• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

☆ Barclays Premier League Season 2014-15 ☆

FALCA0

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Van Gaal explains Di Maria decision

28 February 2015

796689header.jpg

Manchester United star Angel Di Maria is struggling for confidence after being substituted against Sunderland, says Louis van Gaal.

Manchester United manager Louis van Gaal suggested Angel Di Maria is low on confidence following his side's laboured 2-0 win over Sunderland.

United got their push for UEFA Champions League qualification back on track, having lost 2-1 at Swansea City last time out, thanks to a second-half brace from Wayne Rooney.

The turnaround was arguably prompted by Van Gaal's decision to replace the ineffective Di Maria with Adnan Januzaj at half-time.

"I want to win as a manager - I have to observe and analyse and I have to then make the steps that are necessary to win," said Van Gaal when discussing the substitution at his post-match press conference.

"I thought I had to change Angel for Januzaj and we were then better in the second half so I cannot say it was the wrong decision.

"The difficulty, not only with Angel, is players have to adapt to the Premier League.

"I have explained already that the rhythm of the game here is so high - it is much higher than in other countries.

"He has to adapt to the culture so we have to give him time to adapt and also to lift his confidence again. That's also important.

"He is a human being like me and like you and you can make mistakes. He is a top player so he shall overcome this period, I hope."

Van Gaal felt his team wore the scars of the Swansea loss during the opening stages against Sunderland before turning in a satisfactory display.

"I think we started not so good - the first quarter of the game [we were] very nervous, maybe because of the loss against Swansea City," the Dutchman added.

"But after that first quarter we came into the match. We created chances and we didn't give any more chances away.

"In the second half I think we played very well. We switched the play via the wings, we created a lot of chances and we scored goals."

Pellegrini

Alfrescian
Loyal

Pellegrini: Liverpool defeat damages Manchester City title bid

1023372_heroa.jpg

By Alex Fisher
Mar 1, 2015 16:22:00

Defeat at Anfield leaves the reigning Premier League champions five points behind Premier League leaders Chelsea having played one game more

Manchester City manager Manuel Pellegrini has acknowledged his side now face an uphill challenge to retain their Premier League title after Sunday's defeat to Liverpool.

Goals from Jordan Henderson and Philippe Coutinho either side of Edin Dzeko's 50th Premier League strike won it for the hosts, leaving City five points behind leaders Chelsea, having played a game more.

"It is three points less with one game less," Pellegrini conceded to Sky Sports. "Of course it is difficult to reach the top of the table if you lose three points.

"But we must keep going and try to return to our normal performance and see where it takes us."

The Chilean cited mistakes in possession as the main factor in City's downfall, something he realises they need to address if they are to catch Jose Mourinho's side.

"It was a close game but Liverpool won because they scored two beautiful goals," he observed. "But in the first half we lost too many balls, especially in the first 15 minutes.

"After that we equalised and then hit the post through Aguero but, in the second half, we didn't arrive in their box so we tried to change our style of play.

"I'm concerned that we are losing the ball too much - pressure is a factor. There is much we must analyse to improve."

Rodgers

Alfrescian
Loyal

Rodgers tips hat to relentless Liverpool

1 March 2015

796984header.jpg

Liverpool's impressive victory over Manchester City earned the praise of boss Brendan Rodgers after their UEFA Europa League disappointment.

Brendan Rodgers hailed the performance of his players after Liverpool put their midweek disappointment behind them to beat Manchester City 2-1 in the Premier League.

Defeat to Besiktas in the UEFA Europa League on Thursday meant Rodgers' squad were not back in England until early on Friday, limiting their preparation time for Sunday's Premier League clash.

But tiredness did not impact the hosts as stunning strikes from Jordan Henderson and Philippe Coutinho lit up Anfield on Sunday.

"I have to take my hat off to my players," Rodgers told Sky Sports. "To get back at half four in the early hours of Friday morning - by the time they got to bed it was six, and they had to sleep all of Friday.

"We then did some light work yesterday, but to come out and play like they did, they were relentless.

"They restricted a top team to just one shot on target and deserve all the praise they will get.

"The character of this team was questioned at the beginning of this season, but we were just trying to find a rhythm and balance to the team, with little time and lots of new players. It hasn't just happened; they have worked hard, and believed in how they were working."

Victory keeps Liverpool firmly in the hunt for a top-four finish, with their unbeaten league run now standing at 11 games, but Rodgers is not getting carried away ahead of Wednesday's visit of Burnley.

"We just need to concentrate on Burnley now," he added. "Since November our points and performance levels have been very good.

"I believe if we get into the top four it will be a better achievement than doing it last season, but we have got to keep our focus and concentration."

Abramovich

Alfrescian
Loyal

Coutinho worth big money - Rodgers

1022972_heroa.jpg

By George Ankers
Mar 1, 2015 14:31:00

The midfielder capped a marvellous performance against Manchester City on Sunday with a sensational winning goal, leading his manager to sing his praises

Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers says that Philippe Coutinho is now worth a "frightening amount of money" after his sensational winner in the 2-1 win over Manchester City.

The Brazilian has been in superb form in 2015 and ran the show on Sunday as the Reds moved up to fifth in the Premier League with a 2-1 victory against the defending champions.

His thunderous second-half finish confirmed the home side's dominance at Anfield, leading Rodgers to suggest his market value has increased significantly in recent months.

"Coutinho is a joy to watch," the Reds boss told reporters of the 22-year-old. "He's a kid who has so much ahead of him in the game. He's a sensational footballer.

"He is very selfless and very humble, always creates for others. He has wonderful body movement around the edge of the box.

"He's a star in the Premier League but there are improvements he can make. He's a young player, playing at club that adores him.

"We bought him in for €11.7 million [in January 2013] ... it's frightening to think what he'd be worth now."

Rodgers was delighted with the game as a whole, declaring: "It was a brilliant result and a brilliant performance. The players were relentless."

Willian

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Rooney: Di Maria will come good

2 March 2015

797301header.jpg

Manchester United captain Wayne Rooney has backed struggling team-mate Angel Di Maria to return to good form.

Wayne Rooney believes Angel Di Maria has a big part to play as Manchester United bid to qualify for the UEFA Champions League, despite the Argentina international's poor run of form.

Di Maria had a game to forget against Sunderland at Old Trafford on Saturday, substituted at half-time as United claimed a 2-0 victory.

After a bright start to life in the Premier League following his British record £59.7million transfer, the 27-year-old's form has dipped dramatically.

However, Rooney insists it is only a matter of time before Di Maria, who has three goals and eight assists this season, regains his confidence and helps United secure a top-four finish.

"He's a great player, he's shown that and you don't lose your talent overnight," Rooney said.

"Hopefully he'll get back to his best and start giving some great performances for us. He has a lot of experience and I think he'll figure it out – we all have to do that sometimes.

"There's nothing worse than when everyone keeps going on at you. You have to come to it in your own way and I'm sure he'll be a big player for us between now and the end of the season."

FALCA0

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Former Tottenham captain Dave Mackay dies aged 80

1031132_heroa.jpg

Mar 3, 2015 00:37:00

The north Londoners have paid tribute to the man George Best described as "the hardest man I have ever played against"

Tottenham have announced that former captain Dave Mackay has passed away at the age of 80.

The former Scotland international won the Double for Spurs in 1961 and also led Derby to the league title as manager.

Mackay won 22 caps for Scotland, scoring four times, and was once described by George Best as “hardest man I have ever played against and certainly the bravest”.

Mackay joined Spurs from Hearts, where he won the league and both cups and the north Londoners have paid tribute to their former skipper.

“We were saddened to hear of the death of our former captain Dave Mackay who passed away at the Queen’s Medical Centre, Nottingham, this evening [Monday 2 March]. He was 80,” it read.

“He was a superb player who possessed all the technique, passing ability and talent to be the complete footballer.

“He was the heart-beat of our 1961 ‘Double’ side, was then a key member of the team that retained the FA Cup the following season and, although injury kept him out of our 1963 European Cup Winners’ Cup final triumph, he had played a vital role in getting us there.

“He formed a marvellous midfield combination with Danny Blanchflower and, when the Northern Ireland international left us in 1964, Mackay took over as Spurs captain and led us to another FA Cup triumph in 1967. He twice broke the same leg in our cause but, each time, came back stronger than ever.”

TonyPulis

Alfrescian
Loyal

Sherwood: West Brom a good, little club but Aston Villa are massive

1029562_heroa.jpg

By Harry West
Mar 2, 2015 20:54:00

The former Tottenham manager is understood to have been close to taking charge at the Hawthorns before Tony Pulis was eventually appointed in January

Aston Villa boss Tim Sherwood says that he has no hard feelings towards West Brom after being overlooked by the Baggies when they were looking for a new coach earlier this season.

Sherwood took over at Villa in February and has thus far failed to improve the fortunes of the struggling Birmingham outfit, losing his first two Premier League games at the helm, against Stoke City and Newcastle.

The former Tottenham boss was reportedly set to take over at the Hawthorns in the close-season until talks broke down and he was in the running once again when Alan Irvine was sacked in December, only for Tony Pulis to be given the job.

"Is there any extra needle in this match for me? Not at all," Sherwood told the press ahead of Tuesday's meeting between the two sides at Villa Park.

"Good little club, isn't it? It just wasn't right for me and wasn't right for them. I am delighted to be at this massive club."

Villa lie 19th in the table, on a run of seven successive defeats and without a win in 12, since a 2-1 success over Leicester City on December 7.

"I think we are very unfortunate to have no points from the two games but that is where we find ourselves," Sherwood argued.

"All we are worried about is winning that first game. If we do that, it will take us out of the relegation zone and then we will never look back.

"Everyone believes there is still enough time. It is about getting that win as quickly as possible.

"We are not feeling sorry for ourselves. This game against West Brom is everything to us."

DiMaria

Alfrescian
Loyal

Van Gaal: I have no complaints with Di Maria

961112_heroa.jpg

Mar 3, 2015 14:45:00

The Argentine turned in a poor performance against Sunderland at the weekend and was substituted at half-time, but his manager insists he is adapting to life at Old Trafford

Louis van Gaal has spoken out in defence of Angel Di Maria, insisting the Manchester United attacker is on the road to adapting to the Premier League.

The Argentine was substituted at half-time against Sunderland on Saturday after a below-par display, with the Red Devils going on to win the match 2-0 in his absence thanks to a double from Wayne Rooney.

Van Gaal, though, believes it was just an off-day for the former Real Madrid star and is confident he will start to show his quality, beginning against Newcastle on Wednesday evening.

"Every player can have that kind of match – Di Maria is not the only player who has suffered a bad day," the Dutchman told MUTV.

"He can be the best player in the world in the next match, so I think everything is going well. He trained very well and I don’t think there is any problem.

"I have already explained that the higher rhythm of the Premier League is one of the most important aspects but he also has to adapt to a new culture, a new environment and that is not always easy.

"I think it counts for all the players that we have bought, the first season is always difficult. I have explained that in the press conference after the match and can see it in every player we have got. Shaw, Blind, Herrera, Falcao and also Di Maria.

"For me it is not a big surprise, it is more a big surprise when he adapts as quickly as possible. And also in the Netherlands or in Spain or in Germany I had the same experience with players, so we have to give him time, what I have already said, not only to Di Maria but all the players. We wait and see."

Di Maria's home was burgled earlier in the season and, according to reports, he subsequently moved into a hotel along with his wife and children.

Van Gaal, though, has played down the possibility that the break-in is still affecting the Argentine.

"It is easy to say that. I cannot prove that," he added. "It is not scientifically proven, and I don't want to speak about things that I cannot say."

But Van Gaal admits he can do little to improve Di Maria's performances, revealing that form is "dependant on the individual", but he expects the former Real Madrid winger to have fully adjusted to England's top-flight after 12 months.

"You have to manage so many aspects, and not only aspects of the game, of the match, but also of the culture in the country. You cannot give a general answer to that but the general answer is one year."

Aguero

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Rodgers: Sturridge will light up Liverpool when he's fully fit

1031552_heroa.jpg

By Sacha Pisani
Mar 3, 2015 12:55:00

The striker returned to action in January after numerous injury problems and his manager insists he will flourish when he finally regains full fitness

Daniel Sturridge will "light up" Liverpool's top-four bid once he returns to full fitness, according to manager Brendan Rodgers.

Sturridge returned from calf and ankle injuries at the end of January, and has been eased back into action, though he played 105 minutes in the Reds' penalty shoot-out defeat to Besiktas in the Europa League on Thursday.

The 25-year-old was then a 75th-minute substitute as his side defeated Manchester City just three days later and Rodgers insists Liverpool will be a force to be reckoned with once Sturridge is back to his best.

"Daniel is not fully fit yet and it is difficult for him because these are not training games for him to get fit," Rodgers said. "He's excited by the new system. Put a fully fit Daniel Sturridge into that system and he lights it up again.

"Come the end of this week Daniel will be on a great run and able to play every game and be able to train. He wasn't quite ready for the Premier League so then we were trying to fit him in games.

"The Europa League was a great chance to get some game time into him, but after five months out and with his history here that was something we had to think of.

"The last thing we wanted to do was break him. He felt good on Sunday on the back of playing Thursday. He's very determined to play and when you see a fully fit Daniel, he will be brilliant."

Willian

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Terry guaranteed to be a Chelsea player next season - Mourinho

1031832_heroa.jpg

By George Ankers
Mar 3, 2015 14:18:00

The Blues captain is keen to prolong his stay at Stamford Bridge and his manager is happy to offer him a new deal

Jose Mourinho "guarantees" that John Terry will be offered a new contract to remain at Chelsea next season.

The Blues skipper, out of contract at the end of the season, has yet to agree an extension and, after Sunday's League Cup final victory over Tottenham, spoke of his desire to remain at the west London club.

Terry has been crucial for Chelsea this term and Mourinho is desperate to avoid a repeat of last season's mistake, when Frank Lampard was not offered a new deal and ended up on loan at Manchester City from New York City FC, and has guaranteed that his captain will stay for at least another season.

"Terry is going to get his contract," the Portuguese told reporters. "What I can guarantee is that John Terry will be a Chelsea player next season. I can guarantee that."

Asked if his captain would be the hardest player in the squad to replace, Mourinho replied: "Every one of these big guys are difficult to replace but, at the same time, you still have the player and he is still an important player but you have to start thinking what next. That is the best way to do things.

"Sometimes you have the solution around the corner and sometimes you have to look outside your club but this is a process on which we can take our time because John is proving again this season that he is a player for years. When I came back last year he was coming from a difficult period but last year he was good and this year even better.

"He has time to improve his football with us and gives us time to think about what next.

"Before the end of the season it will be sorted for sure but what I can guarantee is he will be a Chelsea player next season because I know what my board tells me and the player tells me so no doubt he is going to get his contract."

In response to a suggestion that a deal was "agreed but not signed", Mourinho indicated: "I think it is like that."

Pellegrini

Alfrescian
Loyal

Pellegrini: Kompany dropped to refresh Manchester City

1040962_heroa.jpg

By Joe Hewison
Mar 5, 2015 00:12:00

The Premier League champions' captain has come under scrutiny after a series of below-par performances and had to settle for a place on the bench against Leicester City

Vincent Kompany was dropped for Manchester City's victory over Leicester City in order to "refresh" the side following consecutive defeats, Manuel Pellegrini explained.

The Belgian skipper looked shaky in defeat at Liverpool last weekend after a similarly uncertain show against Barcelona in the Champions League.

Martin Demichelis and Eliaquim Mangala comfortably shut out the Premier League's bottom club as goals from David Silva and James Milner kept the champions hanging to the coattails of leaders Chelsea.

Pablo Zabaleta also dropped to the bench, while Samir Nasri was excluded from the matchday squad altogether.

"I thought it was important today to refresh the team both mentally and physically after we played two difficult games," the Chilean told reporters.

"We didn't have the [results] that we wanted, so it was a good time to refresh the team. Whenever you do not get the results that you need, the next game is very difficult.

"That is why today the most important thing was to win the three points. It was important for our team to try and keep a clean sheet and dominate the game from the beginning."

Aguero

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Swansea allay Gomis fears after collapse

1039282_heroa.jpg

By Alex Young
Mar 4, 2015 23:08:00

The striker, who has a history of fainting during his career, collapsed near the halfway line after just seven minutes, but was conscious after being stretchered from the pitch

Swansea City manager Garry Monk has confirmed Bafetimbi Gomis is "fine" despite appearing to collapse off the ball after just seven minutes of Wednesday's Premier League game with Tottenham.

The incident, which occured just after Nacer Chadli had given Spurs a seventh-minute lead, sparked a hush around White Hart Lane as medical stuff rushed onto the pitch to give Gomis urgent attention.

The striker was eventually loaded onto a stretcher and carried down the tunnel with an oxygen mask attached to his face.

Gomis appeared to be conscious at this point and was given a round of applause by all four sides of the stadium.

Monk later confirmed that the striker had recovered and had been sent to hospital for precautionary reasons, telling Sky Sports: "Bafi's fine, that's the main thing.

"Coming off the pitch he was fine, no problems whatsoever. I think he just has a little bit of low blood pressure which obviously causes you a little bit of problems.

"I think it's more scary looking than it actually is physically for him. He was fine coming off the pitch. That's the main thing.

"It's been part of his life. We were well aware of that when we signed Bafi and he's done all the hospital checks and all the medical checks you could possibly do and it's just part of his life.

"But it's not as serious as it looks and Bafi's fine."

Gomis' collapse was reminiscient of Fabrice Muamba's similar incident at White Hart Lane in March, 2012, with the then-Bolton player's heart stopping for over an hour. He retired from playing soon after.

FALCA0

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Van Gaal: I can't imagine Evans spat on Cisse

1039622_heroa.jpg

By Matthew Sherry at St James' Park
Mar 4, 2015 23:39:00

The Dutchman says he did not see the incident but insists that it would not be in the defender's character to resort to such behaviour

Manchester United boss Louis van Gaal leapt to the defence of Jonny Evans in the wake of an alleged spitting incident during his side's 1-0 win at Newcastle.

Evans appeared to spit in the direction of striker Papiss Cisse in the opening period, with the Senegalese seemingly returning fire immediately.

Van Gaal claimed not to have seen the altercation, although he insisted the Northern Irishman would not intentionally do such a thing.

"I didn't see that from the bench," he told reporters. "I think it was too far to see that. I cannot imagine Jonny Evans doing that."

Van Gaal's opposite number John Carver was similarly cautious when asked, saying: "I am aware of it now having seen the TV guys talking about it. I have not seen the incident, genuinely.

"I just saw a fracas on the halfway line and I need to have a look at it. The players have not mentioned it."

The controversy overshadowed another battling win from United, who took the spoils thanks to Ashley Young's 89th-minute winner.

The late goal delighted Van Gaal, with the Dutchman claiming his men got their just rewards.

"I have said in the dressing room that I was very pleased with the performance," he said after seeing United maintain their spot in the top four.

"This is a difficult ground to win. We dominated the game, but we don't reward ourselves. When you don't do that, you can end up with a negative result.

"It could have been because David de Gea made two fantastic saves. But, I have to say, Tim Krul did also.

"We have waited a long time for the winning goal but it shows the fighting spirit of our team again.

"I have said that a lot. For me, it was very important to win. All our competitors in our rat race [for the top four] have won too."

Groove Armada

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

Gutierrez makes comeback after beating cancer

4 March 2015

798834header.jpg

Newcastle United's Jonas Gutierrez made an emotional return to competitive football against Manchester United on Wednesday after recovering from testicular cancer.

The Argentina international last played a league match in April 2014 while on loan at Norwich City, before he was forced to take a step back from football after being diagnosed with the illness.

Gutierrez, 31, revealed he had undergone surgery in September and subsequently had chemotherapy.

He was given rapturous applause at St James' Park on Wednesday when he replaced Ryan Taylor 25 minutes from time, with compatriot and friend Fabricio Coloccini handing him the captain's armband upon his entrance.

Willian

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Martinez wants united front at struggling Everton

4 March 2015

798942header.jpg

Everton manager Roberto Martinez called on his club's fans and players to pull together after boos from the travelling supporters greeted the end of the 2-0 defeat at Stoke City.

Victor Moses and Mame Biram Diouf scored the goals to move Stoke up to eighth and leave Everton just six points above the drop zone after a five-game winless streak in the Premier League.

The visitors saw their best chance fall to substitute Arouna Kone, who shot at Asmir Begovic, and were then jeered off by the Everton faithful present at the Britannia Stadium on Wednesday.

Martinez's side have progressed into the UEFA Europa League last 16, but it is their domestic form that has caused concern compared to last season when Everton finished fifth to qualify for Europe.

A downbeat Martinez said: "We carried such negative momentum that everything that could go wrong, it went wrong.

"It probably showed that it was our fifth game in two weeks.

"We are not looking down, that is the reality. We want to get as many points as we can and we have got 10 games to go.

"Six of those are at Goodison [Park] which is an important factor, to be able to have our fans with us.

"It's been a tough period and you can understand the frustration that we all share.

"We have got 30 points to fight for and we are going to give our lives to get as many as we can. With our support and everyone at the club, this is the moment to get together."

Martinez expects left-back Leighton Baines, who missed the Stoke game through injury, to return for Everton's next Premier League game against Newcastle United.

He added: "Maybe [next] Thursday [against Dynamo Kiev in the Europa League] is a bit too early but I am confident that he will be back soon."

Wenger

Alfrescian
Loyal

Sturridge: ´I am ready to play every game´

5 March 2015

799017header.jpg

Daniel Sturridge does not want to be eased back into action by Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers following his return from injury.

Rodgers came out before Wednesday's 2-0 win over Burnley telling reporters that Sturridge was not yet ready to play consistent minutes as the England international forward returns to full fitness.

Sturridge, though, gave his manager something to think about after sealing Liverpool's fourth successive Premier League victory with a 51st-minute goal in just his second league start since returning from calf and thigh injuries.

And the 25-year-old said he does not want to be held back in Liverpool's bid for a top-four finish.

"I feel good, I have felt really good since I came back and I am ready to play every game," Sturridge said.

"I don't want to be eased in but I suppose that is what the manager wants."

First-half goalscorer Jordan Henderson lavished Sturridge with praise following Liverpool's win at Anfield.

"It is a massive three points for us, it was fantastic effort by all the lads," said Henderson, who deputised as captain in the absence of Steven Gerrard.

"It is great to have Daniel back, I thought he held the ball up really well. He gives us the freedom to play and his movement was unbelievable."

Redknapp

Alfrescian
Loyal

Hughes: Stoke evolution is ahead of schedule

4 March 2015

798997header.jpg

Mark Hughes admitted his Stoke City players are exceeding expectations after the 2-0 win over Everton lifted his side to eighth in the Premier League.

Victor Moses and Mame Biram Diouf scored the goals at the Britannia Stadium to sink Everton.

Stoke have now won three on the bounce in the league to give boss Hughes cause for celebration.

"We're doing fine, we're ahead of where we expected to be in the league table," said Hughes.

"We're eighth at the moment and we'd love to finish the season in that position."

The only negative for Stoke on Wednesday came when defender Philipp Wollscheid suffered with a groin injury and was hauled off after 17 minutes.

Hughes said: "We had to overcome the disappointment of losing Philipp in the opening minutes – he felt his groin in the warm-up.

"He gave it a go but he'd lost power in his left leg and in the end we had to take him off pretty quick.

"Geoff [Cameron] came in and did well and we didn't left that effect what we wanted to do and in the end deserved the victory."

Moses netted his third league goal of the season and Hughes added: "It was a great opening goal by Victor Moses who I thought was excellent. He looked really powerful and strong right to the end, as they all did.

"We always looked dangerous on the counter attack and, in the end, got the second goal which took the game away from them.

"I'm really delighted to win three games in a row."

PerMertesacker

Alfrescian
Loyal

Wenger hails Giroud´s mental strength

5 March 2015

799078header.jpg

Arsene Wenger said Olivier Giroud is mentally strong after the maligned Arsenal striker inspired the Londoners to a 2-1 victory at Loftus Road.

Giroud was heavily criticised following Arsenal's 3-1 defeat to Monaco in the opening leg of their UEFA Champions League last-16 tie last week.

But the France international striker has responded with goals in consecutive Premier League fixtures.

Giroud scored the opener as Arsenal accounted for Everton 2-0 on Sunday, while the 28-year-old netted the first of his side's two goals against QPR on Wednesday.

"Olivier has that mental strength, he's strong mentally too," Wenger said.

"He can take criticism and respond, and he's shown that.

"I feel that was a bit harsh on him because he missed some chances but that can happen.

"We were all down after the Monaco game, but we responded well against Everton, and the confidence we got against Everton paid off tonight."

Giroud has scored 10 Premier League goals for Arsenal this season, three less than team-mate Alexis Sanchez (13).

TonyPulis

Alfrescian
Loyal

Benteke eyeing FA Cup glory

5 March 2015

799032header.jpg

After lifting Aston Villa to a morale-boosting win against West Brom, Belgian striker Christian Benteke wants to do the double over their West Midlands rivals as Tim Sherwood's men bid to reach the FA Cup semi-finals.

Benteke netted an injury-time penalty as Villa beat West Brom 2-1 on Tuesday to end their 12-match winless streak in the Premier League.

The two rivals will resume hostilities in the sixth round of the FA Cup at Villa Park on Saturday, with Benteke hoping to fire Villa into the semis.

"Everyone is now looking forward to Saturday as we try to do the same [beat Albion again]," he said.

"I hope the FA Cup can be special for us.

"Just because we beat West Brom on Tuesday it doesn't mean that we have an advantage.

"It's another competition. But I have my faith.

"I've had a really bad time but I knew that if I worked hard I would get some good times back as well. I'm optimistic about the future."

JoseMourinho

Alfrescian
Loyal

Hero Hazard thrills Mourinho

4 March 2015

798979header.jpg

Jose Mourinho lavished praise on match-winner Eden Hazard after breathing a sigh of relief following Chelsea's 1-0 victory at West Ham.

Hazard's close-range header in the 22nd minute proved enough for Chelsea to follow up Sunday's League Cup final win against Tottenham and maintain their five-point gap over Manchester at the top of the Premier League.

The Belgium international was a constant threat throughout, laying on chances for Diego Costa and Ramires in a superb all-round performance.

"Eden Hazard is fantastic," Mourinho said. "He is punished by opponents in a very hard way.

"Today, not in a violent way, just an aggressive football way because they tried to stop him but the kid is playing, scoring and defending.

"My team were brothers on the pitch and that is important if you are to win the most difficult league in the world."

Chelsea were just about good value for their victory, although West Ham had chances of their own to take a point, most notably Diafra Sakho failing to put a free header past the excellent Thibaut Courtois in the first half.

And Mourinho was delighted to come away with three points that he feels will be crucial in their bid to win the title.

"Courtois was amazing in everything," he added. "A game you can easily lose two points, I am so happy we won.

"The way they [West Ham] play, nobody is better than them. They are the best at the way they play. It is not just to play football - the pressure, the tension and the emotion, my players were fantastic. We couldn't kill the game and these three points are massive for us.

"I told the referee is it very difficult to be a ref here, because of the style of their game - lots of long balls. West Ham had lots of balls in the box. [It was] very difficult, very intense and really difficult for the referee.

"They complain for everything, the crowd is behind them and it is really, really difficult. I want to sleep until midday!"