• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Alibaba - The Story (April 2014)

enterprise2

Alfrescian
Loyal
Re: Ali Baba: Biggest IPO in History at US$25 bil

I laugh when I read the Shitty Times when they produced an excerpt of which Singapore firms can follow Alibaba footsteps. All never heard of companies who probably not worth shit and they have to dig out Creative Technologies out of the mix !! I mean , that's all we got !! We r truely fcuked!!

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Creative Tech is not even fit to smell the armpit of Alibaba.

Alibaba is like Google, amazon and PayPal combined in China.

Creative had more creativity than alibaba.
Alibaba best describe is the Chinese copycat version of eBay.
Btw what the fuck of a name is alibaba? Even the name sounds like a rip off.

enterprise2

Alfrescian
Loyal

Creative had more creativity than alibaba.

Rite!! Let's see who has the bigger yacht? Jack Ma or Sim Wong Hoo!!

yellowarse

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

The company was founded in current CEO Ma's apartment.[SUP][9][/SUP] Ma explained:

One day I was in San Francisco in a coffee shop, and I was thinking Alibaba is a good name. And then a waitress came, and I said, "Do you know about Alibaba?" And she said yes. I said, "What do you know about Alibaba?", and she said, "Alibaba and 40 thieves". And I said, "Yes, this is the name!" Then I went onto the street and found 30 people and asked them, "Do you know Alibaba?" People from India, people from Germany, people from Tokyo and China … they all knew about Alibaba. Alibaba — open sesame. Alibaba is a kind, smart business person, and he helped the village. So … easy to spell, and globally known. Alibaba opens sesame for small- to medium-sized companies. We also registered the name "Alimama", in case someone wants to marry us!"[SUP][10][/SUP][SUP][11][/SUP]

yellowarse

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Jack Ma's genius is not in inventing nor reinventing the wheel, but spotting a massive opportunity in a burgeoning market and adapting and moulding existing business models into a uniquely Alibaba model.

If you look at Alibaba carefully, it is eBay (Taobao), PayPal (Alipay), Amazon (Tsmall), and Google (search advertising) all rolled into one. And then modified from the predominantly B2C American model to a B2B model focused on servicing the world's factory. First-mover advantage gave it a whopping 80% share of the online biz market in China. (If you're a European or American firm placing orders with Chinese manufacturers, you have to go through Alibaba.) Plus, it is highly profitable, unlike many tech companies who go IPO on potential rather than actual earnings.

Hence the feeding frenzy in Wall St.

Last edited:

enterprise2

Alfrescian
Loyal

The company was founded in current CEO Ma's apartment.[SUP][9][/SUP] Ma explained:

One day I was in San Francisco in a coffee shop, and I was thinking Alibaba is a good name. And then a waitress came, and I said, "Do you know about Alibaba?" And she said yes. I said, "What do you know about Alibaba?", and she said, "Alibaba and 40 thieves". And I said, "Yes, this is the name!" Then I went onto the street and found 30 people and asked them, "Do you know Alibaba?" People from India, people from Germany, people from Tokyo and China … they all knew about Alibaba. Alibaba — open sesame. Alibaba is a kind, smart business person, and he helped the village. So … easy to spell, and globally known. Alibaba opens sesame for small- to medium-sized companies. We also registered the name "Alimama", in case someone wants to marry us!"[SUP][10][/SUP][SU

[11][/SUP]

At least he didn't spend a ton of monies on consultants to name Marina Bay into The Bay like some smart scholars we got!!

frenchbriefs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

when alibaba is valued at 60 bil,they already said its too expensive at 35 trailing p/e.......now the ipo is out and the company's valuation is at 225 bil......

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

"alibaba" first came up 30 years ago in a sinkie intelligence report when it was mistaken for addis ababa, capital of ethiopia. it proved that sinkie intelligence analysts then had great foresight and uncanny predictive capabilities. no wonder sg is blessed. :*: :rolleyes:

frenchbriefs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Rite!! Let's see who has the bigger yacht? Jack Ma or Sim Wong Hoo!!

u know sim wong hoo was at one point a billionaire at the peak of his fame?his shares in creative was worth over a billion.too bad hes a lousy businessman and didnt cashout......hes one of those idiots who thought he could run a successful business and turn it into the next microsoft......over the next 20 years his wealth plummeted from 1 billion+ to less than 220 million today.....a man who faded into the forgotten aisles of history.

tech companies are nothing but fads and overinflated mania......many people saw tech as a way to get rich quick and cashed out for hundreds of millions even billions before the paint fell off the walls and their companies turned into a lump of coal......lycos was one example,then broadcast.com sold to yahoo for 6 billion and turned into shit within the next 6 years.

Last edited:

kezgtree

Alfrescian
Loyal

u know sim wong hoo was at one point a billionaire at the peak of his fame?his shares in creative was worth over a billion.too bad hes a lousy businessman and didnt cashout......hes one of those idiots who thought he could run a successful business and turn it into the next microsoft......over the next 20 years his wealth plummeted from 1 billion+ to less than 220 million today.....a man who faded into the forgotten aisles of history.

tech companies are nothing but fads and overinflated mania......many people saw tech as a way to get rich quick and cashed out for hundreds of millions even billions before the paint fell off the walls and their companies turned into a lump of coal......lycos was one example,then broadcast.com sold to yahoo for 6 billion and turned into shit within the next 6 years.

I think he couldn't be bothered...he got so many millions that probably will last him 3 generations...

frenchbriefs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

I think he couldn't be bothered...he got so many millions that probably will last him 3 generations...

thats the mindset of a peasant,so what he still got millions!!!....trust me going from 1 billion to 220 million hurts,once u had a taste of the epitome of success and power,losing it is terrible,nothing hurts more than losing a huge chunk of their networth......its like chris rock said.....if bill gates woke up one day with oprah's money,he would throw himself out of a window,"arrrggghhh im poor!!!!i cant even afford gas for my jet"

ChinaSux

Alfrescian
Loyal

alibaba is catchy n it sells like hot cakes

Ya catchy. Let it have it's day and share of fanfare but what goes up must come down. Ali Baba the urban catch phrase will also become appropriate when the time comes......... :biggrin:

yellowarse

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Ya catchy. Let it have it's day and share of fanfare but what goes up must come down.

True. Empires come and go. So too for corporations. Who would have thought 8 years ago that Nokia would totally left out of the mobile phone industry? That said, Jack Ma is having his day in the sun, being the newly minted #1 on China's rich list at US$25 bil (he was worth only $4 bil a year ago).

Alibaba founder Jack Ma tops China rich list

_77759063_8x6um3dp.jpg
Jack Ma's Alibaba listed its shares in New York last week

Alibaba founder Jack Ma has become China's richest person following his company's record listing, according to a wealth survey by the Hurun Report.

Mr Ma tops its annual rich list with a fortune of $25bn (£15bn), followed by Wanda Group chairman Wang Jianlin.
Internet billionaires account for five of China's 10 richest people this year, eclipsing property tycoons who have traditionally dominated the list.

The list also includes the head of Tencent, Pony Ma.

Other tech titans on the list include the co-founder of Chinese search group Baidu, Robin Li, and the founder of online retailer JD.com, Richard Liu Qiangdong.

Mr Liu, who is ranked 10th on the super-rich list, also saw his company listed in New York in August this year.

CHINA RICH LIST
NameCompanyWealth (US$)
SOURCE: HURUN REPORT RICH LIST 2014
1. Jack Ma Yun & familyAlibaba (IT)$25bn
2. Wang Jianlin & familyWanda (Real estate, entertainment)$24.2bn
3. Li HejunHanergy (Renewable energy)$20.8bn
4. Zong Qinghou & familyWahaha (Drinks)$20.8bn
5. Pony MaTencent (IT, entertainment)$18.1bn

<tbody>
</tbody>

Hurun Report chairman and chief researcher Rupert Hoogewerf said the list shows "the entrepreneurial spirit that has caught China seems not to be abating".

"Jack Ma is the 11th Number One we have had in China in the last 16 years, showing the dynamism of the Chinese economy, and a stark reminder of the growth potential that is being realised in the emerging markets".