• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Manchester United 2014-2015

yinyang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
LVG is too arrogant to say that Welbeck is "not up to MU std".
...means to say that MU is above the Eng squad; where Welbeck scored 2 goals.

DW did good for England's brace vs Swiss. Imho, at club level he's out of contention with new Gaal-acticos. And some sympathy by pundits fact he's a Mancunian.

Think LVG said he didn't score enough goals with red devils, and reality he was not excluded from culling.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/29164940

On Gunners paying gbp16mil, see Wenger's cryptic response on loan option (if he was around) :p

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/fo...have-taken-Danny-Welbeck-on-loan-from-Man-Utd

yinyang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Light hearted (and self-deprecation by Rednapp) on QPR's long 194km coach ride back to London yesterday. :p

QPR face 194-mile coach journey back to London as Harry Redknapp blames Manchester United fans heading back to London for lack of space on the trains Rangers took the train to Manchester to face Louis van Gaal's side
Club were unable to book a carriage for the way home
Harry Redknapp jokes that 'half the United fans' travelling to London

By Jonny Singer for MailOnline
Published: 12:35 GMT, 14 September 2014 | Updated: 15:03 GMT, 14 September 2014

QPR face a 194-mile coach journey back to West London after their game against Manchester United on Sunday, because they were unable to book out a train carriage for the return journey.

The club travelled up by train for the Premier League clash, but couldn't get the space for the way home.

And manager Harry Redknapp joked that it was because of too many Manchester United fans who live in London filling up the trains. Opposing supporters often mock Manchester United's fans with claims that they commute from London

Harry Redknapp said that his side were unable to book a train carriage for themselves for the way home

'We couldn’t get a carriage to ourselves, there’s no room,' Redknapp told The Sun. 'The problem is half the United fans will be heading back to London, too.'

The club's vice-chairman Amit Bhatia had no travel problems as he posed outside Old Trafford with Sportsmail columnist Jamie Redknapp and former England cricketer Kevin Pietersen.

Bhatia tweeted: Arrived in Manchester to watch @QPRFC vs @Manutd. Excited for today, come on urrrsssss. If we get a point #drinksonme'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...g-London-lack-space-trains.html#ixzz3DMyxVJGi

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
LVG is too arrogant to say that Welbeck is "not up to MU std".

I other words that means to say that MU is above the Eng squad; where Welbeck scored 2 goals.

Welbeck has potential. Young players are like the seed of a plant, you plant it, nurture it, give it a little time and it may bear fruit.

Man United does not have time. It is a publicly listed stock on the NYSE. It is losing lots of money by not making the CL. Hence it needs results now, not two or three seasons later.

Real Madrid was quite stupid to see Di Maria, now you can see how it has struggled. There are some jokes that say Di Maria is not handsome enough for the Real Madrid team photo, that's why he was sold. :biggrin:

Samaras

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Van Gaal tells Manchester United chiefs to buy Hummels
Louis van Gaal has told Manchester United chiefs they must sign Borussia Dortmund defender Mats Hummels. The Dutchman has told the Red Devils to make the Bundesliga side an offer they can't refuse.
Source: Daily Star

Ronaldo wants €625k a week to leave Madrid
Cristiano Ronaldo wants €625,000-a-week to join either Chelsea or Manchester United from Real Madrid next summer.
Source: Mail on Sunday

Man Utd to offer Mata to Roma

Manchester United will offer Juan Mata to Roma in their deal for Kevin Strootman.
Source: Sunday People

Wenger

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hopefully Man Yoo get a spot to play CL.... but your owners the Glaziers expects LVG to win the premier league trophy after having spent a fortune on transfers hahahaha

yinyang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Big talk by Pep G :p

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2758081/Manchester-United-afford-players-says-Pep-Guardiola.html

Manchester United cannot afford my players and their fall from grace is a lesson to all big European clubs, says Pep Guardiola
-Bayern Munich boss Pep Guardiola has warned Louis van Gaal he cannot afford his players
-Manchester United spent over £150million during the summer
-Van Gaal forked out £60m on Real Madrid superstar Angel di Maria
-Germany ace Thomas Muller claims he rejected a move to Old Trafford

Bayern Munich manager Pep Guardiola has warned Manchester United they can't afford his best players and claimed the likes of Arjen Robben, Bastian Schweinsteiger and Thomas Muller don't want to leave for the Barclays Premier League anyway.

United manager Louis van Gaal had the three Bayern stars on his initial hit list at Old Trafford but summer moves for the trio never really got off the ground. Asked this afternoon if he had to say no to Van Gaal, Guardiola nodded and said: 'They [United] didn't have enough money.

Pep Guardiola has warned Manchester United boss Louis van Gaal he cannot afford his top players. The Bayern boss has issued a hands off warning to Manchester United regarding his star players. Pep Guardiola has said Manchester United didn't have enough money to buy Bayern's top players

Pep Guardiola: Manchester United cannot afford my players Thomas Muller has claimed he rejected a summer move to Manchester United during the summer. Bayern Munich are currently preparing for their Champions League encounter against Manchester City

Louis van Gaal forked out a vast amount of money on the likes of Argentina's Angel di Maria and Marcos Rojo. Manchester United new boy Angel di Maria became the club's record signing at £60million

Pep Guardiola insists the likes of Arjen Robben and Thomas Muller would reject moves to Manchester United. Bastian Schweinsteiger was also said to be attracting interest from Manchester United boss Louis van Gaal

Pep Guardiola beat Louis van Gaal to the signing of Moroccan centre back Mehdi Benatia. Bayern Munich boss Pep Guardiola played under Louis van Gaal during his time as a player at Barcelona

Pep Guardiola believes United's rivals Manchester City are capable of winning the Champions League. Toni Kroos was also a target for Manchester United until he decided to join Spanish giants Real Madrid

'I saw they spent a lot of money. It’s good for my friend Louis. It’s part of the game. 'All of the clubs in the world want the players of anther club. It depends on the player. If the player wants to play he will play. If he wants to stay he will stay.'

Asked for his views on United’s failure to play in the Champions League this season, Guardiola added: 'It’s a good lesson for the big clubs.
'They think: ‘We are unbeatable and strong’ and they are not here. Maybe the next season they are out.
'That’s why football is magnificent.
'Every single week you have to be ready. Every week you have got to show you are ready.'

yinyang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Young star, scored hatrick on mon for under 21 :p

Adnan Januzaj determined to win over Louis van Gaal and become a Man Utd star
Adnan Januzaj scored a hat-trick for Manchester United Under 21s against Sunderland on Monday
Louis van Gaal has not started the Belgian in a single game this season
Januzaj played just eight minutes of United's 4-0 win against QPR

The 19-year-old is eager to prove himself to the new manager

By Charlie Eccleshare for MailOnline
Published: 14:34 GMT, 16 September 2014 | Updated: 15:33 GMT, 16 September 2014

Adnan Januzaj is willing to play for the Manchester United youth sides for as long as it takes to impress new manager Louis van Gaal.
The young Belgian scored a hat-trick for United's Under 21s on Monday but has not started a competitive game for the senior side since Van Gaal took charge.

The 19-year-old remains hopeful however that his application will lead to him becoming a first-team regular soon. Adnan Januzaj scores his third for Manchester United's Under 21s against Sunderland on Monday.

1410813588892_wps_12_Manchester_United_s_U21_A.jpg

Louis van Gaal was in the stands at Old Trafford to see the Belgian's hat-trick for United's 21s

1410812822623_wps_8_Manchester_United_manager.jpg

Januzaj was only given eight minutes as a substitute against Queens Park Rangers on Sunday.

Januzaj told MUTV: 'I played a lot of games last season and I'm trying to impress the manager once again and get games again this year as well.
'I tried to do my best. Obviously, even if it's reserves level, I always have to show myself and improve. I got a hat-trick but I think I worked hard defensively as well and these are the kind of things I have to do now and at first-team level.

'I don't do for it for any other people but for myself. I look after my [performance]. Even if I have to play Under 18s, I have to do it and try to improve every time I play.'

The youngster burst onto the scene last season with a stunning double away at Sunderland. Januzaj has found his first-team opportunites limited by the arival of established stars like Angel Di Maria

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...aal-Manchester-United-star.html#ixzz3DX080LMw

Gallego99

Alfrescian
Loyal

[B

What Adnan has to show is consistency and maturity. It will come with more playing time. His performance last Sunday suggest that he's trying to hard to impress LVG. He had an opportunity to show these qualities but instead took a glory seeking shot at goal when it would have been better off passing to an open RVP or Falcao. Poor decision making. If he continues with this self serving attitude, I dun think LVG would want him in the first eleven.

Last edited:

khunking

Alfrescian
Loyal
Adnan Januzaj determined to win over Louis van Gaal and become a Man Utd star

Januzaj could well be Man U's new Ryan Giggs but sadly overlooked by a hypocrite who said he would be promoting youth talent.

yinyang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Radamel Falcao, Juan Mata and Marcos Rojo shown up by mysterious free-styling ‘Red Samurai’
Bill Giles, Wednesday 17 Sep 2014 12:05 pm

Manchester United stars Radamel Falcao, Juan Mata and Marcos Rojo have been taught a lesson in freestyling – by a mysterious Samurai.

The ‘Red Samurai’ turned up at United’s Carrington training complex before laying down the gauntlet to the trio with an impressive set of tricks.

Falcao, Mata and Rojo just aren’t able to match the Samurai’s freestyling ability, despite that the fact that he’s kitted out in full 12th-century Japanese armour, and is wearing what appear to be a pair of pretty bog-standard trainers.

We’re not sure where this guy has come from, but hopefully his appearance means this advert’s going to get a sequel.

[video=youtube;5t_fJCOVyN8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5t_fJCOVyN8&feature=player_embedded[/video]

yinyang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Tomorrow how, not kena outfoxed away?:p Match preview

Barclays Premier League
Venue: King Power StadiumDate: Sunday, 21 September

TEAM NEWS
Leicester City pair Kasper Schmeichel and Matty James should be fit to face Manchester United after overcoming respective knee and shin injuries.

Deadline day signing Tom Lawrence could be involved against his former club, but Nick Powell is ineligible under the terms of his loan from Old Trafford.

Luke Shaw could make his Manchester United debut after returning from a hamstring injury while Chris Smalling has recovered from a groin problem.

Radamel Falcao awaits his first start.

MATCH PREVIEW
Manchester United's £150m summer spending spree was designed to restore the club's X-factor, but they will need to guard against the ex-factor when they visit the King Power Stadium.

Eight of United's former players are on Leicester's books, with five having joined this summer: Tom Lawrence, Danny Simpson, Jack Barmby, Louis Rowley and Nick Powell, who is ineligible on Sunday under the terms of his season-long loan.

Ritchie de Laet, Danny Drinkwater and Matty James had all previously signed from the 20-time league champions and are likely to be involved against their former employers.

They will no doubt be motivated by the desire to prove their worth against the club that let them go but, in truth, they would struggle to get any playing time in this expensively-assembled new-look Manchester United side.

Lawro's prediction
Manchester United won easily against QPR last weekend but I don't think they will find it so straightforward against the Foxes. Leicester have a bit more of a swagger about them at the moment and they have more pace than United in the wide areas. Nigel Pearson's side play at a high tempo and will have a real go at United - far more than QPR did.

United unleashed five of their six major summer recruits in the 4-0 dismantling of QPR last week, which gave new boss Louis van Gaal his first competitive win in charge.

British transfer record signing Angel Di Maria, in particular, sparkled in the midfield diamond, and it will be interesting to see if van Gaal will keep faith in that system or revert to the three-man defence which he prefers but his players seemingly do not.

Leicester, like United, won at the fourth time of asking last weekend. They have every reason to be more satisfied with their start than United though, having already faced three of last season's top five.

The newly-promoted side have also spent a club record fee on an Argentine: Leonardo Ulloa's three goals so far make him good value for money already at £8m. With Ulloa's illustrious compatriot Esteban Cambiasso expected to start for the first time in Leicester's midfield, it's clear the Foxes have more to their armoury than just United's plethora of former players.

MATCH FACTS
Head-to-head

•Manchester United have won the last nine successive Premier League meetings and are unbeaten in 10 since Tony Cottee's goal gave Leicester a 1-0 victory at Old Trafford in January 1998.
•Leicester have only scored one goal in their last eight Premier League matches against Manchester United.
•The Foxes last won this fixture at home in November 1985. In the subsequent nine meetings, they have drawn three and lost six, including the last five in a row.

Leicester City
•Newly-promoted Leicester won their first league game of the season at the fourth time of asking against Stoke last weekend, having started the campaign against three of last season's top five clubs: Everton, Chelsea and Arsenal.
•They had the best home record in the Championship last season, winning 17 of their 23 matches and only losing twice.
•Their last Premier League home win came against Portsmouth in May 2004.
•Club record signing Leonardo Ulloa has scored three goals in his first four appearances for Leicester, including in both previous home matches.
•Nigel Pearson's only previous meeting against Manchester United as a manager was a 6-0 defeat while in caretaker charge of Newcastle in January 2008.

Manchester United
•United have gone four Premier League away games without a win (D3, L1); they last went five without a victory in September 2001.
•They have the season's highest average possession figure in the Premier League prior to this weekend of 62%; last season they were eighth.
•Louis van Gaal has already used a league-high 26 players this season.
•Wayne Rooney has scored 175 Premier League goals, putting him in joint-third place with Thierry Henry. Rooney has scored in both of his Premier League appearances against Leicester City.
•Juan Mata has scored eight goals in his last 10 league appearances for United.

DavidMoyes

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

1408198862268_wps_3_Manchester_United_manager.jpg

LVG : What's wrong with our defense today? Why like that???

Giggs : Oh it's a competition to see which team concedes more goals

yinyang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Louis van Gaal says Manchester United threw away win at Leicester

Manchester United manager Louis van Gaal said his team threw away victory as Leicester came back from a two-goal deficit to secure a remarkable 5-3 win.

United were 3-1 ahead with 30 minutes remaining before a controversial David Nugent penalty sparked a comeback.

Van Gaal said: "It is not good because we had the game in our pocket and gave it away. Not because of Leicester; we gave it away and I don't like that.

"We have too many players who want to seek for the goal."

The Dutchman refused to criticise referee Mark Clattenburg for not penalising Jamie Vardy for a barge on Rafael just outside the box moments before the Brazilian defender conceded the penalty which Nugent converted.

"For the first penalty it is always the referee [who you talk about] but you don't have to do that as a player," added the 63-year-old.

A day of historic first
The Foxes have scored five or more goals in a single Premier League game for the first time since March 2000, when they did so against Sunderland
Man Utd have conceded four or more league goals for the first time since May 2013 (when the opponents were West Brom)

It is the first time Man Utd have ever conceded four or more goals in a Premier League game against a newly-promoted team
This is the first time Leicester City have scored four or more goals against Man Utd in the league since April 1963

This is only the 14th time in Premier League history that Man Utd have conceded four or more goals in a game
It is the first time United have lost a Premier League game after having a two-goal lead

"You know you are in the penalty area and you allow the referee to whistle if you make a challenge. I don't know if it is a penalty but we have to look at ourselves because we made such big errors as a team."

Within two minutes of Leicester scoring their second, Esteban Cambiasso equalised and, in the final 10 minutes, Jamie Vardy put the Foxes ahead before a Leonardo Ulloa penalty made sure of victory.

"We didn't keep ball possession in the right way," said Van Gaal. "Leicester have already showed against Arsenal and Stoke that they can come back and they did it very well.

"Leicester had five shots on goal, and that was it. These five goals were existing because we made errors in ball possession.

"We created a lot of chances and made superb goals but you have to do that over 90 minutes, not 60 minutes. It was not enough. You have to kill the game and we didn't do that."

Leicester had scored just once in their previous eight Premier League matches against United
The former Barcelona and Bayern Munich coach refused to blame his defence for the defeat and instead put the responsibility on the team.

"You cannot say the defence was weak," he said. "You play like a team, Leicester showed that. We did not play like a team in the second half and that is not only defence. In a defensive situation the whole team is responsible, not just one defender."

But Van Gaal will need to urgently address his team's defensive issues for next Saturday's Premier League match against West Ham as he is likely to be without the suspended Tyler Blackett and the injured Jonny Evans.

Blackett was sent off for the foul on Vardy, which led to Ulloa's late spot-kick, and will be suspended on Saturday, while Van Gaal must await the result of a scan on Evans after the centre-back was forced from the field in the 30th minute and left the stadium on crutches.

"I don't know how bad it is," said Van Gaal of Evans's injury. "We will see tomorrow [Monday], he will probably have a scan."

yinyang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Post mortem :p

MOTD2 analysis - Man Utd let down by lack of defensive leader

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/29304926

MOTD2 pundit Danny Murphy expands on his TV analysis of Manchester United's defensive problems in their 5-3 defeat by Leicester City.

Manchester United conceded four goals in the space of 21 second-half minutes in their disastrous defeat by Leicester but it was not their collapse that concerned me the most - it was the fact they looked so vulnerable throughout the whole game.

What went so wrong? Well, United's defence lacked leadership, experience and quality. But if I criticise them, then it is also important that I point out they did not have much protection.

The balance of the team was all wrong. We already knew Louis van Gaal's squad was top-heavy with superb attacking talent but this game was the first time we have seen that it does not matter how dangerous they are going forward if they cannot defend.

At times, they were simply all over the place.

You cannot tell me that they did not have the better players - if you compared the two teams on paper, United should have won the game.

But, tactically, United were naïve.

That, on top of the inexperience of some of their players, combined to make them so bad at the back that, every time Leicester went forward in the second half, it felt like they could have scored.

Diamond offered United defence no protection
Leicester should never have got the penalty that led to their second goal, and that clearly ended up being a big boost for them. Even so, there is no excuse for United conceding three more.

Continue reading the main story
“If United want to challenge against the top sides then they have to look at changing their system or their personnel

They were still 3-2 up with less than half an hour remaining and, although they were under pressure, the game should still have been in their control. Instead, they were nervous.

When you are in that situation, leadership matters. I am talking about somebody at the back organising things - telling a couple of midfielders to sit in front of the defence and saying "stay there and don't move".

In the past, Rio Ferdinand and Nemanja Vidic have been that voice, but they have gone and not been replaced.

Instead, against Leicester, United had 20-year-old Tyler Blackett at the heart of their defence. He is learning his trade and was never going to provide that kind of authority.

When you are a young lad in a back four, you need help from all around you but because of the number of attack-minded players that United had on the pitch, that did not happen. The Leicester players were given far too much space.

I can understand why it happened, because it is hard for players who are forward-thinking to change their mentality and dig in. Too many of United's players have that mind-set.

If you look at United's formation, they again set up in the diamond they used in their win over QPR last weekend.

Average position of Man Utd players vs Leicester

Daley Blind was sitting in front of the defence but he was really the only one protecting it, because in front of him he had Angel Di Maria flying up the pitch, Ander Herrera who is also forward-thinking and then Wayne Rooney who was behind the two strikers.

Blind got lots of praise this week for the way he shielded the defence against QPR and set the tempo with his passing - but that was a completely different game where the opposition did not have a go at attacking United, or see very much of the ball. So the Dutchman did not have to defend very much.

This time, with the pace and energy of Leicester, plus the number of players they pushed forward, the game by-passed him a little bit.

Blind was trying his best and he is clearly a good player but, when you are isolated like he was, then playing as a holding midfielder is really tough. You just cannot cover the width of the pitch on your own.

United were left even more exposed when their full-backs, Marcos Rojo and Rafael, pushed up into Leicester's half, something they both tried to do.

Marcos Rojo's touches vs Leicester

Rojo is still adapting to the English game and I felt he struggled against the Foxes.

For the home side's fourth goal, he was caught out of position after pushing on past Juan Mata, who was then caught in possession, allowing Leicester to break and score.

Rojo had played a bad ball to Mata, who had a man arriving quickly to close him down, but my point is more that full-backs should not overlap unless their team are in safe possession.

It was a poor decision by the Argentina international, and it was not the only time it happened. Again, that comes down to inexperience.

United still in experimental stage
United play Chelsea and Manchester City in a few weeks and, when they do, Van Gaal could try again at being as open as his side were against Leicester.

Continue reading the main story
“From what we saw against Leicester, United have got a long way to go before they are challenging for the title again

But what happened against the Foxes showed how much of a gamble that would be.

If United want to challenge against the top sides then they have to look at changing their system or their personnel.

I am not sure they have other defenders in their squad who could make a massive difference because, if you look at the players missing on Sunday, you could really only argue that £27m summer signing Luke Shaw should be given a chance now, and that Phil Jones would play if he is fit. But that is it.

So a change in system is probably more realistic. We have already seen Van Gaal change from playing with three at the back, which is how he started the season, and he will continue to try to find the right balance with the players he has got.

Playing another holding midfielder would give the back four more protection but that gives him the problem of fitting in all of his big-name attackers. In the last two games we have seen how much quality they now have going forward.

Something has to give, though, otherwise this sort of defeat will happen again.

From what we saw against Leicester, United have got a long way to go before they are challenging for the title again, and it is going to be a scrap for them to get into the top four.

Fearless Foxes get their reward
I have spoken about how bad United were defensively but Leicester deserve credit too. They showed great energy and discipline and never sat back or gave up.

Just as he did against Arsenal and Everton, Foxes boss Nigel Pearson was brave enough to have a go against United, matched his team up to them man-to-man, and decided to let his full-backs go up against theirs.

It was bold, especially when they were 3-1 down, but it worked. They got the ball forward quickly in the channels for Jamie Vardy and Leonardo Ulloa, who caused United's defence all sorts of problems.

To try to cope with Leicester's front three, United's back four were crossing over each other so that their centre-halves were in the full-back position and vice-versa.

Average position of Leicester players vs Man Utd

Vardy epitomised what the whole Leicester side was about, with his display of commitment and passion.

I played against him a couple of seasons ago when he had just joined Leicester from Fleetwood and the thing I remembered about him was his relentless energy.

When I saw him on the team-sheet for the United game, I said, "he will not stop running" and he didn't.

The question mark over him was the same one you ask of all strikers who come from the lower leagues, which is whether he had the quality to score goals in the Premier League. Against United he proved that he does.

Jamie Vardy's touches vs Manchester United

Vardy again showed his brilliant work ethic but he had an end-product too, starting with the cross for Leicester's first goal.

Fairly or not, he used his strength to eventually get the penalty for their second goal, and won a second spot-kick too.

But his best moment was his goal, when he ran clear and showed great composure with a really calm finish against a top-quality keeper in David de Gea.

It is only three years since Vardy was playing for Halifax in the Northern Premier League and his progress to making his Premier League debut against United is a wonderful story.

To me, it looked like he had been playing at this level for years and, if he carries on playing with the same commitment, he is going to score a lot more goals.

Danny Murphy was speaking to BBC Sport's Chris Bevan.

Gallego99

Alfrescian
Loyal
What is missing is a good CD,DM and a goalkeeper. Can't see how De Gea can make it to the top. His performances over the years were patchy at best. He makes the most incredible saves at times but concede silly goals the next. Reminds me of Grobelaar and the other two Spanish national keepers. Can't recall if he made any decent saves against Leicester.

Smalling looks out of shape when he came on for Evans. LVG would do well if he cast aside Smalling, Jones and Evans for that central role. Evans cannot command the back 4, wilts under pressure, error prone and is a certified idiot. Smalling and Jones are the most injury prone players of recent times at United.

yinyang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Forgone conclusion on defensive frailties. Lousy rear needs to be boosted :rolleyes:

Jamie Carragher slams big-spending Manchester United for not signing a top defender in the transfer window
The Sky Sports pundit slams Manchester United for their inability to sign a top defender this summer despite spending £200million on new players
Carragher believes it was mis-management to not sign a top defender
United's defensive frailties were exposed as they surrendered a two-goal lead at 3-1 to lose 5-3 at Leicester on Sunday afternoon

By Sean Gallagher for MailOnline
Published: 15:36 GMT, 21 September 2014 | Updated: 22:41 GMT, 21 September 2014

Jamie Carragher has slammed Manchester United for their failure to bring in a top defender to the club during the summer transfer window despite being the top spenders in the Premier League.

Sportsmail's Carragher was working as a pundit for Sky Sports on the game between Leicester and Manchester United on Sunday, after the game airing his views on United's defensive frailties - clear for all to see during their 5-3 defeat against the Foxes.

Even after landing Luke Shaw and Marcos Rojo, the argument from Carragher is that United lack a commanding centre-half, despite spending over £200million on new additions. Jamie Carragher says it was mismanagement by Manchester United not to bring in a top defender

Carragher spoke honestly and passionately as he gave his thoughts on Manchester United's defence. Carragher said: 'Manchester United were the biggest spending team in the Premier League and haven't even bought a proper defender.

'To spend that much money and not bring in a top class defender is mis-management at the end of the day. 'You look at Liverpool last season and the goals they conceded which ultimately cost them the league, United look vulnerable like that at the back this season.
'They look like the United of old in terms of their attacking play and are showing real pace and quality in that department for sure, but defensively you have to question them.'

To compound matters for the Red Devils Jonny Evans was taken off injured in the first half, while Tyler Blackett was dismissed in the second half for a professional foul which led to Leicester's fifth and final goal from the penalty spot.

The latest defeat, which leaves United firmly poised in mid-table with just five points from as many games, will come as a huge blow to Louis van Gaal who would have be looking for his side to build on their emphatic win against QPR last weekend and make it back-to-back wins against Leicester.

Van Gaal was understandably bemused after seeing his side throw away a two-goal lead, admitting he didn't know exactly what had happened.
He said: 'We had complete control. How is it possible that you give this game away?'
'You never expect that when you're 3-1 ahead. You have to kill the game and keep possession. We couldn't do that.'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...g-defender-transfer-window.html#ixzz3E0sGx1O9

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
What is missing is a good CD,DM and a goalkeeper. Can't see how De Gea can make it to the top. His performances over the years were patchy at best. He makes the most incredible saves at times but concede silly goals the next. Reminds me of Grobelaar and the other two Spanish national keepers. Can't recall if he made any decent saves against Leicester.

Smalling looks out of shape when he came on for Evans. LVG would do well if he cast aside Smalling, Jones and Evans for that central role. Evans cannot command the back 4, wilts under pressure, error prone and is a certified idiot. Smalling and Jones are the most injury prone players of recent times at United.

You also need the senior lao jiao players to organize the defence. No more Vidic and Rio, who's gonna do it? Blackett? :biggrin:

You need someone big and strong, like Mangala, not those British rubbish. :rolleyes: