☆

Dzeko

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

478021_thumb.jpg

Bruce impressed by dominant Alexis
The 53-year-old praised his Hull City side after they took a point from Arsenal on Saturday, despite Danny Welbeck's late equaliser denying them a victory

464238_thumb.jpg

Fabregas: Chelsea are no Arsenal Invincibles
The Spaniard does not expect to see any team go through a whole Premier League season undefeated again but feels the Blues are building a talented team that can win everything

460788_thumb.jpg

Koeman 'in shock' after eight-goal romp
Striker Graziano Pelle hit a brace, while the Black Cats scored two own goals, as the Saints romped to a "great" victory over Gus Poyet's side at St Mary's Stadium

465946_thumb.jpg

Key moments went against Spurs, says Pochettino
Spurs were beaten 4-1 by the Premier League champions at the Etihad Stadium in a game that saw four penalties awarded and Federico Fazio sent off by referee Jon Moss

462669_thumb.jpg

Newcastle still need to improve despite maiden win, says Pardew
Gabriel Obertan's 71st-minute strike gave the Magpies a 1-0 victory over Leicester on Saturday but the 53-year-old feels the club must still improve as the season progresses

476841_thumb.jpg

Wenger admits 'big concern' at Arsenal form
The Gunners have won just two games from eight in the Premier League this season and the Frenchman admits that he is perturbed by the amount of goals they are conceding

476481_thumb.jpg

Newcastle 1-0 Leicester City: Obertan eases pressure on struggling Pardew
The former Manchester United man struck the only goal of the game late in the second half to give the beleaguered Magpies boss his first win of the 2014-15 season

475381_thumb.jpg

Pellegrini: Aguero among world's best
The Argentina international scored four goals as the Premier League champions closed the gap on Chelsea at the top of the table with a 4-1 victory over Tottenham

475581_thumb.jpg

Everton 3-0 Aston Villa: Lukaku on target in Toffees stroll
The Belgian scored his third goal of the season, with Phil Jagielka and Seamus Coleman also amongst the goals at Goodison Park on Saturday

476011_thumb.jpg

Arsenal 2-2 Hull City: Welbeck saves Gunners with stoppage time strike
Steve Bruce's side were moments away from a shock victory at the Emirates, but the England international maintained his good form with a late goal for Arsene Wenger's side

475611_thumb.jpg

Burnley 1-3 West Ham: Cole & Valencia help Hammers ease past struggling Clarets
The two Irons strikers netted against Sean Dyche's newly-promoted side, while summer signing Diafra Sakho netted for the sixth consecutive game in the victory at Turf Moor

475081_thumb.jpg

Crystal Palace 1-2 Chelsea: Fabregas off the mark as Mourinho’s juggernaut rumbles on
The Spain international netted his side's second goal at Selhurst Park, with Oscar grabbing the opener, as the Blues took all three points away from south London

474451_thumb.jpg

Manchester City 4-1 Tottenham: Aguero nets four as Fazio sees red on debut
The Argentina international striker ran riot as the Premier League champions routed Mauricio Pochettino's Spurs side at the Etihad Stadium on Saturday afternoon

Dzeko

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Mourinho: I have no idea when Diego Costa will return

457528_heroa.jpg

By Liam Twomey at Selhurst Park
Oct 18, 2014 18:05:00

The Chelsea boss has categorically ruled the Brazil-born Spaniard out of Tuesday's Champions League clash with Maribor but joked his striker will be fit for Spain

Chelsea striker Diego Costa has been ruled out of the Blues' midweek Champions League clash with Maribor, Jose Mourinho has confirmed.

The Spain international was absent from the squad that beat Crystal Palace 2-1 on Saturday and will remain on the treatment table for a while longer.

And after the match Mourinho confirmed he is not sure when Costa will be fit to return for Chelsea, though he sarcastically remarked that he is sure the striker will be fit for Spain's next match.

"The only thing I can say is after Arsenal he went to national team, he played two big matches against Slovakia and Luxembourg and become in condition where he's not able to play for this club," Mourinho told reporters.

When asked if he had spoken to the Spain medics, Mourinho added: "For what? To spend money on the call?

"I think he'll be in great condition in mid-November to be back for the national team. That's for sure. Our medical department will take good care of him and he'll be in perfect condition.

"He will play for me when he's got free time from the national team."

Dzeko

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Chelsea Boss Jose Mourinho Reveals Truth Behind Juan Mata’s Manchester United Transfer

by Edward Bennett October 18th, 2014

Jose-Mourinho-Juan-Mata.png

Blues boss explains controversial player sale.

Chelsea manager Jose Mourinho has revealed to Gary Neville in his interview with the Daily Telegraph why he made the decision to sell Juan Mata to Manchester United last season, the Daily Express reports.

The Spanish playmaker was one of Chelsea’s best players before Mourinho’s arrival at Stamford Bridge, which saw him dropped from the first-team before being offloaded to United in January last year.

This was seen as something of a surprise move by the Portuguese coach, with the big clubs rarely selling key players to each other, but it has now been revealed that the Blues’ financial situation may have played a part.

Mourinho feels that Chelsea’s need to meet Financial Fair Play rules means the club have to consider good bids from any team for their players, with Mata emerging as one whom he couldn’t fit into his side.

Chelsea then signed a similar player in Cesc Fabregas for cheaper this summer, meaning Mourinho’s approach to the Mata situation may have been vindicated, particularly as the ex-Blues attacker has not quite hit top form since his transfer to Old Trafford either.

Despite interest from Juventus and Barcelona, United made the best offer, Mourinho has revealed.

“For example, Mata to Man Utd. We are losing a very good player to a direct opponent. Would this have happened 10 years ago? Maybe not,” he said.

“But in the modern football and the new economic reality [for Chelsea], if Man Utd pays you an important amount of money he has to go.

“It is my club’s vision. It’s my boss, Mr Abramovich, the board. And I share it.

“I’m not the sort of manager that says – no, not to Man Utd. Sell Mata to Juventus or Barcelona but not Man Utd.

“Chelsea cannot have 20 replicas. I cannot have Fabregas and another Fabregas getting the same salary.”

Willian

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Mourinho: Win without Costa shows big Chelsea improvement

479321_heroa.jpg

By Matthew Scott
Oct 20, 2014 10:47:00

The Portuguese manager is pleased to have proved that his side can still fire even without the free-scoring Spain international after seeing off Crystal Palace at Selhurst Park

Chelsea manager Jose Mourinho was left beaming by his side's ability to win without star striker Diego Costa at Crystal Palace on Saturday.

Costa missed the trip to Selhurst Park with a long-standing hamstring complaint thought to be at the root of his absence.

Mourinho blasted Spain for playing him during the recent Euro 2016 qualifiers but was left soothed as goals from Oscar and Cesc Fabregas secured a 2-1 triumph, in which Loic Remy proved a handful up front - drawing two bookings which saw Damien Delaney dismissed in the first half.

With Chelsea sitting pretty five points clear at the top of the Premier League, Mourinho is enthused by the progress being made by his players, telling reporters: "Winning without Diego was great.

"There is a general feeling that our team is improved because of Diego and Fabregas and it's right and it's true and it's fair to say that.

"But at the same time this team had a big improvement. We can think the game, control the game, cope in different moments of the game in a completely different way.

"Last year my team was naive. We couldn't cope with certain moments of the game so we've worked, worked, worked and at this moment I'm happy."

Chelsea captain John Terry echoed his manager's sentiments and believes that the west London club's strength in depth earmarks them as potential champions.

"The one question mark people had about us was whether we could win without Diego," the defender observed. "He's done so well that people wondered, if he was out, who could come in and do it.

"We can match everyone, I think. Our football speaks for itself. Last season people thought they could get in our faces and distract us but we are as strong as anyone and hungry to win the league. The hunger is in the squad and * hopefully that can see us through."

Willian

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Manchester United confident Di Maria will be fit for Chelsea clash

488661_heroa.jpg

By Paul Clennam
Oct 21, 2014 12:52:00

The Argentina star was substituted after suffering a dead leg against West Brom and will undergo a scan on Tuesday but the club are hopeful that he will be ready to face the Blues

Manchester United are confident that Angel Di Maria will be fit for Sunday's clash with Chelsea despite suffering a dead leg against West Brom, Goal understands.

The Argentina international felt pain in his thigh and was withdrawn in the 76th minute, appearing to be in some discomfort and seen clutching an ice pack on the substitutes' bench.
Di Maria will undergo a scan at United's training complex on Tuesday as a precaution but the former Real Madrid star is expected to be fit for the showdown with Jose Mourinho's table-yoppers at Old Trafford.

The 26-year-old has been in outstanding form since his switch from the Santiago Bernabeu and recorded his fourth assist in six games by creating Marouane Fellaini's first goal for the club in Monday night's 2-2 draw at the Hawthorns.

Despite his own scintillating performances, United already trail Chelsea by 10 points and have won just three of their first eight league matches under new manager Louis van Gaal.

After the Red Devils were rescued by a last-minute Daley Blind equaliser on Monday, his fellow Dutchman admitted that his start at the helm has been less than impressive.

Of United's points tally so far, Van Gaal told the media: "It's not too good. When we see the games, normally we are the better team. When you have 12 points out of eight games, in my opinion eight points is too few.

Willian

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Herrera major doubt for Chelsea clash

462785_heroa.jpg

Oct 21, 2014 12:37:00

The Spanish midfielder was substituted at half-time during Monday night's 2-2 draw at West Brom after aggravating the broken rib suffered last month

By Greg Stobart

Ander Herrera is a major fitness doubt for Manchester United's clash against Chelsea on Sunday after aggravating a broken rib.

The midfielder was substituted at half-time in Monday night’s 2-2 draw with West Brom after feeling pain having rushing back from the injury with the aid of a specially designed corset.

Herrera was in discomfort as he was assessed by United’s medical staff on Tuesday morning and is now facing a race against time ahead of the visit of Premier League leaders Chelsea this weekend.

The 25-year-old was initially ruled out for six weeks when he suffered the injury against West Ham last month but returned three weeks early as Louis van Gaal looked to ease the impact of his Old Trafford injury crisis.

Herrera’s condition will be monitored during the week but United are more confident that Angel Di Maria will be fit for Sunday’s match.

The Argentine was also substituted in the second-half of the West Brom match after complaining of a dead leg and will undergo a scan at United’s Carrington training complex on Tuesday.

Willian

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

'AC Milan train harder than QPR' - Taarabt blames Redknapp for fitness issues

451952_heroa.jpg

By Christopher Devine
Oct 21, 2014 12:05:00

The 25-year-old is adamant that he is well within acceptable weight bounds and believes that the QPR manager is attempting to undermine his good relationship with the fans

Adel Taarabt says AC Milan train better than QPR and feels training at the London club should be more intense as he hit back at Harry Redknapp for claiming he is overweight.

Taarabt, who spent the second half of last season with the Serie A side, came in for criticism following the the Rs' 3-2 defeat to Liverpool on Sunday when his boss was asked to explain his absence.

An irate Redknapp said of the Moroccan: "He's not fit to play football, unfortunately. He played in a reserve team game the other day and I could have run about more than he did.

"So no, I can't pick him. I can't keep protecting people who don't want to run about and train, who are about three stone overweight."

However, Taarabt is adamant that there is no truth to the claim that he has gained weight, instead suggesting that the blame lies with Redknapp and his slack training style.

He fumed to the Daily Mail: "I am a professional - this is not about retaliation, this is about protecting my reputation.

"I played in that reserve game for 90 minutes and, if he didn't think I was running, he could have taken me off. Maybe I didn't perform like I could because it was a reserve team game and I was protecting myself.

"After [a 2-0 loss to] West Ham [prior to the international break] he said all of the team is not fit. After Liverpool, because the performance was so good, he said everything was perfect - what, in one week, he changed the fitness? Impossible.

"The training sessions aren't the same standard as AC Milan, or what I would expect under another manager. They are not as intense, the players aren't as motivated. It is the same as we used to do at Tottenham years ago.

"I just think that obviously at QPR the fans love me, I love QPR and I love the fans. They are my club. You can't break the relationship with me and the fans. He wants to get the fans against me.

"I don't like the food at the training ground but eat healthily like every other player. Simple. My heaviest weight at Milan was 86kg, my lightest 84kg - now I'm 85kg. It's not true to say I'm not fit. He tried to give an excuse.

"I was desperate to play before the game [against Liverpool]. I was fuming when I didn't play. I love football, I go crazy when I don't play. Why did he talk about someone not involved in that game? The journalist was doing his job and asking if I was injured. He should have said 'when he is fit he will play'. He is an experienced manager and he should have controlled that situation."

Taarabt says that Les Ferdinand, recently appointed as QPR's head of football operations, and coach Glenn Hoddle believe in his talent.

"I spoke with Les Ferdinand and he told me 'what a player you are - you should be in the team every time. I followed you at Milan and you were fantastic'," the midfielder added.

"Les doesn't speak to us in training but he watches us and then goes to watch the kids as well. He knows me from my days at Tottenham so we have a good relationship.

"The coaches don't have any influence on Harry - none. They are there just to be there. Glenn Hoddle loves me but I don't know if Harry listens to him."

Willian

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Redknapp: Taarabt the worst professional I have ever come across

21 October 2014

698045header.jpg

QPR boss Harry Redknapp has continued his war of words with Adel Taarabt, labelling him "the worst professional I have ever come across".

Following QPR's 3-2 Premier League defeat to Liverpool on Sunday, Redknapp criticised Taarabt's fitness, claiming the Moroccan international was "three stone overweight" and could not be selected.

Taarabt has since hit back at those jibes and insisted that the manager was aiming to turn the QPR fans against him, but Redknapp has come out to have his say once more as the row rumbles on.

"The only reason he has lost weight is because he has had tonsillitis," he told The Sun.

"That's the only way we could get any weight off of him. He is not fit to play a game, that's the truth.

"He is the worst professional I have ever come across and I have been his only ally at QPR for the past three years. He doesn't try and I have protected him for too long."

Willian

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Rodgers: I want to coach in Spain after Liverpool

74005.3.jpg

By George Ankers
Oct 20, 2014 10:44:00

The Northern Irishman hopes to stay at Anfield for "20-odd years" to fulfil his ambitions with the club, but is keen to broaden his horizons in La Liga in the future

Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers has revealed his ambition to one day coach in Spain.

The Reds boss spent time in the country to learn and observe during his managerial education and is keen to go back once he has done everything that he wants to do at Anfield.

Rodgers is adamant that he could happily stay at Liverpool for "another 20-odd years" but would like to broaden his horizons eventually.

Asked by AS where he seems himself in five years, the Northern Irishman replied: "I don't know ... I hope one day to work in Spain.

"I've studied Spanish but I need to improve. I'll probably improve when I work in the country one day. For most people, when they travel to a country their language becomes better. I speak to the Spanish players that we have in Spanish.

"I'm only 41, which is very young, and there are lots of things I want to achieve here at Liverpool. It's an incredible club and I hope to be managing here for another 20-odd years.

"One day, hopefully, it can take me to Spain and I can experience a wonderful country, culture and, as I said, some wonderful football club.

"I spent a lot of time in Spain and Holland," Rodgers added. "I was enthused by clubs that had the link and the association from the base through to the top. I also love the Spanish way of football, the domination and control of the ball.

"I spent a lot of time travelling, went to various clubs. I spent time in Sevilla looking at the club's development of young players and to Barcelona, Valencia and obviously to Madrid.

"Those were the main clubs that I went to look at and then, of course, going to lots of games. I enjoy going out to Villareal, a beautiful little place, wonderful club that has done really great for a number of years now."

Dzeko

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Ospina out for up to three months, confirms Wenger

463512_heroa.jpg

By Harry Sherlock
Oct 22, 2014 00:55:00

The Colombia international suffered a recurrence of a previous thigh injury in the Champions League win over Galatasaray and will now face a prolonged spell on the sidelines

Arsenal goalkeeper David Ospina has been ruled out for up to three months after suffering a thigh injury, Arsene Wenger has confirmed.

The Colombia international, who joined the Gunners from Nice earlier this summer, was left out of the Gunners squad for games against Chelsea and Hull with fitness issues, and will now face an enforced absence after scans confirmed that a previous injury suffered at the French club has flared up.

His injury means that Emiliano Martinez will play against Anderlecht in the Champions League on Wednesday – with Wojciech Sczcesny suspended – and will continue to deputise during Ospina’s lay-off.

Wenger expressed his regret at playing Ospina during the European win over Galatasaray following Sczcesny's red card and admits that him suffering the injury was a result of a lack of preparation.

"It is exactly the same (injury) . He had his first injury in Nice, it was a knee problem and I think he was a bit rushed back,” Wenger told a press conference.

"He didn't use his legs so his muscle became weaker, then he got injured during the World Cup. And after that he came to us injured, from the World Cup. It took him two months to play a game.

"I had to bring him on against Galatasaray without a warm-up, without being prepared and he had a recurrence of that injury. That means he is out for two to three months.

"Now we have to be really careful because he has a recurrence of a thigh injury that's very difficult. It's a long-term injury."

The goalkeeper’s fitness worries only deepen Arsene Wenger’s selection issues, with another six players, including Mesut Ozil, Olivier Giroud and Laurent Koscielny, also currently sidelined.

Dzeko

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Ferguson breaks silence on Moyes sacking

278488_heroa.jpg

By Sam Lee
Oct 22, 2014 00:35:00

The veteran manager says his successor did not appreciate the size of the club, and also fiercely defended the quality and age of the squad he left behind for the incoming boss

Former Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson has finally opened up about the sacking of his Old Trafford successor David Moyes, claiming the former Everton boss had not appreciated the club's size.

Ferguson also attempted to set the record straight over United's succession plan, questioning the "accepted view" that a meeting at the veteran manager's house was enough to seal the deal.

The 72-year-old had previously avoided the Moyes issue in public interviews, but in excerpts from his updated autobiography he has revealed he held a one-to-one meeting with his replacement following the 3-0 home defeat to Manchester City, and also questioned his slow style of play.

“He hadn't realised just how big United is as a club," Ferguson wrote. "It was a massive jump."

Regarding the playing style employed by Moyes, which attracted criticism from a number of pundits and former players, Ferguson continued: “The reason for playing at speed was that United players had been accustomed to operating that way.

“If the tempo slowed for any reason, I would be into them at half-time: 'This is not us', I would say. Playing with speed never hindered our results. It was our way: energy and determination in the last third of the pitch.

“As the results deteriorated, each defeat was a hammer blow to him.

“I could see that in his demeanour. In January we bought Juan Mata and that gave everyone a lift but I could see the walls squeezing in, leaving David with less and less room to breathe.

“I know that feeling from 1989, when we went through a terrible spell. You feel you are being crushed. The results gnawed away at David.

“Nobody could dispute how disappointing the season was. And it cost a man his job.”

Ferguson also launched an impassioned defence of himself from accusations that he had contributed to the club's decline by taking sole responsibility for his successor's appointment, and also that the squad he left behind for was too old.

Using the word "nonsense" on two occasions, Ferguson pointed out that 11 of his title-winning squad in 2012-13 were 25 or under, and claimed there was a proper process in place when it came to appointing the club's first new manager since 1986.

“There appears to be an accepted view out there that there was no process,” he continued. “Nonsense. We feel we did everything the right way: quietly, thoroughly, professionally.”

On the squad Moyes inherited, Ferguson added: "Chelsea started the current season as favourites for the title, with a squad that also had six players in their 30s. I don’t hear any grumbles about the age of their group.

"Antiquated was a bizarre description of the structure I left behind at Manchester United. Have you seen our new training ground?"

Moyes was also questioned about his decision to let Ferguson's back-room staff leave the club, but the former boss says he advised his successor to keep No.2 Mike Phelan.

“Maybe David felt that at such a massive club he had to be sure that all corners were covered in terms of his support system,” said Ferguson. “I felt that network was already there, with plenty of great people already in important slots.”

Ramsey

Alfrescian
Loyal

Diego Costa released from hospital following stomach illness

468618_heroa.jpg

By Liam Twomey
Oct 23, 2014 18:29:00

The Chelsea striker was admitted for treatment after returning from Spain duty with a bug although it remains to be seen if he will be fit in time to face Manchester United

Chelsea striker Diego Costa is out of hospital following a severe stomach illness.

The Spain striker was admitted this week for treatment after returning from international duty with the bug.

He is also still receiving care on a groin injury he sustained while playing for Spain in their 4-0 defeat of Luxembourg last week, during which he scored his first international goal for his adopted country.

The injury ruled him out of Chelsea's 2-1 win over Crystal Palace last weekend, with Costa also absent for the Blues' 6-0 Champions League win over Maribor in midweek.

It is as yet unclear whether he will be fit and available for selection for Chelsea's match against Manchester United on Sunday.

Jose Mourinho sarcastically greeted news of Costa's injured return from international duty, saying: "He will be in great condition in mid-November to be back for the national team. That's for sure.

"He will play for me when he has free time from the national team."

The Portuguese manager had previously expressed his concerns over Costa's selection for Spain, insisting the striker would benefit from treatment rather than more games.

He said: "After we beat Arsenal, Costa went to the national team, he played two big matches against Slovakia and Luxembourg, and he came back in conditions where he's not available to play for his club.

"Our medical department will take great care of him and in mid-November he will be in perfect condition."

Ramsey

Alfrescian
Loyal

Balotelli facing police investigation over alleged threatening behaviour towards a woman

480711_heroa.jpg

By Alex Young

Oct 23, 2014 18:47:00

Greater Manchester Police have confirmed to Goal that an incident is being looked into after a member of the public was reportedly confronted by the striker for taking photographs

Mario Balotelli is being investigated for allegedly making verbal threats towards a woman, Greater Manchester Police have confirmed.

The Liverpool striker reportedly took offence to a woman taking photos of his Ferrari in Wythenshawe around 15.00GMT on Thursday.

Police confirmed to Goal that the matter is being looked into, but the attending officer is yet to submit a full statement.

Balotelli has a history of involvement with police and only last month was the subject of an investigation after suffering racial abuse on Twitter.

The former Manchester City striker recently returned to England after 18 months in Italy with AC Milan, moving to Anfield in a €20 million deal.

The Italy international has struggled for form upon his return to the Premier League, however, with his only goal for Liverpool so far coming in the Champions League against Ludogorets.

Balotelli was withdrawn at half-time of Liverpool's 3-0 defeat to Real Madrid on Wednesday and caused a stir by swapping shirts with Pepe while heading off down the tunnel, with manager Brendan Rodgers later stating the striker must continue to battle for his place in the side if he is to be a success at Anfield.

Ramsey

Alfrescian
Loyal

Warnock charged over ref remark

Neil Warnock has been charged with misconduct by the Football Association for his post-match comments following the home defeat by Chelsea on Saturday.

163793242.jpg

Thursday 23rd October 2014

Crystal Palace manager Neil Warnock has been charged with misconduct by the Football Association for his post-match comments following the home defeat by Chelsea on Saturday.

Warnock appeared to infer that referee Craig Pawson was using double standards by not booking John Terry yet cautioning a Palace player for a similar offence.

The FA said in a statement: "It is alleged that Warnock's post-match comments constituted improper conduct in that they implied the match referee was motivated by bias; and/or brought the game into disrepute, in contravention of FA Rule E3[1]."

Warnock has until 6pm on Monday to respond to the charge.

Meanwhile, the FA has contacted Swansea manager Garry Monk to seek his observations about his post-match comments following the defeat at Stoke.

Monk blasted match official Michael Oliver for a "disgusting" decision in awarding a penalty for a foul on Stoke's Victor Moses, and made vitriolic criticism of Moses for what he claimed was a blatant dive.

Warnock is no stranger to FA charges for criticism of referees. His latest charge comes after the Palace manager suggested referee Pawson may have looking to "even up" his decisions after showing the red card to Chelsea's Cesar Azpilicueta - two minutes later he sent off Damien Delaney.

He told reporters after the match: "They buzzed me down from upstairs saying it'll be evened up if we're not careful. Delaney shouldn't have given him a chance, but it was wrong that four or five Chelsea players surrounded the referee.

"I thought he was influenced by one or two things. John Terry's (non) booking - if that's one of my players, it's a booking. I don't understand why it's not an even platform."

Ramsey

Alfrescian
Loyal

Whelan out for six weeks

Stoke midfielder Glenn Whelan has been ruled out for up to six weeks with a fracture of the right leg.

Mats%20Daehli%20%28R%29%20of%20Cardiff%20City%20is%20tracked%20by%20Glenn%20Whelan%20%28L%29%20of%20Stoke%20City.jpg

Thursday 23rd October 2014

Whelan sustained the injury during the Republic of Ireland's 1-1 draw with Germany in Gelsenkirchen on October 14, forcing him off after 54 minutes of the Euro 2016 qualifier.

The 30-year-old subsequently missed Stoke's 2-1 victory over Swansea on Saturday, and is now unlikely to return until early December.

It means Whelan will also Ireland's European Championship group game with Scotland on November 14, along with a number of Stoke fixtures.

City manager Mark Hughes said: "He got a kick on the outside of his leg, and there is a slight fracture there.

"He's not been put into a plaster cast. We're going to try and manage it without that because Glenn feels he'll get back sooner.

"But the likelihood is he's going to be out for four to six weeks I'd imagine, which is a blow for Glenn obviously because he is a big part of what we're doing, and we'll miss him.

"He's been playing really well of late, but we'll get him back as soon as we can.

"As for Ireland, knowing Glenn he'll try and make himself available, but my feeling is the game will be too soon for him.

"You have to let nature take it course. With fractures you have to give them enough time to heal."

Ramsey

Alfrescian
Loyal

Former Barca keeper Valdes to train with United

Former Barcelona goalkeeper Victor Valdes is to train with Manchester United, the club have announced.

182585920.jpg

Friday 24th October 2014

The 32-year-old, a free agent after leaving the Nou Camp in the summer, will first continue his recovery from a torn cruciate ligament at United before training with the first team.

A statement from the Old Trafford club said: "Manchester United manager Louis van Gaal has offered the 32-year-old former Barcelona goalkeeper Victor Valdes a chance to complete his rehabilitation from a knee injury and to work his way back to fitness with the club.

"Valdes, a free agent, will have his recovery supervised by the United medical staff before training with the first team, as he bids to regain full fitness."

Van Gaal gave Valdes his Barcelona debut as a 20-year-old in 2002, but the keeper played under the Dutchman for just six months before he left his post as manager.

Valdes won six Primera Division and three Champions League titles during his time at Barca, but it was brought to a premature end when he injured his knee in March. Having already announced he would be leaving the club in the summer, it spelled the end of his career in Catalonia as well as ruling him out of Spain's World Cup campaign.

Ramsey

Alfrescian
Loyal

Campbell: Arsenal Invicibles squad would cost over £1bn today

505131_heroa.jpg

By Harry Sherlock
Oct 24, 2014 15:00:00

The Gunners went through the 2003-04 season unbeaten, winning 26 and drawing 12 of their 38 games, and the former defender believes such a squad would cost a huge sum today

Sol Campbell claims Arsenal’s ‘Invincibles’ squad would cost over £1 billion in today’s transfer market.

The Gunners won the Premier League in 2003-04 without losing a single match, winning 26 and drawing 12 of their 38 games to finish 11 points ahead of second-placed Chelsea.

And Campbell believes assembling a squad of such quality in 2014 would cost an astronomical fee, with icons like Thierry Henry, Dennis Bergkamp and Robert Pires.

"Would our team be the best today? Oh yeah," he told the London Evening Standard. "You look back at the team we had and you think it would cost more than £1b to buy those players now. Easy, £1bn.

"We had Thierry doing his stuff, Dennis causing problems and scoring goals. Patrick was at his best, Robert could thread passes through the eye of a needle. We had Fredrik Ljungberg, Jens Lehmann, Ashley Cole, myself, Kolo Toure, Lauren.

"The amazing thing was that we didn’t even cost that much. Thierry was £11million, Dennis £7.5m, Pires £6m, Ljungberg £3m, Lauren £7.2m, Gilberto Silva £4.5m, Lehmann £2m.

"I moved on a free, Kolo Toure cost £150,000, Ashley Cole came through the ranks, Patrick was £3.5m. Imagine what all those players would cost today.”

No team has matched Arsenal’s unbeaten season since, but Campbell believes current Premier League leaders Chelsea could emulate what the Gunners achieved.

Jose Mourinho’s side have won seven and drawn one of their opening eight games this season, and Campbell believes the Blues "have the best team" in England.

"You have to have the team, and they do," Campbell added. "The best team have always got a chance but it might still go against you. A ricochet here or there can end the run or keep it going. They are fine lines.

"Even if you have the best players and manager, there are certain things you can’t control.

"There were a few games that season where we came off the pitch and thought, ‘how did we get through that?’ At the time, I didn’t realise how incredible it was."

Campbell believes the impressive form shown by Chelsea is largely down to their well-stocked cash reserves, though he concedes the "balance of power has moved to west London" in recent years.

"Arsenal are still hanging in there but at Chelsea the purse is just that bit bigger, and it opens more avenues," he added.

"The north London teams have to work with restrictions. They can buy players but there isn’t the financial power of Chelsea."

Ramsey

Alfrescian
Loyal

Wenger to hand Walcott late fitness test ahead of Sunderland clash

473881_heroa.jpg

By Harry Sherlock
Oct 24, 2014 18:20:00

The Arsenal winger has been sidelined for over nine months but recently came through 45 minutes for the club's Under-21 side and is now in line for a first-team return

Theo Walcott will be subjected to a late fitness test ahead of Arsenal’s clash with Sunderland as he bids to make his first-team return at the Stadium of Light, Goal understands.

The winger has been absent from the first-team squad since January 4, when he damaged his knee ligaments during the Gunners’ FA Cup victory over Tottenham.

However, the 25-year-old came through 45 minutes for the Under-21 side last week and is now in with a chance of making the bench for the Premier League clash on Saturday.

Arsene Wenger was pessimistic when asked about Walcott’s chances on Friday, telling reporters: "He has to get used to physical contact again. He has been out for nine months. It was a big injury.

"It takes time to settle and to get used to being kicked again. I am not sure to involve him tomorrow. He needs a game to feel completely confident but he is not far."

But Goal understands the Gunners will test Walcott’s fitness on the morning of the game before making a final decision on his inclusion.

The news of the 25-year-old’s potential return will come as a welcome boost for Wenger, with a number of first-team stars – including Mesut Ozil, Olivier Giroud and Laurent Koscielny – still sidelined.

Ramsey

Alfrescian
Loyal

Mourinho: Diego Costa has 'a little chance' of facing Manchester United

493181_heroa.jpg

By Oliver Platt
Oct 24, 2014 14:25:00

Loic Remy will miss the clash at Old Trafford after suffering a groin injury against Maribor but the Chelsea boss says there is some hope his star striker could feature

Chelsea manager Jose Mourinho says striker Diego Costa has "a little chance" of facing Manchester United at Old Trafford on Sunday.

Costa had been considered a major doubt for the fixture due to a long-standing hamstring injury which has kept him out of recent games against Crystal Palace and Maribor.

To compound the concerns, the Spaniard was hospitalised with a virus earlier this week and reports on Friday claimed he was struggling with a groin injury. Mourinho, however, says he could play a part against Louis van Gaal's side.

"He had to go to hospital with a viral situation, to spend one night, before Maribor," Mourinho told reporters. "The problem is being ill didn't help his recovery process, because we couldn't have him here at Cobham [the training ground.]

"Diego Costa has a chance, a little chance. [Loic] Remy has no chance. The only one I can confirm. No chance."

Mourinho was questioned on a range of topics including his close relationship with United manager Van Gaal, who he worked under at Barcelona, as well as Angel Di Maria, who he managed at Real Madrid.

The Portuguese boss was persistent in his reluctance to speak about other clubs, however, and also refused to comment on the criticism facing Mario Balotelli at Liverpool.

On Van Gaal, he said: "I never hide the fact that he was an important influence in my career but this weekend he is my opponent, so please do not make me speak about him for half an hour.

"The world knows what I think about him because I never hide, so what can I add?"

When asked to explain what made his relationship with Van Gaal so special, he replied: "Ask me next week."

Mourinho insisted he would set his team up to win the game in Manchester and disputed the suggestion the Blues had been satisfied to settle for a point in the same fixture last year, which ended 0-0.

"We go to every match to win but sometimes matches go in a direction where you feel one point becomes a good result," Mourinho explained.

"On Sunday, we will go to win. If you give me now one point, I don’t accept it. I want to fight for three points. But during the game, sometimes a point is a positive result."

Ramsey

Alfrescian
Loyal

Van Gaal: Valdes and I have a special relationship

464449_heroa.jpg

By Sam Lee
Oct 24, 2014 18:47:00

The goalkeeper is currently training with Manchester United as he recovers from an anterior cruciate ligament injury and the Dutchman has hailed the former Barcelona star

Manchester United manager Louis van Gaal says he has a "special relationship" with former Barcelona goalkeeper Victor Valdes, who is training with the English club.

The Spaniard, who left Barca at the end of last season, has linked up with United in a bid to continue his recovery from the anterior cruciate ligament injury that he suffered in March.

And Van Gaal admits he has great respect for Valdes, with whom he worked at the Camp Nou during his two spells in charge.

"Every human being is special because they all have identities," he told reporters.

"It's a principle of my philosophy that you have to respect the individual human being. He's special because I've worked with him and we've retained our relationship, which is not always the case.

"It is not a surprise because I have done it with lots of players. I have a relationship with a lot of them. I gave Ronald de Boer and Edgar Davids training possibilities in the past - Valdes is one of these players.

"Robin van Persie also. When he played for me in the Dutch squad, I allowed him to use our medical department to keep fit for the World Cup. I wasn't the manager of United at the time, so I have always done it."

Speculation has mounted in recent days that United could sign Valdes permanently, and Van Gaal admits that "United always have their eyes open" in regards to new signings.