• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

I tendered my resignation without securing the next job. Here’s why I don’t mind.

nutbush

Alfrescian
Loyal
https://sg.news.yahoo.com/tendered-resignation-without-securing-next-033039932.html

I have committed a taboo – I have tendered my resignation without securing the next job.

A break between jobs may prove valuable
The reactions to the announcement were varied but they all pretty much hint at a deep sense of disapproval.
“Why did you do that?” It was as if I had renounced my faith.
“What are you going to do from now on?” Almost as though a misfortune had incapacitated me.
“What does your family have to say about it?” As if I had offered to cook for the next family dinner.
I was, and still am, certain of my reasons and motivations for the resignation. However the response I received got me thinking about why people are so concerned about the gaps in their careers.

Why are people so concerned about the gaps in their careers?
The developed world evolved from an agricultural economy to an industrial economy to the service age, then to the knowledge economy in the late 1990s and 2000s marked by breakthroughs in technological innovations and competition for innovation with new products and processes that develop from the research community. According to The Work Foundation, the knowledge economy is driven by the demand for higher value added goods and services created by more sophisticated, more discerning, and better educated consumers and businesses.
In my opinion, if the economic landscape has changed, why should our approach towards employment remain the same, to the point of being archaic?
I have heard horror interview anecdotes of candidates being unforgivingly grilled on why they left one job without first securing the next, never mind the accolades achieved during the tenure with the recently departed organisation. Unless the candidates’ reasons hinge on family and/or a health crisis, the interviewer’s doubts and suspicions tend to run awry.
There are virtues to taking a break before moving on to the next job; because it is a career that all meaning-seeking humans want, and not simply a paycheck.
The most critical part when planning for a hiatus is addressing the question “why you are doing it”. Without thinking through “why”, you can easily take a six-month break and end up in the same unsatisfying place.
After thinking through, I put forth the following four reasons for taking a hiatus:
1. Detox and Re-boot

Detox and re-boot
Before you land yourself in the next job, it is important to let go of any emotional baggage and address physical ailments that you have accumulated during your previous employment. These issues can include tensions with your superior, disagreements with a co-worker, demanding clients, stress-related health problems such as hair loss, body aches, sleep disorders, etc.
Run, join a yoga class, meditate, consult your doctor – get your mental and physical health back on track.
It is important that we enter into our next phase of career with a brand new frame of mind, one that is not tainted by previous experiences.
2.Reflect, Take Stock

Reflect, take stock
While in employment, we are inevitably consumed by “busy-ness”. In the flurry of activities, we often fail to take stock of our lives and fall behind planning and executing plans to fulfill educational and personal development goals.
It is essential that we look back on what we have accomplished at the previous workplace and contemplate on whether previously set goals have been attained; which areas have we performed well; and which aspects need improvement. Doing so can help us identify what we want out of our next job.
The break is also timely for us to re-visit our work motivations, philosophy and ethics as we move forward to ride the next wave of our career.
“A discerning employer will appreciate your confidence, common sense and insights instead of focusing on the void in your resume.”
3. Getting to Know Yourself Again

Freedom away from work is freedom to rethink your career
Last year, when I was contemplating taking a break from work, I was concerned that I would lose my bearing without a job. I had grown so comfortable in my professional title that I was afraid to face the world in my own skin – the skin that had marked my individuality in the past 30 odd years. We are more than the summation of our paychecks.
It was then that I knew that something was amiss, and I needed to move. Fast.
Remember that doe-eye, enthusiastic fresh entrant you were when you first reported to work, all eager to recommend ideas? That individual was a product of your education, family upbringing, social interaction and personal development. You and I have unique strengths and offerings to bring to the table; we simply have to take time to mine those hidden gems and bring them to the next phase of our career.
4. Actually Do Something About the Bucket List

What’s on your bucket list?
Most of us have a bucket list. A hiatus from work offers a good time to actually do something about it.
Pick up a new language, explore new hobbies, meet people, and travel!
For most people, money is the topmost concern during a period of unemployment; so if you cannot afford to travel to an exotic destination, make do with a short getaway. It’s what you do that matters, not where you go.
Want to try your hand at table service? Go for it – learn to do coffee art, make a cuppa and handle irate customers.
Doing and experiencing new things can widen your horizon, equip you with a fresh perspective, and you will become a much learned person in all aspects. A discerning employer will appreciate your confidence, common sense and insights instead of focusing on the void in your resume.
Do keep in mind though that one should not take frivolous breaks. If you are ready to tackle the challenges in your next job without going on a hiatus, go for it. Once you know why you want to take time off and have mentally committed to doing so, put your plan into action. Trust that things will work out and look forward to the next phase of your career in good faith.
This article is written by Mephine Ong for InternSG’s Career Write-up article series and has been re-published with permission. At the time of writing, Mephine is moving on from her position as a Corporate Communications Manager in a hospitality industry. Off work, Mephine spends her time on sports, reading and writing. For comments or collaboration opportunities, she can be reached via [email protected]
Read also: I am turning 30. Here are 7 valuable lessons I’ve learnt the past 29 years
The post I tendered my resignation without securing the next job. Here’s why I don’t mind. appeared first on Vulcan Post.

Ash007

Alfrescian
Loyal
I did the same before going to aussieland, in less then a month in aussieland I secured my first job here. It is far more efficient to secure a job in the city you want to move to when you are there then file resume over the net in Singapore.

TracyTan866

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I did the same before going to aussieland, in less then a month in aussieland I secured my first job here. It is far more efficient to secure a job in the city you want to move to when you are there then file resume over the net in Singapore.

good advice!

TracyTan866

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Sinkies are usually, kiasu, kiasi that they cannot get a job, can't find accommodation etc when they move to a new place. The sense of adventure, exploration has all been breed out of them.

when do think most Singaporeans are like that? it cant be that 4 million people have that same attribute. it must be the invisible hand that mould them

tanwahp

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
It's funny how this unique belief of unknown origin came about in Singapore.

When resigning, employees have to serve a notice period to employer. Most hiring employers cannot wait for a time longer than the notice period. If you don't tender before job hunting, you can't even change jobs.

Dark Knight

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
It's funny how this unique belief of unknown origin came about in Singapore.

When resigning, employees have to serve a notice period to employer. Most hiring employers cannot wait for a time longer than the notice period. If you don't tender before job hunting, you can't even change jobs.

Some employers required 2 to 3 months notice even it's not a management post.
Not many firms can wait that long in their hiring and most of the time people ended up having to resign first before they can seek another job.

Yingge

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
when do think most Singaporeans are like that? it cant be that 4 million people have that same attribute. it must be the invisible hand that mould them

I can see that someone is trying to point the arrow to PAP again...:biggrin:

The writer may not be from sg...

Ash007

Alfrescian
Loyal
Pap has a role to play in fostering such an environment. However a big part is also on sinkies that allow this to happen. Like an sm relationship, its the being dominated that holds the ultimate power for the game to stop.

chonburifc

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Don't worry! Stinking land employers have lots of PEE NOYS and SHIT SKINS to choose from. Why burden company with Sinkees employees with NS liabilities. Stinking land goverment is very pro business one hor.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Anyone who has ever applied to a GLC for a job will know that you will face a grilling if there are any breaks in your job history. :eek:

Another mistake I made was to leave out my primary school history in my resume:biggrin:

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

This article is written by Mephine Ong for InternSG’s Career Write-up article series and has been re-published with permission. At the time of writing, Mephine is moving on from her position as a Corporate Communications Manager in a hospitality industry. Off work, Mephine spends her time on sports, reading and writing.

http://sg.linkedin.com/pub/mephine-ong/31/ba3/9

I guess the ability to read is not really a prerequisite for becoming a poodle. No wonder all the poodles are dumbfucks: from the lowest ranked grunt to the commissioner. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Anyone who has ever applied to a GLC for a job will know that you will face a grilling if there are any breaks in your job history. :eek:

Another mistake I made was to leave out my primary school history in my resume:biggrin:

All public sector jobs care about which primary school you've been to, and what grades you've obtained. The pay they offer you depends on that. :wink:

Voluntary job breaks are good. People should take some sabbaticals.

Yingge

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
http://sg.linkedin.com/pub/mephine-ong/31/ba3/9

I guess the ability to read is not really a prerequisite for becoming a poodle. No wonder all the poodles are dumbfucks: from the lowest ranked grunt to the commissioner. :rolleyes:

Wow... You so smart to believe all this information from Internet??? Why you do not believe those reports showing that Singapore government are doing a good job and with thousands of report ranking Singapore as one of the best place to live in??? Who is the dumbfuck now???:kma:

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Nothing to do with being brave or less kiasu. Its a different set of circumstances for migrants to OZ, NZ and Canada etc. Employers are most likely to consider if you are already in the country.

If you are jobless and apply for a new position, its a red flag unless you can show valid reasons such as retrenchment, end of contract, went to climb Mt Everest. sabbatical to write a book etc.

There are people who resign because of misconduct, stressed out, poor performance, wrong-fit and left before being asked to go etc.

Its an established practice for senior and professional roles for your new potential employer asking you for consent to check with your last employer your last drawn pay, performance etc. In order not to jeopardise your existing relationship with your current employer, these are done when you cross over. You will see in all employment contract that your job offer is conditional until all due diligence is complete. That means they your HR will call your old HR.

Unless its a junior position, this has been in place since the early 90s. A gap in employment must be substantiated.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
GLCs copied this practice from MNCs and large companies all over the World. A gap must be explained. There are firms that are engaged to conduct due diligence for gaps. These firms also use social media tools to complete gaps in your history without your knowledge. I have seen such reports and they are impressive. Control Risk is a UK firm that is does this for many companies around the world. They also use plagiarism detection tools to run your CV thru.

Unless its a small family business, a junior job, these are established practices. Most people do not resign unties they have a job or a good reason so these situations are rare.

If you work for a GLC, an MNC or any of well established brands, just check the terms of your employment contract.

Last edited:

looneytan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Sinkies are usually, kiasu, kiasi that they cannot get a job, can't find accommodation etc when they move to a new place. The sense of adventure, exploration has all been breed out of them.

when I first came here I only knew one or two people, not a penny in pocket, not even a cloth on my back

Ash007

Alfrescian
Loyal
On top of that in the employment contract there is a 3 months probation period, not only for the employee to see if the job is stabile but also for the employer to assess if the employee is suitable for the job. For some reason the dead woods seems to drift through this easily.

GLCs copied this practice from MNCs and large companies all over the World. A gap must be explained. There are firms that are engaged to conduct due diligence for gaps. These firms also use social media tools to complete gaps in your history without your knowledge. I have seen such reports and they are impressive. Control Risk is a UK firm that is does this for many companies around the world. They also use plagiarism detection tools to run your CV thru.

Unless its a small family business, a junior job, these are established practices. Most people do not resign unties they have a job or a good reason so these situations are rare.

If you work for a GLC, an MNC or any of well established brands, just check the terms of your employment contract.