• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

growing your own fruit and vegetables

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
this thread is dedicated for those who are growing their own produce or contemplating growing their own. it's in the emigration folder because it's assumed that only those with land (owned or borrowed) and conducive climates and environments (tropical, mediterranean, temperate) can conduct and enjoy their therapeutic and fruitful hobby. nonetheless, sinkies stuck in sg are welcome to contribute as some have land, bushes and trees while others have flats with patios and pots where fruit and vege can be grown.

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
public vegetable garden in vancouver on a vacant lot right in the middle of the city....

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 790

chonburifc

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
For those with space constraint problems, can consider DIY vertical hydroponic system. For personal consumption, it's cheap, easy to build and maintain.

The seeds of most vegetables and fruits can be obtained for as low as 50-80 cents per packet (100-500 seeds).
image001.jpg

Close up.
image004.jpg

Some from friends. This is a very good pandan leaves. Got a root cutting from a friend and has since become 5 pots of good pandan leaves. OK, this is better than the commercial available ones.
image005.jpg

Birds eye chilli and lime plants. The bird eye chilli plant is so hot that you need to wear a pair of gloves just to trim the plant/leaves.
image006.jpg

Laksa Leaves grown purely from water only. These are stem cuttings. Just cut from old stem and put into soda bottles. Every few days change water.
image007.jpg

Will post more when I free. :biggrin:

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
i buy frozen pandan leaves from an asian store as it's not conducive to grow them where i live. but i'll try within a greenhouse next winter. vietnamese and hmong farmers are able to grow many of the herbs found in their meals, and they include laksa leaves. will take some pics of various exotic herbs and vege from farmers' markets this weekend.

The_Hypocrite

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Hey ah sai...u run yr sewerage to yr vege gardens right? Tat will save u heaps in sewerage fees n of course yr plants grow too...back to the good old days of farming..

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Hey ah sai...u run yr sewerage to yr vege gardens right? Tat will save u heaps in sewerage fees n of course yr plants grow too...back to the good old days of farming..

i don't have plumbing to the plants and trees as i use the (single) bucket system for night soil. unlike sam, i don't have the multi-door truck that can carry the entire neighborhood's daily discharge. :p

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
I never was interested in gardening or horticulture but nevertheless helped my wife out when we had our own garden. Without an agricultural background, we went along with what we could obtain from the gardening section at Home Depot and started out with a few varieties of tomatoes, some species' of herbs like mint, oregano and stuff we could throw into our meal recipes. Over the next two to three summers, I lost interest and put less and less effort into the garden, finally only my wife carried on with the garden work and all I did was m mow the lawn to keep the grass from growing too tall. I spent my backyard hours barbecuing instead.

Sorry, nothing much or useful I can input here. Maintaining the lawn is about all I can say I've done.

Oh yes. Wish to add that my dog often helped himself to our cherry tomatoes whenever they grew. Strange dog. I've seen him eat the mushrooms too when they appeared on the lawn.

Cheers!

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
agora, your dog was an avid follower and reader of tony's tales on sbf. it probably drank soursop juice too. :p

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
pot of mint. lime, lemongrass, ginger, mint....make a great beverage for summer.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    161.7 KB · Views: 663

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

If you live in OZ, you can easily use greywater mixed with a bit of gypsum. But blackwater tend to face resistance from the Shires in getting approval.

Using a compost bin is another good idea.

Agree with TS. Migrated means you get to do what you can't in Singapore.

Sinkees who don't like veggies turn vegans eating from my crops. Vegs have never tasted so good until we grow them ourselves. Then you go supermarket and see the poor specimens on displayed.

Last edited:

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
farmers' market in milpitas on sunday.....herbs and vege from viet and hmong farmers. laksa leaves among them....

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    158 KB · Views: 323
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    176.5 KB · Views: 339
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    142.8 KB · Views: 309

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
huat ahhhh! summer is here, and the farmers' market is brimming with produce.....

tomato galore...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    133.8 KB · Views: 724