• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

☆ Barclays Premier League Season 2014-15 ☆

Fabregas

Alfrescian
Loyal

Fabregas ban reduced to just one match

1406142_heroa.jpg

May 20, 2015 17:30:00

The Spain international saw red at the Hawthorns after kicking the ball at Chris Brunt but the FA have ruled the original three-game suspension was excessive

Chelsea midfielder Cesc Fabregas has seen his suspension reduced to one match after being sent off in the Blues' 3-0 defeat to West Brom on Monday.

Referee Mike Jones have the Spain international his marching orders in the first half of the clash after he kicked the ball against the side of Chris Brunt's head.

Manager Jose Mourinho was critical of the referee after the game insisting the red card was "bizarre" and describing a possible three-match ban as "Harsh? Of course it's harsh".

However, a subsequent appeal has been successful with Fabregas now set to miss just one match, Chelsea's final game of the season at Stamford Bridge against Sunderland on Sunday.

"A claim by Chelsea that the three-match suspension for Cesc Fabregas is excessive has been upheld by an Independent Regulatory Commission hearing," read a statement on the FA's website.

"Fabregas was dismissed for violent conduct during the West Bromwich Albion FC v Chelsea FC fixture on 18 May.

"The Regulatory Commission has reduced the Chelsea midfielder’s suspension to one match, to be served with immediate effect."

stardies

Alfrescian
Loyal

Steven Gerrard in numbers

16 May 2015

Yir7k

As Steven Gerrard's Liverpool career comes to an end, here are the key numbers that tell the story of an Anfield legend:

709 - Only Ian Callaghan (857) and Jamie Carragher (737) have more Liverpool appearances to their name than Gerrard.

185 - Goals scored by Gerrard for Liverpool, putting him in fifth place - immediately above Robbie Fowler, Kenny Dalglish and Michael Owen - in the Anfield record books.

115 - The number of different clubs faced by Gerrard in a career spanning over 16 years.

40 - Goals scored in European competitions - a Liverpool club record - including his famous header against Milan in the Champions League Final 2005.

9 - Major honours won by Gerrard at Liverpool, comprising three League Cups, two FA Cups, two UEFA Super Cups, one UEFA Cup (now the Europa League) and one UEFA Champions League.

3 - The number of times Gerrard finished as a runner up in the Premier League, falling just short of his ambition to win the competition.

He will be missed.. one of my favorite player of all times

SamAllardyce

Alfrescian
Loyal

Kane could miss start of next season - Pochettino

19 May 2015

846835header.jpg

Tottenham head coach Mauricio Pochettino said striker Harry Kane could miss the start of next season if he plays for England at the Euro Under-21s Championship.

Kane, 21, has enjoyed a breakout season for Tottenham – scoring 20 Premier League goals for Pochettino's side.

He appears set to play for England at the Euro U21s Championship, which begin in the Czech Republic on June 17.

Pochettino said the striker could be sidelined for the start of 2015-16 if he played for England's U21s.

"Harry is not tired, but the problem is, if you play a lot of games in the Premier League and the Europa League over a season, you expend a lot of energy," he said.

"It is not easy but it is not about tiredness, it is about next season. We can see him in the future being the number one, not just for us but for the senior England team.

"I don't want to speak too much, but it is the FA's decision. I am sure they will take the right decision for Harry and all the players with England."

Despite his concerns, Pochettino said Kane would be part of the Tottenham squad to face a Malaysia XI and Sydney FC on May 27 and May 30 respectively.

"He deserves to go," he said.

"He will enjoy seeing a different country and it is one week to enjoy with our supporters in Australia and Malaysia so he deserves to go."

SamAllardyce

Alfrescian
Loyal

QPR future not at risk - Fernandes

19 May 2015

846896header.jpg

Tony Fernandes insists QPR have made strides towards long-term security, despite relegation from the Premier League and the prospect of a Financial Fair Play (FFP) fine.

The QPR chairman is confident the club are in a better position than when they dropped out of the top flight two years ago, with that experience forming part of a steep learning curve.

A penalty of up to £58million is hanging over the club following FFP breaches in the 2013-14 Championship promotion season, with legal proceedings having been undertaken to challenge the sanction.

But Fernandes is feeling optimistic about QPR's future both off the field and on it.

"We've always been chasing and desperate to get back up, but this time we will just stick to our guns and get players who have longer-term vision," Fernandes told The Guardian.

"We'll see how it goes from there. We're feeling good, actually. It's strange. We feel like after four years we are finally in the groove.

"Last time we went down I was a lot more tense about it. I was worried about a lot of things. And yet we still got through it, we got back up.

"This time we go down in a much stronger position, with a better structure in place and better solutions to pursue with what we want to do in the long term."

Fernandes also revealed that most of the squad had relegation clauses inserted into their contracts, which will enable Chris Ramsey - who is expected to be appointed head coach on a permanent basis - to work within a reduced playing budget more effectively.

Abramovich

Alfrescian
Loyal

Gutierrez preparing to say goodbye in ´most important´ Newcastle match

19 May 2015

846895header.jpg

Jonas Gutierrez says Saturday's encounter against West Ham is the "most important" match of his Newcastle United career in what could be his farewell appearance for the club.

Newcastle are not yet safe from relegation ahead of the Premier League contest at St James' Park and defeat to Sam Allardyce's men coupled with a Hull City victory against Manchester United would consign John Carver's side to the drop.

Gutierrez was a part of the last Newcastle team to drop into the Championship in 2009 and the Argentine winger is keen to avoid a repeat of those painful memories.

"It's the most important game I have to play in seven years," Gutierrez told the Shields Gazette.

"The good thing is that we play at home and it's in our hands. A few players here know what it's like to go down, and it's not nice for the city, the players and the club.

"We need to move forward to the next game, and do it for the fans and the city."

Gutierrez returned to the Newcastle first-team earlier this year after being given the all clear following a fight with testicular cancer.

The 31-year-old's contract is set to expire at the end of the campaign and he has vowed to give his all to the cause until the end.

"I know this could be my last game at St James' Park," he added.

"Since I have recovered from my illness, I have always said the same thing. I want to help the team and work hard.

"I've been improving all the weeks since I arrived. I feel stronger and feel I can play 90 minutes. Two months ago, I didn't know I was going to be able to [play].

"I feel strong. I think the same - help the team. Most of all, we have to do it for the fans and the city, because they don't deserve to be in this situation. We are the players, and we have to take responsibility."

Abramovich

Alfrescian
Loyal

Sterling exit rumours exaggerated - agent

19 May 2015

846910header.jpg

Reports that Raheem Sterling is planning to tell Liverpool he wants to leave the club have been "blown out of proportion", according to the player's agent.

Speculation in the British media on Monday suggested the England international was set to state his desire to seek a move away from Anfield.

Sterling, who reportedly turned down a new deal worth £100,000 a week last month, is said to be attracting interest from the likes of Manchester City, Arsenal and Real Madrid.

But his representative, Aidy Ward, says talks will continue with the Premier League club this week.

"The story has been blown somewhat out of proportion," he told talkSPORT.

"Raheem and his representatives have a meeting scheduled with Liverpool later this week and we will take proceedings from there."

Sterling conducted an interview with the BBC last month in which he claimed that he was not motivated by greed and that his focus is purely on winning trophies.

Liverpool legend Jamie Carragher warned Sterling to "keep his mouth shut" over his future, while even accusing the forward of failing to turn up in the big matches.

"For a 20-year-old kid to be taking on Liverpool over a contract. To the pit of my stomach that just winds me up, it angers me," he told Sky Sports.

"The lad is from London and he obviously wants to go back home. It might not be about money. It may be about trophies or playing in the Champions League. If it's about trophies, Liverpool had a chance for a trophy this year, in the FA Cup semi-final at Wembley against Aston Villa. Where was Sterling?

"If you want trophies, they don't get given to you, you have to earn them, you have to play well in big games. What did Liverpool do in the Champions League? Nothing. What did Sterling do? Nothing.

"To do what he's done now. There's nothing worse than that. You keep your mouth shut - get on with playing football."

Abramovich

Alfrescian
Loyal

Ramsey handed three-year QPR contract

19 May 2015

846968header.jpg

Relegated QPR have appointed Chris Ramsey as head coach on a three-year contract, the club confirmed on Tuesday.

Ramsey assumed the reins following Harry Redknapp's departure in February, but was unable to preserve the Loftus Road outfit's Premier League status.

QPR have managed just three wins from 14 under Ramsey, but the 53-year-old has been entrusted with the task of returning the club to the top flight.

"When Chris took over the role we were already in a very difficult position, yet despite our relegation, we – as a board – have been impressed with the professionalism and attention to detail he has demonstrated since becoming head coach," said chairman Tony Fernandes.

"He lives and breathes management and coaching, and I am sure he will flourish in this role, as we look to bounce back from this season’s disappointments.

"This is a new start for us and one I am confident Chris will relish playing a major part in."

Ramsey himself added: "This is a fantastic opportunity for me and one I am tremendously excited about.

"I enjoyed my time in temporary charge, despite the way the season panned out, and now I'm looking forward to the challenge of helping rebuild this club over the coming years.

"I am fully aware of what this club means to its supporters and I intend to do everything possible to help build a QPR team they can be proud of."

QPR are facing sanctions over breaches of Financial Fair Play regulations in their 2013-14 Championship promotion season, which could land them a fine of up to £58million.

The club are involved in legal proceedings to have the punishment revoked and Fernandes has expressed confidence in reaching an agreeable solution.

Abramovich

Alfrescian
Loyal

Sinclair secures permanent Villa move

19 May 2015

847206header.jpg

Scott Sinclair will join Aston Villa on a four-year deal in the summer after their Premier League survival triggered a permanent switch in his loan move from Manchester City.

Sinclair has scored three goals in 11 appearances since moving to Villa Park on temporary terms in the January transfer window, helping Villa preserve their top-flight status and reach the FA Cup final.

Two of Sinclair's strikes have come in the club's run to Wembley.

The winger's game-time has dried up in recent weeks with Tim Sherwood preferring Jack Grealish and Charles N'Zogbia in support of Christian Benteke, but the Villa Park boss affirmed his liking for Sinclair in response to the weekend's 6-1 drubbing at Southampton.

Sherwood said: "We're playing with two No.10s in N'Zogbia and Jack who play infield a little bit more.

"I think if we go back to wide players then Scott will be an automatic choice to play there.

"It's horses for courses at the moment. That's the way we're choosing to play."

And Sinclair is looking forward to nailing down a spot in Sherwood's plans going forward.

He told Villa's official website: "I am so happy.

"We've had a fantastic end to the current season - and now I am already looking forward to the new season starting.

"It's also great for me and the family to be settled now.

"For every footballer, it's important to have that stability. I believe that will help me perform better and push on for this great club in the coming years."

Redknapp

Alfrescian
Loyal

Advocaat still unsure of future

20 May 2015

847388header.jpg

Sunderland manager Dick Advocaat insists he is yet to make a decision on his future as he keeps the club guessing.

Advocaat's side visit Arsenal on Wednesday, and a point would guarantee Sunderland's Premier League status.

The Dutchman said he was still considering whether he wanted to stay on as manager beyond the end of the season.

"I repeat, I have not made a decision yet on my future," Advocaat said.

"I have not given Sunderland an answer, either one way or another.

"I will not do that until next week when I will let them know. There has to be a quick decision though and the meeting will take place at the start of next week."

Advocaat, 67, said the Sunderland job would be the last of his career - rubbishing reports he could join Rangers as the director of football.

If Sunderland fail to win at Arsenal, they may need a point at Chelsea on Sunday.

"Fighting relegation is something new for me, and I don't like it. I don't like relegation battles, because I am used to working at a higher level - challenging for championships and cups," Advocaat said.

"Now it's not just about what we do, since you are also relying on other teams. We don't know what will happen at the weekend.

"As far as pressure goes, I learned a long time ago never to show it. You must always enjoy it, whatever the situation and that is what we must do at Arsenal. It's a beautiful stadium and a great pitch - what more do you want?"

LouisVanGaal

Alfrescian
Loyal

Van Gaal steals show at United awards evening

20 May 2015

847444header.jpg

Louis van Gaal provided the biggest talking point at Manchester United's annual awards evening, with an entertaining speech that prompted much amusement.

The United manager was given the opportunity to address those in attendance at Old Trafford on Tuesday for the presentation, during which David de Gea was named player of the year.

Van Gaal initially attracted attention by recalling a team meeting in which captain Wayne Rooney had set the target of a second-place finish.

Raising his voice and punching the air, Van Gaal roared: "I said 'yes - we go for it!'" - sparking loud cheers.

The Dutchman went on to suggest United are "very close" to becoming Premier League champions once again, before returning to the stage later in the evening for a somewhat bizarre second address.

"I want to say something. Pay attention to the manager," announced Van Gaal.

"Ryan Giggs said to me, and he is right, he is always right, but in this case particularly right … I have said to you that you are the best fans of the world, but I was tonight a little bit disappointed and I shall say why.

"I have seen a lady who plays the saxophone fantastically - give her big applause!"

Former United defender Gary Neville was among those present and tweeted: "I don't know if anyone is still up. But LVG is cracking me up here. Great entertainment!

"One of the best / funniest 20 mins I've ever had!"

Filipe

Alfrescian
Loyal

Bruce issues rallying cry ahead of crucial weekend

20 May 2015

847449header.jpg

Steve Bruce remains optimistic that Hull City can beat Manchester United on the final day of the season to preserve their Premier League status.

Last weekend's 2-0 defeat to Tottenham left Hull two points adrift of safety with one game to play, meaning they must win against Bruce's former club to have a chance of avoiding relegation.

Newcastle United and Sunderland - who have a game in hand - can still be caught if Hull prevail on Sunday and Bruce is not giving up hope.

"We're up against one of the top teams but we're at home and we all know the importance of it," he told the Hull Daily Mail.

"We can't spend time worrying about the opposition because we've shown we're capable against the best teams.

"We've been to three top clubs, Manchester City, Arsenal and Liverpool, and got a result, and then beaten Liverpool at home as well.

"I know we're capable. We know the magnitude of this game and let's make sure we take the chance.

"We can't complain at being where we are but there's still one more chance to get out of trouble."

SamAllardyce

Alfrescian
Loyal

Carver tells Newcastle fans: Put all your differences to one side

20 May 2015

847477header.jpg

Newcastle United coach John Carver has called for fans to put their anger at the club's hierarchy aside as they look to secure Premier League safety at home to West Ham on Sunday.

A woeful slide under Carver has seen the club pick up just one point in their last 10 games, dropping them from mid-table security towards the perils of the relegation zone.

Carver's inability to stop the rot has only intensified fans' ire at club owner Mike Ashley's perceived lack of ambition.

But Carver, who could be leading Newcastle for the last time as his interim spell in charge comes to an end, wants attention to be focused solely on matters on the pitch.

He said: "It's come to this and we have to deal with it. But I'm looking forward to the challenge that this week will bring.

"I have enough players in that room who realise what this game means. We talk about it's the biggest game in six years this football club's had, and it is that.

"I'm expecting the big players to step up and perform and put in the kind of performance that will keep the team in the Premier League.

"We have to win the game. If we win, we take care of our own business. Winning is our only thought."

"There's no second chances. This is the final game of the season and it's all about this one game."

"We need the supporters this weekend. Put all your differences to one side and get behind the team. We will have an inquest after.

"We need your support so whatever you think of me, [managing director] Lee Charnley or Mike Ashley, put it to one side.

"The post-mortem can come after the game.‎"

Newcastle know victory over West Ham will guarantee their Premier League status.

MesutOzil

Alfrescian
Loyal

Overmars warns United off Cillessen

20 May 2015

847496header.jpg

Marc Overmars has warned Manchester United manager Louis van Gaal not to target Ajax goalkeeper Jasper Cillessen if David de Gea leaves Old Trafford.

De Gea - who was handed United's players' player of the year award on Tuesday - is reported to be a target for Real Madrid after another impressive campaign.

Yet Overmars insists Ajax are not interested in releasing Cillessen should van Gaal seek to make a move for a player he has previously coached at international level.

"He is not for sale," Overmars told De Telegraaf when asked about Cillessen. "Not even for 25 million euros."

Cillessen made 42 appearances for the Dutch giants in all competitions this season, keeping 15 clean sheets.

Gomis

Alfrescian
Loyal

Sheringham set for Stevenage

20 May 2015

847573header.jpg

Teddy Sheringham is in talks with Stevenage about replacing Graham Westley as manager at the Lamex Stadium.

The former England and Manchester United striker has emerged as the firm favourite to take over at the League Two club, who finished in the play-offs this season.

Defeat to Southend United in a thrilling two-legged tie cost them the chance to make an immediate return to League One.

Westley has managed Stevenage in eight of the past 12 seasons across two seasons and has "opportunities outside of football to consider" according to club chairman Phil Wallace.

Sheringham has spent this season coaching West Ham's attackers, and was credited by manager Sam Allardyce for the work he had done as the Londoners enjoyed lofty positions in the Premier League earlier this season.

Alexis

Alfrescian
Loyal

Adebayor considered suicide over family issues

20 May 2015

847707header.jpg

Tottenham striker Emmanuel Adebayor has revealed he contemplated suicide over issues with his family.

Adebayor has published two previous Facebook posts hitting out at his family following accusations he failed to support them financially.

And the former Arsenal, Manchester City and Real Madrid man released a third lengthy statement on the social media website on Wednesday, focusing on brothers Kola and Peter, the latter of whom passed away in August 2013.

In it he claims Kola and Peter held a knife to his throat following a dispute over money during his time at Monaco.

And in the penultimate paragraph of the post, Adebayor wrote: "Many times I wanted to give up. Ask my sister Iyabo Adebayor how many times I have called and was ready to commit suicide?

"I kept these stories for years… But If I die, no one would know my story, no one would learn from it… Some people say I should keep these stories private, but someone has to sacrifice himself; someone has to talk about it.

"I know people would relate to my story and others would learn from it. For every one who knows me, I'd do anything for my country and my people."

DiMaria

Alfrescian
Loyal

Advocaat to decide on Sunderland future next week

20 May 2015

847852header.jpg

Dick Advocaat says he will give an answer on the question of his Sunderland future next week after guiding the club to Premier League survival.

Sunderland secured their place in the top tier for next season with a battling 0-0 draw at Arsenal on Wednesday.

Advocaat was visibly emotional at full-time of what - as it stands - was his penultimate game in charge of the Wearsiders, with the Dutchman having signed a contract until the end of the season in March.

Asked by Sky Sports if he would stay beyond Sunday's finale at champions Chelsea, Advocaat replied: "I will give probably next week an answer on that."

Assessing his side's performance, Advocaat added: "Arsenal had the possession but you know if you keep trying you get your chances. In the second half we had chances and we had to score.

"Arsenal were the better side but the organisation was unbelievably good. The emotion was so high. We only lost one in the last six and that is why they deserve to stay in [the Premier League].

"Our defence was great. An unbelievable feeling we did it by ourselves. The players gave everything to stay up."

DiMaria

Alfrescian
Loyal

Desailly: Mourinho would have won title with City

20 May 2015

847917header.jpg

Former French defender Marcel Desailly believes Manchester City would have the Premier League title had Jose Mourinho been at the helm and not Manuel Pellegrini.

Mourinho and his Chelsea side cantered to England's top-flight crown, sealing their second piece of silverware - adding to their League Cup success - in 2014-15 with two matches to spare.

Fallen Premier League champions City are set to finish eight points behind Chelsea, depending on final-round results over the weekend, after Arsenal were held to a goalless draw by lowly Sunderland on Wednesday.

And Desailly, who won the FA Cup and UEFA Super Cup during his six-year spell at Stamford Bridge, said the Portuguese boss would have led City to back-to-back titles.

"I do believe that the crucial mistakes that Pellegrini has made, Mourinho would not have made them," Desailly told The Mirror.

"Why? Because it is very simple. First, you secure your defensive block. Second, instead of Pellegrini dealing with the talent - trying to make everybody comfortable according to their skills and their capacities - you focus on the collective unit.

"The talent is there at City, from Fernandinho, Fernando, Yaya Toure. I've enjoyed watching City. But when you look at it Pellegrini could have been much harder on his squad.

"They have lacked collective discipline. He has a lot of great individual players, but he needed to build more collectively."

Wenger

Alfrescian
Loyal

Wenger: Arsenal did not look like scoring

arsene-wenger-fc-arsenal-sunderland-premier-league-20052015_9yegff3lbx8c129couyg2qt6b.jpg

By Tom Maston
May 20, 2015 23:53:00

The Gunners all but secured third place in the table against Sunderland but their boss feels they are lacking some confidence in front of goal

Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger has bemoaned his side's lack of cutting edge in front of goal as they again failed to find the net against Sunderland.

The Gunners have drawn a blank in their last three home matches, though the point against the Black Cats all but secured third place for the north London outfit after their draw with Manchester United on Sunday.

"We can say that we dominated possession but we lack a bit of sharpness at the moment in our movement and the way we take our chances," he told reporters at the Emirates Stadium.

"We were a bit jaded tonight. Also we haven’t scored in the last three games at home and that played a big part in our spontaneous finishing.

"You have to expect your opponent to play well. We are in a strong position to finish in the top three, so let's do it.

"We didn’t look like scoring, honestly. Even if we had 20 shots on goal, there was always something missing. We needed something special to score tonight and they defended very well. There was always a body there, particularly [Sebastian] Coates and [John] O’Shea from crosses.

"The point we took at Manchester United on Sunday was vital. If we’d lost that game, we would be in

Rodgers

Alfrescian
Loyal

Henry: Sterling risks destroying his career

raheem-sterling-liverpool-premier-league-16052015_1f5imkn3nrhq1551j3cy45yn4.jpg

By Tom Maston
May 21, 2015 00:21:00

The former France international believes the bad advice the winger is getting has led to him disrespecting Liverpool's supporters

Former Arsenal forward Thierry Henry has warned Raheem Sterling that he risks destroying his career if he continues to wage a public war with Liverpool.

Goal understands Sterling will tell the Reds he wishes to leave the club this week having previously revealed he turned down a contract offer of €140,000 a week.

The winger's agent Aidy Ward has played down reports of his client's unhappiness, but did confirm talks are planned.

However, Henry feels Ward is badly advising Sterling and believes his conduct is disrespectful to Liverpool supporters.

"I think we all know that he's been receiving some bad advice," he told Sky Sports.

"You can't go out there and talk about your contract in the press. You have to respect your fans, respect the club that you play for.

"If you want to leave Liverpool or not, when you make the decision about leaving or staying, then do it. Don't discuss yourself in the paper.

"To an extent you can blame the agent, advisor, whatever you want to call them now [but] you need to be a man about it.

"You need to be able to say, 'Enough, you're destroying my life, you're destroying my career.'"

Sterling has been linked with a number of clubs, including Manchester City, Manchester United and Arsenal.

Henry admitted he would be happy to see Sterling move back to London and ply his trade for the Gunners.

"He's a great product for Liverpool and he's going to be a great product for England. I would be more than happy to see him play for Arsenal but he's still a Liverpool player," said the Frenchman.

"We all know he's a Londoner, and we know Arsene [Wenger] is interested in him."

Pochettino

Alfrescian
Loyal

Gomes: Tottenham have ruined Soldado & Lamela's careers

1289162_heroa.jpg

May 20, 2015 12:13:00

The goalkeeper has launched a stunning attack on his former side, claiming the club have destroyed the confidence of their most high-profile signings

Heurelho Gomes has launched an astonishing attack on his former club Tottenham, claiming they are responsible for ruining the careers of Roberto Soldado and Erik Lamela.

Gomes, 34, spent six years on the books at White Hart Lane but claims he would advise any player against moving to the north London club.

A change of management in the summer has failed to kick-start the Premier League careers of record signings Lamela and Soldado, who cost Tottenham a combined total of just over £50 million (€70m).

"It’s the club [who are to blame]. Certainly, I would not recommend to anyone [to join Spurs]," Gomes, who will return to the Premier League next season with Watford, told ESPN.

"They paid £28 million (€40m) for Soldado, and they don't play him. Or look at Lamela, who was a great prospect in Europe, but today you watch Tottenham games and he looks like he can't play football at all."