• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

SIA's problems. I think another it is anothersign of the PAP's empire is collapsing

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
https://sg.finance.yahoo.com/news/cathay-pacific-beats-sia-budget-023300902.html

Cathay Pacific beats SIA in budget air woes: Bloomberg

There is less competition in Hong Kong.

A recent report by Bloomberg shows that Cathay Pacific’s shares routed those of Singapore Airlines since the global financial crisis, as the Hong Kong carrier avoided the budget-airline trap while SIA doubled down.

Over the last 5 years, Cathay shares delivered a total return of 53% compared with SIA’s paltry 6.3%. The average annual return was 8.9% for the Hong Kong carrier versus 1.2% for SIA.

In Bloomberg’s interview with Arnaud Bochet, the analyst at BNP Paribas in Singapore says that Cathay Pacific has seen very strong recovery since the global financial crisis due to the fact that competition is lower in Hong Kong. He adds that Singapore Airlines has had to deal with intense competition in the Kangaroo routes (services between Australia and Europe), particularly from the Middle East airlines, and budget carriers within Southeast Asia.

9 Comments

Popular Now
Newest
Oldest
Most Replied

pana
1users liked this commentPlease sign in to rate a Thumb UpPlease sign in to rate a Thumb Down0users disliked this comment
pana • 2 hours 13 minutes ago Report Abuse

SIA chief executive Goh Choon Phong's pay was usd$2,635,025 - Bloomberg Businessweek. Goh has a masters degree and 3 bachelor's degrees, all in science and technology related fields, all from MIT.

... More

2 Replies
First
0users liked this commentPlease sign in to rate a Thumb UpPlease sign in to rate a Thumb Down0users disliked this comment
First • 34 minutes ago Report Abuse

With the paltry return of 1.2%, SIA might as well divest and put the money in bank to earn interest to make about 1.88% from DBS Bank.

Oplo
2users liked this commentPlease sign in to rate a Thumb UpPlease sign in to rate a Thumb Down0users disliked this comment
Oplo • 2 hours 28 minutes ago Report Abuse

SIA is a SOE and it hasn't been doing well for the past 5 years. Shouldn't Temasek (owned >54%), SIA BOD and Snr Mgt held accountable and responsible? Still sitting around collecting good bonuses and year-end parties?

TGH
2users liked this commentPlease sign in to rate a Thumb UpPlease sign in to rate a Thumb Down1users disliked this comment
TGH • 3 hours ago Report Abuse

It would be informative and interesting to compare the pay of the top management from both carriers.

3 Replies
TIMOTHY
1users liked this commentPlease sign in to rate a Thumb UpPlease sign in to rate a Thumb Down1users disliked this comment
TIMOTHY • 2 hours 23 minutes ago Report Abuse

Cathay Pacific air stewardess uniform is very nice..... nice short skirts.

2 Replies
James
0users liked this commentPlease sign in to rate a Thumb UpPlease sign in to rate a Thumb Down0users disliked this comment
James • 1 minute 5 seconds ago Report Abuse

Who cares..SIA don't give their citizens any free flight....I not the Lees who are major shareholders of SIA.

First
1users liked this commentPlease sign in to rate a Thumb UpPlease sign in to rate a Thumb Down0users disliked this comment
First • 33 minutes ago Report Abuse

SIA may be dying soon like old Lee?

First
First • 38 minutes ago Report Abuse

Tiger Air's CEO has gone. It is times up for SIA's CEO as well.

First
First • 36 minutes ago Report Abuse

With the paltry return, SIA will not make enough money to renew its fleets of planes. Sooner or later, SIA will be saddled with all old planes

Last edited:

sochi2014

Alfrescian
Loyal
Re: SIA's problems. I think another it is anothersign of the PAP's empire is collap

how could any business excel in the global marketplace when it is stuffed with political collusion, cronyism and nepotism?

very typical of Asian cultures.

tonychat

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Re: SIA's problems. I think another it is anothersign of the PAP's empire is collap

Hahaha.. My favourite airline has beaten Sink-I-A.. Well done!!!!!

tanwahtiu

Alfrescian
Loyal

don't use Asian, as a whole, liberally.

This Hakkalee family is not good business people, how can bully be good business people?

“I make no apologies that the PAP is the Government and the Government is the PAP.”
- Lee Kuan Yew, Petir, 1982

“If you are a troublemaker…it’s our job to politically destroy you. Put it this way. As long as JB Jeyaretnam stands for what he stands for – a thoroughly destructive force – we will knock him. Everybody knows that in my bag I have a hatchet, and a very sharp one. You take me on, I take my hatchet, we meet in the cul-de-sac.”
- Lee Kuan Yew, The Man And His Ideas, 1997

how could any business excel in the global marketplace when it is stuffed with political collusion, cronyism and nepotism?

Leepotism

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

This Leegime is starting to rot.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Always thought that SIA was the jewel among all the GLCs since it could hold its own against the competition. Maybe it was true in the past, but with so many million dollar scholars in the system it will probably become a failed company like SMRT.

blackmondy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

SIA = Service Inadequate Airlines

Dark Knight

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

The reason why SIA can sustain it's business for so long is not because of it's own competency.
It's due to the fact that it's a Monopoly GLC in Sillypore plus it has all the funding and connection from the gahbrament.
That's why they can charge a premium on their tickets on specific routes and yet business still sustainable.

If all other airlines follow suit to market themselves as another high end air lines and start charging high they will be closing shop long time ago.
SIA will make more losses if they still want to go on with that path.

virus

Alfrescian
Loyal

to b fair most of the budget airlines r non performing cut throat biz.

a lot of $$ is dependent on fuel cost and fleet cost

not sure how CP managed to return such high numbers. could be combo of both.

Satyr

Alfrescian
Loyal

The reason why SIA can sustain it's business for so long is not because of it's own competency.
It's due to the fact that it's a Monopoly GLC in Sillypore plus it has all the funding and connection from the gahbrament.
That's why they can charge a premium on their tickets on specific routes and yet business still sustainable.

If all other airlines follow suit to market themselves as another high end air lines and start charging high they will be closing shop long time ago.

The first sign of decay was went they featured overweight stewardesses with high fares and a sucky webpage. Shows management was sleeping or couldn't care less. And yes, too many bloody scholars. When will they learn, the civil service and the military are not the real world.

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

honestly speaking it's taken so long before sia starts to fall in rankings? Who has been sustatining the airline? Must be the cpf of sinkies.

dr.wailing

Alfrescian
Loyal

Could your statements be applied to MAS whose flight MH 370 disappeared into the Indian Ocean?

kryonlight

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

I seriously hope SIA dies together with LKY. They are both one and the same.

We need a new national airline that we can all be proud of. SIA simply doesn't.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

I seriously hope SIA dies together with LKY. They are both one and the same.

We need a new national airline that we can all be proud of. SIA simply doesn't.

When the public gets a look at the real accounts of Spore, there might not be much $ left in the kitty for a national airline. I don't see how taxpayers can afford all those multi-million salaries that are so common in the gov't & GLCs:eek:

Spore Inc might even have to file for bankruptcy as there won't be enough $ left to return the people's CPF.

frenchbriefs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Let me tell u fools one thing,if the pap's empire were to collapse,it would be only be due to one thing,and would have happened at a much much earlier date......at the hands of the sinkie population.sinkies would have set upon the PAP's throats like werewolves on humans if they even realise what the PAP is doing to them.

But unfortunately sinkies are a bunch of daft and stupid estupido idiotas pendejos,so i believe sinkies will become extinct before they even figure out in their dumb stupid coconut heads that pap is leading these dumb retarded cows to their deaths.

This country is done for,i highly reccommend u guys start saving up as much money as u can and start looking to migrate abroad like leong sam did.

Last edited:

Timerty

Alfrescian
Loyal

No matter how much SIA try to upgrade it is still Asian and the uniform is not tradition it looks like house clothes sold at a parsar malam. The red lip stick makes all the girls look like KTV hostesses the type that give BJ for $200 type. Only the dirty rich ang mohs would prefer SIA to other international airlines just to get the chance to rub their backside.

tonychat

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

Let me tell u fools one thing,if the pap's empire were to collapse,it would be only be due to one thing,and would have happened at a much much earlier date......at the hands of the sinkie population.sinkies would have set upon the PAP's throats like werewolves on humans if they even realise what the PAP is doing to them.

But unfortunately sinkies are a bunch of daft and stupid estupido idiotas pendejos,so i believe sinkies will become extinct before they even figure out in their dumb stupid coconut heads that pap is leading these dumb retarded cows to their deaths.

This country is done for,i highly reccommend u guys start saving up as much money as u can and start looking to migrate abroad like leong sam did.

actually no need to save much money, just go across the causeway and be done with it. BUt even for that, sinkies are just too daft for that.

maxxi

Alfrescian
Loyal

Cx never forsake their most important clients..The locals hongkees.
Same thing with Ferris wheel, throw away locals tot can depend totally on Fts .