• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Giving birth in JB and register baby as Singaporean.

longwei

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi guys, am a Singaporean staying in JB more than 2 years with my wife.

My wife edd is in oct and probably going to have my baby be deliver at Columbia.

just a quick check with you guys, whats the process of getting sg citizenship for my baby?

get a malaysia citizen ic and passport first? then go sg apply?

anyway my wife is a malaysian, singapore pr :smile:

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
Hi guys, am a Singaporean staying in JB more than 2 years with my wife.

My wife edd is in oct and probably going to have my baby be deliver at Columbia.

just a quick check with you guys, whats the process of getting sg citizenship for my baby?

get a malaysia citizen ic and passport first? then go sg apply?

anyway my wife is a malaysian, singapore pr :smile:

Hi Longwei, yes you can do that. We did it too, i am sure i shared it somewhere a while ago but sharing what i still remember.

Basically first have your baby delivered(big congrats), then get letter from the hospital. Thereafter go to the registry of births in Setia Tropika. http://www.jpn.com.my/jpn_offices/Johor_Bahru.htm

After that, get the birth cert and make an appointment with our Consulate General office at 35th floor, City Square. Remember you can stay up to 30 days in Malaysia so your wife can at least do a bit of confinement before you need to go back to Singapore but normally best to start this process 1 week by yourself after the birth.

Remember, you can go back to SG with your baby by making a prior appointment with the Consulate General (call first) and then get photograph done of your child and bring marriage cert (they need original AND photocopy) and you will get a one time travel document back for him/her to go back to Singapore on the next appointment (may need a few days, they close at 5pm sharp). PLEASE CALL BEFORE GOING DOWN (they don't like it otherwise)

The travel document also requires a photograph of your baby. Please do downstairs at City Square and bring at least 4 photographs. Remember to do photocopy of your important documents, birth cert, marriage certificate, passport copies as well as NRIC photocopies.
In case i missed anything, please refer to the websites i have put down.

To be very safe, prepare to bring your child back to SG before he/she reaches 1 month of age just in case.

Remember, before your child gets citizenship certificate, he/she cannot apply passport and hence must stay in SG until citizenship certificate is APPROVED and received. Once approved, he/she can then apply for passport (with photograph) online, at the Consulate General or at ICA and can start travelling after that. (Please note that Passport applications take a much longer time at Consulate General)

How to register
http://www.mfa.gov.sg/content/mfa/o...nship_application_for_child_of_singapore.html

Address:
Suite 35.02, Level 35
Johor Bahru City Square Office Tower
106-108, Jalan Wong Ah Fook
80000 Johor Bahru
Johor, Malaysia

Telephone:
+607 226 5012

Fax:
+607 226 5013

E-Mail:
[email protected]

Operational Hours:
For General Enquiries:-
Mon. – Fri.
8.30am – 1.00pm
2.00pm – 5.00pm

Closed on Sat, Sun and Public Holidays, including Singapore National Day on 9 August

(For folks who lost their travel documents or passport when overseas, you can also contact them to help you get a one time document go back home.) Just remember to go early and CALL in advance. Please remember to register with the guards on the 35th floor prior to gaining entry.

Best wishes and yes i did all of these without any assistance as i prepared and did the groundwork by going onsite and asking (got misdirected once or twice).

longwei

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi Wuqi,

thanks for the reply. I was thinking is it possible to get a malaysia passport first(my wife is malaysian) for my baby while applying sg citizenship.

I consulted ICA and they mention, since I, the father is born singaporean. he is able to apply citizenship for baby by decendent.

so in this way he can have a paasport to travel in and out of sg and once sg citizenship approve, he can apply sg passport after malaysia passport expire?

PuteriWorld

Alfrescian
Loyal
Can do but abit troublesome la cos got to carry the infant to ICA to wait. You know how slow our ICA processing can get right? Just look at the Customs Jam.

Good thing is that he or she enjoys being a Malaysian cum Sing citizens at the same time. Bad thing is that there is actually no different or benefits in doing so because the real benefits will come in when they are adult but this is the time the govt wants them to renounce either of the citizenship

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
Hi Wuqi,

thanks for the reply. I was thinking is it possible to get a malaysia passport first(my wife is malaysian) for my baby while applying sg citizenship.

I consulted ICA and they mention, since I, the father is born singaporean. he is able to apply citizenship for baby by decendent.

so in this way he can have a paasport to travel in and out of sg and once sg citizenship approve, he can apply sg passport after malaysia passport expire?

Best not to get the Malaysian passport if you want your baby to get the SG citizenship as they will consider on many fronts, including how many years you have actually spent in Singapore etc. Doing it like what i suggested, you will have SG passport for your baby within 2-3 months time.

longwei

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi wuqi, thank for the reply.

reason being my place in sg taken up and finding place to stay while waiting for sg passport is abit hard.

thus I am exploring the best method to get sg citizenship for my baby while I can still stay in malaysia.

iCA referred to me to a website using singpass to logon to register baby for citizenship for baby that are born overseas.

my only worry is that they declined the baby citizenship

theseedtropez

Alfrescian
Loyal
I have same scenario as you. The diff is I am Malaysian & My wife is Sporean.
My baby born in JB, got Malaysia citizenship and passport, then when things settled down we applied Spore citizenship for our baby.

So now my kid has 2 countries citizenship with both passports. Initially we only want our kid to be Singaporean only but it is not allowed to renounce the Malaysia citizenship before reaching 21 years old.

Since my kid has 2 citizenships, we enjoy all benefits including baby bonus from Spore, as well as we can apply the school in either country at local rate.

Anyway, it is depends on your family plan, if you all plan to return to Singapore in future for your kid education, then better follow Wu Qi advice.

longwei

Alfrescian
Loyal
My baby born in JB, got Malaysia citizenship and passport, then when things settled down we applied Spore citizenship for our baby.

So now my kid has 2 countries citizenship with both passports. Initially we only want our kid to be Singaporean only but it is not allowed to renounce the Malaysia citizenship before reaching 21 years old.

Since my kid has 2 citizenships, we enjoy all benefits including baby bonus from Spore, as well as we can apply the school in either country at local rate.

Anyway, it is depends on your family plan, if you all plan to return to Singapore in future for your kid education, then better follow Wu Qi advice.

Do you mind sharing with me the procedures to do this and the timeline involved?

theseedtropez

Alfrescian
Loyal
1. Obtain birth cert from Malaysia authority.
2. Apply Mykid at JPN if I am not wrong.
3. Apply Malaysia passport at immigration office
4. Apply Singapore citizenship at ICA Singapore
5. Apply Singapore Passport online

1-3 is very fast, can get it on the same day of application.
4-5 is depends on how ICA will approve your baby citizenship base on current requirements.

We done it above 5 years ago, not sure if current procedure still the same.
Hope this helps.

longwei

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi theseedtropez,

thanks for your reply. you mentioned 4-5 depends on approval. does it means there a chance where baby will not get sg citizenship though she is born by decendent

1. Obtain birth cert from Malaysia authority.
2. Apply Mykid at JPN if I am not wrong.
3. Apply Malaysia passport at immigration office
4. Apply Singapore citizenship at ICA Singapore
5. Apply Singapore Passport online

1-3 is very fast, can get it on the same day of application.
4-5 is depends on how ICA will approve your baby citizenship base on current requirements.

We done it above 5 years ago, not sure if current procedure still the same.
Hope this helps.

theseedtropez

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi theseedtropez,

thanks for your reply. you mentioned 4-5 depends on approval. does it means there a chance where baby will not get sg citizenship though she is born by decendent

You are welcome, longwei.
If one of the parent is Singaporean, I think the baby is entitled to apply for citizen of Singapore.
The best is to check with ICA for confirmation.

currahee

Alfrescian
Loyal
item4/5 can do online if either parents is citizen..
if you alr have malaysia passport, then no need apply #5

longwei

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi my baby is going to EDD in 2 weeks time. I trying to find the process of getting citizenship for my baby.

So after she is born where can I register malaysia citizen and passport for her?

After that I just go online apply sg citizen?

Skooz

Alfrescian
Loyal
Best to get My citizen first and the timeline for Sg citizen is 6 months ,child will have My passport but after applying Sg citizen ICA will endorse the passport as Sporean so have both world but take an oath before 21 yrs in Spore and renounce My citizen.( if want to do NS of course)