• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

How many are digital TVB-2 ready?

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Spore going to digital TV. Something called TVB-2. How many have TV sets that are TVB-2 ready:confused: When will they stop broadcasting the old analog services:confused:

I have an older CRT TV which is still working great. If I am only interested in receiving the free channels like channel 5 via a cable jack found in most flats. Do I need a TVB-2 box:confused: Anyone know the price of these boxes:confused:

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
CRT has gone Jurassic. About time u made the change.

My old CRT TV was one of the more expensive models costing $3k+. It sits in my living room & my parents like the set. A pity to throw it away since it is still working & even if I want throw it away it is too big & heavy for me to carry.

I will probably eventually replace it with a 4K TV. However 4K TVs are now still too expensive. This updating to digital is I think is stupid. Since the problem in Spore is with lousy programs & not poor reception.

duluxe

Alfrescian
Loyal
My old CRT TV was one of the more expensive models costing $3k+. It sits in my living room & my parents like the set. A pity to throw it away since it is still working & even if I want throw it away it is too big & heavy for me to carry.

I will probably eventually replace it with a 4K TV. However 4K TVs are now still too expensive. This updating to digital is I think is stupid. Since the problem in Spore is with lousy programs & not poor reception.

Don't worry about the weight and don't need to throw away.

My suggestions:
1. Hail a karung guni man when one is nearby your house. He can carry out of your house free and give you some tips for it ($)
2. Donate to an orphanage house.
3. Donate to a senior corner nearby.

GOD IS MY DOG

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Personally, I feel the CRT colors more natural then the plasma/LED/LCD.

precisely..............CRT is best for colour followed by plasma.....................movie studios uses CRTs for mastering...........

still waiting for the digital tuners to come down in price, must be very little people buy so tv promoting it now..............

talked to MDA guy and he told me analog signals will continue up to 20 years!

duluxe

Alfrescian
Loyal
precisely..............CRT is best for colour followed by plasma.....................movie studios uses CRTs for mastering...........

still waiting for the digital tuners to come down in price, must be very little people buy so tv promoting it now..............

Thank you god! I can keep my non-digital LED TV for a few more years.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
precisely..........

Analog might be around but I think the PAP is forcing the change by stopping the broadcast of analog signals:confused:

app:
I went to the MDA website & read their FAQ on this issue http://www.ifaq.gov.sg/MDA/apps/fcd...FJl3qrfNafC6yRWRkW+mBRm4/V8RQVJpw==#FAQ_45119

What happens if I do not do anything?
The switch-over to digital broadcasting began in December 2013. The existing analogue TV signals will continue to be broadcast alongside the digital TV signals, for at least another two years until Singapore and ASEAN complete the switch-over to digital broadcasting. Thereafter, the analogue FTA TV signals would be switched off and only digital FTA TV signals would be transmitted. If you do not get the right equipment to receive digital TV signals and you are not a pay TV subscriber, you will not be able to watch MediaCorp’s FTA channels after their current analogue channels have been phased out.
- See more at: http://www.ifaq.gov.sg/MDA/apps/fcd...FJl3qrfNafC6yRWRkW+mBRm4/V8RQVJpw==#FAQ_45119

Last edited:

Dark Knight

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
In reality, mediacorpse already started broadcasting some of those digital tv channels long time ago.
IMHO, it's just another form of "wireless gimmicks" which is trying to promote new sales of hardware and gadgets.
Their intention is to slowly move away from the cable tv which is starhub's strong hold.
For older TV box you still need to rely on starhub's cable connection.

Last edited:

GOD IS MY DOG

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Analog might be around but I think the PAP is forcing the change by stopping the broadcast of analog signals:confused:

app:
I went to the MDA website & read their FAQ on this issue http://www.ifaq.gov.sg/MDA/apps/fcd...FJl3qrfNafC6yRWRkW+mBRm4/V8RQVJpw==#FAQ_45119

What happens if I do not do anything?
The switch-over to digital broadcasting began in December 2013. The existing analogue TV signals will continue to be broadcast alongside the digital TV signals, for at least another two years until Singapore and ASEAN complete the switch-over to digital broadcasting. Thereafter, the analogue FTA TV signals would be switched off and only digital FTA TV signals would be transmitted. If you do not get the right equipment to receive digital TV signals and you are not a pay TV subscriber, you will not be able to watch MediaCorp’s FTA channels after their current analogue channels have been phased out.
- See more at: http://www.ifaq.gov.sg/MDA/apps/fcd...FJl3qrfNafC6yRWRkW+mBRm4/V8RQVJpw==#FAQ_45119

the MDA guy say MDA will continue analogue signals up to 20 years...................depends on how many people buy the set-up box plus how many tvs come with the digital tuners, so far only the big expensive tvs got digital tuners built-in

GOD IS MY DOG

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
You must be blind, CRT is horrible with the scanning lines, colors oversaturated, flickering, what natural are you talking about?

people say natural...............not quality of picture...............Hollywood studios using CRTs from Sony for mastering..........

winners

Alfrescian
Loyal
Go JB buy a black box lah, only SGD150
The DRACO set-top box selling for S$129 in Sinkie Land is already a ripoff. But I ended buying 1 set 2 months ago as I wanted to try the Full HD reception. The sharpness and color reproduction are definitely better than analog transmissions.

Now, I'm waiting for PANASONIC to release a model which has TVB2 tuner and can also do USB recording. I know LG already has it, but I never like Korean products anyway.