• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Manchester United 2014-2015

yinyang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Scholes to be on coaching team?

The thoughts of King Louis: What Van Gaal said during his first meeting with the media
Jul 17, 2014 22:40. BBC news
Stuart Mathieson charts Louis van Gaal's first United press conference in detail, from the United challenge to his personality

VAN GAAL ON THE UNITED CHALLENGE
I will do my utmost best. That’s what I can give. I cannot give predictions because you never know. It’s the biggest club of the world.

Within two days, I know already how important Manchester United is but also how important the sponsors are.

I have to work, I have to prepare a team, I have to adapt to this big club.

It shall not be easy but I will do my utmost best and, when you see my career, you can see what I have won. That’s all I can say. The future shall show if I can do that again.

The owners and the CEO have a lot of confidence in me. They have come to me and I explained my philosophy and they were excited.

Because of that I’m here. We have to wait and see if I can fulfil this expectation of those people and the supporters. The fans are very important, I know that.

I’ve only been here two days. I’ve met a lot of people and when you see those kind of people who love the club, you see it’s a big family and they expect a lot from me.

They are very excited to meet me. Can I fulfil that expectation? I think I can do it. But because of the greatness of this club it’s also much more difficult than in another club.

Also, this club is also guided in the commercial way and we have to fulfil that also.

And that’s not always possible to fulfil both commercial and football. That’s my big challenge after two days.

Maybe it will be changing after the US tour, but I don’t think so!

VAN GAAL ON AMBITIONS
In the world of football you cannot predict. Nobody could have predicted the Dutch did so well at the World Cup, nobody would have predicted Germany would beat Brazil 7-1.

I have to see how the players perform my philosophy and how quick they can pick up this philosophy. Then I can answer.

Now, I haven’t worked with most of them so we have to wait and see. It’s very important there’s a click between players and the manager.

For me, the challenge is always to come first. Not fourth. But when you have to analyse after one season, it’s dependent on the click between the players and the manager.

I have never worked in the Premier League so it’s a big challenge I wanted to take. I have worked in Spain and Germany and in my time of Barcelona I think at that time the Spanish league was the best league.

And in my time in Germany we were the best league. And maybe, when I work here, the Premier League is the best league!

VAN GAAL ON UNITED
It’s the biggest club because of how well it’s known around the world. But in sport, you are never the biggest club because every season you have to be prove.

Last year, you were seventh so then you are not the biggest club. But it’s well known all over the world.

When I was in China or Brazil, people are talking about United when I was the coach of the Dutch team!

That’s the difference. There’s a lot of expectation but it’s also a great challenge because of that. Therefore, I have chosen this club.

I worked for Barcelona – in my opinion, number one in Spain. I’ve coached Ajax – number one in the Netherlands, and I’ve coached Bayern Munich – number one in Germany.

Now I’m in Manchester United – number one in England. I hope I fulfil the expectation but it shall be difficult.

VAN GAAL ON THE CLASS OF ‘92
Nicky Butt is already assisting us, Paul Scholes we shall find a role for him and also for Phil Neville, I believe. That’s what we want.

But it has to also be possible and we have to look at that.

We have to adapt to the qualities of these people. It’s not an easy job. We have to speak personally with them – that’s why we have to wait and see.

Martin Rickett/PA New Manchester United manager Louis van Gaal

LVG ON TRANSFERS
My method is always the same. I want to look at the players now, the players present. Of course I know how the players play.

But I don’t know the players under my training or coaching. In the first three or four weeks, I want to see what they can do.

Then maybe I will buy other players. The players we have bought now – Shaw and Herrera – they were already on the list. I gave my approval because I like them.

First I want to see the players performing under my philosophy.

VAN GAAL ON THE CAPTAINCY
All the players are possible candidates. I have to get to know them, so I will use four, five or six weeks. Or it could be two months.

For me, the captain’s role is very important. Therefore, I need time. Sometimes I haven’t had the time – then I have to make quick decisions. But quick decisions are not always good. I’ll use my time for it. I think a captain is very important.

VAN GAAL ON YOUTH POLICY
The owners and CEO, Ed Woodward, have asked me to give advice but the main project is the first team.

That’s more of a short-term thing than the youth - that’s a long-term project. The first year or two years we have to separate them.

Now, I need all my knowledge to transfer my philosophy into this selection. You have to give me time to do that. Not only you, but also the CEO and the owners.

VAN GAAL ON NO SUMMER HOLIDAY
It’s not allowed! Of course it was better I have a sabbatical or that I come in January. But I could not let them go when you have been asked by the biggest club in the world.

It’s a big challenge, a big ambition for me. When there is a challenge like this, I never let it go. This is a holiday for me. I like the way I can work.

yinyang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
More Manchester United signings promised by Ed Woodward
By Simon Stone, BBC Sport in Los Angeles

Manchester United fans can expect further new signings in the coming weeks, executive vice-chairman Ed Woodward has assured them.

New boss Louis van Gaal has already spent £56m on defender Luke Shaw and midfielder Ander Herrera.

And Woodward promised there would be no repeat of last summer's disappointments in the transfer window.
“There is no fixed budget. Financially we are extremely strong. We want to do what it takes to win the title” Ed Woodward
"There is a lot of work going on behind the scenes," Woodward told MUTV. "Watch this space."

Last summer, following the appointment of David Moyes as Sir Alex Ferguson's successor, Woodward failed to secure the club's key targets and ended up signing only Marouane Fellaini for £27m from Everton before the transfer deadline.

Van Gaal is using the club's current trip to the United States to assess what further changes need to be made.

And Woodward has promised the funds are in place to back the manager's plans.

"There is no fixed budget," he said. "Financially we are extremely strong. We want to do what it takes to win the title."

New arrivals will be accompanied by departures. Nemanja Vidic has already joined Inter Milan while Rio Ferdinand has left for QPR and it is anticipated Patrice Evra will join Juventus imminently, having asked United to leave.

Van Gaal has a ready-made replacement for Evra in Shaw, 19, who became the fourth most expensive defender ever when he made a £27m move from Southampton in June.

Former Red Devils full-back Denis Irwin is confident the teenager has the ability required to be a long-term success at the club.

Louis van Gaal brought his Manchester United players to Santa Monica beach on arrival in Los Angeles
"He has pace, is great going forward and is still only young. He is going to be a fantastic signing for years to come," said Irwin, who made 529 appearances in his 12 years at United.

"Market forces dictate what you have to pay for players and there was talk of Chelsea being in for him.

"We have to accept he will make mistakes defensively. But he has been playing in the Premier League for the last two years with Southampton and he is only going to get better."

United were seventh last season - their worst finish since 1990 - and Van Gaal is looking for an immediate improvement.

Irwin believes United are capable of challenging for the Premier League title in Van Gaal's first season in charge.

"Manchester United have to aim for the summit," he added.

"There are still a lot of experienced players here who know how to get the job done and the manager has won trophies all over the world. With two or three more signings, I would expect us to challenge."

yinyang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Man Utd boss Louis Van Gaal poised to make £17m offer for Dutch international Daley Blind
MANCHESTER UNITED are preparing to offer Ajax £17m for Dutch international Daley Blind
Mon, July 21, 2014 http://www.express.co.uk/sport/foot...17m-offer-for-Dutch-international-Daley-Blind

Manchester United are prepared to offer £17m for Dutch star Daley Blind. According to Italian sources, Louis Van Gaal is ready to step up his interest in the versatile 24-year-old, and make Blind his third significant signing of the summer.

In light of the breaking news, it is no wonder that Manchester United chief executive Ed Woodward has left the tour of America to supervise transfer proceedings.

The Red Devils have frequently been linked with Dutch internationals, Memphis Depay and Arjen Robben to name a few - however it is Blind who is now most likely to arrive at Old Trafford.

Blind's versatility makes him an ideal candidate for Van Gaal to acquire, especially considering the departures of left-backs Alexander Büttner and Patrice Evra.

He will either battle United's £30m starlet Luke Shaw for a starting spot, or be deployed as a defensive midfielder.

The 24-year-old has been a key figure in helping Ajax win their fourth consecutive domestic league title, and has received universal plaudits for his performances at the World Cup.

He was named the Dutch Footballer of the Year 2014 - an award won by his legendary father Danny Blind, as well as a host of illustrious names including Luis Suarez, Wilfried Bony and Jaap Stam.

Manchester United fans are likely to be pleased with the signing of Blind, however many still yearn for a marquee signing in the shape of Arturo Vidal, Angel Di Maria, Kevin Strootman or Sami Khedira.

Gallego99

Alfrescian
Loyal
Wow, Bayern now have both Juan Bernat and David Alaba.

Another good left back is Wolfsburg player and Swiss International Ricardo Rodriguez. He took set pieces including corners for the Swiss team at the world cup.

Rick had an outstanding WC. He can certainly play in the middle. Just have a feeling the top transfers (costliest ones) are going to turn out to be duds.

Gallego99

Alfrescian
Loyal
Scholes to be on coaching team?

The thoughts of King Louis: What Van Gaal said during his first meeting with the media
Jul 17, 2014 22:40. BBC news
Stuart Mathieson charts Louis van Gaal's first United press conference in detail, from the United challenge to his personality

VAN GAAL ON THE UNITED CHALLENGE
I will do my utmost best. That’s what I can give. I cannot give predictions because you never know. It’s the biggest club of the world.

Within two days, I know already how important Manchester United is but also how important the sponsors are.

I have to work, I have to prepare a team, I have to adapt to this big club.....................................................................................................

Its an opportunity for Scholes. Its all part of the plan to involve ex players in the setup just like Bayern. Exciting days ahead.

yinyang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Louis van Gaal can break world transfer record for Manchester United
• Van Gaal chasing Hummels, Blind and Vermaelen
• Ed Woodward gives green light to buy the best

The Guardian, Tuesday 22 July 2014 22.30 BST

Louis van Gaal has been told he is free to break the world transfer record to bring the right player to Manchester United.

Last year Real Madrid set the record by signing Gareth Bale from Tottenham Hotspur for £86m, eclipsing the £80m they had paid United four years earlier for Cristiano Ronaldo. Van Gaal, who will take charge of United for the first time in a friendly against LA Galaxy that kicks off in the early hours of tomorrow morning UK time, has been told his transfer activity will not be constrained by money.

“It’s difficult to deal in hypotheticals based on lots of different things,” Ed Woodward said. “The reality is that we’re not afraid of spending significant amounts of money in the transfer market.”

The club’s executive vice-chairman added: “Whether it’s a record or not doesn’t really resonate with us. What resonates is an elite player that the manager wants who is going to be a star for Manchester United.”

United have already paid £27m for Southampton’s Luke Shaw and £28.5m for Athletic Bilbao’s Ander Herrera. The £37.5m paid to Chelsea for Juan Mata in January is a United club record but Woodward says United will not be put off spending what it takes to secure the players of Van Gaal’s choice. “Of course it’s in our capabilities,” he said. “You guys think about the money in a way that I don’t. I get pointed in the direction of a target that the manager wants and there is an assessment of what that might cost and I’ll negotiate hard to do the best I can on the trade.

“I stand by what I said – there is no budget. We are in a very strong financial position. We can make big signings. That doesn’t mean we go and throw money around. Louis is the manager. We have a lot of scouting output through the last 12 months, flagging up various things to us. Louis is the one that makes the ultimate decision around who he wants in the squad. I’m not going to force feed him with a player that he hasn’t selected.”

Although Van Gaal wants to assess the squad Woodward says no time is being lost with regard to signings. “We’re still looking at options. We’re not sitting on our hands waiting for Louis. He is very good at communicating clearly what he wants.”

With Patrice Evra, Rio Ferdinand and Nemanja Vidic having left, United need at least one central defender, potentially another left-back, and are still chasing another central midfielder despite Herrera’s arrival.

Although Germany’s World Cup winning central defender Mats Hummels is wanted by Van Gaal but Dortmund are unlikely to agree to sell as the club have already lost Robert Lewandowski to Bayern Munich.. Yet with Ilkay Gundogan having two years left on his contract at Dortmund and his fellow central midfielder Marco Reus, whose terms end in 2017, having a buyout clause activated next summer, United recognise the situation at the German club is fluid.

While Fiorentina’s Juan Cuadrado is not thought to be high on Van Gaal’s list, the Ajax midfielder Daley Blind, is on the manager’s radar, along with countryman Stefan de Vrij, the Feyenoord defender, and Arsenal’s Thomas Vermaelen, though it is not thought any deal for him would currently involve a United player in part-exchange with Arsenal. The United manager is an admirer of Roma’s Kevin Strootman, though the midfielder is recovering from a knee injury so any transfer may not occur until January.

While United understand Real Madrid’s Ángel di María is for sale he is not currently being considered.

Woodward said the record £750m kit deal signed with Adidas was evidence that despite United not being in Europe next season, they are the world’s biggest club. “What the deal shows and what we’re seeing with everything we’re doing from a commercial perspective, talking to agents, talking from a player’s perspective about wanting to come to us, we are the biggest club in the world, there’s no question about that,” he said.

Despite the departures of Ferdinand and Vidic having left Jonny Evans, Phil Jones and Chris Smalling as the sole recognised central defenders Van Gaal has been informed by United’s medical department the trio can expect to enjoy a campaign in which all will be the freest of injury they have been in their careers.

Woodward admits that his first 12 months in charge of United following David Gill’s resignation as the chief executive have been trying. Yet he believes Van Gaal has restored the aura to the 20-times champions thatwas lost during the season under David Moyes.

“It was a challenging year. In an ideal situation I would have worked with [Sir] Alex [Ferguson] for a year. I feel a lot more positivity in terms of this coming season. Part of that is simply because of what Louis did at the World Cup.”

After Van Gaal twice mentioned the club’s commercial links at his unveiling, Woodward denied these were an issue for the manager. “We are a different sized club. You have not experienced what being a Manchester United manager is until you have been Manchester United manager.”

yinyang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Man United beat AS Roma 3-2 in a pre-season friendly in Denver
By Simon Stone BBC Sport in Denver

Wayne Rooney scored twice and created a goal for Juan Mata as Manchester United beat Roma 3-2 in Denver.
Rooney's 36th-minute opener from 20 yards sparked a three-goal flurry at the end of the first half.
Mata lobbed home after a raking pass from England striker Rooney, who then scored a stoppage-time penalty.
Miralem Pjanic netted an amazing 75th-minute strike from inside his own half for Roma, before Francesco Totti's 89th-minute spot-kick.

Victory was United's second in succession under new manager Louis van Gaal, following a 7-0 defeat of LA Galaxy.
Roma started the brighter, with Mattia Destro breaking clear in the second minute and lifting a shot over Sam Johnstone - but the ball bounced narrowly over the crossbar.

Mostly, though, it was a series of misplaced passes, poor control and general lethargy in the 30 degree heat.
Rooney lifted the torpor, curling home in exactly the same manner as he had been practising at the other end of the pitch in Friday's training session.

Rooney's 36th-minute opener was United's first of three goals in nine minutes
He then created United's second with an arrowed pass from inside his own half. Mata's one-touch control was instant and his delicate finish perfect.

United were on a roll and when Danny Welbeck was prevented from reaching Ander Herrera's return pass by Mehdi Benatia, Rooney's powerful penalty sent Lukasz Skorupski the wrong way from the spot.
As promised, Van Gaal made nine changes at the break.

Juan Mata set up Rooney and then combined with the England striker to score United's second
His preferred system of three central defenders meant an unaccustomed right wing-back role for substitute Ashley Young - and he was soon booked for sliding into Leandro Castan. In a game of excellent goals, Pjanic scored the most spectacular.

Spotting Ben Amos off his line, the Bosnian sent the ball sailing over the Manchester United keeper from 10 yards inside his own half. Amos was helpless, the ball not even bouncing as it entered the net.
Totti then converted a penalty following Michael Keane's handball a minute from time, but United held on and face Inter Milan next in Washington on 29 July.

Manchester United manager Louis van Gaal said:
"I think we didn't play a good match. When you are 3-0 ahead, the only thing you have to do is keep the ball and the opponent has to run and run and run.
"It's very difficult in this hot weather to do that, but we forgot. We brought Roma back into match.
"I am pleased we have won, but it was not good."

yinyang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
No surprise, both mop fellaini and Kagawa to be shown the door

Manchester United midfielder Marouane Fellaini, who joined the club for £27.5m from Everton last summer, could be on his way out of Old Trafford after the 26-year-old and his agent held talks with Napoli chief Riccardo Bigon. Daily Express

United are also ready to allow Japan midfielder Shinji Kagawa, 25, to leave the club, with Borussia Dortmund ready to take back the player they sold to the Red Devils in 2012. Independent

yinyang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Vidal in now?

http://www.caughtoffside.com/2014/0...squad-number-reserved-personal-terms-reached/

Exclusive: Man United Agree £47m Deal to Sign Arturo Vidal, Squad Number Reserved, Personal Terms Reached
by Christian Bailey July 30th, 2014

Old Trafford side set to welcome in club record signing.

Arturo-Vidal-Chile1.png

Man United have seen a €60m (£47m) bid for Juventus star Arturo Vidal accepted and with the Chilean having already agreed personal terms a move to complete a club record transfer deal appears to be on the cards.

CaughtOffside understands that Old Trafford boss Louis van Gaal had pushed chief executive Ed Woodward to pull out all the stops to land the highly rated attacking midfielder with the Premier League side keen to bring a ‘Marquee’ signing to act as a real statement of intent.

Van Gaal is keen to freshen up his brittle midfield and his push for added creativity, and a genuine additional goal threat, has led Man United to make a big money move for Vidal.

The Dutch boss has been in hot pursuit of Vidal for some weeks and the departure of Antonio Conte as Juventus manager has only aided their move to bring in the former Bayer Leverkusen man.

Louis van Gaal has a long running interest in Vidal, having attempted to sign the cultured performer when he was in charge of Bayern Munich, and now seems to have won the race to bring in the Juventus man.

Vidal has been pivotal in Juventus’s three successive Serie A title wins but the club’s inability to make an impact at Champions League level may have left him open to a fresh challenge.

Though Man United do not have Champions League action to offer Vidal in 2014/15 he will have been impressed with the club’s drive to enter a new era, post Sir Alex Ferguson, with the club’s owners keen to repair the damage suffered during David Moyes’s brief reign.

Man United will hand Vidal a four year deal worth in excess of £200k a week and though a deal isn’t entirely done and dusted it is thought that the club will bring in the 27 year old in the coming days and have reserved the number seven squad number for the incoming South American.

Van Gaal has already brought in Ander Herrera and Luke Shaw from Athletic Bilbao and Southampton respectively, moves that cost around £60m, and further signings are penciled in and as such a number of the club’s expansive squad look set for summer exits in order to balance the books.

Nani, Javier Hernandez, Marouane Fellaini and Ashley Young are four players van Gaal is keen to cash-in on.

The only potential obstacle to a successful move for Vidal could come from PSG, who are also said to be keen on the Juventus man.

yinyang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The jury's still out on LVG. Interesting comparison vs DM

Man Utd: Louis van Gaal & David Moyes - how they differ
BBC sport By Simon Stone in Los Angeles

It is the beach trips that sum up the difference between Louis van Gaal and David Moyes.

For Moyes, a training session this time last year on Sydney's Bondi Beach midway through a week-long pre-season tour ended with Manchester United seeking refuge after word spread of United's presence on one of the world's most famous beaches. It became impossible for the session to continue.

For his replacement Van Gaal, it was a means to an end, directing the team bus half an hour out of its way - towards Santa Monica instead of straight to the hotel - after a 12-hour flight from Manchester to Los Angeles. This, he reasoned, would get the lactic acid out of his players' legs and ensure they were better prepared for the following day's training.

Two men, two beaches, two very different outcomes.

One seemed to underestimate the scale of interest in the club he had been appointed to manage, not thinking that the team's presence would attract scores of onlookers. The other was clear in his vision - he set out to accomplish a task and did exactly that.

Play mediaJump media playerMedia player helpOut of media player. Press enter to return or tab to continue.

Van Gaal on tactics and Ferguson
It is obvious there are aspects of Manchester United's pre-season tour of the United States that Van Gaal, vastly experienced at the highest level following stints in charge of Ajax, Barcelona, Bayern Munich and the Netherlands, would never have sanctioned had he been in place when they were arranged.

"You have to travel distances, you have to fly a lot, you also have jetlag - that is not very positive for a good preparation," he said.

Assistant manager Ryan Giggs signed off the tour schedule, although the Welshman did not arrange it.

Even the daily trip from their Beverly Hills hotel to the LA Galaxy training base 25 miles away in Carson took an hour.

Once there, the facilities were excellent, but then so were the ones Real Madrid used at the University of California - and that was only a mile from Beverly Hills, where the European champions were also staying. Distances are important in Los Angeles, where traffic is so dense.

The excessive travelling lay at the heart of Van Gaal's criticism of the club's touring schedule, which he voiced in public twice within a week of reporting for his first day as Manchester United manager on 16 July.

On neither occasion did he inform the man responsible for appointing him, executive vice-chairman Ed Woodward, or his commercial team that he was about to air his grievances in a forum that would ensure they were transmitted around the world.

Moyes, who sometimes appeared ill at ease in front of the cameras, tended to confide in a select few. Van Gaal, knowing the likely impact, told everyone.

No-one can be sure how the next 10 months will pan out for the 62-year-old, but there is a certainty about the Dutchman, an inner confidence which gives rise to renewed optimism among fans who have just witnessed United's worst league campaign in 24 years.

Manchester United pre-season tour

Wed, 23 Jul v Los Angeles Galaxy
LA Galaxy 0-7 Man Utd

Sat, 26 Jul v AS Roma (Denver)
Man Utd 3-2 Roma

Wed, 30 Jul v Inter Milan (Washington)
Utd won 5-3 on pens (0-0 after 90 mins)

Sat, 2 Aug v Real Madrid (Michigan)

Mon, 4 Aug v International Champions Cup final (Miami)

"We need to have a strong manager to have a strong club," said fan Paul Brane, from Stevenage - one of the hardy souls who, recognising there will be no European football at Old Trafford in the coming campaign, travelled to Denver to see his team overcome AS Roma in the second match of the tour.

"Twelve months ago I was prepared to give David Moyes every chance. But, looking back, he should never have been appointed.

"He is a decent man by all accounts, but as manager of Manchester United, he was clearly out of his depth."

Van Gaal is not. He has stated his opinion that Manchester United are the biggest club in the world.

Van Gaal vents over Man Utd schedule
However, as he also points out, he has been in charge of "the number one side in Holland" - Ajax, "the number one side in Spain" - Barcelona, and "the number one side in Germany" - Bayern Munich. And that is without mentioning his two stints in charge of the Netherlands whom he led to third place at the 2014 World Cup in Brazil.

There is an aura about him that exudes authority.

As is normal in such situations, the non-playing members of United's squad did a running session after the 3-2 win over AS Roma.

Under the watchful eye of fitness coach Tony Strudwick, a group made up of Anders Lindegaard, Darren Fletcher, Javier Hernandez and Wilfried Zaha pushed themselves through a series of shuttle runs and sprints.

United in training on their pre-season tour of the United States
Within half an hour, they were heading back to the changing rooms for a shower. A couple of minutes later they were out again, sent to the gym for more work that lasted an additional 15 minutes.

Those concerned were clearly surprised at this addition to their workload. At least one looked annoyed, but no-one challenged Van Gaal's authority.

"With my direct character, I say things as they are," he said. "It can be good and it can also be worse."

United's players have already had an insight into their manager's approach. Though a joviality is often present, he rounds on anyone not carrying out their duties to his satisfaction.

In an open training session ahead of that first game in LA, Chris Smalling and Fletcher were among those singled out for the most forceful of demands - why, Van Gaal wanted to know, were they not looking at the ball when executing their shooting practice?

And goalkeeper Ben Amos was unlikely to be feeling good about himself in the dressing room following the Roma game.

He had just suffered the embarrassment of conceding a goal from 60 yards, struck by Miralem Pjanic, that went straight over his head and into the net without bouncing.

If he was looking for a lift from his manager, he did not get it.

"In four seconds I can run 50 metres, so what do you think?" said Van Gaal when asked if Amos was at fault.

Javier Hernandez is one of the players who faces an uncertain future under Louis van Gaal. That no-nonsense approach will help him in one aspect of the job - reducing the size of a squad that, by common consensus at United, was too big last season.

There have been departures - Nemanja Vidic, Rio Ferdinand, Ryan Giggs and Patrice Evra among the most notable - but this year there are no midweek Champions League nights to offer Van Gaal scope to switch his team around.

He has said he will spend a couple of weeks assessing his squad before deciding who he needs - and who can be jettisoned.

It is evident he has too many forwards, and Shinji Kagawa and Javier Hernandez would seem most vulnerable.

"We have four number 10s, so it is not balanced in my eyes," he said last week.

His midfield and central defence have been questioned. New signing Luke Shaw has been training on his own because Van Gaal thinks the 19-year-old is not fit enough.

And what of Marouane Fellaini, Moyes' only signing of last summer? A move to Napoli has been suggested for the Belgian, although United sources say there has been no contact.

Van Gaal, who is unlikely to get his way over his dislike of long-distance travelling for tours because of the commercial benefits to the club, will be allowed to do it his way when it comes to the playing squad.

One aspect of managing Manchester United which undermined Moyes towards the end of his time at Old Trafford, was the fact his words tended to be dissected to highlight signs of weakness.

There was scorn from some fans when they heard the Scot admit old rivals Liverpool were favourites for a game at Old Trafford. It was the kind of statement that might even be true, but saying it seemed to be a step too far for the supporters.

By the end, they were sick of hearing United would "try their best" to win matches. "What was all that about?" said Brane. "Everton might try. Manchester United don't try, they do it."

Van Gaal should have no such problems. If he suffers from insecurity, he does a pretty good job of disguising it.

Before the World Cup, as speculation about his appointment grew, he called one English reporter "stupid" for asking what he felt was a ridiculous question.

And in his first United news conference he cut down another in equally forthright manner for putting forward a question he believed had already been answered.

"You know that, why do you ask?" came the reply.

But perhaps the most telling difference between Van Gaal and Moyes was hidden away in the small print.

A 16-minute interview he gave to a couple of members of the broadcast media ran to 1,180 words.

The word "try" was not used once.

Fellaini

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Louis Van Gaal's 'spy cameras' track Manchester United stars' every move in training, reveals Jonny Evans

These are changing times at Old Trafford and defender highlights manager's attention to detail with every player movement in training now under video scrutiny

louis-vangaal2_2992954b.jpg

Adjustment: Louis van Gaal has warned it could take up to three months for his players to become fully comfortable with his methods Photo: ACTION IMAGES

By Mark Ogden, Northern Football Correspondent, in Detroit
10:30PM BST 31 Jul 2014

Jonny Evans has revealed the full extent of Louis van Gaal’s attention to detail at Manchester United, claiming the new manager has adopted a Big Brother approach to training involving camera surveillance of every movement on the pitch.

Van Gaal, who officially began work as United manager two weeks ago, is attempting to accelerate the team’s adjustment to a 3-4-1-2 formation during the pre-season tour of the United States, which continues against Real Madrid in front of a 109,000 crowd in Ann Arbor, Michigan, on Saturday.

The former Holland coach has also introduced changes behind the scenes, from training times to the squad’s dining arrangements and the overhauling of pitches at the club’s Carrington base.

But with United ploughing around £3 million into Van Gaal’s planned improvements at Carrington, centre-half Evans admits the biggest surprise has been the cameras that have been positioned alongside the training pitches.

“I think it is a lot more detailed at the training ground now,” he said. “They have spent thousands on it and a few of the lads have seen HD cameras around the pitch. We have this camera system where he [Van Gaal] can watch us on the pitch. I think a lot of teams use it, but we are looking into it in quite a lot of detail.

“He is saying things like, ‘You should be five yards to the right’ after watching the footage and we are able to see things that are happening live on the pitch. We went through a video recently and I was 10 yards out of position. There are things you are doing on the pitch, and the whole team will be feeling the same, and you are thinking, ‘Am I in the right position?’ Then he will show you in the video and you will know”

Van Gaal has warned it could take up to three months for his players to become fully comfortable with his methods having introduced new training drills and dispensed with the back four formation that United have used for more than two decades.

“He said the same to us, ‘You will find it hard’,” Evans said. “He said we would find it hard mentally because he wants us all to push ourselves to the limit. That is what it feels like. We are all going to bed and sleeping well anyway. But that is the standard he has set for us. There are a lot of fine details that we all have to stick to, but I think what it does is give everyone a comfort zone because we all know that is the standard.

“It is everything from the clothes you wear to the time you have a meal and everyone eating together.”

At 26, Evans, the Northern Ireland international, admits he must emerge as a senior figure under Van Gaal having been regarded as a young prospect alongside the likes of Nemanja Vidic and Rio Ferdinand. With the two long-serving defenders leaving United this summer, Evans faces the dual challenge of adapting to a new system and proving his worth to the new manager, but he insists he is ready to grasp his chance.

“If you look at Nemanja, he didn’t join us until he was 25 or 26,” Evans said. “That’s the same age as me now, but for the last six or seven years it has not been a case of not wanting to step up. The aim is always to be the best that you can. I have benefited from playing with Rio and Nemanja, and Wes Brown before that. I have learnt a lot throughout my career and it is a big time in my career now.

“But as for the new system, people get obsessed with formations, over whether it is a three or a five, but the philosophy stays the same when you are playing out from the back. A lot of teams have three at the back with two full-backs going high and that’s how they play out. When they defend, an extra midfielder will come deeper and play in front of a back four.

“It is just about fine tuning and once you catch on to things, you understand it. It is different, but the good thing is the manager has taken time with us and not just thrown us into a system.”

Twelve months ago, United prepared for a new campaign following another change of manager, with David Moyes replacing Sir Alex Ferguson, and the optimism at that time was similar to that being expressed under Van Gaal.

Moyes was unable to sustain the feel-good factor, with United enduring a nightmare campaign, and Evans admits a determination to right the wrongs of last season.

“Louis van Gaal’s record does demand respect but David Moyes got a lot of respect from the lads and we treated him exactly the same way as when Louis van Gaal came in. I’m not sure why it went wrong. But people are now saying Manchester United can’t win the league, so that is a big motivation to us.”

yinyang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Manchester United: Champions League warning for Red Devils
By Mike Keegan BBC Sport

Manchester United's world record £750m kit deal with Adidas will be cut by 30% if they fail to qualify for the Champions League in consecutive seasons from 2015-16.

The German sportswear giant could also cancel the contract if the club get relegated from the Premier League.

United failed to qualify for any of the European competitions this season after finishing seventh in 2013-14.

They will want a big improvement under new manager Louis van Gaal, 62.

Van Gaal was appointed Red Devils boss as successor to David Moyes earlier this summer.

Details of the deal with Adidas, which was announced earlier this month, emerged after United offered more of their shares on the New York Stock Exchange.

United floated 10% of the club on the New York Stock Exchange in 2012. United announced on Wednesday that they would sell eight million shares, around 5% of the business, after selling 10% in 2012.

About $150m (£88.7m) will be raised with money going to the Glazer family, the club's US owners.

United have also been warned that interest rates on part of their £351.7m debt may rise.

A prospectus reveals that the deal with Adidas features a number of conditions.

Failure to qualify for the Champions League in consecutive seasons from 2015-16, when the contract begins, would see payments cut by nearly one third.

However, United could benefit from an extra £4m per year if they win the Premier League, Champions League or FA Cup.

Should the club be relegated from the Premier League, the manufacturer can give 12 months' notice to terminate the contract and reduce payments in half for every season spent outside the top flight.

The shares offering comes two months after the death of owner Malcolm Glazer. His six children control the club and will retain more than an 80% stake.

In 2005, the Glazer family paid £790m for United, borrowing £500m and paying the remainder in cash.

yinyang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Manchester United defeat Real Madrid 3-1 in front of record crowd

Manchester United defeated European champions Real Madrid 3-1 in front of a record US crowd of 109,318 in Michigan.

Two goals from Ashley Young and one from Javier Hernandez secured new United manager Louis van Gaal his fourth win of the US summer tour.

Gareth Bale's penalty was all Real could muster in reply, even after the second-half introduction of former United star Cristiano Ronaldo.

United now face Liverpool in Monday's International Champions Cup final. Van Gaal has presided over wins against the Los Angles Galaxy, Roma and Inter Milan in the United States.

United will now meet their great English rivals, who qualified for the final after Manchester City lost 5-4 on penalties to Olympiakos following a 2-2 draw in Minneapolis, in Miami.

The University of Michigan's stadium played host to the largest ever crowd at a football match in the US
Real's starting line-up at the Michigan Stadium in Ann Arbor was missing not only Ronaldo but also new signings Toni Kroos and James Rodriguez.

But the likes of Bale, Luka Modric and Xabi Alonso were on show in front of the largest ever attendance for a football match in the United States.

Young opened the scoring after 21 minutes but Carlo Ancelotti's Real were level six minutes later when Michael Keane climbed on Bale in the area and the Wales international tucked away the resulting spot-kick. United regained the lead on 37 minutes when Young's cross drifted over the head of Iker Casillas.

Ronaldo's introduction against his former team with 17 minutes remaining grabbed the attention of the huge crowd, but United sealed victory moments later as Hernandez made it three.

The previous record attendance for a football match in the United States was 101,799 for the 1984 Olympic final, when France beat Brazil 2-0 at the Rose Bowl in California.

Manchester United: De Gea, M Keane, Jones, Evans (Blackett 46), Valencia (Lingard 62), Herrera (Cleverley 46), Fletcher, Young (Shaw 46); Mata (Kagawa 62), Rooney (Hernandez 62), Welbeck (Zaha 41).

Real Madrid: Casillas; Ramos, Pepe, Nacho, Arbeloa (Ronaldo 74), Illarmendi, Alonso (De Tomas 56), Carvajal, Modric, Bale, Isco.

Last edited:

yinyang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Going, soon to be gone for Hernandez and Kagawa to AM?

Atlético want Manchester United’s Javier Hernández and Shinji Kagawa• Manchester United pair would bring in £25m
• Louis van Gaal keen to trim his squad
The Guardian, Monday 4 August 2014 22.30 BST

Louis van Gaal’s attempts to rebuild Manchester United’s squad are likely to be accelerated this week, with Atlético Madrid ready to launch a bid to sign Javier Hernández and Shinji Kagawa.

United finished off their pre-season tour of the United States with a match against Liverpool at the Sun Life Stadium and Van Gaal has indicated key decisions on who will remain at Old Trafford are to be made in the next seven days.

While doubts remain over Marouane Fellaini, Nani and Anderson, all of whom had hugely difficult seasons playing for David Moyes last time round, the resolution of Hernández’s and Kagawa’s futures look more clear-cut.

Both players have been on the fringes in the past two weeks and Atlético, the La Liga winners and Champions League runners-up, are looking to rebuild their squad after losing Diego Costa and Filipe Luís to Chelsea. Defender Javier Manquillo is also poised to join Liverpool and the manager, Diego Simeone, wants Kagawa and Hernández in a deal which would total in excess of £25m.

Kagawa knows his opportunities are very limited after being told by Van Gaal that given his new 3-5-2 system, unless the 25 year-old wants to play out wide – a position which does not suit him – he may not have a future at Old Trafford. The Japanese wants to play as a No10 – a role which Van Gaal would prefer to fill with one of Wayne Rooney, Juan Mata or the Belgian teenager Adnan Januzaj.

Kagawa’s former club, Borussia Dortmund, had shown an appetite to bring him back to Germany after he made only 14 Premier League starts last season, but their interest is believed to have cooled.

Hernández is also preparing to be told his future lies elsewhere with Rooney, Robin van Persie and Danny Welbeck all believed to be ahead of the Mexico striker when it comes to Van Gaal’s striking options. The 26-year-old started only six times in the Premier League for United last season and Simeone is keen to fill the gaps at Atlético left by the departures of David Villa and Costa, despite the arrival of Mario Mandzukic and Antoine Griezmann.

The situation with Fellaini, who struggled so badly after arriving from Everton for £28m, is more complex. He will return to United’s Carrington base after some impressive displays for Belgium at the World Cup and is wanted by Rafael Benítez at Napoli. The Serie A club cannot afford either his wages or a transfer fee and would like a loan, something which does not appeal to United. The midfielder is nervously awaiting Van Gaal’s verdict before deciding on his next move.

“I shall make judgments after this tour,” Van Gaal said. “I let all the players play and I know now more than before the tour. Now also it is a little bit soon to judge but in football you have to judge. You have to give a chance to the player to make a transfer when I see that his prospects to play are not so high. You have to say it in advance because it’s too late after 31 August. I will tell players after the tour but to them not to you [reporters].”

Naturally in Miami, where there is a huge football-loving Hispanic community, there is great focus on Hernández yet Van Gaal, tellingly, was unwilling to be drawn when asked about the striker’s qualities and future at United.

“I think the striker has the biggest chance to score so that it is not the reason why a player plays,” he said. “We are playing like a team and the team scores. I don’t make individual evaluations because we are playing with a team not individual players. When I say something about an individual specifically, always my words shall be translated differently.”

Fellaini, together with Januzaj and Van Persie, were all given added time off following their exploits at the World Cup and remain doubtful for the start of the season. “I have to look at Robin van Persie when he comes back,” Van Gaal added. “But if you have three weeks’ holiday and only four days’ training before the friendly versus Valencia next Tuesday, you are not fit enough. For the first game in the Premier League it’s possible to play, but I don’t think so.”

yinyang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
We beat the scousers in the final (US tour). No bite? :p

Manchester United ended their US pre-season tour on a high note on Monday (August 5), rallying for a 3-1 triumph over English Premier League rivals Liverpool.

Final at Sun Life Stadium on August 4, 2014 in Miami Gardens, Florida. Manchester United ended their US pre-season tour on a high note on Monday (August 4), rallying for a 3-1 triumph over English Premier League rivals Liverpool.

In the final of the International Champions Cup friendly tournament, Louis van Gaal's men overturned an early Steven Gerrard penalty -- the third spot-kick United have conceded on tour -- to claim victory through second-half goals from Wayne Rooney, Juan Mata and Jesse Lingard.

Brendan Rodgers' Liverpool, at the end of their own pre-season tour of the United States, provided easily the biggest test of United's pre-season so far as the old foes clashed before 51,104 fans at Sun Life Stadium, home of the NFL's Miami Dolphins. United were perhaps less sharp than in their previous matches on the tour, but improved in the second half and head home with five victories from five matches under new manager van Gaal.

Van Gaal, tapped more than two months ago to replace the sacked David Moyes at Manchester United, took the reins only after guiding the Netherlands to a third-place finish at the World Cup.

Although the gruff Dutchman was pleased with Monday's victory, he was already focused firmly on August 16 and Swansea's visit to Old Trafford in their Premier League opener. "It's nice for the fans in the USA and also at home that we beat Liverpool," he said. "I think we gave a lot of pleasure to the fans and that's very important. Of course, it's better to win than to lose in pre-season, but the most important game is against Swansea City. That's the one we have to win."

Rooney captained Manchester United for the first time on the tour. And after Gerrard beat David De Gea from the penalty spot in the 14th minute-- after Raheem Sterling drew a challenge from Phil Jones, it was Rooney who grabbed the equalizer in the 55th. Javier Hernandez flew down the right and sent in a cross that Rooney fired past Simon Mignolet.

Two minutes later, Luke Shaw's pass found Mata, who beat Mignolet with a low shot to put United up 2-1. Rooney was also involved in a brief controversy that flared in the 65th minute. A long range shot from United's Ashley Young bounced back into play off the goal frame and Rooney poked the ball home, only for officials to belatedly disallow the goal when they realized the ball had been out of play on the net behind the goal. Lingard completed the scoring in the 88th, blasting Young's pass past Mignolet.

A DERSERVED WIN
"It's obviously great to win the game and win the tournament," Rooney said. "We've worked hard in the pre-season. Today in the first half Liverpool were the better team. We were poor, we didn't move the ball quick enough. We knew we had to put that right. The second half we came out and played very well and deserved the win."

While Liverpool were unable to put a final gloss to their campaign in the International Champions Cup, which featured eight top European clubs preparing for their domestic campaigns, Rodgers was pleased overall with his side's North American tour. "I thought it was an excellent run-out for us," he said. "Obviously we're disappointed to lose the game, but it's been a great trip for us. We did have a spell where we gave away two quick goals, but up until that point I thought we were very good. Overall, it's been an excellent tour for us in our quest to get fit."

yinyang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Manchester United boss Louis Van Gaal reveals Juan Cuadrado price hike fears
LOUIS VAN GAAL has dropped a big hint that Manchester United are looking to beat Barcelona to Fiorentina star Juan Cuadrado but also fears his price could rise higher this summer

Daily Star By Gary Jones / Published 5th August 2014

WANTED: Fiorentina ace Juan Cuadrado is wanted by Manchester United and Barcelona

53e109aac5734_JuanCuadrado.jpg

The fallen Premier League giants are understood to have offered a deal worth around £29m for the Colombia international, with Fiorentina now willing to negotiate a deal after becoming resigned to losing the forward this summer.

Barcelona are reportedly interested in beating United to the 26-year-old but face stiff competition from United who are busy rebuilding after a disastrous 2013/14 campaign.

Louis Van Gaal has already splashed out £60m on Ander Herrera and Luke Shaw this summer and is on course to break the £100m barrier if he succeeds in landing all his summer transfer targets.

The Red Devils and the Catalan giants are both willing to offer the World Cup star more money than his current club, who had hoped to offer him a bumper new deal to ward off foreign interest.

And speaking after United's 3-1 Champions Cup victory over Liverpool, Van Gaal admitted he wanted to avoid questions about Cuadrado as it could increase the price needed to secure his services from the Viola.

Talking to journalists he said: "I cannot talk about Cuadrado, because if I say something about him the price will rise."

yinyang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Thomas Vermaelen could go to Man Utd and if he does he WILL be replaced - Arsene Wenger

WengerWenger has admitted there is a distinct possibility that Thomas Vermaelen could join Manchester United.

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/fo...td-and-if-he-does-he-WILL-be-replaced-Arsene-

Man-United-to-battle-with-Barcelona-for-Arsenal-captain-Thomas-Vermaelen

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/393058/EXCLUSIVE

United have turned to the unsettled Arsenal defender after failing to agree a fee for World Cup winner Mats Hummels.

But the Old Trafford outfit will have to fend-off strong interest from Barca if boss Louis van Gaal is to land Vermaelen.

The Spanish giants are poised to make a £10m bid for the Belgium international, who wants to leave the Gunners due to lack of game time.

But United's failure to land Borussia Dortmund star Hummels has piled the pressure on chief executive Ed Woodward to land an alternative.

Van Gaal is desperate to strengthen the centre of his defence following the departures of Rio Ferdinand and Nemanja Vidic.

It seems United are prepared to outbid Barca for Vermaelen and offer him bigger wages than the Spaniards.

Mu7.jpg