• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

World Cup 2014 Thread...

Lionheart

Alfrescian
Loyal
jozy-altidore-600x373.jpg

The US Soccer Federation announced today that 24 year old forward Jozy Altidore has been cleared to play for the United States when they take on Belgium in the Round of 16 at the 2014 World Cup. Altidore has long been considered the star striker for the USMNT and on the whole his form for the Stars and Stripes has backed that up.
The Florida raised striker made his full international debut in 2007, and has been a regular member of the US senior set up since 2009, where he played during the USMNT’s qualifying campgaing for the 2010 World Cup in South Africa. When used in the current set up under Jurgen Klinsmann, Altidore is usually paired up front with U.S Captain Clint Dempsey, with Altidore primarily playing with his back to goal, holding the ball well to draw defenders and creating space for Dempsey to run on to and score.
For many fans of U.S. Soccer, Altidore was once seen as the Great Hope for American soccer, that prototypical powerful forward who could break into the top levels of European competition and show the world that Americans can excel at the world’s game, and despite some success abroad Altidore has not quite lived up to those expectations.

Read more at http://worldsoccertalk.com/2014/06/...states-enigmatic-forward/#xm3semKKoOrZxa2k.99

Lionheart

Alfrescian
Loyal
usmnt2.jpg

The easy talking point heading into Belgium vs. US is whether the Americans can reconnect the dots they failed to link up against Germany.
First of all, against Germany the goal was to simply limit Die Mannschaft’s goal scoring, essentially using Portugal’s ugly goal difference against them. One could follow that Jurgen Klinsmann had little desire in pushing forward and causing holes to form in the defense.
On paper, Belgium is a side of great quality, with many top European players but whether it’s the inherent divisions of an often divided country, or the inherent divisions caused by ego, Belgium has looked more like Portugal than Germany in this World Cup. They’ve dominated their often weak opponents in possession, but are often unable to make their final third count.
That brings us to the US counterattack. If Belgium is going to dominate possession, the US must expose a Belgian defense that may be missing Thomas Vermaelen and Vincent Kompany through speed and surprise.

Read more at http://worldsoccertalk.com/2014/06/...n-their-countering-sword/#xcHbfXlZlUSie5Ho.99

Lionheart

Alfrescian
Loyal
2387277_full-lnd.jpg

do not underestimate the swiss and the usa
they are all out to shame the stars
there will be surprises as the stars will be subdued

The artistry of Lionel Messi and Eden Hazard will take centre stage at Brazil 2014 on Tuesday as the Round of 16 concludes with tough tests for European duo Switzerland and Belgium against Argentina and USA respectively.

Lionheart

Alfrescian
Loyal
2385079_full-lnd.jpg

Argentina coach Alejandro Sabella has hailed Lionel Messi's "amazing" FIFA World Cup™ form and compared him to Diego Maradona during the team's winning run in 1986.

Sabella said he never had any doubts that Messi, who has not always produced his best at international level, would star at the tournament.

The four-time FIFA Ballon d'Or winner, aged 27, has hit four of Argentina's six goals en route to Tuesday's Round of 16 knockout game against Switzerland in Sao Paulo.

Lionheart

Alfrescian
Loyal
2385079_full-lnd.jpg

Argentina coach Alejandro Sabella has hailed Lionel Messi's "amazing" FIFA World Cup™ form and compared him to Diego Maradona during the team's winning run in 1986.

Sabella said he never had any doubts that Messi, who has not always produced his best at international level, would star at the tournament.

The four-time FIFA Ballon d'Or winner, aged 27, has hit four of Argentina's six goals en route to Tuesday's Round of 16 knockout game against Switzerland in Sao Paulo.

2372400_full-lnd.jpg

MESSI WILL BE STOPPED . HE WILL BE RENDERED HAPLESS AND EFFECTIVELESS.

Switzerland coach Ottmar Hitzfeld is planning to stop Argentinian star Lionel Messi at the FIFA World Cup™ and prolong a glittering career in his last tournament before retiring.

The former Bayern Munich coach said he would demonstrate how to neutralise the Barcelona genius, who has plundered four goals in three games so far in Brazil, in the Round of 16.

The German, who has promised to quit football after the FIFA World Cup, added that he was not approaching Tuesday's showdown with the thought that it may be his last game.

"How to stop Messi? We'll show you tomorrow how we do it," Hitzfeld told reporters. "Of course I've thought with the staff how to go on and continue to the quarter-finals - so I don't think it's going to be my last match."

Lionheart

Alfrescian
Loyal
2375750_full-lnd.jpg

ARGENTINA HITTING TOP FORM!!!

If you were coach of a team about to compete in the World Cup, would you want your side to arrive at the tournament firing on all cylinders, or prefer your players to peak later in the competition?

It is a question with no easy answers. But once the tournament starts, all you can do is adapt to your situation as best you can. That is certainly the case with Alejandro Sabella's Argentina, who, ahead of their Round of 16 duel against Switzerland, seem to be hitting form at just the right time.

After a shaky debut against Bosnia and Herzegovina and a narrow and, at times, painful victory over Iran, Argentina finally looked convincing in their 3-2 win over Nigeria. The victory meant the team finished top of Group F with maximum points.

"We should be happy with our results so far. It’s not easy to take nine points from three games at the World Cup," full-back Pablo Zabaleta told FIFA. "What’s most important, though, is that we’re improving as the tournament progresses. Against Nigeria we played better than we had in the previous two games, which was our objective. From now on the slightest mistake can send you home," added the 29-year-old Manchester City defender.

"If you want to grow during a tournament, the key thing is to learn from your mistakes, and that’s what we’ve done,” agreed Fernando Gago. “We’ve been improving bit by bit, and now we’re in a situation where one point is no longer enough for our opponents. That should open up more space for us, and we’ll be able to play to our strengths," added the midfielder, who made his 52nd international appearance against the Super Eagles.

jubilee1919

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
If it were me, I would take the earlier match between Argentina and Switzerland. It will be more exciting than the other as I think there will be more goals scored.

Leona

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

<iframe src="//www.youtube.com/embed/AnKxsFzBikg?rel=0" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="315" width="560"></iframe>

France 2 - 0 Nigeria

<iframe src="//player.vimeo.com/video/99584315" webkitallowfullscreen="" mozallowfullscreen="" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="450" width="600"></iframe>

Germany 2 - 1 Algeria (AET)

<iframe src="//www.youtube.com/embed/-z65oxj0FW8?rel=0" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="315" width="560"></iframe>

Thomas Mueller Free Kick Fail (Funny)

Germany 2 - 1 Algeria (AET)

aurvandil

Alfrescian
Loyal
Recent poor displays by Brazil, Netherlands and Germany have led to an unprecedented collapse in confidence by the uncles.

Sinkie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Are you guys watching tonites' matches?

The USA - Belgium match I think I'll skip......but not confirmed yet.....depends on whether I need a massage or not.

I just went for a 1 1/2 hours massage but later in the nite, I may need another one........see how.

Alamaking

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Are you guys watching tonites' matches?

The USA - Belgium match I think I'll skip......but not confirmed yet.....depends on whether I need a massage or not.

I just went for a 1 1/2 hours massage but later in the nite, I may need another one........see how.

Got special service kind? :biggrin:

zeddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Since now is World Cup fever, I recommend Bros here to read football books authored by Simon Kuper..He's one of Britain's best football authors.. He's known for his wittiness..

A Mexican football official who dislike the US once remarked in one of Kuper's book that he was thankful the Americans are not world beaters in football as compared to their traditional sports like baseball and American Football, if not they would be crowing in typical American arrogance all day long..