• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

S'pore boys' school teacher forced to resign by influential and affluent parent

zeroo

Alfrescian
Loyal
Some years ago, a friend's wife, who taught in a well-known boys' school, reprimanded a student for breaking some flower pots. The student's father, an influential and affluent individual, demanded that the teacher be dismissed.

The principal was torn between supporting the teacher, who did nothing wrong, and the parent, who had made substantial monetary contributions to the school. Eventually, to resolve the matter, the teacher resigned.
Published in ST: http://www.straitstimes.com/premium/...hools-20140506

Full letter:

Time for corporal punishment in schools?

MS CATHERINE Ng's letter ("Timely reminder for 'monster parents' "; last Saturday) reminds me of similar stories I frequently hear from friends whose spouses or children are school teachers.

It underscores the great stress teachers face from the exacting demands of not only their schools and the Education Ministry, but also unreasonable and disrespectful parents.

Some teachers are chided and blamed when they notify parents of their children's habitual tardiness, refusal to submit homework, misbehaviour and so on.

Some years ago, a friend's wife, who taught in a well-known boys' school, reprimanded a student for breaking some flower pots. The student's father, an influential and affluent individual, demanded that the teacher be dismissed.

The principal was torn between supporting the teacher, who did nothing wrong, and the parent, who had made substantial monetary contributions to the school. Eventually, to resolve the matter, the teacher resigned.

On the one hand, parents expect schools to teach students good moral values, on top of developing their academic and mental abilities. On the other hand, they are quick to blame the schools when their children deviate from acceptable norms. In doing so, they are condoning negative behaviour.

So, unless we take concrete steps to address this problem, we risk raising generations of people who are ill-disciplined, morally deficient and disobedient, with no qualms about using influence and affluence unfairly.

We need a concerted effort by the ministry, schools and parents, working as partners, to address this problem.

First, principals must support the teachers as long as the latter's actions are fair and reasonable. They must not succumb to pressure from parents, no matter how influential they are.

Similarly, the ministry must impress upon principals and teachers their role as imparters of knowledge and moral values, and not succumb to threats from parents.

Second, while schools are expected to impart good values to students, parents must not scuttle or negate these efforts by setting bad examples for their children.

Perhaps it is time to re-introduce corporal punishment in schools, which is effective if meted out judiciously.

Lawrence Loh Kiah Muan

zhihau

Super Moderator
SuperMod
Asset
you know something is wrong when the MOE start treating education as a business.

enterprise2

Alfrescian
Loyal

Published in ST: http://www.straitstimes.com/premium/...hools-20140506

Full letter:

Time for corporal punishment in schools?

MS CATHERINE Ng's letter ("Timely reminder for 'monster parents' "; last Saturday) reminds me of similar stories I frequently hear from friends whose spouses or children are school teachers.

It underscores the great stress teachers face from the exacting demands of not only their schools and the Education Ministry, but also unreasonable and disrespectful parents

Some teachers are chided and blamed when they notify parents of their children's habitual tardiness, refusal to submit homework, misbehaviour and so on.

On the one hand, parents expect schools to teach students good moral values, on top of
developing their academic and mental abilities. On the other hand, they are quick to blame the schools when their children deviate from acceptable norms. In doing so, they are condoning negative behaviour.

So, unless we take concrete steps to address this problem, we risk raising generations of people who are ill-disciplined, morally deficient and disobedient, with no qualms about using influence and affluence unfairly.

We need a concerted effort by the ministry, schools and parents, working as partners, to address this problem.

First, principals must support the teachers as long as the latter's actions are fair and reasonable. They must not succumb to pressure from parents, no matter how influential they are.

Similarly, the ministry must impress upon principals and teachers their role as imparters of knowledge and moral values, and not succumb to threats from parents.

Second, while schools are expected to impart good values to students, parents must not scuttle or negate these efforts by setting bad examples for their children.

Perhaps it is time to re-introduce corporal punishment in schools, which is effective if meted out
judiciously.

Lawrence Loh Kiah Muan
There was a famous story about former CJ Wee Chong Jin where his son was hauled to the Principal office for keeping long hair. The principal threatened to call his father. The son said go ahead. The principal called the CJ and guess what, the CJ told him it's a family tradition to keep long hair!!

dr.wailing

Alfrescian
Loyal
There was a famous story about former CJ Wee Chong Jin where his son was hauled to the Principal office for keeping long hair. The principal threatened to call his father. The son said go ahead. The principal called the CJ and guess what, the CJ told him it's a family tradition to keep long hair!!

I really hope that more and more of the ruling elite bend school rules. Influential and very rich towkays should also join in, threatening to dismiss principals or teachers if the latter refuse to accede to their whims.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Don't be shy, do name the schools.

I know that nowadays schools are very political because got with many rich kids. I'm just curious & not & parent :smile:

Last edited:

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Thank goodness I'm neither a parent nor a teacher. After spending so many years studying to get out of the system, I'm not getting sucked back in to the horrid world of the MOE.

GOD IS MY DOG

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I really hope that more and more of the ruling elite bend school rules. Influential and very rich towkays should also join in, threatening to dismiss principals or teachers if the latter refuse to accede to their whims.

yes.......yes.......like that then more civil servants will vote for opposition..............

zhihau

Super Moderator
SuperMod
Asset
yes.......yes.......like that then more civil servants will vote for opposition..............

i'm actually surprised to find out that 6 out of 10 of my personal friends whom are teachers, be it in primary/secondary/tertiary institutions, actually voted for the various opposition parties in their respective wards :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Thick Face Black Heart

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
i'm actually surprised to find out that 6 out of 10 of my personal friends whom are teachers, be it in primary/secondary/tertiary institutions, actually voted for the various opposition parties in their respective wards :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Can parents demand that their kids be taught only by opposition supporters?

I know at least two parents who would immediately sign up for that scheme

blindswordsman

Alfrescian
Loyal
If a teacher is not respected, or school discipline is not enforced or abided to, it tells us something about moral decay existing in the society. The parent can be rich and influential but if unhappy, then MOE should also support the teacher and the school to tell the parent to fuck off or send his son to another school if he can find one willing to accept him.

What has his money got to do with maintaining school discipline? The rich and influential are morally depraved if they do not know how to conduct themselves.

zhihau

Super Moderator
SuperMod
Asset
What has his money got to do with maintaining school discipline? The rich and influential are morally depraved if they do not know how to conduct themselves.

independent and autonomous schools have their programs to run, funding from MOE tak cukup, tak boleh jalan...
what to do? raise funds loh, pander to those atas atas parents loh...

eErotica69

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

How did you know. Did you see them vote? They only tell you or they KPKB everyday about PAP. But during the most crucial moment, they cross the PAP Logo.

I am not surprised that many here do the same too!!

bushtucker

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
whatever happened to the meter-long thick wooden ruler which was used on naughty students' knuckles??

bring that back and we won't have "kuniang", whiny, mischievous and arrogant kids anymore!

escher

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Hang all the PAP bastards with piano wires from lamp posts or BBQ them.
Then Singapore will self heal herself and be a much better country for all of us

HANG THOSE FUCKING PAP BASTARDS