• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

☆ Barclays Premier League Season 2014-15 ☆

FALCA0

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Lucas keen for Liverpool return

1 April 2015 12:38

820580header.jpg

Liverpool midfielder Lucas Leiva is itching to make his return against Arsenal on Saturday after nearly two months on the sidelines with a groin injury.

The Brazilian has not featured since limping off in February's Merseyside derby against Everton, which finished 0-0.

Lucas was back on the bench for Liverpool's 2-1 defeat to rivals Manchester United before the international break and played 90 minutes in an All-Star charity match at Anfield last weekend.

And he is keen to feature for Brendan Rodgers' side at the Emirates Stadium as Liverpool attempt to cut the gap to the Premier League's top four.

"I feel great," Lucas told Liverpool's official website. "Leading up to the Manchester United game I had a full week of training as well, so it's been two weeks of full training.

"I was available for the Manchester United game, but probably wasn't able to play the whole game. Now I feel 100 per cent.

"Now it's just a question of getting some minutes and training sessions, so that's what I need and what I'm having.

"Leading into the Arsenal game that's going to be good because I will have had three full weeks of training and I'm looking forward to it."

Willian

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Elliott unsure over Carver future

1 April 2015 13:19

820592header.jpg

Newcastle United would benefit from a change of manager in the close-season as opposed to sticking with John Carver, according to former defender Robbie Elliott.

Carver was appointed until the end of the season in January after former boss Alan Pardew left for Crystal Palace.

But with Newcastle stuttering towards the end of another mid-table campaign, Elliott has urged owner Mike Ashley to bring a fresh face into the dugout.

"I think it's easier for Ashley to keep John in the role but I don't know if that's the right thing for the club," Elliott told Perform.

"I feel we need a clean break and it's a very difficult role. Look at the managers we've had over the years - how successful they have been at other clubs, then they come to Newcastle.

"You'd like to think it'd be a job that interests a lot of people because of the possibilities.

"It might need a change of structure with how the owner wants to do it, that may prove a stumbling block, but it's going to be a big summer and I think that will dictate a lot of whether players stay or go and who comes in."

Newcastle released their accounts for 2013-14 this week, which showed a record annual profit of £18.7million.

Ashley has been criticised for a perceived lack of investment in players, with Elliott suggesting the upcoming close-season period could be pivotal for the club.

"You can say this is a strange season but I think this is how the last few have panned out," he added.

"Obviously questions are being asked about upstairs and the investment but it's down to the players and the staff to basically get on with it.

"It's been very up and down. There's always something going on at the club. When it's quiet you're just waiting for the next thing to happen.

"We've got an opportunity to hopefully have a good end to the season, players are playing for contracts and their futures really.

"It's an important time for the club."

DiMaria

Alfrescian
Loyal

West Ham set to welcome Reid back for Leicester

1 April 2015 16:41

820704header.jpg

West Ham are set to welcome Winston Reid back into their squad to face Leicester City on Saturday.

The New Zealand international, who penned a new six-and-a-half-year deal at Upton Park last month, has not played since limping out of the 1-0 defeat to Premier League leaders Chelsea on March 4 with a hamstring injury.

However, the centre-back has returned to training and is in contention to face bottom club Leicester at the King Power Stadium.

"Following the hamstring injury he suffered against Chelsea on 4 March, Winston Reid is fit and is training hard to be ready for Saturday's Barclays Premier League fixture at Leicester City," read a statement from West Ham's head of medical and sports science Stijn Vandenbroucke on the club's official website.

Forward Enner Valencia may also travel after recovering from a toe laceration.

Elsewhere, striker Andy Carroll has taken a significant step in his rehabilitation from a medial knee ligament injury sustained against Southampton in February.

The former Liverpool man is no longer using crutches and has had his knee brace taken off, while also starting recovery work in the gym.

"I'm feeling alright. It's a lot better, getting off the crutches, out of the brace and being able to move more on the bike and do some work in the pool," he said.

"It's good to come in to work at the training ground and see the lads too. If you're working away from the club you might not see them for a while, but it's nice to come in in the mornings and have breakfast and lunch with them."

Rodgers

Alfrescian
Loyal

Sterling: I´m not a money-grabber

1 April 2015 17:29

820725header.jpg

Liverpool forward Raheem Sterling says the lack of an agreement with the club over his new contract does not make him a money-grabber.

The England international's current deal expires at the end of next season, with manager Brendan Rodgers recently confirming that negotiations were to be shelved until the end of the current campaign.

While Rodgers maintains this is to allow Sterling to focus on his football, the 20-year-old's perceived refusal to put pen to paper has attracted criticism from certain quarters.

Sterling has previously spoken of his desire to stay at the club, where he has shot to prominence since making his debut in 2012.

And he told BBC Sport on Wednesday: "I don't want to be perceived as a money-grabbing 20-year-old.

"I just want to be seen as the kid that loves to play football."

Filipe

Alfrescian
Loyal

Smalling injured during England's clash with Italy

416709_heroa.jpg

By Gill Clark
Mar 31, 2015 20:35:00

The Manchester United defender was forced off for the Three Lions shortly before half-time and may now be a doubt for Saturday's Premier League clash with Aston Villa

Manchester United defender Chris Smalling had to be substituted after feeling unwell during the first half of England's international friendly with Italy in Turin.

The centre-back was named in Roy Hodgson's starting line-up for the game, partnering Phil Jagielka at the heart of the England defence.

However, Smalling lasted just 41 minutes before being forced out of the game with Michael Carrick coming on and taking up a midfield role with Phil Jones moving back into defence.

Graziano Pelle had given Italy the lead in the game, heading the hosts in front after 29 minutes while Wayne Rooney was unlucky not to add to his tally after hitting the woodwork in the first half.

Hazard

Alfrescian
Loyal

Diaby & Wilshere step up Arsenal comeback

wenger-on-wilshere_1fbb332dy1k5w1d7htedfkasmh.jpg

By Jay Jaffa
Mar 31, 2015 18:25:00

Mikel Arteta also joined the injury-prone duo in returning to action in a friendly at the club's training ground as they stepped up their recovery from respective injuries

Arsenal midfielders Abou Diaby, Jack Wilshere and Mikel Arteta stepped up their comebacks from injury in a behind-closed-doors game against Brentford on Tuesday.

Played at the Gunners' London Colney training base, an Arsenal XI also including Mathieu Debuchy saw off their visitors 4-0 ahead of Sunday's Premier League clash with Liverpool.

Wilshere opened the scoring and went on to tee up Dan Crowley for the second before Alex Iwobi netted twice in a dominant first half.

January signing Krystian Bielik was also selected to start and completed 66 minutes alongside Mathieu Flamini. Diaby, Wilshere and Arteta were all replaced at half-time, while Debuchy completed an hour of football.

Willian

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

1190362_thumb.jpg

Burnley 0-0 Tottenham: Captain Kane kept quiet as Spurs drop points in top-four chase
Mauricio Pochettino's men find themselves seven points adrift of fourth-placed Manchester City after an uninspired showing against organised and spirited opponents

1186562_thumb.jpg

Chelsea 2-1 Stoke City: Remy to the rescue after Adam stunner & Costa injury
The Frenchman netted just after the hour mark to give Jose Mourinho's men a vital victory over the Potters at Stamford Bridge, despite the Scot's remarkable long-range strike

1184222_thumb.jpg

West Brom 1-4 QPR: Vital win for relegation-threatened Rs
Chris Ramsey's men struck three times in the first half at the Hawthorns to leave Tony Pulis's men, who later had Youssouf Mulumbu, too far on the back foot to recover

1184362_thumb.jpg

Swansea City 3-1 Hull City: Bruce's men slip closer to relegation zone
The Tigers are now only three points away from the drop after QPR's win at West Brom, having pulled a goal back on the Swans before David Meyler was shown a straight red

1185112_thumb.jpg

Everton 1-0 Southampton: Jagielka dents Saints' European ambitions
Ronald Koeman's men missed the chance to leapfrog Liverpool in the Premier League table after slipping to a narrow defeat at Goodison Park

1184792_thumb.jpg

Manchester United 3-1 Aston Villa: Herrera double sends Van Gaal's men eight points clear of Liverpool
The Red Devils' Champions League hopes look more solid than ever as they brushed aside the Villans at Old Trafford, the Spanish midfielder scoring at the end of each half

1185692_thumb.jpg

Leicester 2-1 West Ham: Late King winner boosts survival hopes
Nigel Pearson's side picked up their first Premier League win since January as they move to within four points of safety with eight games left to play

1183302_thumb.jpg

Arsenal 4-1 Liverpool: Rampant Gunners leave 10-man Reds' Champions League hopes in tatters
Three goals in the space of nine minutes just before half-time put the hosts clear in front at the Emirates Stadium, the Reds having Emre Can sent off after a consolation panelty

Pellegrini

Alfrescian
Loyal

Man City must win every game now - Pellegrini

1001742_heroa.jpg

By Alex McMahon
Apr 5, 2015 12:48:00

The Chilean has claimed that his side need to win their remaining eight matches if they are to give themselves a chance of retaining the Premier League this year

Manuel Pellegrini has urged his Manchester City side to win their remaining eight matches if they are to stand a chance of beating Chelsea to the Premier League title.

The 61-year-old remains positive that they can still win back-to-back titles, as long as they don't drop any points between now and the end of the season.

But the Chilean, whose side travel to Alan Pardew's Crystal Palace side on Monday, insisted that they must remain focused on the next game rather than looking too far ahead.

“We have a lot of work to do,” said the City boss.

“We need to win the next eight games.

“Is that realistic? Well, it’s always realistic to win the next game. You must focus on that and the next game is Crystal Palace.

“I think that when you have a mathematical chance to win it, you must always think you can do it.

“You must not think the other team has lost or dropped points.”

“I think maybe for this club, trying to be a big team in so few years, maybe we are paying the cost of that. This team in the last four years has won two titles and were runners-up in one year.

“This season when we were the team that spent less money than another English team we are runners-up. That is the weird thing.”

Ramsey

Alfrescian
Loyal

Pardew: I could manage better than Premier League's top bosses

alan-pardew-cropped_1m0u7vpleqvxp1w9nqtb136z76.jpg

By Peter Marshall
Apr 5, 2015 15:31:00

As his side prepare to host Manchester City on Monday, the Crystal Palace boss claims he could improve several of the divisions top clubs if appointed

Crystal Palace boss Alan Pardew feels that English managers are being unfairly overlooked by the Premier League's biggest clubs, and insists he could do a better job than those at the top of the table.

The former Newcastle boss has masterminded a resurgence in Palace's fortunes since taking charge in January, winning six of the 10 league games he has overseen to pull them clear of relegation danger.

Next up for Pardew is a clash with Manchester City, who make the trip to London on Monday knowing only a win is likely to be enough to keep their title challenge alive.

But ahead of that test against Manuel Pellegrini's defending champions, Pardew has bullishly talked up his own abilities - insisting he could achieve success with a top side.

He has, however, made it clear that for now he is happy with the prospect of building for the future at Selhurst Park.

Asked by BBC Sport on his thoughts on whether an English manager would be in the frame for a job at a leading Premier League club if one became available, Pardew said: "I think English managers are underestimated, to be honest.

"I look at the top clubs and think I could do that job better than I see it being done. But I am happy where I am and if I work in this part of the league for the rest of my career I will be extremely happy."

Pochettino

Alfrescian
Loyal

Pochettino: Spurs top four hopes fading fast

michael-duff-burnley-christian-eriksen-tottenham_1decyfdpaxihz1p7zxeqh4f3nv.jpg

By Robert Pollard
Apr 5, 2015 18:19:00

The north Londoners were deservedly held to a goalless draw by Sean Dyche's spirited and organised Burnley at Turf Moor and now lie seven points behind fourth

Mauricio Pochettino admits Tottenham's Champions League qualification hopes are hanging by a thread after Sunday's goalless draw against Burnley.

Spurs are now seven points behind fourth-placed Manchester City having played a game more and, with just seven matches of the season left to play, it seems unlikely they will make it back into Europe’s elite club competition.

Tottenham have not played Champions League football since the 2010-11 season when they reached the quarter-finals, memorably beating Inter and AC Milan along the way.

“I think it is difficult to qualify but we have seven games, we will try,” Pochettino told reporters after his side’s uninspired display. “It is true that it is not easy.”

City travel to Crystal Palace on Monday evening and a win for Manuel Pellegrini’s side would leave Spurs eight points adrift of qualification.

Asked how many points his side need from their remaining fixtures to have any chance of finishing fourth, Pochettino repied: “It is difficult to know that. We need to try to win the next game. This game was difficult, a very tough game. We need to try to win the most points possible in the next seven games.”

Tottenham were somewhat fortunate to escape with a point after a performance lacking energy and creativity. Burnley were the better side and created more opportunities, with Michel Vorm, the Spurs goalkeeper, producing a couple of good saves from Danny Ings to keep his side in it.

“They are a very aggressive team and run a lot,” Pochettino added. “It is difficult to find space to play. We played better in the second half and we made some chances but it was not enough to score. But we try. It was a very difficult game. Three weeks ago Manchester City lost here. It is not an excuse but it is a very, very difficult team.”

FALCA0

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Van Gaal: Man Utd's top four spot not secure

louis-van-gaal-manchester-united-aston-villa-04042015_6qiuwnr3e5zl13jsom5ut7evr.jpg

By Tom Maston at Old Trafford
Apr 4, 2015 20:24:00

The Red Devils moved eight points clear of Liverpool with victory over Aston Villa but the Dutch coach is wary of upcoming matches against major rivals

Manchester United manager Louis van Gaal does not believe his side have yet secured their place in next season's Champions League.

The Red Devils moved eight points clear of fifth-placed Liverpool with victory over Aston Villa at Old Trafford as they look to return to Europe's elite club competition having missed out last season.

But former Barcelona coach Van Gaal feels his side cannot be sure of their place in the top four due to having to face Chelsea, Arsenal and Manchester City before the end of the campaign, though he admits his side could yet challenge for the title.

"We still have to play against the other three teams in the top four of the league," he told reporters. "It’s not done yet but of course we have made a big gap so we can suffer a defeat.

"I’m looking higher up and then we have to win every week. Everything is possible. Liverpool are eight points behind us and we are more than eight behind Chelsea.

"Normally it is not likely we are champions but we are giving Chelsea pressure. Normally Chelsea would be champions."

The Red Devils were forced to be patient for much of their encounter against Tim Sherwood's side, with two goals from Ander Herrera and a superb Wayne Rooney strike securing the three points.

And Van Gaal conceded he was pleased that his side were able to pick up their fifth-straight victory despite not being at their best against a well organised Villa outfit.

"Before this match I was afraid because there was an international break. But we are in good shape and the confidence has risen, and then you play against a very defensive organisation.

"In attack it is not easy. You have to focus and concentrate yourself much more. It is not so easy to create many chances and score goals.

"In the end it was 3-1. In the first half we conceded no chances and in the second half, one chance and one goal, and that was a lucky goal.

"I’m very pleased with the result. I know the performance could be better but we won and that’s the most important thing."

DiMaria

Alfrescian
Loyal

In-form Fellaini can't be dropped, says Van Gaal

961332_heroa.jpg

Apr 3, 2015 15:45:00

The Belgian has improved hugely in recent months, continuing his fine form for the national team, and his manager believes he brings the "balance" Manchester United crave

Louis van Gaal says he cannot drop Marouane Fellaini from the Manchester United team because of his excellent form, admitting he is one of the first names on the team sheet.

The Belgium international struggled for game time initially under the Dutchman, and was heavily criticised for his performances under David Moyes, but has improved in recent months.

Van Gaal now says the former Everton midfielder helps bring balance to the side and his strong form makes Fellaini virtually undroppable.

“I can’t leave Fellaini out when he’s playing like this,” the Dutchman told reporters ahead of the visit of Aston Villa on Saturday.

“I didn't know him at first. Of course I had heard a lot of stories about him, but from the very first session he did what I asked. He was open and wants to perform.

“I am not surprised by his improvement. He had, I think, an unlucky season because he was injured a lot.

“He can give a lot of balance in the team, but of course I can change his role depending on the qualities of the opponent.”

Fellaini netted twice for Belgium in their Euro 2016 qualifier against Cyprus and Van Gaal was delighted to see so many of his stars performing well for their national teams, with Wayne Rooney and Michael Carrick also starring for England.

"When I saw my players performing for their countries, I was very pleased," the Dutchman continued. "Every match they play can give them confidence."

Meanwhile, the United manager revealed that Robin van Persie is yet to resume full training and will not be available against Aston Villa at the weekend, while Chris Smalling is also ill.

JoseMourinho

Alfrescian
Loyal

Mourinho: Surgery a last resort for Diego Costa

josemourinho-cropped_zghum1d8pr0p1oyw53lx7e22z.jpg

By Alex Fisher
Apr 3, 2015 16:10:00

The Chelsea boss insists the club will persist with training and recovery in a bid to manage the fitness of the 26-year-old, who withdrew from the latest Spain squad

Chelsea will only turn to surgery to fix Diego Costa's troublesome hamstring as a last resort, insists boss Jose Mourinho.

Costa has been plagued by the problem for over a year and has had to be closely monitored by the Premier League leaders to keep him on the pitch.

The striker was forced to withdraw from the Spain squad last week as the problem flared up again but Mourinho is confident they can manage and improve the situation going forward.

"He will continue to work the way he does to prevent it, to make the muscle stronger but still elastic and flexible," said Mourinho.

"We don't believe in operations, I always believe it is the last decision for every injury, we try to be conservative, to train, recover and work, we don't believe will go the surgery direction.

"Diego trained yesterday and today, he's not injured. I don't know if I will start with him or not because with a muscular injury you need to analyse situation with him.

"He has had no days off and has been working hard. We did all the tests to confirm two days ago that the muscle is fine, now he needs confidence that it won't break and he is free to express himself at the maximum intensity."

Meanwhile, Mourinho believes four teams are still contesting the title and has his sights firmly set on the 86 points they need to finish as champions.

"Given the points difference you have to say four teams are in the running," he added. "It makes me feel they are all there.

"We need six victories and one draw in nine matches so it's a good situation for us, it is a situation all the other clubs would like to be in.

"But I am not thinking about how or when it happens. I don't care where we win it, if it's in hotel, away or at home, I just want to win it."

Aguero

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Zaha: Man Utd made me feel worthless

wilfried-zaha-crystal-palace-burnley-premier-league-13092014_1bggkvy99gsqtz68el2dki1dr.jpg

By Chris Davie
Apr 5, 2015 16:38:00

The 22-year-old was Sir Alex Ferguson's final signing but made only three first-team appearances during his time at Old Trafford

Wilfried Zaha admits he felt “worthless” during his time at Manchester United and believes he lost respect by constantly sitting in the stands at Old Trafford.

The 22-year-old was Sir Alex Ferguson’s final signing at United, joining in a £15 million deal from Crystal Palace.

But following the arrival of David Moyes as Ferguson’s successor, Zaha failed to secure a regular first-team place and made just three first-team appearances before joining Cardiff City on loan during last year’s January transfer window.

“There is nothing worse than not being involved,” Zaha told the Daily Telegraph.

‘You are sitting there thinking ‘what exactly am I? A footballer who is not playing football?’ You feel a bit worthless sitting in the stands, watching all the time. You have nothing to speak about with the players.

“If you have played the game then it’s ‘well done’ or ‘you should have passed here or there’. But when you haven’t played, I think people lose a bit of respect for you. I think they are thinking ‘well, he’s not played’. They don’t have anything to speak to you about. It’s a big thing.

“And I’m frustrated when I am not playing. My family is frustrated. My friends are frustrated.

“It was difficult when it came to a game at United and they were asking me for tickets and asking ‘are you playing?’ and that used to cut deep because I would think: ‘I can’t just invite my family’ because I had that doubt in my head as to whether I was even going to be in the squad.

“They would come to United and I would be in the stands. Now I am just able to say ‘here’s tickets. I am starting the game’. I am happy again.”

Zaha returned to Old Trafford last summer but after failing to come off the bench in the 4-0 defeat to MK Dons in the League Cup in August, the midfielder was keen to secure his return to Crystal Palace.

“I went down there and didn’t play at all,” said Zaha.

“There were reserves who came on and I thought 'I can’t just sit here and not be given a chance’. I had worked so hard to get there and hadn’t been told why I wasn’t playing.

“Eventually I spoke to Louis van Gaal and he said that right now I wasn’t good enough to get into the first team and I put my hands up and thought ‘no problem, I will go on loan’. I’d rather he told me. Before that it was just rumours and here was a straight answer. I appreciated that and so I came back to Palace.”

Rodgers

Alfrescian
Loyal

Henderson: We won't give up on top four finish

jordanhenderson-cropped_18txctsb6b28q1q6a4e7ik8ep8.jpg

By Nicholas McGee
Apr 5, 2015 12:18:00

The Liverpool vice-captain has insisted that they will not give up in the battle to finish in the Champions League places, although the task is becoming increasingly difficult

Jordan Henderson insists Liverpool will not give up the chase for a place in the top four despite Saturday's 4-1 Premier League defeat to Arsenal.

Having been beaten by Manchester United before the international break, Liverpool slipped to a second successive league defeat to one of their closest rivals, as three goals in eight minutes before half-time effectively gave Arsenal the points.

That blitz came after Liverpool had missed multiple chances and, although Henderson pulled one back from the penalty spot in the second half, Arsenal cruised to victory, adding a late fourth through Olivier Giroud after Emre Can had been sent off.

The Merseyside club now sit seven points adrift of the top four with as many games remaining, leaving their Champions League ambitions hanging by a thread - although Henderson is not about to accept they are out of the race.

"To concede three goals in such a short space of time is not good enough," the England midfielder told Liverpool's official website. "Our one-v-one defending needs to be better.

"I'm sure we'll work on that in training. We've just got to be a little bit more aggressive defensively, and then also in the final third be more ruthless.

"We knew finishing in the top four was going to be difficult even before we came here, but it makes it even more difficult.

"That doesn't mean we'll just give up. We've got seven games left now and we need to try and win every one. If we do that, then you never know."

Wenger

Alfrescian
Loyal

Van Gaal: I kissed Herrera at half-time

461884_heroa.jpg

By Alex McMahon
Apr 5, 2015 08:49:00

The 63-year-old was ecstatic after Manchester United's win over Aston Villa, and revealed he was particularly happy with the Spaniard after he took his advice on board

Manchester United boss Louis Van Gaal revealed that he kissed Ander Herrera at half-time during his side's 3-1 victory over Aston Villa on Saturday.

The Spaniard scored a goal either side of the interval, as the 13-time Premier League champions won their fifth league game in a row.

And the 63-year-old claimed that he kissed the Spaniard at half-time, after suggesting in training that he should control the ball before pulling the trigger.

Van Gaal told MUTV: "He has a very good kicking technique and he should be more composed.

"I said to him 'you have to control the ball before you shoot'.

"I said that to him again in yesterday's training session, and then I kissed him at half-time because he had controlled the ball for the first time in his life and then he shot!

"But then I came to him after the second-half and he said 'without control I can do it also!'"

United leapfrogged rivals Manchester City, who they play Crystal Palace on Monday, into third and put eight points between them and fifth-place.

Hazard

Alfrescian
Loyal

Diego Costa out for at least a couple of weeks - Mourinho

1186552_heroa.jpg

Apr 4, 2015 20:55:00

The Spaniard lasted just 10 minutes before limping off after coming on as a substitute against the the Potters at Stamford Bridge

Chelsea manager Jose Mourinho says Diego Costa will be out for "a couple of weeks minimum" after he limped out of the Blues' 2-1 win over Stoke with a recurrence of a hamstring injury.

The Spain international began the game on the bench but lasted just 10 minutes after arriving as a half-time substitute, having aggravated a long-standing problem.

When asked how long he expected the striker to be sidelined for, Mourinho told Sky Sports: "I don't know but for sure, muscular injury, a couple of weeks minimum. But lets see what happens.

"To be fair, the important [thing] is the three points today."

Mourinho conceded in the run-up to the fixture that Costa was not a certain starter, and the Portuguese admits that he took a risk in sending the 26-year-old into the fray, while confirming that goalscorer Loic Remy will continue in the starting XI against QPR next week.

"You have to risk, and the medical department risked a little bit, but the truth is that in all the scans they did two days ago - not even yesterday - two days ago, the muscle was clean, the image was completely clean, and the player trained twice," he added.

"He trained twice 100 per cent, where he did much more in training that he did today. He did much more in training than today.

"He shot lots of times, we put him in dozens and dozens of specific actions in the game and the response was very good. We decided to protect and if the result was two or three-nil he wouldn't play and we would give him one more week.

"But we risk. My medical department is fantastic and they do fantastic things for us during the whole season, so no problem, and next weekend Remy plays, then Drogba plays while we will wait for Diego again."

Pellegrini

Alfrescian
Loyal

Yaya Toure set for crunch Manchester City talks

yaya-toure-manchester-city_ni6ka4krwj7816dvai1tajcz5.jpg

Apr 4, 2015 22:15:00

The 32-year-old's representatives will meet with club officials to discuss the player's future, with Inter maintaining a firm interest in the Ivory Coast international

By Scott Loney

Yaya Toure is set for crunch talks over his Manchester City future, Goal can reveal.

Toure's advisers have pencilled in plans to speak to City CEO Ferran Soriano and director of football Txiki Begiristain, with question marks surrounding his future.

Toure, who has two years remaining on his current contract, is keen to stay at the Etihad Stadium and would be open to signing a new deal, with a view to taking up an ambassadorial role in the future.

But at 32-years-old and with a basic wage of £200,000-a-week before bonuses, the midfielder is realistic regarding the prospect of an extension.

Inter remain the club most interested in signing Toure, with former City boss Roberto Mancini publicly declaring his admiration for the Ivory Coast international a number of times since moving to San Siro earlier this season.

Toure is understood to be open to a move to Inter and is willing to drop his wage demands to around £150,000-a-week.

Both City and Toure's camp are hopeful of an amicable parting of the ways should the midfielder leave the club this summer.

Toure voiced his disappointment with City officials last summer after they failed to acknowledge his birthday and he was denied time off to be by the bedside of his brother, Ibrahim, who died of cancer in 2014.

The club is mindful of the incident and does not want to tarnish the reputation of a player who has helped them to win two Premier League titles, an FA Cup and a League Cup since moving to the Etihad in 2010.

Toure has featured 31 times in all competitions for City this season, scoring nine goals, and was a part of the Ivory Coast side that won the Africa Cup of Nations during the winter.

Filipe

Alfrescian
Loyal

City worried by United form - Van Gaal

6 April 2015

823073header.jpg

Louis van Gaal believes Manchester City are worried by Manchester United's form heading into next week's blockbuster derby.

United welcome rivals City to Old Trafford on Sunday with both teams vying for second spot behind Premier League leaders Chelsea.

Van Gaal's United have won their past five league fixtures to climb into third, one point above City, who are due to play Crystal Palace on Monday.

And the Dutchman said confidence is sky-high in the United dressing room as they look to build on wins against Liverpool and Tottenham.

"Of course form plays a part in the spirit of our opponents and also our players," Van Gaal said.

"We have more confidence now and when they lose a point then it's also sitting in their minds. Maybe it plays a role but that is dependable on the individual player and I don't know the individual players of Manchester City so well.

"But we have a lot of confidence and we haven't lost so many times at home."

United have lost their last three fixtures at home to City, conceding 11 goals, while Manuel Pellegrini's men claimed a 1-0 victory in the most recent meeting at Etihad Stadium in November.

Sergio Aguero scored the winner that day but a lot has changed this since then, with United seemingly more settled under Van Gaal five months on.

"It was another Manchester United, I believe," he said.

"That was more in the start of the process and now we are in the end of the process. Now we have developed the team.

"I think also the confidence of our players is very high at the moment but also our performances show that so it's not the same Manchester United."