• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

CPF rally at Hong Lim and the deafening absence of WP and other oppos

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
Even the Wall Street Journal was at the rally.

Protesters Assail Singapore Pension System
One of the Largest Shows of Public Dissent in Tightly Regulated Singapore

Demonstrators during a protest at the Speakers' Corner at Hong Lim Park on Saturday in Singapore, where protesters demanded greater transparency and accountability on how the state-pension monies are being managed. Getty Images

SINGAPORE—Roughly 2,000 people protested against perceived inadequacies in Singapore's state-run pension system, signaling rising discontent over retirement savings in this city-state.

The demonstration on Saturday was one of the largest-ever shows of public dissent in tightly regulated Singapore, where the governing People's Action Party has seen its parliamentary dominance ebb in recent years with an increasingly vocal electorate seeking more steps to quell socioeconomic pressures.

Protesters cheered as a half-dozen speakers called on the government to improve the Central Provident Fund, or CPF, the state-run pension system that many lower- and middle-income Singaporeans say lacks transparency and fails to meet their retirement needs.

"Singaporeans have a right to know where our…money is going," Roy Ngerng, a 33-year-old health-care worker who organized Saturday's protest, told the crowd. "What we want is transparency and accountability."

A spokeswoman for the prime minister's office didn't immediately respond to a request for comment. Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong and other officials have said they would review the pension plan and consider certain changes but defended the overall system as sound and transparent.

Saturday's demonstration at Hong Lim Park, the only venue in Singapore where public protests are allowed, was the largest held in the city-state since early 2013, when two protests against the government's immigration policies each drew more than 3,000 people.

"Concerns over whether one's CPF savings are adequate for one's retirement have been festering," said Eugene Tan, an associate professor of law at Singapore Management University. "There is also the perception that the CPF is less fit for purpose at a time when it needs to be even more robust, given a rapidly aging society."

The pension system was established in 1955 and was gradually liberalized to allow fund members to use some savings to buy homes and make financial investments. Slowing wage growth and rising living costs in the past decade also have hurt people's ability to save for retirement, analysts said.

In a 2013 survey, insurance firm Manulife found that nearly 70% of Singaporeans expected to work beyond the retirement age of 62 due to expected shortfalls in their retirement savings.

Singapore's rising life expectancy and declining birthrates have also complicated matters, as aging citizens require greater retirement savings and have fewer working-age family members to rely upon. According to government projections, the ratio of working-age Singaporeans to elderly citizens, ages 65 and above, could fall to roughly 2 to 1 by 2030 from more than 6 to 1 currently.

At the protest, many Singaporeans also expressed concerns about how the retirement savings are managed by the government.

The finance ministry has said the CPF Board buys special government bonds that earn interest for fund members. Proceeds from the bond sales are then used for investments by the sovereign-wealth fund, GIC Pte. Ltd., and the Monetary Authority of Singapore, the ministry said.

Last month, lawmakers urged the government to improve the pension system, a suggestion accepted by Mr. Lee.

Write to Chun Han Wong at [email protected]

Cosmos10

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Who are these SDP reps? Why don't they wear an SDP shirt or name tag?

The SDP was not the organizer of this CPF rally event at the Hong Lim Park yesterday. SDP shirts and name tags are worn only during SDP's own official events. They were there yesterday to give moral support.

Stay tuned. The SDP will officially present our ideas on this CPF topic in our forthcoming economic policy paper in the near future. The SDP will present our ideas to the people of Singapore at the next GE and canvass their support.

palden

Alfrescian
Loyal
Wayang party only lions and hero during erection time la. They are ball less in nature. You expect co driver to do what?

So, a very curious thing happened at the olde rally. 6000 people showed up to speak out and to hear people speak out against the exploitive CPF policies, but the people that mattered the most, the official opposition was noticeable for their absence. Where was the WP? Where were the representatives of other opposition parties? Did Roy ban them? Did the organizers tell them not to come? Here is a ready made opportunity in front of 6000 people, and with your message beamed out on facebook and Youtube within minutes after you speak, and yet you are not there? Is there a better place and time to explain your party's stand on CPF, and what you would change if you took power? Is there a not a great opportunity to say a few words about the abusive nature of CPF, and at least show some support that it must change for the better, and that they are the party to do it? The supposed oppo WP does not only represent WP voters, but it represents the 40% of singaporeans who did not vote for the PAP, this is a large number of people. Over 1 million people. And yet, we have not heard a whimper from them. I want the WP to come out and say "Roy has made many good points regarding the CPF and we are of the same mind". I want them to say "CPF should pay 8% and be allowed to be withdrawn at 55 years". We need an orator of Churchilian proportions to whip the people at Hong Lim into a frenzy.

So, why is it this way? I can only assert that the WP is a fake oppo. People like Roy, Leong, etc. should run as independents in the next elections. I would request Roy to save a small portion of his legal fund donations to use a deposit for the next elections. Or else, they should band together and try for a GRC. Sinkies pay $16000 a month to oppo MPS. If they are not going to speak out on more issues, and keep voting the same way as the PAP, than why don't they just turn their pay over directly to the PAP. They look suspiciously like PAP "B" team to me.

glockman

Old Fart
Asset
Perhaps my expectation of the WP was too high to begin with. I had high hopes for them after GE2011, as did most of us. I expected waves and ripples, but nothing happened. Perhaps they are still "under-gunned" with only 9 seats. I expected them to be less intimidated, less respectful/fearful of the PAP. But LTK is still nice and smiley. I am suspicious of him now. I expected CSM to run rings around those PAP ministers, hammering them with his superior intellect. But he hardly spoke, and when he did, I fell asleep listening to him. Perhaps LTK muzzled him, who knows. The WP needs a new leader, in order to become the WP of years gone. When JBJ our Lion was leading it.

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
Perhaps my expectation of the WP was too high to begin with. I had high hopes for them after GE2011, as did most of us. I expected waves and ripples, but nothing happened. Perhaps they are still "under-gunned" with only 9 seats. I expected them to be less intimidated, less respectful/fearful of the PAP. But LTK is still nice and smiley. I am suspicious of him now. I expected CSM to run rings around those PAP ministers, hammering them with his superior intellect. But he hardly spoke, and when he did, I fell asleep listening to him. Perhaps LTK muzzled him, who knows. The WP needs a new leader, in order to become the WP of years gone. When JBJ our Lion was leading it.

Well said indeed.

Thick Face Black Heart

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Who are these SDP reps? Why don't they wear an SDP shirt or name tag?

Nobody should be wearing party colors in order to avoid politicizing the event along partisan lines.

KJ was an idiot to wear his RP logo T-shirt. That to me is discourteous. There should be no partisan colors in such an event.

Thick Face Black Heart

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
At this stage of our political development it is best for political party not to be seen as being too closely associated with civil activist movements.

Firstly there is always the risk that the leaders of the movement may suddenly adopt a stand or go in the direction that may hurt the political party image.

Secondly you risk marginalizing those potential voters who may not think much of the movement itself. Remember anyways that the job of a political party is to enter parliament and represent the people inside parliament. To achieve that it must win swing votes and also represent middle ground voices.

humloongson

Alfrescian
Loyal
That's yr own WRONG expectations oftheir presence or endorsement.

Not true that any time any event held by anybody (nobody) against government, will be endorsed or welcomed by all opposition parties.

I indeed past by Hong Lim to go Peoples Park at that time, ad some oppo supporters call me asking me to go have a look. But I made sure that I m not even too near to them.

This Roy talks rubbish had to be humilated to withdrawal n apologize n pay LHL. Clown n joker at political scene. Made opposition camp lose face.

Who s going to endorse him?

Idiots supporting him will only make LHL laugh collect their donations via Clown Roy.

I m not so silly.

Leong & Roy type of events I avoid.

Last edited:

kingrant

Alfrescian
Loyal
Calm down, bro.

Chee SJ's speech was read out by an SDP member. KJ was there and made a speech.

Agree that WP should take a higher road.

So, a very curious thing happened at the olde rally. 6000 people showed up to speak out and to hear people speak out against the exploitive CPF policies, but the people that mattered the most, the official opposition was noticeable for their absence.

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
At this stage of our political development it is best for political party not to be seen as being too closely associated with civil activist movements.

Firstly there is always the risk that the leaders of the movement may suddenly adopt a stand or go in the direction that may hurt the political party image.

Secondly you risk marginalizing those potential voters who may not think much of the movement itself. Remember anyways that the job of a political party is to enter parliament and represent the people inside parliament. To achieve that it must win swing votes and also represent middle ground voices.

I guess u are not aware that all political parties at one time started out as civil activists. A group of people get together and decide the current govt is not doing a good job, or the job they think should be done. So they form their own party to contest in the elections and make a change. So, i don't know what u mean when you say the WP should distance themselves.

escher

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
NOT A SINGLE PAP BASTARD MP THERE!

NOT A SINGLE PAP BASTARD MP DARE TO APPEAR THERE TO SPEAK UP

ALL OF THE PAP BASTARD MPs LAUGHING ALL THE WAY TO THEIR BANKS AND FROM THEIR BANKS

THE DAY WILL COME WHERE WE SEE THOSE PAP MPs DANGLING FROM PIANO WIRE AND DANCING UNDER THE LAMP POSTS

PAPs ARE ATTACKING SINGAPOREANS BY THIS ATTACK ON ROY
PAPs ARE FIXING THEIR PIANO WIRES AROUND THE NECKS OF SINGAPOREANS
PAPs ARE FIXING THE NECKLACE OF BURNING CAR TYRES ON THE NECKS OF SINGAPOREANS
WILL SINGAPOREANS REMAIN HEAD DOWN DOWN AND ARSEHOLES UP HIGH HIGH FOR PAPs TO FUCK
AND TO TIEW AND TO TIE PIANO WIRES?

TURN UP AT THE RALLY AT HONG LIM TO SUPPORT ROY AND SHOW PAPs WE FIGHT THIS TIME
ENOUGH IS ENOUGH

Hang those PAP maggots cockroaches with piano wires from lamp posts to make them dance before it is too late and we have no more CPF to get back.
BBQ those PAP maggots cockroaches before it is too late and we have no more CPF to get back.
Cut a few more arseholes into those PAP maggots cockroaches to let out their shit before it is too late and we have no more CPF to get back.
Make those PAP maggots cockroaches eat joss sticks and candle wax before it is too late and we have no more CPF to get back.

GET RID OF THE POISON IN SINGAPORE
HANG ALL THOSE FUCKING PAPs AND THEIR COLLABORATORS
BBQ THE BASTARD PAPs

AND SINGAPORE CAN BE AS GOOD IF NOT BETTER THAN SWITZERLAND

OR REMAIN HEAD DOWN DOWN AND ARSEHOLES UP HIGH HIGH TO BE FUCKED TO BE TIEWED TO BE KANNED BY THE PAP MAGGOTS COCKROACHES

Kill them all PAPs
Let GOD sort out the good from the really bad ones
The good PAPs can then eat joss sticks and candle wax from time to time
The bad PAPs like smear of shit on sole of shoe LKY will be raped and tiewed and kanned by legions of ghouls and demons and not ever
get time off to eat joss sticks and candle wax

Hang those PAP maggots cockroaches with piano wires from lamp posts to make them dance before it is too late and we have no more CPF to get back.

BBQ those PAP maggots cockroaches before it is too late and we have no more CPF to get back.

Cut a few more arseholes into those PAP maggots cockroaches to let out their shit before it is too late and we have no more CPF to get back.

Make those PAP maggots cockroaches eat joss sticks and candle wax before it is too late and we have no more CPF to get back.

None of those in PAP work for anyone but that smear of shit on sole of shoe LKY, to help him hold down Singaporeans to screw and fuck hundreds of BILLIONs from us all into smear of shit on sole of shoe LKY stinkapore sovereign funds.

They are there in PAP because LKY know that they are a bunch of self serving greedy bastards and scrapings of scums of society. To call them maggots cockroaches will be to insult real maggots and real cockroaches.
LKY will never allow good decent people into the PAP and good decent people will not want to get into the PAP.

Those in PAP are the most corrupt and moral degenerates and moral bankrupts and moral filths that are being presented to stinkaporeans as moral compasses.

Despite the leeching and fucking of singaporeans by the cheebye PAP and LKY, Singapore still managed to survive to date.
Despite their being hung as a fucking millstones around the necks of Singaporeans and the idiocy and corrupt manipulations of PAP and LKY, Singapore still not dead yet.

WE ALL ARE NOW WAITING FOR THE DEATH OF LKY IN COMING DAYS OR WEEKS.
WE ALL WILL YUM SENG AND YUM SENG AND YUM SENG AGAIN AND AGAIN DANCING SINGING ON TABLE TOPS AND STREETS

WE THEN WILL SEE THOSE IN PAP WITH SHARPENED KNIVES HOOTING ARSEHLOON A DOZEN NEW ARSEHOLES AND THE DEATH OF THE ENTIRE LEE KWA CLAN

WE THEN WILL PICK UP PIANO WIRES AND HANG ALL THOSE REMAINING PAP AND THEIR COLLABORATORS FROM LAMP POSTS AND SEE THOSE BASTARDS AND BITCHES DANCE.
AND HAPPINESS WILL RETURN TO OUR LAND.

AND STINKAPORE WILL BECOME SINGAPORE ONCE MORE.

https://www.torproject.org/about/overview.html.en

jw5

Loyal
Just remember to vote opposition, whenever there is an election contest between MIW party and ANY opposition party. :wink:

You can always sort out the wheat from the chaff in the opposition parties when pap becomes the opposition.

In the meantime, the pappies would also have some sorting out of their own to do, e.g. some of them will try to rush back to their previous "high-paying" jobs. :biggrin:

Oh and most importantly, if you insist on voting opposition, the fake opposition supporters will have to flush their mole theories down the toilet, no matter how hard they try to nitpick and discredit the opposition candidates. LOL..................... :wink:

Lionheart

Alfrescian
Loyal
escher you never learn
you want to be bannned again
why write so much and so lor soh
make your point - short and precise
and sensible

Thick Face Black Heart

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
I guess u are not aware that all political parties at one time started out as civil activists. A group of people get together and decide the current govt is not doing a good job, or the job they think should be done. So they form their own party to contest in the elections and make a change. So, i don't know what u mean when you say the WP should distance themselves.

Civil activists tend to have a different agenda. WP also has no control over the personalities involved and the direction being taken. Take the Gilbert Goh protests. What if WP involved and then became tarred by the xenophobic brush when Gilbert started going for blood?

Anwar took heat when some isolated Bersih members smashed cars. That's what I mean by lack of control.

WP had always been cautious under LTK and love it or despise it that had worked. Maybe there will come a day when that should change but I don't think that day is now.